Juicy July Chat in the Allergy Forum - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 580 Old 07-11-2010, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey - so talk to me about clingy. Does clingy have to do with food issues? Or are we talking about general illness? Scout has been super clingy the last couple of weeks - even always wanting to be carried again.

Karen
#242 of 580 Old 07-11-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
Hey - so talk to me about clingy. Does clingy have to do with food issues? Or are we talking about general illness? Scout has been super clingy the last couple of weeks - even always wanting to be carried again.

Karen
yes, it can be a food issue.
DH is taking the kids for a ride in the car. I'm going to go and lay in the bed and hope this fever breaks.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#243 of 580 Old 07-11-2010, 02:24 PM

More JR, I forgot you were sick, too!

And yeah, Karen, dd gets clingy when she doesn't feel good. The past week, she's also stopped being interested in food and just wants milk. Nevermind it's the milk making her feel crummy

Time to go talk to dh about spreading out the die off, vs taking what we know and trying to survive a VERY intense healing period to just get it done with. He woke up with a migraine this morning. Maybe he won't be too overly optimistic (I posted about my pine nut oil in the enzyme thread)

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#244 of 580 Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Do we have a place to categorize medicinal-level superfoods to watch out for? A place to list things like cilantro and pine nuts (as opposed to general nutritional superfoods like nettles and roe and CLO, etc)?

#245 of 580 Old 07-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post

Semi-quiet, my butt. The kids were OUTSIDE. What more do you want?!
For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, don't worry about it. For those of you who do... GRRRRRR.
Yeah- I saw that comment. LAME.

Quote:
Frankly, though, he keeps bringing up moving/buying a new house. Mostly bc of the issues with them. How screwed up is that?!
What? What about all the money you put into that house?!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#246 of 580 Old 07-11-2010, 06:27 PM

Well, DH wasn't gone long, I guess. DS1 was playing with all the knobs in the front of the car, driving DH crazy, so he brought them home. So, then DS3 came to the bedroom and was playing with his little baby gym. Then he realized I was in the bed, so he came to the bed and started crying. So he came to bed with me. And we slept for a long time. Like, about 3 hours. I lazed around in the bed for a while after waking up (I can't remember the last time I did that... Kinda sucks that I'm sick but I enjoyed it nonetheless). Still feeling yucky. Tried to eat but couldn't eat much. Yadda yadda. I'm tired now but not sleepy. I want to lay down again. Kind of funny since I was just thinking the other day that it's been quite a while since I was actually really and truly sick. I've had colds here and there and stuff but no fevers and so forth. Guess I jinxed myself.
Boo hoo. Whine whine. I'm such a suck.

Shannon- no place that I know of.

CS- Yes. