Forum Jump: 

#541 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Skimming...

Very common with autistic kids (they are way better when they have a fever). Fever tends to knock off viruses and bacteria. So it could be a chronic bacterial or viral infection residing in his sinuses (strep would be the most likely culprit) - fever sends strep and lots of other viruses and bacteria into dormant modes (that's how they survive the fever). So I think it's a really good clue for you, actually.

Hmm. that's interesting b/c when the chiro was muscle testing he said "oh, he seems to be fighting a virus". But we didn't finish the muscle testing b/c DS wasn't cooperating so it will be next week before we finish. Wouldn't it be awesome if he could clear it up with the homepathic remedy? BTW, how do the kids on Yasko figure out what the infection is and where its residing to figure out how to treat?

Sorry, I haven't been around a lot lately, did I miss your results???? If you give me your genetics, I'll tell you what order I'd tackle things (and what B12 you likely need). And yeah, it is a freakload of supps, I have it to something reasonable for DS, but plenty of kids on her forum take the whole boatload. I'm not around a lot right now, work picked up a bunch, but I'll try to stop back in over the weekend to help you out...
I just got the results yesterday and only briefly skimmed them. Enough to be daunted by the list of supplements. I"ll post the results in my thread later.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 02:10 PM

Two biggest reservoirs for virus are nasal passages/sinuses and the gut, and hiding out in your DNA. One of the things good methylation does is shut down viruses (by sticking a methyl group on the foreign DNA to inactivate it). So often the detox you see when getting methylation moving is because your body is finally fighting your viral load. We saw it with my son, and he didn't have any obvious viral issues or vaccines (one of the sources of viral load). And then cleaning up the gut can also help (that's where all the digestive supports come in).

I'd follow that viral track with your various practitioners - I *think* you can get a blood titre or nasal swab for strep?? Yasko has a whole protocol to attack chronic strep, fwiw - really common in ASD kids.

If you put your results in your thread, I can help you process them, it's a lot to figure out. Ignore the supps list for the moment . You'd want to tackle that slowly anyhow, while you still have a nursling. More important right now is what clues it could give you to what your primary challenges are from a genetics perspective.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#543 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM

Things are moving at 90mph over here too, I rather have wiplash trying to keep track of it all.

So I've decided to go forward with thyroid supplements... and gasp! synthetic ones at that for the moment. My functional MD is recommending T3 only to shut down my high Reverse T3 and blocked receptors and shut down T4. Then we will re-evaluate in a few months.

As I've mentioned I have been reading every thyroid book and website I could get my hands on the past several months and doing a lot of thinking re: past history. Really I have evidence of low thyroid since before puberty that has just gradually gotten worse and family hx on both sides.

I found another self test to do: for mucin (skin on upper arms is thick when you pinch it instead of thin and loose regardless of how fat or thin you are) that just had me floored at the results.

Apparently the cause of mucin (water logged thick jelly like tissue) accumulation can only be hypothyroidism. Good explanation why I can literally gain or loose 4 lbs overnight. And maybe that is why I have no wrinkles at age 44, the face is another area of typical accumulation. And here I was thinking it was my fabulous fatty acid supplementation and being chubby.

Also had IgG results done and of course dairy came back positive so I gave up my beloved kefir kicking and screaming and my gut became very unhappy with me... just now getting that under control. Can't understand why milk kefir helped so much if I was reacting but IgG's are so elusive I guess.

Waiting for adrenal saliva tests to come back.

So Shannon, I can relate to what you are feeling ... not grounded, everything changing at the moment. Hope all changes will be good ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Sorry to be so windy. Does that help at all?
Yes we like lots of info... that is very helpful. I knew you were facing the adenoid issue and I'm very glad for the update. Yes I will definately tell him you sent us!
#544 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Things are moving at 90mph over here too, I rather have wiplash trying to keep track of it all.

So I've decided to go forward with thyroid supplements... and gasp! synthetic ones at that for the moment. My functional MD is recommending T3 only to shut down my high Reverse T3 and blocked receptors and shut down T4. Then we will re-evaluate in a few months.

I have to ask, who is your functional medicine MD?

