Juicy July Chat in the Allergy Forum - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 580 Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hugs Kathy, all of that sounds so stressful. Got any rescue remedY?

FWIW, I made an extensive search of CVS yesterday when I went to pick up some motrin. Boy do they put a lot of crap in that stuff. Why is there HFCS & dye in a children's medicine? Makes no sense.

Anyhoo, they did have a dye-free infant tylenol-knockoff. It was CVS brand. Not sure if there are objectionable ingredients but it might be worth a shot. Let me know if you want to look.

We resorted to giving DS ibuprofin with the crap in it last night b/c he was so miserable. Took him to the ped this am. Lungs sounded good, ears looked good, tummy seemed good. She thinks its just a virus but said if the fever persists for a couple more days to bring him back. He's much better this am than he was last night so I'm hoping he's on the mend, even if the fever comes back this afternoon.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#302 of 580 Old 07-14-2010, 01:07 PM

Fever's back again. So tired. DS2 and DS3 were like yo-yos last night until 1am, so I ended up awake until 2am trying to get some downtime. Then they were up at 5:30 this morning.
Thrush is NOT going away. I should probably call for some Nystatin or something.

Kathy- have they said that homeopathics are off-limits as well? I so hope you're feeling better soon.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#303 of 580 Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 PM

My mom just called me. Told her I was sick. Her response? "Oh you're always sick. You're just like Grandma." (Bear in mind that the names she and my gran called my grandma behind her back included "hypochondriac", "lazy" and "health obsessed".) Told her R and M are sick too. "Well, that's half your problem right there. You need to stop nursing those kids. It's not natural."
Then her phone died. Which is good because I may have told her what to do with that sentiment.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#304 of 580 Old 07-14-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post

FWIW, I made an extensive search of CVS yesterday when I went to pick up some motrin. Boy do they put a lot of crap in that stuff. Why is there HFCS & dye in a children's medicine? Makes no sense.
Check your area for a compounding pharmacy... they can compound the meds you need (even otc stuff) without the crap you don't want usually. It can get pretty expensive though.
#305 of 580 Old 07-14-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Nope, but I have my cell salts. Of course my release papers said nothing but prescribed medicines for 5 days after surgery, including supplements of any kind.

Quote:

Anyhoo, they did have a dye-free infant tylenol-knockoff. It was CVS brand. Not sure if there are objectionable ingredients but it might be worth a shot. Let me know if you want to look.
I've looked in two CVSs, Rite Aid, and 3 grocery stores, and none had a tylenol or knock-off that didn't have something in it she couldn't have. Her temp is 102.6 at the moment, but she's in swimming with her dad. And she's coughing a lot but doesn't want to go to the doctor. I found a pediactrician up here with good reviews so we'll try that instead of the walk in clinic.

Quote:
We resorted to giving DS ibuprofin with the crap in it last night b/c he was so miserable. Took him to the ped this am. Lungs sounded good, ears looked good, tummy seemed good. She thinks its just a virus but said if the fever persists for a couple more days to bring him back. He's much better this am than he was last night so I'm hoping he's on the mend, even if the fever comes back this afternoon.
I hope he's getting better for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Fever's back again. So tired. DS2 and DS3 were like yo-yos last night until 1am, so I ended up awake until 2am trying to get some downtime. Then they were up at 5:30 this morning.
Thrush is NOT going away. I should probably call for some Nystatin or something.
Wish I could help you out. You always seem to have so much on your plate.

