Juicy July Chat in the Allergy Forum - Page 20 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#571 of 580 Old 08-01-2010, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long have I been in this detoxification world? I think it's 3 years? And DH didn't "get" that artificial colors and flavors need to be detoxified and use up the same nutrients that I've been supplementing. He's a great guy, he's really been supportive through this mess, but I have no idea how he hasn't picked that up yet. He bought the kids some gum yesterday, from one of the candy stores where you scoop from bins, like 30 or 40 little pieces, in bright, fake colors. And I feel like the heavy--even though I've mentioned this (he tends to buy candy or a slurpee or something like that on their Saturday morning excursions). I don't want to be the heavy, the bad guy, but it's almost every week that he's getting something like this, and 30-40 little pieces of gum are going to make this an every day thing for days and days.

I guess I hadn't realized just how differently we perceive this whole thing. I have been in charge of researching and implementing, but I thought I'd talked enough that he got the general idea--but I guess not the specifics. Ah well.

Deb, let us know how things go with your DS? What's made stimminess go up/down in the past for your DS? Seems like it's a clue as to what's being thrown out of whack, what nutrients are being used up, pathways strained. that this passes quickly and doesn't ever, ever escalate into a more serious reaction if/when he's stung again.
#572 of 580 Old 08-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Awww, DS is so cute! So, bedtime was WAY late last night because of DS's 4-hour nap, and I tried an earlier naptime today to see if he needed a bit more sleep, but no dice.

*I* still needed quiet time so he was playing on the couch in the play room while DD was in her bedroom, and DS fell asleep. His little head is propped on the arm of the couch, looking over the side (that would give me a horrible crick in my neck) but he's really cute. DD is really quiet too, I am going to go see if she's asleep or not.

Oh, and it's extra funny because after I gave up on him napping in bed, I gave him his comt-- methyl donor supp and a sublingual B12. Really didn't expect him to fall asleep immediately after those.

Makes up for the bickering that was the initial push to have quiet time today.
#573 of 580 Old 08-01-2010, 10:27 PM

I finally figured out mayo tonight (yes, it has eggs - sorry folks, but it doesn't have any soy or corn in it, which all the store-bought mayos seem to have) and I made tuna macaroni salad (rice noodles). Yum. Yum. Double yum. It tasted... yes... NORMAL. I had 3 bowls of it. Tomorrow I'm going to make a salad and make thousand island dressing (homemade ketchup, my mother's homemade zucchini relish, and the mayo). I'm trying to think what else I can do with it, since it only lasts for 3 days. Maybe I'll make some bread so I can make a BLT or a cucumber sandwich (which will remind me of my Grandpa). I'm not feeling too creative these days; I have too much else going on in my mind.

I still haven't started the cell salts, or my metals chelating, or the pancreas enzymes. I'm definitely stalled. My back has been spasming non-stop for 3 days and I don't even know why (tell me it's not because I did 2 flips into the pool and swam for 10 minutes, because that would say I'm even more out of shape than I thought I was, but I didn't eat anything odd). DS is stalled for foods. I'm thinking of trying DD2 on something new but can't think what would make life easier or something that she's really missing (except the big 4, and those scare me too much).

I'm thinking about all you guys, and keep checking how things are going for you all, but can't think of anything super supportive to say and I definitely don't have ideas to make things easier. But I'm thinking of you.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#574 of 580 Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
I guess I hadn't realized just how differently we perceive this whole thing. I have been in charge of researching and implementing, but I thought I'd talked enough that he got the general idea--but I guess not the specifics. Ah well.

Deb, let us know how things go with your DS? What's made stimminess go up/down in the past for your DS? Seems like it's a clue as to what's being thrown out of whack, what nutrients are being used up, pathways strained. that this passes quickly and doesn't ever, ever escalate into a more serious reaction if/when he's stung again.
Empathy on the gum stuff - I hear you. I tell DH stuff, and he's supportive, but DS is not pooping right now (= give lots of mag and separate from milk). Yeah - no.

Things that make him stimmy, unfortunately, are legion. With the no pooping, I have to suspect mag, maybe B6. Could also be backed up toxins from not pooping, serotonin out of whack, using up more methyl groups than usual, or not enough. Or detox reaction - perhaps from his body's stepped up immune response to the bee stings.

The rash is better today, so I don't know if that's the worst of what we'll get, or we may still get the fever & joint swelling. And tomorrow I get to call our HCP and get an epi pen for a reaction type she's probably never heard of, that should be fun . I think I may just hedge my bets, tell her he had a systemic reaction to a bee sting, and leave it at that.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#575 of 580 Old 08-02-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I finally figured out mayo tonight (yes, it has eggs - sorry folks, but it doesn't have any soy or corn in it, which all the store-bought mayos seem to have) and I made tuna macaroni salad (rice noodles). Yum. Yum. Double yum. It tasted... yes... NORMAL. I had 3 bowls of it. Tomorrow I'm going to make a salad and make thousand island dressing (homemade ketchup, my mother's homemade zucchini relish, and the mayo). I'm trying to think what else I can do with it, since it only lasts for 3 days. Maybe I'll make some bread so I can make a BLT or a cucumber sandwich (which will remind me of my Grandpa). I'm not feeling too creative these days; I have too much else going on in my mind.
Tuna macaroni salad. Yum. Is it basically tuna salad plus noodles?
There's talk in TF land about adding whey to homemade mayo to make it a bit probiotic and keep longer. If you could find a tasty ferment juice, that could extend the life a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
I keep getting stuff like that from dh, too. We really just don't see eye to eye on this stuff, at all. He humors me, and has gotten good at it, but every now and then something will come up and slap me in the face with how much we're in totally different places..