As I've mentioned I have been reading every thyroid book and website I could get my hands on the past several months and doing a lot of thinking re: past history. Really I have evidence of low thyroid since before puberty that has just gradually gotten worse and family hx on both sides.

I found another self test to do: for mucin (skin on upper arms is thick when you pinch it instead of thin and loose regardless of how fat or thin you are) that just had me floored at the results.

Apparently the cause of mucin (water logged thick jelly like tissue) accumulation can only be hypothyroidism. Good explanation why I can literally gain or loose 4 lbs overnight. And maybe that is why I have no wrinkles at age 44, the face is another area of typical accumulation. And here I was thinking it was my fabulous fatty acid supplementation and being chubby.

Also had IgG results done and of course dairy came back positive so I gave up my beloved kefir kicking and screaming and my gut became very unhappy with me... just now getting that under control. Can't understand why milk kefir helped so much if I was reacting but IgG's are so elusive I guess.

Waiting for adrenal saliva tests to come back.

So Shannon, I can relate to what you are feeling ... not grounded, everything changing at the moment. Hope all changes will be good ones!

Yes we like lots of info... that is very helpful. I knew you were facing the adenoid issue and I'm very glad for the update. Yes I will definately tell him you sent us!
Well at least you have something to run with. I hope it works out.

So are you seeing Dr. Rosen specifically for the palate issues?

Also, I want to take DS to the dentist in Groton. Which one would you recommend for a 3 year old? I believe he's going to have palate issues as well so we might as well get started.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#545 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Very common with autistic kids (they are way better when they have a fever). Fever tends to knock off viruses and bacteria.
has there been any concerted effort to test basal body temps with ASD kids?
#546 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Two biggest reservoirs for virus are nasal passages/sinuses and the gut, and hiding out in your DNA. One of the things good methylation does is shut down viruses (by sticking a methyl group on the foreign DNA to inactivate it). So often the detox you see when getting methylation moving is because your body is finally fighting your viral load. We saw it with my son, and he didn't have any obvious viral issues or vaccines (one of the sources of viral load). And then cleaning up the gut can also help (that's where all the digestive supports come in).

I'd follow that viral track with your various practitioners - I *think* you can get a blood titre or nasal swab for strep?? Yasko has a whole protocol to attack chronic strep, fwiw - really common in ASD kids.
I'll followup on this. As an aside, does Yasko's protocol involve getting methylation moving? If that inactivates the virus that seems like a key thing to stopping it in the long run.

Also, does the fact that he has chronic congestion point more towards an infection in the sinus' as opposed to in the gut? He's never been vaccinated so he didn't get it that way.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#547 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Tell me more about mucin?

And did the IgG test fermented milk or just fresh dairy?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#548 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Well at least you have something to run with. I hope it works out.

So are you seeing Dr. Rosen specifically for the palate issues?

Also, I want to take DS to the dentist in Groton. Which one would you recommend for a 3 year old? I believe he's going to have palate issues as well so we might as well get started.
Thanks Yes palate and adenoids and intermittent mouth breathing. He also has a deviated septum and something else I cannot remember the medical gobbledygook name for.

We see Dr. Jean Nordin-Evans at Groton and I love her, I would ask for her and tell her I sent you. They do digital xrays only. Her husband Bob does only surgery I think, but love him too. They are active Weston Price members so feel free to tell her everything about your alternative treatments, she will support.

Dr. Carney is the orthodontist there. He is very knowledgeable but not completely sure about him since he rec palate expander. I would have expected that Groton would be practicing with the newer models of orthodontic treatment such as the Lightwire or the Damon system. I have a consult with Dr. Alkhoury in Holliston coming up to eval DS's xrays for a second opinon, he does Damon. It's certainly possible that DS's upper palate and nasal passages being the way it is he is not a good candidate for Damon not sure.

The lower palate seems to be fine so it is though that the mouth breathing contributed significantly to improper development of a cross bite. Probably thanks to the mold in the house due to leaks that "don't need to be fixed".
#549 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks Yes palate and adenoids and intermittent mouth breathing. He also has a deviated septum and something else I cannot remember the medical gobbledygook name for.