Quote:

My mom just called me. Told her I was sick. Her response? "Oh you're always sick. You're just like Grandma." (Bear in mind that the names she and my gran called my grandma behind her back included "hypochondriac", "lazy" and "health obsessed".) Told her R and M are sick too. "Well, that's half your problem right there. You need to stop nursing those kids. It's not natural."
Then her phone died. Which is good because I may have told her what to do with that sentiment.
Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
Kathy - how are you feeling today? Still wired/wide awake? DH had the same reaction to percoset as well as his dad. I don't think it was a traditional food reaction, but a drug reaction.
Been following along with your story about your surgery and your daughter. So sorry that you are separated from her, and glad that the surgery is behind you - now time to recover.
Quote:
Hugs. I hope it passes soon.
Got an acupuncturist you could go see?
Then my back started spasming, so I'm thinking the percocet. I called them this morning and there's "pregelatinized starch" in it, and found out it was corn. Figures. I tried the only acupuncturist in the phone book up here a few summers ago and he wasn't very good.

Just ate half a tub of green olive hummus with rice crackers. My new favorite snack food.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#306 of 580 Old 07-14-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Ouch. So nice to have some compassion in your life, huh?

Bleh. This is the 2nd day in a row that I've gotten a crazy stomach ache after doing yard work. As soon as I sit down (because I'm exhausted), it starts hurting. Good thing I have mineral water- it seems to help a bit. There's my whine for the day.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#307 of 580 Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM

That's it. Time for everyone to get better!

Now!

JR, glad your mother's phone died. Did not sound like that conversation was going well.

Kathy, sucks all around but good that she's swimming, right?

CS, sucks about the stomach. Maybe its just because of the pregnancy.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#308 of 580 Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 PM

Went to the doctor. Said G's throat, ears, lungs, etc. were clear. Just sounded like a bad virus/cold. She had no recommendations for tylenol though, unless I wanted to try motrin again with her. It's been 3 years. Last time's reaction was immediate vomiting. Should I chance it. Her temp is only 102.5 now, and she just had some dinner. But she's down to 40 lbs. from 45 lbs. My boob hurts.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#309 of 580 Old 07-14-2010, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
How much longer are you guys here? Can we plan another fun day to take their minds off of things?
I'm torn. Today... today it's a good thing, for their well-being, that I love the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Would it help them to know that you miss home too, and are excited about driving home help? Somehow turn it into an adventure to get home? It sounds rough, but know you're planting seeds in my head for future road trips with just kids, no dh. I never got why anyone would want to do that, but I'm starting to see the up side...
eta: lately I'm breaking a lot of quotes, I don't know how. well, I guess carelessness is the most likely answer.

It does help to talk things through, and we do that, it helped 2 years ago too. It's been interesting, in a twisted way, to watch them these past few days. Both were in bed with me by morning, but they also both slept in. Then were holy terrors at Costco.

The thing is--this gives us so much more flexibility to visit family, it's really great in that regard. Long visits w/o burning all of DH's vacation time. And I think it'll be cool for him to see how they've changed--DS is doing a lot more numbers stuff, I think he's getting alliteration (he was starting to hear alliteration back in May, right before our failed modified citrus pectin experiment, so it's nice to see that back) and DD is officially reading, albeit at a little kid level. Asked me, in the Costco checkout line, "Are we going to the cart side or the member side?" after reading the labels/arrows that pointed carts to one side of the cashier and people to the other side. So cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
Tanya - tough to be away from home for so long. Do you have an FEs with you? I'm not good enough to recommend, but I saw AMAZING results with FEs with my oldest this week.
I did not plan well enough on that regard. Would've definitely helped DS, he's been saying he's scared to go to the bathroom here by himself, it's not far away, and it's pink (not scary). I need to pull them from the back of the shelf when I get home and re-acquaint myself with them. Maybe for DH too now--now that he's in the getting-happier mode that it's still happening, then maybe they'll help.

... So I'm finalizing the list of supps for my mom to buy, I hope she doesn't freak at about $100 worth of cell salts (for > 4 months, not per month!)... I really think they'll be useful to her.
#310 of 580 Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Dannic, have you seen this rebuttal to the china study? You were the one who just read it, right?
http://westonaprice.org/blogs.html
I haven't finished it; I'll check it(the article) out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Ouch. So nice to have some compassion in your life, huh?

