Mothering Forum banner

Juicy July Chat in the Allergy Forum

23K views 579 replies 22 participants last post by  dannic 
#1 ·
Join us for updates on our trials, tribulations and joys as we Celebrate Juicy July with watermelon and tomatoes and wild berries.

So bring your questions, problems, celebrations and general amazing-ness here.

Pat

See less See more
#477 ·
M2S, glad things are looking up.

I went jogging last night, first time in ages. Slow, very little distance, and I was probably hilarious to watch because I was running very, very carefully because the sidewalk was wet (rains a lot in Houston in the summer) and I am almost, but not quite, all better from hurting my knee on vacation. Probably looked like I am 80 yo.

It's hard to come back from vacation, this year I'm really seeing it. The frig was almost empty, no leftovers, I have to start everything from the beginning (I guess I'm used to having at least a few leftovers to hold us over for a few meals)...

And the mosquitoes are already annoying me. Yeah, the ones in the house. I think we get one every time we open the door, which when you add in the dogs, means we are feeding them pretty regularly.

Anyway, fun times here. My car's brakes started shaking while we were on vacation, so it needs to go in. Oh, and did you know, when you forget to have an oil change and go 10,000 miles PAST the recommended change, you may start getting black smoke from your tailpipe when you start your car. Whoops. Funny: as I pulled up for an oil change on vacation, I realized that was probably the first time I've ever had to pull the car up over the hole in the floor in the oil change place.
I was married before I owned my own car and DH has always taken care of all the car-related stuff. It was pretty funny to realize.

Hope everyone with sick kids sees upturns today, especially you, Kathy, with this long, long, LONG illness.
for a peaceful, productive day for us all!

#478 ·
Another FYI, getting an appointment with a good optometrist (or is he an ophthalmologist? not sure) can take a while. I don't know if it's the pre-school-starting rush, or if he's always like this, but it'll take several weeks to get an appt with the doc a friend recommended. The one on our pedi's list had an appt in 2 days--nice guy, but not nearly enough time for questions.

I know I'm being incurably optimistic, but I'm hoping that DS rubbing his eyes more the past few weeks (yesterday he said they felt like pins and needles in his eyes) is a sign of his eyes improving rather than getting worse. Wouldn't it be cool if his eyes had gotten enough better that this prescription was now too strong?
Yeah, seems a bit much to expect, but I can hope. Kids' eyes _do_ change, and apparently it can be fast given that they wanted us back in 6 months, but still.

#479 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
JR, I missed the beginning of epic cold stories, but any chance you've got whooping cough? DS and DD are STILL coughing from that, although it's very infrequent now. It was a mucousy, choking, coughing nightmare for several weeks.

If so, here's the page with homeopathic remedies I used to pick one that fit (drosera, ipecac, kali bichromium at different points for my kids, first two for DD, last two for DS) http://health.hpathy.com/whooping-co...tment-cure.asp
Wouldn't DS1 still be coughing since that's who we caught it from? And DS2? They're both fine now.
I think it's just moved into my chest and become a chest infection now.
In fact, I'm fairly certain since I'm craving horseradish (which generally only happens when I'm getting or have a chest infection).

eta: Thank you for the link though. It looks like there may be helpful suggestions for DS3.

#480 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Wouldn't DS1 still be coughing since that's who we caught it from? And DS2? They're both fine now.
I think it's just moved into my chest and become a chest infection now.
In fact, I'm fairly certain since I'm craving horseradish (which generally only happens when I'm getting or have a chest infection).

eta: Thank you for the link though. It looks like there may be helpful suggestions for DS3.
Nope, people recover from whooping cough at very different rates - and babies and immune compromised people tend to take the longest, and get the most severe cases. I think MIL got whooping cough from my kids, and she coughed for about a week (DS has been coughing now for 8 weeks, although it's only 1-2x a day now). Keep an eye on yourself, secondary bacterial pneumonia is a fairly common side effect of whooping cough.

#481 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Nope, people recover from whooping cough at very different rates - and babies and immune compromised people tend to take the longest, and get the most severe cases. I think MIL got whooping cough from my kids, and she coughed for about a week (DS has been coughing now for 8 weeks, although it's only 1-2x a day now). Keep an eye on yourself, secondary bacterial pneumonia is a fairly common side effect of whooping cough.
Yeah, I've had pneumonia before. This is more like bronchitis. I'm more concerned with DS3 than I am with myself at this point in time.
eta: I did some research earlier and came to that conclusion as well. Hoping that is NOT what it is and that DS3 recovers quickly.