We see Dr. Jean Nordin-Evans at Groton and I love her, I would ask for her and tell her I sent you. They do digital xrays only. Her husband Bob does only surgery I think, but love him too. They are active Weston Price members so feel free to tell her everything about your alternative treatments, she will support.

Dr. Carney is the orthodontist there. He is very knowledgeable but not completely sure about him since he rec palate expander. I would have expected that Groton would be practicing with the newer models of orthodontic treatment such as the Lightwire or the Damon system. I have a consult with Dr. Alkhoury in Holliston coming up to eval DS's xrays for a second opinon, he does Damon. It's certainly possible that DS's upper palate and nasal passages being the way it is he is not a good candidate for Damon not sure.

The lower palate seems to be fine so it is though that the mouth breathing contributed significantly to improper development of a cross bite. Probably thanks to the mold in the house due to leaks that "don't need to be fixed".
Thanks for the info. I saw Dr. Carney for myself because i needed a new mouthguard. I really liked him for that but he didn't seem as "hip" as I would have expected for a Groton Dentist. I'm not really excited to take the kids to him so I'll try Jean.

I met her a few years ago at a course on how to make breads using traditional yeast.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#550 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Tell me more about mucin?

And did the IgG test fermented milk or just fresh dairy?
I read about mucin in Mark Starr's book "Hypothryroidism Type 2"
http://www.21centurymed.com/?page_id=12

(and he also describes a bladder condition that sounds JUST like interstitial cystitis that is connected to hypoT and his discussion of thyroid's influence on the mytochondria is extremely interesting)

Quote:
Myxedema, which is the retention of mucin, can also occur when the tissues do not properly process and utilize thyroid hormone. (Myx is the Greek word for “mucin,” and edema means “swelling.”) Mucin is a compound comprised of sugars bound to a protein and in modest amounts is a constituent of connective tissue. (Connective tissue lines blood vessels, comprises nerve sheaths, is part of the fascial envelope surrounding muscles, and is in organs and glands, in the gastrointestinal and urinary tracts, and in the mucous membrane lining of the respiratory tract, including the sinuses.) By nature, jelly-like mucin absorbs water. When present in normal amounts, mucin is not a problem. But in excess, the hydrophilic (water-loving) mucin can cause serious problems wherever it accumulates in the connective tissue. Over half of the hypothyroid population (55%-60%) has abnormally high amounts of mucin, which accumulate more with age. In fact, the medical term for “hypothyroidism” used to be myxedema.
Build up of mucin can enlarge a heart or cause joint or muscle pain consistent with other "we don't know what's causing it" dx like arthritis or fibromyalgia. Puffy hands/feets/ankles and face, esp. eyes. The pictures in Starr's book are interesting.

Another good description and discussion of the mucin arm pinch test is at the website below, you should get skin to skin contact when you pinch, like you would if you pinched the skin on the back of your hand, not a thick wad of tissue:
http://www.prayforabby.com/healing/t...thyroidism.htm

Also I've been meaning to ask you genetically minded mama's if you have come across genetic testing for thyroid resistance? Thyroid resistance is termed as having "normal" thyroid blood tests but your cellular uptake and/or signaling is not working. Apparently there are genes to direct this. Given my family history, I think this is likely. (Damned Irish Famine.) Also Starr does talk a lot about various chemical and metal toxicities causing it as well, really good book.

The IgG test was on different kinds of dairy and the fermented ones were lower or none, such as:

cheddar cheese 0
cottage cheese 3
milk 2
yogurt 1

So I don't know what to do. My dr. and RD want me to elim. all dairy for now. I imagine that makes sense. I have done this before and haven't seen results in and of themselves... but my CRP is elevated, so something is going on we can't figure out.

My insulin, fasting blood sugar, HGA1C and cholesterol are all extremely good. DHEA is okay could be higher, hence adrenal testing ordered. My HDL is slightly low, 39, when it should be over 40. But she said it could be b/c my total cholesterol is only 165. Which is funny given the *ridiculous* amount of cholesterol I have eaten daily for past 5 years.
#551 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I saw Dr. Carney for myself because i needed a new mouthguard. I really liked him for that but he didn't seem as "hip" as I would have expected for a Groton Dentist. I'm not really excited to take the kids to him so I'll try Jean.