Bleh. This is the 2nd day in a row that I've gotten a crazy stomach ache after doing yard work. As soon as I sit down (because I'm exhausted), it starts hurting. Good thing I have mineral water- it seems to help a bit. There's my whine for the day.
Heatstroke? Be good to yourself.
Quote:
That's it. Time for everyone to get better!

Now!

JR, glad your mother's phone died. Did not sound like that conversation was going well.

Kathy, sucks all around but good that she's swimming, right?

CS, sucks about the stomach. Maybe its just because of the pregnancy.

What? When did I miss this??? CONGRATS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Went to the doctor. Said G's throat, ears, lungs, etc. were clear. Just sounded like a bad virus/cold. She had no recommendations for tylenol though, unless I wanted to try motrin again with her. It's been 3 years. Last time's reaction was immediate vomiting. Should I chance it. Her temp is only 102.5 now, and she just had some dinner. But she's down to 40 lbs. from 45 lbs. My boob hurts.
I'd just make sure she is well hydrated and let the fever do its thing...but I'm a non interventionalist.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#311 of 580 Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
I'd just make sure she is well hydrated and let the fever do its thing...but I'm a non interventionalist.
I'm fine with under 103 not medicating, but when it starts getting really high, like the other night when it was 104.5, I start to worry. I don't have any more safe tylenol anyway, and she hasn't had any since Sunday night. My mother said that her temp was between 101-103 while I was gone. Tonight it was only 101, so I figure it's waning. I told DH that as soon as we brought her to the dr she'd get better.

So my rash was getting better while I was gone, and I think I figured out it was the Olay liquid soap that I'd been using up here. I hate having to worry about a reaction from every single thing I use.

#312 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 12:21 AM

UC Berkeley is talking about offering all freshmen genetic testing for 3 genes, including MTHFR. Woah. From this article (the local PBS), it sounds like they might not be distinguishing 5mthf and folic acid...
http://www.kqed.org/quest/blog/2010/...-genetic-test/

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#313 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 01:05 AM

I read about that a bit ago, I think at one point there was talk of some sort of lottery for a much longer set of genes to be tested for fewer students. Made me wish, just momentarily, that I was a college student again.

I'd expect the company to explain it better than the author of the article--I hope anyway. And a bit of extra folate is really what it means, in the most direct sense, though the implications of a lifetime of insufficient folate are more complex and individualized.

So, heading home Saturday. Need to start cooking and making sure I've got enough food, our trip to Costco today helped with that. And laundry is getting closer to done (who'd think that twice, on a 1-month trip, I'd have to take the cover off the carseat to wash it?).

So I can't tell if it's coincidence, but a couple times now, it seems like stomach aches are happening for DD after her Perque chewable multivit. At this point, since it seems to be her default stress reaction, it's hard to know for sure, but I'm going to pay closer attention now. Maybe I should just look for a simple B complex from Thorne, maybe with less B6 but still some folate, and see if that does anything.

Anyone know of a good supp, not terribly expensive, for vision support? For my mom. I know it's unlikely, but I thought I'd ask. If cost weren't an issue, I'd more strongly push for acupuncture (the liver - eye relationship in TCM) but cost _is_ an issue. She's taking something that's just lutein and I'm trying to figure out something economical that has more than that but, well, I don't know a whole lot about the topic.
#314 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 AM

Another china study link for dannic. I swear they're coming to me, I'm not searching them out!
http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the...act-or-fallac/

#315 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Anyone know of a good supp, not terribly expensive, for vision support? For my mom. I know it's unlikely, but I thought I'd ask. If cost weren't an issue, I'd more strongly push for acupuncture (the liver - eye relationship in TCM) but cost _is_ an issue. She's taking something that's just lutein and I'm trying to figure out something economical that has more than that but, well, I don't know a whole lot about the topic.
What eye issues? Vitamin A is awesome for eyes, eye stims, vision issues.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#316 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 AM

Totally OT - I have an interview next Tuesday! I didn't think I would be excited about getting a job, but this one is at the library just 6 blocks from our house, and it's only 8 hours a week (split into 3 days.) Perfect. Keep all fingers crossed that I get this job, because we REALLY need the extra cash now that we have birth to pay for.....