#482 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I think my tomato plants have an early sign of blight. It has been traveling in the Northeast. I've been so proud of my plants (first time gardener), and we've been enjoying the delish tomatoes. what a bummer.
That IS a bummer! I've been severely neglecting my garden. It needs me and I don't care, lol. Too hot, tired, pregnant-uncomfortable. How did they do it when they HAD to? I think I'm inherently lazy. Not a characteristic I'm wanting to be. Is there a remedy for that, lol?

Sheesh, would you guys just all get better already?

SO I posted about and experience in my DDC...I may have over reacted, but the stress of the thought of having kids with CP and LO freaked me out...what do you think?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1247749

I am wanting to nest, but not wanting to, lol. I want a perfectly decluttered house without having to do it.
My next prenatal is tomorrow...let you know how it goes!

#483 ·
Some times are convenient for CP and some aren't. A friend's family had CP last year and I was grateful that we happened to be--travelling? sick with something else? -- whatever it was, we happened to not see them in the time period when they were contagious and I didn't seek them out. DS was still getting sick pretty frequently and I really wanted to give his body a rest.

I'll be more active seeking it out, or at least being open to it, some other year, but for now, it's one more challenge that I'd rather not take on at this time.

All that to say--avoiding it now makes sense to me. And it's crazy hot where you are to boot! Itchy, hot kids? Extra misery. And the small chance that it'd still be around when you've got a newborn, that's not something I'd want.

#484 ·
Quote:

Yeah, I've had pneumonia before. This is more like bronchitis. I'm more concerned with DS3 than I am with myself at this point in time.
eta: I did some research earlier and came to that conclusion as well. Hoping that is NOT what it is and that DS3 recovers quickly.

I'm confused, but it's been a very non-productive, mentally blah day here (I feel like I've written that exact thing in the past, and to you JR! how weird)

You think it _is_ WC or you think it _is_ bronchitis, or something else?

If it's WC, some folks say straight vitamin A helps, lots of folks say vitamin C helps, I found vitC helpful in our prolonged coughing illness (still haven't done a blood draw, talk about procrastination!), if you do well on methyl B12, seems like a possibility.
for whatever's going on!

#485 ·
That's how I felt, too, but felt sheepish after I got off the phone, like maybe I'd overreacted. She was super about it, so there wasn't any discomfort there at all, but I felt bad. I knew she was looking forward to coming too.

#486 ·
Tanya - I went to the Indian grocery today and got the Dosa and Idlis predone refrigerated mixes. And an idlis steamer (no instructions). How long do I steam for? Do I just put a little water in the bottom of a pan and pop in the trays? help!!

Jaq - well, if we've all got the same bug (what are the odds?). DD2 started 2.5 weeks ago and is still coughing her phlegmy cough (she had 10 days of fever). DD1's fever finally ended last night so she had 13 days of fever, 11 days of coughing. Both are still coughing phlegmy at night and during the day. DD1 still has absolutely no energy. They both lost appetite and weight, though DD1 seems to be recovering much more slowly. As with DD2 as soon as I got to the point where I said "if she still has a fever today I'm taking her in" it went away. I'm still worrying though. I got the homeopathic flu remedy and it didn't do anything for DD1. I had them both take the homeopathic cough medicine and both took 1 dose and wouldn't take anymore because they didn't like the taste.

Went to surgeon today. She says she recommends 5 years of Tamoxifen (the side effects aren't good; I haven't looked at the ingredients yet) and MRI or mammogram every 6 months. And probably contrary to popular opinion, I just want these ticking time bombs off of me. She wants me to talk to an oncologist and a plastic surgeon to find out more info. My anxiety has reached an all time high these last few months and no amount of magnesium is helping it. I looked it up -- Tamoxifen has lactose and cornstarch in it - oh great. I would have to take it for 5 years with all it's regular side effects besides the food intolerance symptoms of diarrhea, increased anxiety, nightmares, and back spasms -- I can't wait!