I met her a few years ago at a course on how to make breads using traditional yeast.
He only does ortho I think anyways.

What is traditional yeast?
#552 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Kathy,
that's a lot of stress all at once, take your time with your decisions and try not to feel rushed. If I were in your position, I would be doing low dose naltrexone (LDN) therapy.
http://fourfoldhealing.com/articles-by-topic/
That's interesting. LDN is what my SIL is now on. I can't remember if she's on it for her hashi, her lupus, or her lyme, but I thought it was the lyme. So maybe that would help both. Scarily I'm thinking of prophylactic mastectomies, and though it's certainly not natural or healthy, it seems better than a lot of the other options.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#553 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I read about mucin in Mark Starr's book "Hypothryroidism Type 2"
http://www.21centurymed.com/?page_id=12

(and he also describes a bladder condition that sounds JUST like interstitial cystitis that is connected to hypoT and his discussion of thyroid's influence on the mytochondria is extremely interesting)

Build up of mucin can enlarge a heart or cause joint or muscle pain consistent with other "we don't know what's causing it" dx like arthritis or fibromyalgia. Puffy hands/feets/ankles and face, esp. eyes. The pictures in Starr's book are interesting.

Another good description and discussion of the mucin arm pinch test is at the website below, you should get skin to skin contact when you pinch, like you would if you pinched the skin on the back of your hand, not a thick wad of tissue:
http://www.prayforabby.com/healing/t...thyroidism.htm

Also I've been meaning to ask you genetically minded mama's if you have come across genetic testing for thyroid resistance? Thyroid resistance is termed as having "normal" thyroid blood tests but your cellular uptake and/or signaling is not working. Apparently there are genes to direct this. Given my family history, I think this is likely. (Damned Irish Famine.) Also Starr does talk a lot about various chemical and metal toxicities causing it as well, really good book.

The IgG test was on different kinds of dairy and the fermented ones were lower or none, such as:

cheddar cheese 0
cottage cheese 3
milk 2
yogurt 1

So I don't know what to do. My dr. and RD want me to elim. all dairy for now. I imagine that makes sense. I have done this before and haven't seen results in and of themselves... but my CRP is elevated, so something is going on we can't figure out.

My insulin, fasting blood sugar, HGA1C and cholesterol are all extremely good. DHEA is okay could be higher, hence adrenal testing ordered. My HDL is slightly low, 39, when it should be over 40. But she said it could be b/c my total cholesterol is only 165. Which is funny given the *ridiculous* amount of cholesterol I have eaten daily for past 5 years.
This is interesting. i have always wondering if I was hypoT but my thyroid tests are always *very* normal. Not even close to not being normal. I don't have a "puffy" look that i can tell but I do fair the arm test, if I"m doing it right. And lately, I've felt "puffy" all over and have gained weight.

Maybe I'll order the book or see if they have it at the library.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#554 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
That's interesting. LDN is what my SIL is now on. I can't remember if she's on it for her hashi, her lupus, or her lyme, but I thought it was the lyme. So maybe that would help both. Scarily I'm thinking of prophylactic mastectomies, and though it's certainly not natural or healthy, it seems better than a lot of the other options.
I've read about LDN helping all three. This is the main LDN site:
http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/

Yes, I saw you mention that about the prophylactic surgery. All I can say is that sometimes we just have to listen to our intuition and do our best. Even what seems like the "wrong" step can turn out to be the right one as the journey continues.
#555 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:

So here's another piece. There was a time last winter when *I* got sick and during that time DS did very well. Would my being sick work along the same lines? I doubt it but thought I'd ask.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#556 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
This is interesting. i have always wondering if I was hypoT but my thyroid tests are always *very* normal. Not even close to not being normal. I don't have a "puffy" look that i can tell but I do fair the arm test, if I"m doing it right. And lately, I've felt "puffy" all over and have gained weight.

Maybe I'll order the book or see if they have it at the library.
Crap, I just lost my post, my internet connection has been sucky today!! Why does this always happen on long posts?!

I had my library order a bunch of books including Starr's so if you can link into the Minuteman network you can request to have it when I return it. Now that I know they do this I'm going to order a bunch of cool stuff. I also ordered James Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue book and Datis Kharrizian's.

Are you taking a good form of selenium?

Have you had adrenal testing done?

Of course nutritional deficiencies and toxicities can be a factor in cellular thyroid resistance, but also there is evidence that both can be influenced by poor thyroid function interfering with digestion as well as detox. Chicken or the egg! I've thought long and hard about it and concluded I would go with my dr.'s rec and see how things go b/c she is really the best I've ever found.

My TSH has always been "perfect", under 2, no antibodies. It wasn't until now that Wedda tested my reverse T3 and total T3 that something unusual came up. But I have been telling dr's for the last 15 years I've had many hypoT sx that have only gotten worse. There is a great deal of doctors which treat by sx first instead of lab results: Dr. Starr only being one. Dr. Langer's book "Solved: The Riddle of Illness" updates Dr. Broda Barnes' work (creator of basal body temp test). Dr. Lowe's site I linked to today in the fibromyalgia thread was very interesting, he is finding most FM patients respond to thyroid supplements.

There is so much evidence that traditional thyroid testing is useless unless it shows bad numbers or antibodies. So many patients go on T4 - Synthroid, which improves their TSH but they still feel like sh*t. Obviously something more is going on and there are studies on "thyroid resistance". But mainstream medicine ignores these and assume that everyone has perfect conversion and cellular communication and are able to stimulate the TSH... because if the thyroid hormone is not getting used by the cells, or the cells cannot tell the pituitary to make more, the TSH isn't going to go up.
#557 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I'll followup on this. As an aside, does Yasko's protocol involve getting methylation moving? If that inactivates the virus that seems like a key thing to stopping it in the long run.

Also, does the fact that he has chronic congestion point more towards an infection in the sinus' as opposed to in the gut? He's never been vaccinated so he didn't get it that way.
I think Yasko thinks of the gut as the reservoir, and it can reinfect other places. Methylation would help on two fronts, fighting the virus, and fighting chronic congestion. However, many ASD kids get methylation moving and still end up having to take strep on directly - it's an evil virus, hard to get rid of. Does your son have any OCD type behaviors? At least in ASD kids, those are common with strep flares.

Quote:
So here's another piece. There was a time last winter when *I* got sick and during that time DS did very well. Would my being sick work along the same lines? I doubt it but thought I'd ask.
Hmmm. Guessing your body dumped a bunch of stuff into your bloodstream to kick your immune reaction into gear, and some of that may pass through breastmilk, and have given his immune system a boost? Or you passed him some good virus killing stuff directly? I don't think we really understand very well what we pass through breastmilk, but it wouldn't surprise me if we send things to help our babes fight off whatever virus we have

Another possibility is that you have strep as well, and when you got sick, you had a fever and shut down your strep, so you weren't passing on to him? (Don't know if that can be done, just mentally scoping out the possiblities).

I'll go read more on Yasko for you when I have a moment - this isn't one of DS' issues, so I don't have my brain well wrapped around it.

ETA: Oh yeah. DS got stung by a wasp last weekend - 3 different stings, 1 on his belly, one on each knee. Belly was first I think, the second knee was very minor. At the time, he had a very minor reaction - swelling, but back to playing in a few minutes, and they didn't seem to bother him. Gone in a few days. This morning, the belly one is back - there is a red ring around where the sting was. And his knee has a hot swollen red patch about 2 inches in diameter. Any idea what's going on? It's freaking me out a bit - my mom and grandfather are anaphylactic allergic to bee/wasp stings, and the last time I was stung I had a systemic reaction as well. But a week later, isn't that an awfully long time

Edited again - well crap. There's something called serum sickness that happens in about 0.3% of bee/wasp stings. Generalized immune reaction about a week later - anything from fever and achy joints to big rash to swollen joints... Sigh. Why my kid.

#558 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
has there been any concerted effort to test basal body temps with ASD kids?
Thyroid discussion comes up a lot on the vitamin k yahoo group, I think I've seen it mentioned on the autism mercury list as well. Don't know if they're actually testing BBTs but there seems to be a reasonable level of knowledge as thyroid function being sub-par.

So, I feel really icky today. Was worried that my experimentation with the modified citrus pectin had really messed me up, but DS is napping for more than 3 hours (he doesn't nap regularly at all anymore) so I'm thinking we're fighting something off. Blah. This was my weekend to get caught up. Ain't gonna happen.

Following the various discussions with much interest over here. JaneS, your description of the skin on our upper arms being like the back of our hands (supposed to be) is fascinating--mine isn't. I need to test DH. Is anyone's upper arm _really_ like that?

Deb, I don't have any guesses about the red marks that are back. Wish I could help. That does seem like a long time, but when it's the same places, it seems related, I just don't know how.

eta: just saw your update. Ugh.
#559 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 09:25 PM

Well crap. Based on what I'm reading about serum sickness these rashes we're seeing likely precede DS feeling totally crappy - fever, swollen joints, swollen face, hives, itching all over, maybe issues breathing. Treatment can include steroids. And most scary to me, it's not an uncommon trigger for childhood arthritis (which all three of my sibs have). . OK, second most scary - it also means he's pretty much guaranteed to have a repeat bout of serum sickness, but more severe, and quite possibly anaphylaxis, if he ever gets stung again.

Really? We just got done with freaking whooping cough. OK, homeopathic experts - what would you want to have on hand for itching, swelling, fever, and swollen/aching joints? I'll also get Benedryl and phone my HCP first thing Monday morning for an Epipen.

#560 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 09:26 PM

Deb.

I've lost 3 "friends" on FB in the last week or so. Presumably because of my prolific postings on the plight of indigenous Americans. I haven't gone through my list to figure out who they are. If they knew me at all, they'd know that I will get annoyed with all the postings soon and either taper off or stop altogether (and they could hide me until then). Of course, if they were close friends, they'd know my feelings on the matter too so meh.
Tired. Did groceries. Getting ready to make supper. Contemplating. Not sure what yet, just contemplating.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#561 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 PM

Sorry, Deb, no idea on a remedy.

So, I noticed last night that there was an odd taste to my water. Thought maybe just needed to change my water filter. Today realized- noo, that's dishwasher detergent or something... figured ds1 maybe went overboard with it.
just checked out the dishwasher.. SOMEhow, the rinse reservoir thing (you know- put jet-glo or whatever it's called or vinegar in it?) has been filled with BLEACH. W.T.F?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#562 of 580 Old 07-31-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Well crap. Based on what I'm reading about serum sickness these rashes we're seeing likely precede DS feeling totally crappy - fever, swollen joints, swollen face, hives, itching all over, maybe issues breathing. Treatment can include steroids. And most scary to me, it's not an uncommon trigger for childhood arthritis (which all three of my sibs have). . OK, second most scary - it also means he's pretty much guaranteed to have a repeat bout of serum sickness, but more severe, and quite possibly anaphylaxis, if he ever gets stung again.

Really? We just got done with freaking whooping cough. OK, homeopathic experts - what would you want to have on hand for itching, swelling, fever, and swollen/aching joints? I'll also get Benedryl and phone my HCP first thing Monday morning for an Epipen.

Since it's from a bee sting, I wonder if apis would still be applicable. I may try to make an appt with someone really knowledgeable, wonder if PB would do a phone appointment?

On the plus side, you're doing great on nutritional support customized for your son, he's going into this better than most who are susceptible.
#563 of 580 Old 08-01-2010, 01:18 AM

Eek, Deb. Hoping it's just a mild delayed response and nothing comes of it. True to what Tanya said too.

And ew, JR. Can just throwing the dishes through a rinse work? (Oh, after you get all the bleach out of it? Ick.)

Recall two weeks when I slipped and fell? I went shopping with DH last night and as I walked, that muscle began to bother me again--worse and worse until I could barely walk and touching them uscle caused me to gasp in pain. Got outa there, DH had to lift me into the car, I was crying it hurt so much! Called MW and am to stay down (not bed rest but not up doing stuff) for a week and take it easy so it will heal before labor. CanNOT imagine being in labor with this muscle (the one that stretches across just above the leg and just under the abdomen). I think I would die...
Any homeopathics for this come to mind? I'm using essential oils and frankencense and white fir are really helping, but I had to get up and shower so I could go sit at my grandparents' 62nd wedding anniversary party and it really hurt it to be up enough to just do that.
On the funny bone side, DH said I was getting a lot of looks in the store and people thought I was in labor. Ha! If I was in labor, they wouldn't have known a thing! I deal with that much better, lol.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#564 of 580 Old 08-01-2010, 02:08 AM

deb. Wow.
Yuck, jr!

