Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2010, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
That is really exciting Shannon!!
I think I'm just in shock, still. It's kind of like waking up from a dream or something. I never did search the archives here to see if it could have been the lithium that started it. And Deb gets credit for the idea of "chasing the grumpies away." Add to that the grape seed extract/vit C cocktail and presumably better quality milk (from the enzymes) and getting used to new family life and several playmates with grownups like Grammy and my sister and... You get too many variables to track, but an awesome combo that I wouldn't trade. over here

I really think our stuff is mainly nutritional, seeing how we lost foods progressively when dd was a baby. But I'm oh so hopeful that the reason for the tanking nutrition was 'just' a tanking pancreas. And that the pine nuts will fix it. The gut bacteria seem to play a big role, too, seeing as the die off just wont end. They weren't *bad* bacteria, they just don't seem to be helpful. We have never done much in the way of trailing foods, but so far, most of what dd's trailed for herself has gone way better than me trailing stuff. Like she's eating stone fruit and almonds, but I think I react. And her gluten reaction seems pathetic (bedwetting) compared to when I ate it (bloody poop for the babies). So I guess I'm boiling it down to leaky gut and using probiotics and enzymes and pine nuts to heal, which just... Yar... But that's what seems to finally fit. Things like amines and sals just don't seem to be an issue, and I haven't bothered with testing histamines or glutamates or any of those other food chemicals. And since we don't get eczema or asthma or any of those type things, blocked detox pathways don't seem likely either. . I'm tired, I don't think I'm making sense anymore...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 05:20 AM

Arg. Why is it that I'm completely narcoleptic during the day, but as soon as it gets dark I can't sleep?! Stupid pregnancy hormones. Oh well. Got my blogs updated. And now I'm going to bed.....

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:49 PM

I know I dont post here much. I am terrible at keeping up but I do read along (congrats cs!!). I was wondering if some of you detective types could take a look at my weird metabolic panel and let me know what you think could be going on with me. I would surely appreciate it. Here's the thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1244278

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
Old 07-17-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Arg. Why is it that I'm completely narcoleptic during the day, but as soon as it gets dark I can't sleep?! Stupid pregnancy hormones. Oh well. Got my blogs updated. And now I'm going to bed.....
Coughadrenalscoughcough. Or maybe a melatonin thing?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:40 PM

If anyone has seen the lung I coughed up, please post it to me.
I'm so sick of being sick. I can get better any time now. Please? Same goes for DS2.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 07-17-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Coughadrenalscoughcough. Or maybe a melatonin thing?
Well, it's new with the pregnancy, so is it just the pregnancy crashing my adrenals? And what can I even do about then while pregnant?

Old 07-17-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Well, it's new with the pregnancy, so is it just the pregnancy crashing my adrenals? And what can I even do about then while pregnant?
Lower your insulin and lots and lots of magnesium.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I saw extra adrenal stuff while pg, and I think dannic, too? Just increasing nutrients (mag, b5, b6, biotin) helped me (and avoiding my trigger foods). It makes sense, though - your adrenals make some of your sex hormones, and those go pretty high while pg.

My nutrients seemed to go pretty wacky while pg - I think part was the milk drain going away, and fetus needs increasing, but also symptoms changed a bunch. Instead of watching dd for reactions, I was getting the reactions myself. Feeling the adrenal and serotonin crashes harder.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Lower your insulin and lots and lots of magnesium.
Stop trying to make me quit eating sugar. It's my only vice.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 07-17-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Nutrigenomics and epigenetics institute in Arizona, certifications available.

http://www.dadamo.com/ifhi/whoifhi.htm

(days and days behind on reading...)

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:44 PM

chromium's been shown to regulate insulin and is a commonly deficient mineral, iirc

lots of bs and c helped me when i could do it, cs

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 07-17-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Yeah! Although sugar isn't even tasting great to me now. Stupid food aversions. The only thing I want to eat every day is bone broth with rice noodles. Which DD may be reacting to..... sigh.

