Mothering Forum banner

Juicy July Chat in the Allergy Forum

23K views 579 replies 22 participants last post by  dannic 
#1 ·
Join us for updates on our trials, tribulations and joys as we Celebrate Juicy July with watermelon and tomatoes and wild berries.

So bring your questions, problems, celebrations and general amazing-ness here.

Pat

See less See more
#427 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
She just called. No cancer. Woo hoo!! I'm doing the happy dance (to celebrate, I put away two baskets full of clean laundry and made the two "guest" bunkbeds. Time to put away the daily novels and start doing stuff again.

Jacq - I know what you mean about the mucous. I ended up having G sleep with me last night because every time she started to cough, it sounded like she was choking. I had her propped up on two pillows but I still didn't get much sleep last night (not helped by the fact that I stayed up until 2am reading).
So glad to hear good news!

Yeah, M's puked a couple of times from it.
It's actually pretty scary for such a little guy.

#428 ·
Such wonderful news Kathy

Met a 3 year old today, with bright red cheeks. He held hands with my youngest. We walked around a bit. Turns out he has had a "mysterious" illness of just a fever for over 5 days and he seems to be getting a cough. shoot. man. We will be visiting family, sil newly pregnant, 9 month old baby - in 2.5 weeks. How long was the incubation period JR? Hope this isn't the same long illness that seems to be spreading through internet.

Had a bit of a blowup with my mom today. I am upset with her, and she is upset with me and no resolution. I don't think I was patient or kind enough. We keep on having life long issues popping up recently. I need to decide do I just accept her lack of abilities/trying and her constant attempts to hand them off to family or insist on her stepping up - maybe with some guidance. I've been a mom to her when I was growing up and backed off when I moved out of state. I'm worried it will start happening again. Everyone sees her as a victim and incapable and she plays into their hands very well.

#429 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post

Met a 3 year old today, with bright red cheeks. He held hands with my youngest. We walked around a bit. Turns out he has had a "mysterious" illness of just a fever for over 5 days and he seems to be getting a cough. shoot. man. We will be visiting family, sil newly pregnant, 9 month old baby - in 2.5 weeks. How long was the incubation period JR? Hope this isn't the same long illness that seems to be spreading through internet.

Had a bit of a blowup with my mom today. I am upset with her, and she is upset with me and no resolution. I don't think I was patient or kind enough. We keep on having life long issues popping up recently. I need to decide do I just accept her lack of abilities/trying and her constant attempts to hand them off to family or insist on her stepping up - maybe with some guidance. I've been a mom to her when I was growing up and backed off when I moved out of state. I'm worried it will start happening again. Everyone sees her as a victim and incapable and she plays into their hands very well.
It appears to be 14 days.

Sounds very similar to my situation with my mom. I'm sorry.

#430 ·
Quote:

DD2 got it on a Saturday and DD1 got it the following Wednesday. But since I don't know where they got it from, I don't know how long the incubation period is. If it was from the neighbors, who came from Germany, and we saw the "tail end" of their illness (fever and cough, but apparently they'd been sick the 2 weeks prior to coming) it was 2 weeks after they got here that DD2 got sick. I'm thinking it's either regular or swine flu, from the symptoms.

#431 ·
Quote:

DD2 got it on a Saturday and DD1 got it the following Wednesday. But since I don't know where they got it from, I don't know how long the incubation period is. If it was from the neighbors, who came from Germany, and we saw the "tail end" of their illness (fever and cough, but apparently they'd been sick the 2 weeks prior to coming) it was 2 weeks after they got here that DD2 got sick. I'm thinking it's either regular or swine flu, from the symptoms.
Huh I didn't think of swine flu that totally makes sense. Well we've all had that, except DH, so hopefully we will be ok.

#432 ·
Quote:

It's funny that everyone is talking about a cough. Adam's fever didn't last that long but then he developed this really crappy sounding cough. And last night it sounded almost choking. So weird that we all got it through the internet.

Are we twins? My mom is the exact same way. Kudos to you for moving away and giving yourself some space. I was never able to. My mom has everyone snowed too.