On the thyroid stuff... I think Dr K blames thyroid resistance on adrenal fatigue? It's exactly my moms issue. We had dinner at her house tonight - a pork butt roast slow cooked on the grill, mmmmmmmmm. Anyway, I tried the arm thing on her, me and dh. And dd, but she said it hurt and ran away My mom (screaming obvious thyroid symptoms, normal tests, overweight, not much muscle) and I (potential/questionable thyroid symptoms, high-normal weight, strong arms) can pinch a teeny tiny bit of skin, or else it's like an inch and a half or more. Dh (thyroid issues unlikely, super skinny, strong arms) can pinch about 1/4 inch easily.

Dd tried a buffalo bleu kettle chip and liked it. Then peed a million times, including on grammys floor. We also spent the afternoon at the pool, and she was a bit out of sorts all morning. Sigh.

As soon as this round of enzyme die off settles (soon, I hope!), I think we're ditching the elimination diet concept. I've been reading on bloodsugarthinktank about certain cheeses *helping* blood sugar, and its got me thinking about traditional diets. Not like the mix and match that traditional foods seems to become, but like the whole eating culture of specific groups. I'm not quite ready to reintro or even test gluten, but I think we're going to work towards going French, perhaps. Yogurt, cheese, fruit, salami, pate, other organ meats, wine, slow meals, etc. It'll be a fun experiment at the very least!

Eta: oh right, the interesting part of the theory - I'm thinking that people will tend to break in similar was, across centuries, and that the traditional diets have a huge bit of prevention and support in them. So it makes sense to me right now that they would be good for healing as well. And in this moment, that makes more sense to me than an elimination diet does. At least for our situation.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#565 of 580 Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Crap, I just lost my post, my internet connection has been sucky today!! Why does this always happen on long posts?!

I had my library order a bunch of books including Starr's so if you can link into the Minuteman network you can request to have it when I return it. Now that I know they do this I'm going to order a bunch of cool stuff. I also ordered James Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue book and Datis Kharrizian's.

Are you taking a good form of selenium?

I am taking a liquid selenium, sodium selenite.

Have you had adrenal testing done?

Yes, and they are in the crapper

Of course nutritional deficiencies and toxicities can be a factor in cellular thyroid resistance, but also there is evidence that both can be influenced by poor thyroid function interfering with digestion as well as detox. Chicken or the egg! I've thought long and hard about it and concluded I would go with my dr.'s rec and see how things go b/c she is really the best I've ever found.

My TSH has always been "perfect", under 2, no antibodies. It wasn't until now that Wedda tested my reverse T3 and total T3 that something unusual came up. But I have been telling dr's for the last 15 years I've had many hypoT sx that have only gotten worse. There is a great deal of doctors which treat by sx first instead of lab results: Dr. Starr only being one. Dr. Langer's book "Solved: The Riddle of Illness" updates Dr. Broda Barnes' work (creator of basal body temp test). Dr. Lowe's site I linked to today in the fibromyalgia thread was very interesting, he is finding most FM patients respond to thyroid supplements.

I just went to a new PCP. When I asked for a full thyroid panel she told me that the TSH is a very sensitive test and if its in range you're ok. Well, clearly I picked the wrong pcp. Maybe I'll try to get into Wedda but last time I tried I couldn't get an appointment b/c I couldn't get in for a physical b/c her calendar was full.

There is so much evidence that traditional thyroid testing is useless unless it shows bad numbers or antibodies. So many patients go on T4 - Synthroid, which improves their TSH but they still feel like sh*t. Obviously something more is going on and there are studies on "thyroid resistance". But mainstream medicine ignores these and assume that everyone has perfect conversion and cellular communication and are able to stimulate the TSH... because if the thyroid hormone is not getting used by the cells, or the cells cannot tell the pituitary to make more, the TSH isn't going to go up.
What a conundrum. Maybe I should try to see Wedda, if she's still taking patients. At the time I was just too tired to add another long drive.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#566 of 580 Old 08-01-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
He only does ortho I think anyways.

