Glutamate/GABA - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 81 Old 06-27-2010, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm tentatively planning to keep the GABA (Shannon, I'm using one of Yasko's GABA for each kid, so that's 500mg... 2 was iffy, I think the emotional/tiredness stuff was borderline there, so I stepped back) and the grapeseed extract in place for a while, to see if it eases things as we start chelating again in the fall. I haven't noticed a difference with the GABA, so part of me thinks it's odd to keep, except it's the norm for supps to be generally helpful without giving big, specific immediate benefits for us (the ones I write about are the exception, but I think stuff is mostly working well together, the B6 being an exception--though it took 2 years to cause issues).

eta: Deb, that was to say, I can't tell if the new supps are enough that I don't see issues now, and they can help prevent me seeing them later when I'm giving the kids ALA and things are more likely to be out of balance, or it's just flat-out not our issue. But since things seem to be working well, and I _really_ want to have enough in place that we can get into a good rhythm of ALA rounds this fall, I think these are worthwhile. So thanks.

And I don't know if it's the DHA--I started some in Apr/May when I learned his vision is so bad, and then more later when I found a cheaper source--or the remyelination supps, or the combination of the two--but I think DS is doing well making connections, making good developmental progress, maybe even developmental leaps. I think these are affordable enough that I can keep them for, say, the remainder of the year and then at some point see which I can drop while we're chelating and not see any issues start to crop up.
#62 of 81 Old 06-27-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
I am interested in this connection between glutamates and ear wax... what's the mechanism for that? My lo has always had copious dark ear wax pretty much since he was born. He is at "baseline" (for us means no diarrhea, mucous poop, skin rxns) but still has the ear wax, cradle crap, and darkish undereyes. We are off a lot of foods, so I am not interested in eliminating anything else.
DD has always had excess wax too. She had bad cradle cap but I picked it off when she was about 13 months and it hasn't returned(she's 2) so that's a good sign right? I wonder If she still has a lot of earwax I haven't had anyone look in her ears in awhile. Dd also has the darkish under eyes that get puffy usually first thing in the AM. Do your LOs eyes get puffy??
#63 of 81 Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
I'm tentatively planning to keep the GABA (Shannon, I'm using one of Yasko's GABA for each kid, so that's 500mg... 2 was iffy, I think the emotional/tiredness stuff was borderline there, so I stepped back) and the grapeseed extract in place for a while, to see if it eases things as we start chelating again in the fall. I haven't noticed a difference with the GABA, so part of me thinks it's odd to keep, except it's the norm for supps to be generally helpful without giving big, specific immediate benefits for us (the ones I write about are the exception, but I think stuff is mostly working well together, the B6 being an exception--though it took 2 years to cause issues).

eta: Deb, that was to say, I can't tell if the new supps are enough that I don't see issues now, and they can help prevent me seeing them later when I'm giving the kids ALA and things are more likely to be out of balance, or it's just flat-out not our issue. But since things seem to be working well, and I _really_ want to have enough in place that we can get into a good rhythm of ALA rounds this fall, I think these are worthwhile. So thanks.

And I don't know if it's the DHA--I started some in Apr/May when I learned his vision is so bad, and then more later when I found a cheaper source--or the remyelination supps, or the combination of the two--but I think DS is doing well making connections, making good developmental progress, maybe even developmental leaps. I think these are affordable enough that I can keep them for, say, the remainder of the year and then at some point see which I can drop while we're chelating and not see any issues start to crop up.
That's really cool, Tanya. I can't attribute improvements to specific supps any more either - we've seen some general improvements, and I'm willing to foot the supps bill for now to keep them in place. Once we're done with metals (close now, I think), and get through a winter without being sick all the time, and get through Yasko's more intensive language/remyelination protocol, then I will start experimenting with reducing some of the supps. But I can tell that they make a big difference - chelating doesn't trash his sleep any more, for example. And as DH put it, he'll happily pay $300/month for me to have sleep . But that's the bill for a pretty complex kid.

The connections your son is making is interesting - that's the progress people tend to report with both better methylation and remyelination, so sounds very positive. Subtle, but as you say, your kids don't tend to have a lot of "obvious" symptoms. You'll know more when you try to chelate or when you hit the winter cold season!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#64 of 81 Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 AM

OK... so I followed the link from my other thread over to here. I read the thread and bought GABA and grapeseed extract to try the experiment in post #19. I gave it to Toad twice today (I knew the post said one capsule and then later morning and afternoon and thought that was the first day ) and he was off.the.wall today. Lots of meltdowns, out of character more needy of attention and interaction as well as constant supervision.

Now he sometimes has days like this... but is there any chance it was the GABA? Because he certainly was not "mushy" or sleepy or any of the good things listed that GABA is supposed to help with if you need it.

I don't know whether to try another two or three tomorrow or just give up on this. I wanted to get perspectives from those who knew more than I.

Side note: Would the fact there is B6 in it have any effect? They didn't have GABA without B6 as well...

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#65 of 81 Old 06-28-2010, 01:14 AM

Yep- that sounds about like the reaction we got from GABA too.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#66 of 81 Old 06-28-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
OK... so I followed the link from my other thread over to here. I read the thread and bought GABA and grapeseed extract to try the experiment in post #19. I gave it to Toad twice today (I knew the post said one capsule and then later morning and afternoon and thought that was the first day ) and he was off.the.wall today. Lots of meltdowns, out of character more needy of attention and interaction as well as constant supervision.

Now he sometimes has days like this... but is there any chance it was the GABA? Because he certainly was not "mushy" or sleepy or any of the good things listed that GABA is supposed to help with if you need it.

I don't know whether to try another two or three tomorrow or just give up on this. I wanted to get perspectives from those who knew more than I.