So smart mamas- this stomach pain thing is continuing. Every day, mid afternoon, my stomach gets so bloated with gas it hurts. Pretty bad. If I chug a bunch of mineral water and get lots of burps, it helps a little, but it always comes back. There is so much pressure that I have to take my bra off, because it just adds pain. It's all upper abdomen/stomach/under the ribs, no lower abdomen pressure or bloating that I can tell. Lasts around 4-5+ hours, then fades a bit and is totally gone by the morning. So.... wth? Just a common pregnancy complaint? Or is there something specific going on with my digestion that I might be able to fix? I tried eating totally different foods today, just in case it was something in my diet that was suddenly causing problems, but it didn't make any difference.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:03 PM

I no longer think that there is such thing as a common pregnancy complaint. THe same idea as common doesn't mean normal. I do think that we pregnant ladies are more susceptible to things, and maybe get more tired easily. But, sorry CS - no ideas.
I have found that my pancreas supps have helped with blood sugar.

Wonderful news Whome!

Good luck on your trip Tanya

JR - have you had a chance to think about homeopathy? I have no ideas for you, but maybe stop off at the homeopathy thread and we can help you problem solve your misery.

So my mil's mother is dying. Family is gathering and my mil is on her big adventure trip with my son. They are in areas that don't get cell phone reception. I feel so bad that she can't be there with her mother.

eta: in total denial that I need to be doing work work.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

Oh and for low appetite, FEs helped a lot for DD2 last year when we tried them.
What are FEs KJBrown? And how old was your DD2 last year. I am looking for ways to up my DD (13 mos) appetite because she is (like most of your LOs') a picky eater and an allergic babe. She just eat much of anything and my milk is definitely not sufficient for her. She was in the 3% last month and not having gained anything this month has to be in the 0%.

How does one get one's toddler to eat good foods and more of them?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I saw extra adrenal stuff while pg, and I think dannic, too? Just increasing nutrients (mag, b5, b6, biotin) helped me (and avoiding my trigger foods). It makes sense, though - your adrenals make some of your sex hormones, and those go pretty high while pg.

My nutrients seemed to go pretty wacky while pg - I think part was the milk drain going away, and fetus needs increasing, but also symptoms changed a bunch. Instead of watching dd for reactions, I was getting the reactions myself. Feeling the adrenal and serotonin crashes harder.
Yup. Adrenals took a major hit, but then somehow began to get better than they were before...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
chromium's been shown to regulate insulin and is a commonly deficient mineral, iirc

lots of bs and c helped me when i could do it, cs
I could never find if one could/should take chromium during preg?

I think FE's are Flower Essences.

Blessed Mom, what are your child's restrictions?
Quote:
Yeah! Although sugar isn't even tasting great to me now. Stupid food aversions. The only thing I want to eat every day is bone broth with rice noodles. Which DD may be reacting to..... sigh.

So smart mamas- this stomach pain thing is continuing. Every day, mid afternoon, my stomach gets so bloated with gas it hurts. Pretty bad. If I chug a bunch of mineral water and get lots of burps, it helps a little, but it always comes back. There is so much pressure that I have to take my bra off, because it just adds pain. It's all upper abdomen/stomach/under the ribs, no lower abdomen pressure or bloating that I can tell. Lasts around 4-5+ hours, then fades a bit and is totally gone by the morning. So.... wth? Just a common pregnancy complaint? Or is there something specific going on with my digestion that I might be able to fix? I tried eating totally different foods today, just in case it was something in my diet that was suddenly causing problems, but it didn't make any difference.
It could just be your innards shifting around to make room for baby...hope it resolves soon!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 07-18-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Yup. Adrenals took a major hit, but then somehow began to get better than they were before...

I could never find if one could/should take chromium during preg?
baby's adrenals compensating for mama's weak ones?

I did brewers yeast a bunch first trimester, till it totally grossed me out and j haven't been able to touch it since... Is the big concern chromium picolinate potentially messing with baby DNA? I forget.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:05 AM

Another faire today. Dd got haribo gummy bears. Corn syrup and artificial-ness. She was ready for bed at 6:30, and out before 7. I'm sunburned. She's not. It'll be very interesting to see how the night goes! Oh, and to complicate matters, I'm starting (for real) the pine nut oil.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I know I've become like a reformed smoker lately!!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Yup.

I think FE's are Flower Essences.

Blessed Mom, what are your child's restrictions?

I know them to be dairy to be a 100% fact. Almond maybe (once I tried almond butter on her cheek and she kind of scratched but I saw no hives so am not 100% positive ). Eggs maybe. Once I trialed eggs but I wasn't at baseline (am not on any elimination diet) and her eczema seemed worse...but again not 100% sure. Am avoiding it.

I once went to a NAET type of a practioner who muscle tested her through DH and said Dairy(which I already told her), soy, peanuts, corn and egg. But I stopped going after she said she was safe for almonds (and I think I saw a reaction. Plus I wasn't seeing any real benefits). She said my DD doesn't react to gluten...which I am hoping to be true :fingerscrossed

Flower essences seem interesting. Where did you consult for your stuff KJBrown?

AND congrats on the pg, Changing seasons.

ETA: I have a vested interest in hoping CS's NAET experience is positive and miraculuous. I live eastside of Seattle and can go to her doc if her exp is positive.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
baby's adrenals compensating for mama's weak ones?

I did brewers yeast a bunch first trimester, till it totally grossed me out and j haven't been able to touch it since... Is the big concern chromium picolinate potentially messing with baby DNA? I forget.
I don't know...I was much worse with dd2 (adrenal wise) and she has perfect adrenals. Happy all the time, full of energy, ect ,ect--the opposite of all my adrenal issues. I think supplementation during pregnancy is key. I recently read that some are suggesting adrenal supplementation during pregnancy for mom's with adrenal issues to cushion/protect baby's adrenals. It was certainly my experience with dd2. Now dd1, I did not supp (did not know I had AF) and SHE acts like me in so many adrenal ways...so there's my experience.

Blessed mom, what are her reactions or what makes you think there are other things going on besides dairy (not saying there aren't, just wondering).

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 07-18-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:

Blessed mom, what are her reactions or what makes you think there are other things going on besides dairy (not saying there aren't, just wondering).
She has two (small) patches of eczema on her ankle and behind the knee that are refusing to go away (except on desonide which we don't use often). Sometimes she gets a small spot on her hand which fades away and returns sometimes.

Really that's it. She sleeps fine, pees fine , poos fine. Is a bit clingy. Very picky eater. Refuses most all solids. Doesn't feed on me a ton either. And I have milk supply issues. Tried everythng under the sun and settled for some Dom currently. Am on Armour for thyroid...so that's not it. I supplemented her for the first 2 months of her life (50% formula) on doc's orders because she was a preemie (5 weeks early). Never established a good milk supply. I make 80% of her needs. (If she drank 100% then by the book she should be gaining weight...not stalled for the last 3 months).
Old 07-18-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
It could just be your innards shifting around to make room for baby...hope it resolves soon!
Yeah, that's definitely it. I finally had a lightbulb moment this afternoon and realized it's my back. Every so often, my back gets out of whack and it will do this craziness to my stomach. So I'm guessing with all the bloating and swelling going on down there, I've got a nerve pinched or something. Especially since it seems to get worse the more physical activity I do. Too bad I don't have any chiro coverage on my insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post
ETA: I have a vested interest in hoping CS's NAET experience is positive and miraculuous. I live eastside of Seattle and can go to her doc if her exp is positive.
Oh, me too!!! If we ever actually get this treatment going....

Old 07-18-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
(If she drank 100% then by the book she should be gaining weight...not stalled for the last 3 months).
Not necessarily. If she's eating something that is irritating her gut, she might be having malabsorption issues. In that case, you can eat and eat and eat and not be able to gain weight because the damage in your gut inhibits proper absorption of nutrients. It might be worth a try to go off gluten for a few months (if you haven't tried that already.)