#317 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
What eye issues? Vitamin A is awesome for eyes, eye stims, vision issues.
She has cataracts forming, still minor at this point, and dry eye which I think may be more directly vitamin A related, so for that and other reasons, vitamin A's on my list of supps for her already. So I guess it's cataract concerns, plus something else that's odd that I forget the details for, maybe the pressure in one eye is higher than the other? It's changing, she's seen a more specialized optometrist who isn't terribly concerned but it's not normal, yk?

CS--yay! And I think I need to skip getting together, though I'm not going to tell the kids because they'd be really bummed. I'm bummed too, but I can't not tell myself. But I am dragging, the kids are needy, and I need to finish getting ready for 5 days of driving which, since I'm dragging, is a bit harder than it otherwise could be. I can tell I've been away from home for a long time, I need to get back (even though it will be nasty, sticky humid and we'll be living under A/C til October).

I am starting to try to put together my plan for finishing up detox stuff this fall and then stopping that, so whatever crap's still floating around in me stops floating and settles somewhere, before potentially TTC in the spring. Which feels very up in the air because I am so hopeful that we'll be settled in CO by then, but if we're not, I don't want to wait. I just want my little plan to unfold uneventfully... now everyone raise their hands who's had all the big and little milestones in their life unfold uneventfully.

But what I mean is, even though I've really not wanted to focus on doing everything that could be done, and getting every molecule of weirdness out of myself, a small part of me is worrying in that direction. Which is really irrational, in so many ways, and unrealistic, and just stupid. I can list all the reasons, from the physical, tangible side to the general nutrition stuff to the emotional/spiritual reasons that taking an extreme view is unhealthy. But that nagging little voice persists, maybe because I've lost some of my naive optimism? That may be it. The reality that we don't have any guarantees, kids can have serious health issues, not the stuff I've dealt with but really, truly serious stuff, is much more real to me now.
#318 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I'm fine with under 103 not medicating, but when it starts getting really high, like the other night when it was 104.5, I start to worry. I don't have any more safe tylenol anyway, and she hasn't had any since Sunday night. My mother said that her temp was between 101-103 while I was gone. Tonight it was only 101, so I figure it's waning. I told DH that as soon as we brought her to the dr she'd get better.

This is what happened to Adam. I took him in yesterday in the AM and his temp was still 101. My mom fretted all day as he was running around like a holy terror.

So my rash was getting better while I was gone, and I think I figured out it was the Olay liquid soap that I'd been using up here. I hate having to worry about a reaction from every single thing I use.
Yeah on figuring it out! Glad it wasn't the sun screen. DD has a mystery rash right now. We're thinking either too much bath soap or pool chlorine.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#319 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 AM

I am in urgent need of some ideas to get some fattening food into a picky toddler. No dairy/gluten/corn or soy.

Anyone?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#320 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I am in urgent need of some ideas to get some fattening food into a picky toddler. No dairy/gluten/corn or soy.

Anyone?
Can you do eggs in coconut oil? One of you lost eggs recently, didn't you?
Avocadoes?
Meatballs?
Gravy with pan drippings
French fries with ketchup (my ketchup recipe I've been using is pretty easy)
coconut milk in smoothies (and freeze leftovers as pops)
coconut milk ice cream
peanut butter on rice cakes

#321 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Can you do eggs in coconut oil? One of you lost eggs recently, didn't you? - Yes
Avocadoes? Won't touch em
Meatballs? On a good day, might give a second look
Gravy with pan drippings You mean just gravy?
French fries with ketchup (my ketchup recipe I've been using is pretty easy) Would eat these
coconut milk in smoothies (and freeze leftovers as pops)Sometimes will try it
coconut milk ice cream Sometime yes, sometimes no
peanut butter on rice cakes
Won't touch any kind of nutbutter

You can see my dilemma here. He is *hard* to feed. I'm just not sure what to do.

