Pancreas and Digestive Enzymes - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-18-2010, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup, that's why I finally figured out he needed more B6 - slept through the night last night .

Any other nutrients required in large quantities? Trying to stay ahead of the curve here, and for some reason, the google is not providing good answers this time.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
taurine synthesis requires B6.
Is it also zinc for general amino acid conversion stuff?

Are you looking at cholesterol nutrients, like b5, b6, mag, b1, etc?

Whenever you're ready for a project, deb, feel free to tackle dd's sleep. When she starts regularly sleeping through the night... Oh man!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:26 AM

Keep pushing B12, Shannon - it took a couple of months at the B12 levels DS needed, and then his neurotransmitters started leveling off a lot (I assume you have her on some folate too?)

So, bizarre experience in Yasko land - I posted about going off the enzymes and doing fat appetizers instead. Got blasted by Dr. Amy - and then she pulled out my son's file and put a bunch of stuff about his data in her reply (and all she has is the tests before we started her protocol). But I was very surprised to see her share that much data about my child in a semi-public forum. Got a lot of PMs from other parents wanting to know how I did it though .

I'm about to run a Genova stool test on DS that should check that both his bile and pancreatic enzyme activity is in reasonable ranges (it looks at chymotrypsin, SCFA, and several other things) and also where his gut flora is currently at, so I know if we have more work to do there or not.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Weird response!

I'm definitely going to be hanging out in b12 land for quite some time. It's too magical for dd (and after sublingual b12 had zero noticeable effect, too!). I'm on a ton of folate and shes still getting a fair bit of milk, so no, no folate for her. I'll just keep watching for slow improvement

Old 10-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Update - it's been several weeks now off the enzymes. Like any other major diet changes for DS (adding dairy, weaning), we've had major issues rebalancing his vites & minerals to adapt to the change. Sleep issues, teeth grinding, stopped pooping, mood swings - all his usual cast of symptoms.

I think we finally have it back on track - sleep has been better, moods are good, teeth grinding is gone, and I think poop is back on track. Pooping was the worst, he went back to that place where he had a zillion tiny poops - soft, but big effort just to get out a little - like his muscles weren't contracting and relaxing properly. I finally know the link - it's zinc. Zinc is a cofactor for a prostaglandin (PGE) that impacts smooth muscles and gut peristalsis. Sure enough, upped his zinc and problem solved.

So, long story to say, by taking out the enzymes and looking to his body to produce its own CCK, bile, and enzymes now, we've seen at least a 25% increase in his need for B's (particularly P5P/B6), zinc, & mag. That's just based on symptoms. I'll be doing more testing in the next several weeks that may indicate some more stuff. CCK apparently improves absorption of zinc, mag, and calcium, and his needs still went up a lot, so that's kind of interesting.

Anyhow - Shannon, any chance you're having trouble ditching the enzymes because you're running short of something when you do? DH is having the same problems - so now we're doing appetizers for him, but then enzymes with his meals.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:03 PM

How is the pine nut oil working?

Old 03-12-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

I've given up on the pine nut oil, in favor of butter before meals. But really, I've given up on it all in favor of a (plant-based) digestive enzyme so that I don't kill my own ability to make enzymes, and focusing on other ways of gut healing instead. I still think the butter's a good idea, but my system is super sensitive and I'm not being as consistent as I'd like so it's on hold for a while.

User Tag List