#433 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Are we twins? My mom is the exact same way. Kudos to you for moving away and giving yourself some space. I was never able to. My mom has everyone snowed too.
Yeah well I invited her to live with me. Maybe not so smart.

I understand her fear and reluctance, but sometimes you just have to put on your big girl panties. . . .

#434 ·
I'm reading over here, and cheering and sympathizing, but not having the time/computer/focus to respond immediately. And then I come to post and don't reread, so forget all the personals and then feel like a jerk, and so just don't post at all

what can I remember...? Yay Kathy! I don't want to think about the ethics of foreclosures, it makes my head hurt. Wow, 10 days is a long time for a fever! And wow a bunch of you are sick, especially for the middle of July!

Anyone have any thoughts on boron or borax or boric acid? Boron is popping up at me from a couple different sources lately, and it has to xo with cal/mag/bones. Haven't started researching it yet though.

This round of die off is different. Dd and ds spent the day alternating between sweet and cheerful, and stressed out to no end, screaming at me. Just before dh got home, we all got in an Epsom salt bath with a fizzy bath bomb, and finally everyone was happy at the same time. So dh has no idea the ringer I've been through... And now I'm super dehydrated (as always) with a sleeping baby (finally!) nursing in my lap and nobody else home. But all is calm.

#435 ·
I thought that a May baby would be easier than winter babies, but it really wasn't (with dd2). There was a nasty illness going round, and instead of cold I had to worry abuot heat.
Summer illnesses can be yucky.

YAY KATHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO glad!

Yeah, DH is with you JR on foreclosures. One business investment co rec'd buying up foreclosures for cheap rentals, ect and DH feels it's unethical to benefit in that way from someone else's misery. However, as trying to get a home for your family, we both feel differently. It's one thing to make money on someone's down fall and another to provide your family with a home, IMO.

I've had a rough week. I've mentioned before that my house is really hot. DH is trying desperately to figure out a way to cool it for me. It's been 87 degrees inside. I've been having headaches and nausea in the afternoons and I think it's mild heatstroke. So I've been leaving my place at 10 am every morning, which makes it hard to prepare for baby. We tried a stand alone ac unit and because of the way the venting is in our home it created a vacuum effect drawing in the hot air from the attic into the house. DH took those back and ordered a window unit and a wall unit, so hopefully something will work.

#436 ·
Danni, so sorry to hear about the ongoing heat problems. So hard to be overheated while pregnant!

So many pregnant women. It's still exciting.

Around here... I am more coherent today, which is funny because I couldn't fall asleep last night (too much caffeine that I used to stay functional yesterday) so I got about 4 hours of sleep. But hey, I'll take functional today.

It's hot and humid here and I am trying to use it to focus on getting the inside of the house in a bit better order. It feels exciting to reorganize, we've been making progress on getting things more organized and peaceful for a few years now. ... Yeah, well, we had fallen pretty far, the clutter was massive. But I think that, say, by the end of September when the temps outside may be reasonable, the inside of the house could be organized and, well, peaceful.

Anyone read Simple Abundance? A friend loaned me a copy, it's a great fit for where I am now and where I want to be. About creating a simple, peaceful, harmonious, joyous home life. We surely haven't had that for quite a while, and this is the extra help I need to inspire me to make the changes we need.

Not sure how it's allergy related, except that the extra overhead of thinking about health stuff and food stuff makes everything go slower.

#437 ·
Today's funny: Lately I've really been seeing that DD, 6yo, needs less sleep than DS, 4yo. But they share a bedroom, we don't have an extra to move them to--well, without losing the play room which has double doors anyway which are somewhat odd for a bedroom.

So, DD is going to the top bunk with a reading light, and since I was a bit concerned about bright lights right before bed, I decided to try a red light bulb. So she's got a new clip on light with a red bulb, makes her look a bit like she's on a submarine in a Tom Clancy movie, we'll see how bedtime goes with her looking at a book and hopefully DS falling asleep below.

Oh, and Target's got a lot of school supplies at reasonable prices. It's only July, I forgot that back-to-school sales start so early (and locally they put out school supply lists already as well).

#438 ·
Hey Tanya, welcome back. I just saw my library has Simple Abundance available so I'll let you know.
I'm finishing Sarah Donati's Queen of Swords and about to start the newest Diana Galbaldon (so excited for this) so I need a break from fluff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I told her that they only did the TSH and she said that "that test is so sensitive that's all you need. If your TSH is in range, then you are fine".

Ok. Well then, I guess there's not much else to say.
Yeah no kidding. Sigh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
About what you ask? Last night on the phone my mother flat out accussed me of causing my 19 month olds chronic reflux (from birth), rashes, digestive issues and stool issues because I gave her all that "weird food".
Yep, that is what I've been accused of as well, it's very sad. I've finally concluded that discussions about food and diet should be up there with politics and religion...

Quote:

She just called. No cancer. Woo hoo!!
Finally!!! that took a long time to resolve, so glad it's good news

Quote:

I've been a mom to her when I was growing up and backed off when I moved out of state. I'm worried it will start happening again. Everyone sees her as a victim and incapable and she plays into their hands very well.
Depends on how strong you are feeling now, whether you want to start that project again or give up and distance yourself. It's really hard not to have the unconditional support of a good mother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on boron or borax or boric acid?
I've talked about this with a WAPF friend. She will not allow boric acid in her house. I was using it in laundry b/c it was the ONLY thing which would remove cod liver oil stains and smell. Apparently the powder can be breathed in and is very toxic. I'm not sure what her references were but I kept meaning to find out more. It also makes a great toilet bowl cleaner. That's all I know.

#439 ·
Hey Dannic - got my adrenal supps today and energy tested it. Rarely have I ever seen my pendulum so hyper. guess I needed it. Good timing since my mom is moving in in two weeks. Thanks so much for the info.

Sorry you are suffering so much from the heat. At what point are you due in August? early, mid, end? I'm mid-Oct.

Thanks for the sympathy about my mom. I wish I was gentler to her yesterday, but I don't regret what I said. I do regret the level of frustration and overwhelm I felt and expressed (part of it was my own embarrassment and frustration pointed towards me since I failed to help her earlier, even though I had worked for hours on this issue earlier). DH and I decided on some good (additional) boundaries, with regards to her recent requests. I feel a little more empowered.
Now I need to figure out how help her stop peeing 10 times a night. She is sleeping in a separate part of our small apartment, and she goes to bed really early, but the bathroom is right next to our bedroom. Last weekend, she was walking to the bathroom late at night, DH came out in a towel after a shower. Slight embarrassment. She wanted to go in and DH told her that I was in there also. She was very embarrassed. Didn't think about the all night trips to the bathroom taking away some of our privacy.

DS1 is coming home tomorrow night. Took my 4 year old to the Children's Museum all day today, kind of as a last hurrah. What a delight to only have one child at a museum. So different than having two kids at two different developmental levels.

#440 ·
Just found out my neighbor's houseguests (leaving tomorrow) have a gluten-free member (son, 6yo) so I'm making some molasses cookies so he can have a treat. And DH has been wanting potato salad (and so have I) so I'm going to attempt mayo today and make that. And since I'm making hard boiled eggs, now I want egg salad, so I guess I'd better make some sandwich bread too. It's kind of cloudy and cool so it's a good baking day!

DD2 is still coughing (but I found some homeopathic cough syrup yesterday and it seems to be helping). And DD1 still has her fever (day #10) and coughing. No one else has caught it yet.

#442 ·
Quote:

Hey Dannic - got my adrenal supps today and energy tested it. Rarely have I ever seen my pendulum so hyper. guess I needed it. Good timing since my mom is moving in in two weeks. Thanks so much for the info.

Sorry you are suffering so much from the heat. At what point are you due in August? early, mid, end? I'm mid-Oct.
Glad to help. It's made a huge (hoog, as dd2 would say) difference for me.

End of August. I'll be 35 weeks on sat. My sis is due beginning of oct. I think that's a good month.

DH put in a window ac unit and also ordered a wall unit so I'll have two and that should make it super nice in here. YAY
He's so sweet. He's been so worried about me. Not sure how we're paying for it, tho, lol...Today, it's stormy so the one unit is having an easy time of it, keeping it at 79 in here. So nice to be able to stay home.