And DS keeps saying he's dizzy and tonight he said he was seeing different colored stars. Is he creative? reacting (I should write it down -- it's not every day -- today was rice day... hmmm). Or lyme die off? It's hard to tell these days.

#487 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Tanya - I went to the Indian grocery today and got the Dosa and Idlis predone refrigerated mixes. And an idlis steamer (no instructions). How long do I steam for? Do I just put a little water in the bottom of a pan and pop in the trays? help!!

Jaq - well, if we've all got the same bug (what are the odds?). DD2 started 2.5 weeks ago and is still coughing her phlegmy cough (she had 10 days of fever). DD1's fever finally ended last night so she had 13 days of fever, 11 days of coughing. Both are still coughing phlegmy at night and during the day. DD1 still has absolutely no energy. They both lost appetite and weight, though DD1 seems to be recovering much more slowly. As with DD2 as soon as I got to the point where I said "if she still has a fever today I'm taking her in" it went away. I'm still worrying though. I got the homeopathic flu remedy and it didn't do anything for DD1. I had them both take the homeopathic cough medicine and both took 1 dose and wouldn't take anymore because they didn't like the taste.

Went to surgeon today. She says she recommends 5 years of Tamoxifen (the side effects aren't good; I haven't looked at the ingredients yet) and MRI or mammogram every 6 months. And probably contrary to popular opinion, I just want these ticking time bombs off of me. She wants me to talk to an oncologist and a plastic surgeon to find out more info. My anxiety has reached an all time high these last few months and no amount of magnesium is helping it. I looked it up -- Tamoxifen has lactose and cornstarch in it - oh great. I would have to take it for 5 years with all it's regular side effects besides the food intolerance symptoms of diarrhea, increased anxiety, nightmares, and back spasms -- I can't wait!

And DS keeps saying he's dizzy and tonight he said he was seeing different colored stars. Is he creative? reacting (I should write it down -- it's not every day -- today was rice day... hmmm). Or lyme die off? It's hard to tell these days.
Wow. Big
That's a lot of stress! I wish I could be helpful.

When I'm dizzy and seeing stars, it's crashing blood sugar. Has he eaten anything?

Still chugging over here. Got more sleep last night than in a while, and was in a good mood all day. Dh found tickle spots on ds to make him laugh. Dd ate salmon salad for lunch. Life is good. Today.

#490 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannic View Post
That IS a bummer! I've been severely neglecting my garden. It needs me and I don't care, lol. Too hot, tired, pregnant-uncomfortable. How did they do it when they HAD to? I think I'm inherently lazy. Not a characteristic I'm wanting to be. Is there a remedy for that, lol?

Sheesh, would you guys just all get better already?

SO I posted about and experience in my DDC...I may have over reacted, but the stress of the thought of having kids with CP and LO freaked me out...what do you think?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1247749

I am wanting to nest, but not wanting to, lol. I want a perfectly decluttered house without having to do it.
My next prenatal is tomorrow...let you know how it goes!
Think it's not blight, but some kind of fungus. Maybe septoria leafspot???? Does that exist?
An inherently lazy remedy??? Yep, Hornbeam and I'm takin' it now. I think Panser recently discussed it on the FE thread. Or maybe just with me. We emailed a couple of times because I got a const remedy for Max and me. I'm sepia. . . does that mean I'm bad??

#491 ·
Sorry Kathy about your level of stress. It is totally understandable. I can only suggest FEs and even am not good at specific suggestions either. But, I've gotten back to them the past couple of weeks and have seen AMAZING results with them.

Max had a 102 fever Monday night and I used cell salts (at first nat mur and then switched to ferr phos at Panser's urging) the fever ended and he was a bit cranky yesterday and a bit today, but he seems fine altogether. I was really worried because the timetable made me think it was from a little boy with a fever for 5 plus days plus cough. I've been also amazed with cell salts. i have a regular headcold which is a real pain while being pregnant and have been seeing great results with ferr phos at first and then with a couple of others.

Boys are keeping me busy today. gotta go.

#493 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post
What are cell salts? How does one know which to take? Enlighten please. Where does one get them?
Here is a thread that where we've been talking about them. They are like homeopathy in the way that they are energy medicine, but what they do is help your body utilize the nutrients already in your body. If you can have lactose, I buy them at 1-800-homeopathy.com (or something like that). If you can't have lactose, Panserbjorne distributes them. She is a MDC mama you can find on the cell salt thread. Some of us have seen amazing results with them.

