Time for DS's own thread, me thinks. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-18-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe this is a long shot, but I am trying to understand or find some sort of correlation between what is on DS's ELISA test so that I have a good plan of attack for challenging things. (FWIW, he has been a different child in a *good* way since we took everything out)

What is particularly confusing for me is that he tested highly reactive to (in this order of severity) rye, spelt, wheat gliadin, wheat gluten and whole wheat. He did not react at all to barley. For our elimination we pulled all gluten because that just made the most sense to us to start with. What I don't understand is how he can be non-reactive to barley, yet show reactivity to other glutenous grains. Could he, for example, show reactive to wheat gluten just because it is WHEAT and not because of the gluten? Or, perhaps barley was a false negative.

Does anyone see a pattern here that I could be missing?

Also I am wondering what the likelihood of chicken egg being reactive because of chicken feed/corn.

I'll list all the highly and moderately reactive foods here just to give a complete picture (in order of severity):

Highly Reactive:
Egg white (chicken)
Rye
Spelt
Wheat Gliadin
Wheat Gluten
Whole Wheat

Moderately Reactive:
Egg Yolk (chicken)
Red Grape
Runner Peanut
Soy Bean

He is also off dairy and corn. Corn I suspect is IgE (he clearly reacts and my sis has IgE corn allergy). Dairy is either because his system is angry, IgE, or a false neg due to him being off it for nearly his whole life.

Thank you so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-19-2010, 11:31 PM

I would think with your grains list that the barley is probably a false negative. Especially if you are having good results being off all gluten.

I know that some who are intolerant to gluten also have a difficult time with certain other proteins--soy, egg, and dairy. There was a time dd couldn't do three of the four. She now doesn't react to soy (big whoop) and can't have egg. I miss eggs for baking!

With the dairy, it could be intolerance or just a damaged gut from all the other stuff (dairy is difficult to process for many and a leaky gut esp could have a hard time with it). HTH!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#3 of 5 Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Could it be that he's allergic to something else in the barley besides gluten? DS was positive (igG) for wheat and oats but not barley or rye...He also tested positive on the igE test for eggs but not chicken.

CPST & mom

#4 of 5 Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Had he been off barley before the test? That's cause for a possible false negative. And they're just not 100% accurate anyway. If there's a huge good difference being off all gluten grains, I'd keep them out. With DS, he was on/off soy since birth. When we did the ALCAT (intolerance test, but not specifically IgG), he'd been off milk and soy for 18 months. He still tested severe for milk, but only tested mild for soy, even though I knew it was just as bad as soy, so I kept him off it. So time off things can effect the tests. Eggs are pretty allergenic (both allergy and intolerance) so it could be the corn in the feed or just the eggs themselves. My DS can't have chicken or egg.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 5 Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Oops on abandoning my own post (family in town)! Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them no less!

Dannic--That's what I was thinking re: false neg on the barley...I am keeping my fingers crossed that his gut can heal with the true offenders out and we can get some other foods back.

an_aurora--Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. Like what the likelihood would be that it is gluten over a reaction to the particular grains.

kjbrown--he was not off barley, but I don't know that we ate it often at all. You helped me have a lightbulb moment on the eggs/corn. He tested fine for chicken, so the + for eggs is probably not because of corn, but because eggs are eggs. I was hoping it was corn, because I have been getting backyard chicken eggs from a lady here and she doesn't have to give them much feed. Ah, oh well.

We still haven't challenged anything yet. It seems like he is still getting to baseline. As in, he has slept in every day this week (and is still sleeping as I type this) and didn't do that last week. Maybe next week we'll be there.

What would you all recommend starting with for challenging, or do you think it really matters?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page