I planted a stevia plant a few weeks ago, and just today tasted a leaf. So much fun! Now I want to make a mojito from the yard...

I finally got some mental processing time this afternoon. Not much, but I was so low on it, it counted for a lot I'm looking at my healing and dd's and what nutrients and supports and what order and what goes through milk vs not. But more importantly, I divided it out into categories. There's the organ support - PNO, sweetbreads, liver, greens for K, etc; and the detox support - Mo, vit C, clay, zinc, mag, etc. Then there's exercise and emotional/mood support. Giving those their own categories really points out to me how much they've been on the back burner with all this. And if dh were in charge, they'd be the ONLY thing to work on. Now that the nutrition is somewhat settled, (and I'm still excited about my healing foods rather than eliminating foods plan) and now that dd is in a place where I can come up with ways to meet my needs for community and socialization, I'm excited to start working on those angles

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#576 of 580 Old 08-02-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Then there's exercise and emotional/mood support. Giving those their own categories really points out to me how much they've been on the back burner with all this. And if dh were in charge, they'd be the ONLY thing to work on. Now that the nutrition is somewhat settled, (and I'm still excited about my healing foods rather than eliminating foods plan) and now that dd is in a place where I can come up with ways to meet my needs for community and socialization, I'm excited to start working on those angles
Interesting - DS and I both have MAO+ genes, which Yasko handles with frequent low dose 5htp. We tried her compounded supp, just 5htp, theramood patch - all made me much moodier, and messed up DS in plenty of ways. DH pointed out to me that I choose to work at home (much less stressful for me than an office), I try to get sleep, I do yoga - for me, I have chosen a lifestyle, rather than supps, to handle that piece for me. How do we do that for DS? And the answer is pretty simple for him - let him be outside a lot, work damn hard to fix anything messing with his sleep, and don't overdo stressful environments. Some things, supps rock for. Others, not so much. Good for you for thinking of some of the pieces you've backburnered for a while.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#577 of 580 Old 08-02-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Interesting - DS and I both have MAO+ genes, which Yasko handles with frequent low dose 5htp. We tried her compounded supp, just 5htp, theramood patch - all made me much moodier, and messed up DS in plenty of ways. DH pointed out to me that I choose to work at home (much less stressful for me than an office), I try to get sleep, I do yoga - for me, I have chosen a lifestyle, rather than supps, to handle that piece for me. How do we do that for DS? And the answer is pretty simple for him - let him be outside a lot, work damn hard to fix anything messing with his sleep, and don't overdo stressful environments. Some things, supps rock for. Others, not so much. Good for you for thinking of some of the pieces you've backburnered for a while.
Yet, I don't think some of this stuff was even possible or worth considering if we hadn't gotten to where we are now. That would be me growing up - missing the nutritional stuff, focusing just on the mental. Not a long term fix And rereading what I wrote, we really aren't anywhere exciting, nutrient-wise. I haven't done any food trials post-enzymes to know if anything's different, I'm just hopeful. And fed up with the elimination paradigm and intrigued by the medicinal (as opposed to nutritional) food paradigm.

At the farmers market today, there was heirloom organic baby corn in the husk. You can eat the whole thing raw, including the husk and stem! I guess thats my first trial... Does baby corn count as corn? The husk was really yummy and addicting...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#578 of 580 Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Kathy After all the stress you've been through, I think you have every reason to be burned out. Wish I could help somehow.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#579 of 580 Old 08-02-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Already August on the Allergy forum?!

Join the new chat thread.

Pat

I have a blog.
#580 of 580 Old 08-02-2010, 01:10 PM

Can I tell you that having a pulled muscle in an already stretching stomach is not fun? I too am following but all my energy is in healing, child watching and baby making at this point. This is my month, girls. I have waited for this month all year, lol.
On the allergy note, I have a friend bringing me dinner tonight. Kind of exciting, kind of scary. Never had anyone other than my mom and sis make us food since we went gf/cf...She's keeping it simple--a roast with carrots, potatoes and salt and pepper and peaches for dessert. She wanted to make a dessert but I had no idea what to even suggest! Unless it's buying some coconut icecream at the HFS.
DD is a basket case right now. Very angry. Strange, but I don't think she's lost any food...I'm wondering if it's swimming? Chlorines, bromines?

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page