#494 ·
Kathy,
Both DS1 and I felt dizzy for a day or 2 before getting sick.

For all that is happening for you. I don't suppose there's any way to get the medication compounded?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
I'm confused, but it's been a very non-productive, mentally blah day here (I feel like I've written that exact thing in the past, and to you JR! how weird)

You think it _is_ WC or you think it _is_ bronchitis, or something else?

If it's WC, some folks say straight vitamin A helps, lots of folks say vitamin C helps, I found vitC helpful in our prolonged coughing illness (still haven't done a blood draw, talk about procrastination!), if you do well on methyl B12, seems like a possibility.
for whatever's going on!
I'm sure you have. I'm very confusing. I knew what I wrote was confusing too, sorry for not changing it.

I came to the conclusion that everyone recovers from WC at different speeds. I'm pretty sure it's NOT WC, but let's just say that I won't rule it out? I know I could take DS3 to the doctor but all they can do at this point (assuming it IS WC) is give him abx so he wouldn't be contagious in 5 days.
The part that has me convinced it's not WC is that there aren't any of the typical "coughing until all the air in your lungs is gone" fits.

#495 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post
What are cell salts? How does one know which to take? Enlighten please. Where does one get them?
The thread is helpful, in the main H&H forum. eta: that was poorly worded, I was just recommending the thread and then throwing in the URL for the place that's recommended in the thread to actually buy the salts.

http://www.1-800homeopathy.com/cell-salts.html

Bioplasma is all-around helpful, after that there's a $4 booklet, Biochemic Handbook, to describe the 12 salts (bioplasma is a combo of all 12). 6x seems to be the most common potency, I haven't tried anything else. Lactose base, we are fine with it even though we mostly don't eat dairy (occasional ghee).

Quote:

Kathy, wow, such a difficult time! I'd second getting in touch with PB and talking about FEs and remedies and such to help with anxiety and to help with decision-making. And maybe to help with support for all of you for the lyme die-off issue--can't be fun, given how mercury detox can mess people up and how the two can cause similar types of issues in people, well, support seems good. Does she know of brands of supps that are corn-free? That's been a big issue for your DS, right? And I guess for you too.

eta2: got an appt next Wed for DS to get in with the old ophthalmologist to re-check his eyes.
it's a good reason that he's rubbing his eyes and fiddling with his glasses for the past few weeks! He's had these for less than 3 months.

#496 ·
M2S- Organic Gardening just posted a link on their facebook page yesterday to a tomato problem website. Do a google search for "Rodale tomato problems slideshow" and I bet you'll find it. (I'm still on dial-up, so it would take me half an hour to search out the page for you.
)

I just finally figured out that I have "blossom drop" happening on 2 of my tomato plants, which means I may or may not get ANY tomatoes from my 5' tall plants. sigh. I guess it's pretty common with brandwine (heirloom) and some other varieites if you don't have consistent temps. Next year I'll know better to keep them a little more protected from the crazy Seattle weather fluctuations.

#497 ·
Vent warning... What on earth is going on with my kids?!? DD is overreacting and having emotional meltdowns today, and DS is starting to spin again. I've imposed quiet time both yesterday and today because the kids have been bickering so much and it's totally not helped.

We just got to the point of sitting down and trying to figure out what we can do today that we'll all be happy with. I got few suggestions but maybe the mood has shifted from bickering/whining/nagging/tantrumming to something a bit lighter and more positive. Which doesn't answer why they're feeling so off, but I can muddle my way through anyway. Or something.

Maybe this is just summer wearing on. It is darn hot and humid around here and it's raining so much that playing outside is rough--either it's actively raining and warm, or it's done raining and everything's wet and humid and it's warmer, or occasionally it's dry and hot and still fairly humid. The variations are subtle, and none are truly fun. So I guess it's time to work on my attitude.

eta: and DD's been chewing on her nails more, usually a zinc thing, but I haven't changed anything in our routine of zinc and bioplasma. hmm....