But thanks for the ideas.

How is it at camp kathy? DD2 better?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#322 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Anyone?
Do that raw chocolate "pudding" that I posted a few pages back. You can't tell at all that there is avocado in it, and you can use coconut oil to get some extra fats in there.

#323 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Won't touch any kind of nutbutter

You can see my dilemma here. He is *hard* to feed. I'm just not sure what to do.

But thanks for the ideas.

How is it at camp kathy? DD2 better?
My kids would dip anything in gravy. Also put on gravy on baked potatoes, rice, etc.

We do meatballs on toothpicks (for fun), meatballs in gravy (swedish meatballs), meatballs in sauce.

I just keep trying different things. My DS is picky so I'm always looking for new snacks for him too.

Camp is peaceful. DD2 is coughing a lot. DH got up with her last night a few times to get her water and stuff. I slept better last night than the night before. I still feel nauseous though. And felt like I was going to faint when I took a shower. And sore. So not 100%. And my SIL called this morning and wanted to know if I wanted her to bring DD1 to the doctor with her kids, who she was picking up from Granny Camp because they all had fevers. Great. I said if she was only sick yesterday, and didn't want tylenol or anything, that it was probably just viral so no. I called her for her bday about an hour ago and she said she was fine, so who knows - very fast virus or something. She said everyone was better today. DS apparently hasn't caught it yet.

I'll think on some other fattening snacks... what about pine nut ricotta on things? I use it as a dip for rice crackers.

#324 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
She has cataracts forming, still minor at this point, and dry eye which I think may be more directly vitamin A related, so for that and other reasons, vitamin A's on my list of supps for her already. So I guess it's cataract concerns, plus something else that's odd that I forget the details for, maybe the pressure in one eye is higher than the other? It's changing, she's seen a more specialized optometrist who isn't terribly concerned but it's not normal, yk?
I'd try A, adenosyl B12 in small amounts, and pancreatic supps (because blood sugar issues can be related to eye issues) - something simple and inexpensive like the glandulars. Maybe some liver glandular too.

#325 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 06:06 PM

chlobo, possibly consider the ACAT support from Yasko, or pine nut oil that Shannon has been experimenting with. It's made a huge difference for DD, my picky eater.

#326 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
chlobo, possibly consider the ACAT support from Yasko, or pine nut oil that Shannon has been experimenting with. It's made a huge difference for DD, my picky eater.
Are those both supplements? I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet & get them tested. Can't hurt. Might help.

Hmm. Which ACAT supplement did you use? Seems like the nut oil might be cheaper.

Oh Shannon, can you refresh me?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#327 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 PM

http://www.siberiantigernaturals.com/orderproducts.htm
That's the pine nut oil i have. It's really mild, and would easily mix in just about anywhere you can mix in an oil. Even just plain, tossed in noodles or something. Adult dose is something like 1 tsp per meal, so not too much at all. I also got some 'product of china' pine nuts from azure, and can say that they likely work too. At least my head is mush today... Those, you could soak and blend and mix into anything to make it creamy, most likely.

#328 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 PM

Is there safe chewing gum? Or do I need to make my own? I'm guessing soy lecithin is the hardest to avoid?

#329 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 PM

If it's not one thing, it's something else.
DS1 was bit by the neighbour's dog while cutting through his yard.

#330 of 580 Old 07-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Is there safe chewing gum? Or do I need to make my own? I'm guessing soy lecithin is the hardest to avoid?
We chew this stuff b/c it doesn't have artificial sweetners. It's about the best I could find. They also have a link on their website for making your own gum.

http://www.gleegum.com/tangerine-gum-ingredients.htm

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page