Old 07-18-2010, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily. If she's eating something that is irritating her gut, she might be having malabsorption issues. In that case, you can eat and eat and eat and not be able to gain weight because the damage in your gut inhibits proper absorption of nutrients. It might be worth a try to go off gluten for a few months (if you haven't tried that already.)
I probably will come off as a most horrid mom writing this but I somehow don't think gluten is the problem (wishful thinking anyone??) and cannot eliminate gluten from my diet. If I substitute it with rice (rice and wheat are two of my major grains, we are east Indian) then I am ballooning in weight (I tried for 2 weeks. I am insulin resistant and eating a lot of rice is just adding on the simple carbs).I will have nothing to eat and I need some carbs to make milk.
ALSO....Is there no other way other than an elimination diet if it is gluten? Is why I am looking to NAET.

ETA: Also when I tried it for 2 weeks I didn't see any improvement in DD's eczema. Plus the NAET practioner said it wasn't gluten. I give gluten bread (roti...like naan without the dairy) to her regularly and she doesn't have any worse symptoms.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's definitely it. I finally had a lightbulb moment this afternoon and realized it's my back. Every so often, my back gets out of whack and it will do this craziness to my stomach. So I'm guessing with all the bloating and swelling going on down there, I've got a nerve pinched or something. Especially since it seems to get worse the more physical activity I do. Too bad I don't have any chiro coverage on my insurance.

Oh, me too!!! If we ever actually get this treatment going....
Remember that when pregnant everything is looser so it will be easier for something to get out of whack. Go easy.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 07-18-2010, 02:09 PM

my adrenals are starting to tank.
Hi priority today is to find the supps Dannic recommended, and order them. It was your mw who suggested it right???
I need to sleep and need to feel an emotion other than cranky
my mother and sil irk me.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:39 PM

I've been taking pulsatilla which seems to help some but I think I'm on the tail end of this now. Unfortunately, M is at the start. Poor baby.
On the upside, my abs are getting a real workout.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
What are FEs KJBrown? And how old was your DD2 last year. I am looking for ways to up my DD (13 mos) appetite because she is (like most of your LOs') a picky eater and an allergic babe. She just eat much of anything and my milk is definitely not sufficient for her. She was in the 3% last month and not having gained anything this month has to be in the 0%.

How does one get one's toddler to eat good foods and more of them?
Keep offering it to them. And you eat them too, so they have a good role model. For my kids, at least the two kids who had food intolerances, I offered a lot of fats and as much variety as possible to make up for what they were lacking. I also did our diet for 2 weeks into fitday.com so I could see if there were any nutritional deficiencies.

As someone else said, FEs are flower essences. I think DD2 was 4yo when we did the FEs. Maybe it was the summer before that. But panserbjorne (a member here) custom blended them for us. They didn't seem to do anything for DS but they were great for DD2's appetite. It kind of kick started it. And then she ate better in general even after we stopped the FEs. And it was fantastic for DD1 (12yo at the time) because she was PMSing with me.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 07-19-2010, 02:30 AM

Wow- quiet day. Hugs to everyone who needs them.

Had a long day hanging with some family that is visiting from out of state. Then got home after a 2 hour drive and slammed DD's fingers in the car door. (I shut the back door, not knowing that she was holding onto the front door, which was already closed, so they got pinched in between the 2 doors if that makes any sense.) So we've been slathering her with arnica gel, and holding an ice pack on for a while. Poor kiddo, her 2 fingers are all swollen and bruised.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Wow- quiet day. Hugs to everyone who needs them.

Had a long day hanging with some family that is visiting from out of state. Then got home after a 2 hour drive and slammed DD's fingers in the car door. (I shut the back door, not knowing that she was holding onto the front door, which was already closed, so they got pinched in between the 2 doors if that makes any sense.) So we've been slathering her with arnica gel, and holding an ice pack on for a while. Poor kiddo, her 2 fingers are all swollen and bruised.
aw R did that not long ago and so did I when little.
Hoping her fingers are better quickly.

User Tag List