#498 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
Sorry Kathy about your level of stress. It is totally understandable. I can only suggest FEs and even am not good at specific suggestions either. But, I've gotten back to them the past couple of weeks and have seen AMAZING results with them.

Max had a 102 fever Monday night and I used cell salts (at first nat mur and then switched to ferr phos at Panser's urging) the fever ended and he was a bit cranky yesterday and a bit today, but he seems fine altogether. I was really worried because the timetable made me think it was from a little boy with a fever for 5 plus days plus cough. I've been also amazed with cell salts. i have a regular headcold which is a real pain while being pregnant and have been seeing great results with ferr phos at first and then with a couple of others.
I have a box of cell salts. And I got the info from PB for 2 of us (I had to take more pix of DS and haven't gotten around to doing it yet for some reason) but I didn't know I could use it for fevers too! Drat, I'm going to need a book aren't I?

Quote:

Kathy,
Both DS1 and I felt dizzy for a day or 2 before getting sick.

For all that is happening for you. I don't suppose there's any way to get the medication compounded?
DS has been getting dizzy on and off for 2 weeks.
I can ask the oncologist about compounding the Tamoxifen but have you looked at the side effects - early menopause, joint pain, low libido (not that mine can get any lower, says DH), nausea/vomiting, increase in endometrial/uterine cancer, blood clots, deep vein thrombosis, etc. Do I really want to get it compounded?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Bioplasma is all-around helpful, after that there's a $4 booklet, Biochemic Handbook, to describe the 12 salts (bioplasma is a combo of all 12). 6x seems to be the most common potency, I haven't tried anything else. Lactose base, we are fine with it even though we mostly don't eat dairy (occasional ghee).
I need that book. Where can I buy it?

Quote:
Kathy, wow, such a difficult time! I'd second getting in touch with PB and talking about FEs and remedies and such to help with anxiety and to help with decision-making. And maybe to help with support for all of you for the lyme die-off issue--can't be fun, given how mercury detox can mess people up and how the two can cause similar types of issues in people, well, support seems good. Does she know of brands of supps that are corn-free? That's been a big issue for your DS, right? And I guess for you too.
I haven't started the chelating yet that the osteo gave me because I didn't want to start anything new during all that other junk. Which reminds me, I need to call the osteo tomorrow and find what to do about our protocols (stay, change, etc.) and get DD2's lyme results.

I also got pancreatic enzymes but I haven't started those yet either, same reason as above. I feel like I'm treading water, or worse these days. I feel like I just can't make a decision about anything and I'm stalled. One step forward, two steps back. But I'm making sausage-vodka-tomato sauce tonight so at least I have something to look forward to tonight!!

#499 ·
The book is The Biochemic Handbook. $4 from the same place you get the lactose-base cell salts (can any of you take any of those?)...

http://www.1-800homeopathy.com/biochemic-handbook.html

If you want to talk about different ways to chelate lead and mercury, lemme know, or ask Deb (offering on her behalf without her permission!). It's straightforward, lower risk, it's not complicated.

#500 ·
Quote:

I also got pancreatic enzymes but I haven't started those yet either, same reason as above. I feel like I'm treading water, or worse these days. I feel like I just can't make a decision about anything and I'm stalled. One step forward, two steps back. But I'm making sausage-vodka-tomato sauce tonight so at least I have something to look forward to tonight!!
Have you considered getting the opinion of a less allopathic doctor? Maybe a naturopath who works with people with cancer or at risk for cancer? I would want to do that before signing on for 5 years of tamoxifin or any long term drug. Maybe your osteo knows someone? Or maybe PB could recommend someone for you to see?

So where is this vodka sauce recipe?

#501 ·

Sent DS1 out to the office for peas yesterday for supper. Went to get something out today and... The deep freeze was WIDE OPEN.
This time, I have all of my veggies thawed, all of DH's blueberry muffins, all of the hamburgers I made (2 pounds), 3 pounds of chicken pieces, a package of bratwurst... and then some. Also have about 1/2 inch of ice on the walls of the freezer (not frost free).

SO ANGRY. How hard is it to close a deep freeze?!

eta: I realize this is a petty annoyance in the grand scheme of things but seriously... How many times does this, or something similar, have to happen? I guess it's just expecting too much to ask my 10 year old to get anything out of the freezer and make sure it's closed after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.