I made Indian food yesterday for the first time ever. gobi aloo and chicken mikki something. My kids liked different parts of it, but dh was not impressed, lol. I loved it. He doesn't like mixing of flavors (think sweet and sour, ect) and could taste the "conflict" between the turmeric, paprika, cayenne and cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
..."and ne'er the twain shall meet".

#443 ·
These mayo experiments are kicking my butt. I can't get the consistency right. But the flavor was good and it was thick enough for the potato salad and the egg salad sandwich (I had two, they were so good).

#447 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Is there a MTHFR thread? I'm hetero for the C677T and have googled and still confused.
Strangely, I don't think there is one. Want to start one? I have some stuff at detoxpuzzle. Short answer is extra food folate and watch methylation.

#450 ·
Hey guys, I am just running through...but I saw the top of this page and saw that a lot of people were sick, and I wanted to very quickly chime in that both my kids were sick a bit ago also, and I did the high dose Vitamin A and I think it really helped! I don't remember what kind of A you are supposed to use, but I do know that what we used was palmitate. I think there is another kind that is supposed to be okay too, but I can't remember. Anyway, for my 10 year old, 75 pounds, I did 50,000 IU per day for three days. I also did extra Vit D, C, zinc, cell salts (especially Ferrum phos), and cherry bark blend by Herbs for Kids.

Just wanted to throw out there what I felt really helped us get through whatever we had.

I hope you are all better by now and this is moot. I will be back next week to read and catch up!

ETA: Also, the warming wet socks treatment!!! This really works! Especially for cough and fever!! You have to try it. Best to do it a few nights in a row.

#451 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Anyone read Simple Abundance? A friend loaned me a copy, it's a great fit for where I am now and where I want to be. About creating a simple, peaceful, harmonious, joyous home life. We surely haven't had that for quite a while, and this is the extra help I need to inspire me to make the changes we need.

Not sure how it's allergy related, except that the extra overhead of thinking about health stuff and food stuff makes everything go slower.
I don't think I've read it, but do focus on keeping things simple around here. We've been trying to organize and clear stuff out, but I swear, time moves differently in this house. Today I dropped off books and clothes at goodwill
baby steps, but still progress. I'm trying to get myself a good yard, where we can keep chickens, and maybe goats. That means moving. Which means selling this place. Which means making it presentable. Which means getting rid of more stuff.

It's really interesting to watch myself change. I've changed a lot in the past 4 years. There's the becoming a mother stuff that everyone does, and the dealing with food sensitivities, and the mommy warrior stuff. Then there's the letting go, the shifting of priorities, realizing how the world works. I feel like I'm seeing it from the outside after being caught up in the middle my whole life. And everyone else is still caught up in the middle. And doesn't care about the outside. So I'm still an outsider, but a more zen outsider
it's the shifting of priorities that's getting me now. The balance before was precarious. Fun, exciting, high, wild. Balanced, but not stable. Now I'm being drawn towards stability and grounding myself. It's a weird feeling.

We signed dd up for preschool, and I think I'm cool with it. I want to be excited about it. It really is an awesome preschool - Unconditional Parenting and Siblings Without Rivalry are on the reading list, and there are even several homeschool families who attend and love it. The way I learn is by exploring a path and immersing myself in it, then deciding if I like it or not. There's so much talk about homeschooling and unschooling around here (mdc) that that's the path I've been going down. But I think I've hit the end where I can make peace that it might not be the best choice for us. I still haven't decided against it, but the other options (local public school) are looking more reasonable than they were. I thrive with structure, really thrive. I loved school. And I'll leave it at that. This school has a really strong community to go with it, so hopefully that will do me well. I really want to start living IRL more. I feel like I've built a fortress around myself with the allergy stuff, and now I'm trying to figure out how to get out. It's tough. I'm good at building fortresses.

Sorry for the somewhat OT ramble. I'm still trying to process this all for myself. I think a lot is triggered by dd suddenly acting like a normal kid, and the hopeful promise of getting a bunch of foods back with the pancreatic support. If she's acting normal AND eating normal, and me too... Then we're not special anymore? Then we fit in? Then its time for me to get to know the new me? Yeah, a lot of processing for me to do, still.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.