Side note: Would the fact there is B6 in it have any effect? They didn't have GABA without B6 as well...
Dang, there are a lot of you in the 10% who have a hard time adding GABA! That's how DS reacted to it as well. We persisted, because it is critical to language, but I had to add it VERY slowly. He's still only getting 2/3 capsule a day, and that is spread out into 4 doses (mixed in with his other boatload of supps he gets 4x a day). He needed B12 to be able to handle the gaba as well. However, it has been one of the most valuable supps to add - it took a couple of weeks to kick in, and we had to sneak up the dosing from a sprinkle, a tiny increase at a time, but it has definitely helped with both calm and sleep.

B6 wouldn't be helpful here, but not every kid is sensitive to it.

Tomorrow, try the grapeseed extract instead. That one seems to be easy for everyone to add, and it directly works on the glutamate side of things. If that goes well, try adding a much, much smaller amount of GABA and see what impact that has.

#67 of 81 Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 AM

ACK!!! That isn't good. OK... but it is good to know that he might still need it so we shouldn't give up just yet. changingseasons does your child take it at all now?

I will try the GSE. I wanted to get opinions on what I have before I give it to him though. It's this one. Good? Bad? Do I want something else or will that work. I'm asking because it says concentrate and I don't know what that means in this case.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#68 of 81 Old 06-28-2010, 01:05 PM

Nope, we gave up. I was really just trying it to counter her craziness during food reactions, but it just made it worse.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#69 of 81 Old 06-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Alison, that seems like it should work - just start slow .

#70 of 81 Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
DD has always had excess wax too. She had bad cradle cap but I picked it off when she was about 13 months and it hasn't returned(she's 2) so that's a good sign right? I wonder If she still has a lot of earwax I haven't had anyone look in her ears in awhile. Dd also has the darkish under eyes that get puffy usually first thing in the AM. Do your LOs eyes get puffy??
His eyes were really puffy for a long time. Maybe his first year or so? He still gets that occasionally. Maybe it's histamines? He doesnt seem to react to them much anymore but he used to often.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#71 of 81 Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Pancreas and enzymes thread
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...2#post15567542

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#72 of 81 Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Alison, that seems like it should work - just start slow .
OK, I gave him a part of one capsule today. What am I looking for here? How will I know when we've hit the right amount (or on the flip side if it's not going to work at all).

Alison
#73 of 81 Old 07-03-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

"Vitamin B6, manganese, taurine and lysine can increase both GABA synthesis and effects"
http://www.dcnutrition.com/aminoacid...cordNumber=133

#74 of 81 Old 07-07-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

did this link get posted yet?
http://www.dramyyasko.com/Publicatio...C5C540020.html

#75 of 81 Old 07-14-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Dang, there are a lot of you in the 10% who have a hard time adding GABA! That's how DS reacted to it as well. We persisted, because it is critical to language, but I had to add it VERY slowly. He's still only getting 2/3 capsule a day, and that is spread out into 4 doses (mixed in with his other boatload of supps he gets 4x a day). He needed B12 to be able to handle the gaba as well. However, it has been one of the most valuable supps to add - it took a couple of weeks to kick in, and we had to sneak up the dosing from a sprinkle, a tiny increase at a time, but it has definitely helped with both calm and sleep.

B6 wouldn't be helpful here, but not every kid is sensitive to it.

Tomorrow, try the grapeseed extract instead. That one seems to be easy for everyone to add, and it directly works on the glutamate side of things. If that goes well, try adding a much, much smaller amount of GABA and see what impact that has.
What kind of things might you see adding just the grapeseed extract w/out the GABA, in terms of realizing if it was helpful? I'm honestly fearful of adding GABA and getting a huge crazy-ds reaction, which I just don't know that I could handle atm. I feel like he probably does have glutamate issues, and we both had wonky reactions to drinking quite a bit of oatstraw infusion (him for the first time, me in a large amount after not having it in a loooooong time) 2 days ago. He has seemed more off the wall/full of energy/needing to bang his body around the place--lots of jumping, slamming into the floor/wall/me/etc. (I got a really foggy head, which lasted overnight, to the next day, and seemed to clear up mostly soon after eating a couple handfuls of almonds, which I realize are a high GABA food. Not sure if that's why, but I found it fascinating...)

If I were to try grapeseed extract, how many milligrams would you start w/? Approx? Ds is 3, 40 lbs.

TIA!!!!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#76 of 81 Old 07-14-2010, 11:48 AM

grapseed extract, I do a capsule a day for DS, who is 3 - and I started with a full capsule. I see less stimming and better sleep, but mostly it helps with tolerating gaba and high glutamate foods.

#77 of 81 Old 07-14-2010, 12:13 PM

Thanks mamafish--do you know how many milligrams are in one of your capsules? I've seen them range from 50-100mg I think, and have seen the liquid extract in 25 mg doses...

I traditional foods
#78 of 81 Old 07-14-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Thanks mamafish--do you know how many milligrams are in one of your capsules? I've seen them range from 50-100mg I think, and have seen the liquid extract in 25 mg doses...
Ours is 100mg I believe and we too did a full capsule right from the start. So far so good with him with that. I even added a sprinkle of GABA to it now and he's ok with that (he reacted very badly when we tried GABA first).

My son is 3 as well (will be 4 next month) and around 36-38lbs.

Alison
#79 of 81 Old 07-14-2010, 03:04 PM

Thanks triscuitsmom!

I traditional foods
#80 of 81 Old 11-04-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

bumping, for the b12/calcium/magnesium/glutamate connections on page 1.

#81 of 81 Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 AM

I want to try GABA myself for quite some time but not sure which brand to start off with, any suggestions

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page