What is traditional yeast?
Sorry, not thinking. I meant sour dough breads.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#567 of 580 Old 08-01-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I think Yasko thinks of the gut as the reservoir, and it can reinfect other places. Methylation would help on two fronts, fighting the virus, and fighting chronic congestion. However, many ASD kids get methylation moving and still end up having to take strep on directly - it's an evil virus, hard to get rid of. Does your son have any OCD type behaviors? At least in ASD kids, those are common with strep flares.

Haven't really noticed OCD behaviors.

Hmmm. Guessing your body dumped a bunch of stuff into your bloodstream to kick your immune reaction into gear, and some of that may pass through breastmilk, and have given his immune system a boost? Or you passed him some good virus killing stuff directly? I don't think we really understand very well what we pass through breastmilk, but it wouldn't surprise me if we send things to help our babes fight off whatever virus we have

Another possibility is that you have strep as well, and when you got sick, you had a fever and shut down your strep, so you weren't passing on to him? (Don't know if that can be done, just mentally scoping out the possiblities).

I'll go read more on Yasko for you when I have a moment - this isn't one of DS' issues, so I don't have my brain well wrapped around it.

Edited again - well crap. There's something called serum sickness that happens in about 0.3% of bee/wasp stings. Generalized immune reaction about a week later - anything from fever and achy joints to big rash to swollen joints... Sigh. Why my kid.
Boy, that is scary. I hope it doesn't last long. Is this some new phenomena?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#568 of 580 Old 08-01-2010, 12:22 PM

So, if I develop bad computer vibes, can I change this somehow? DH, JUST YESTERDAY! got my new keyboard installed (remember my 'e' problem?)... and it was lovely to use my computer again (on DH's now)... til last night.

(Well, I think it was lovely to use his computer... while I was using it, his screen started going very dim when the lid is at certain angles--only sometimes, and I eventually figured I just need to adjust the angle of the screen of the laptop and it stops... but it apparently never did this before and I haven't dropped it and DH hasn't either)

So last night, no idea what I clicked on, but I seem to have acquired a nasty virus in my computer; I can't open a single application, I get a nasty dinging noise and a 'do this to fix it' message that doesn't help.

Ok, DH got it open in safe mode and was able to start my virus/malware software... this works...

Shannon, sounds tasty and happy, and plausible. Make sure to include whatever herbs and such are appropriate?

Danni--so sorry, I hope that muscle heals really fast.
#569 of 580 Old 08-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
On the thyroid stuff... I think Dr K blames thyroid resistance on adrenal fatigue? It's exactly my moms issue. We had dinner at her house tonight - a pork butt roast slow cooked on the grill, mmmmmmmmm. Anyway, I tried the arm thing on her, me and dh. And dd, but she said it hurt and ran away My mom (screaming obvious thyroid symptoms, normal tests, overweight, not much muscle) and I (potential/questionable thyroid symptoms, high-normal weight, strong arms) can pinch a teeny tiny bit of skin, or else it's like an inch and a half or more. Dh (thyroid issues unlikely, super skinny, strong arms) can pinch about 1/4 inch easily.
I can't remember what, exactly, but there's something about cortisol and thyroid hormones and how they interact which can cause problems. Too little adrenal support, in the presence of adrenal fatigue, can cause hyperT symptoms in someone who is actually hypoT.

PS. I REALLY want berries!

#570 of 580 Old 08-01-2010, 02:46 PM

Well, DS is REALLY stimmy, and not pooping, but nothing else terrible has happened yet.

Serum sickness used to be fairly common, back when they didn't have vaccines and treated diptheria, tetanus, and rabies exposure with horse serum. It still happens with anti-venom treatments for snakebites and things. It's very uncommon with beestings (0.3%), but I read about several cases in beekeeper forums.

Chlobo, with your genetics, adrenal fatigue and thyroid issues are common, but you likely won't do much more than bandaid them until you get on a LOT of B12. You may still need extra help/support after that to heal your thyroid/adrenals, but I'd give basic organ support and then work on B12.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page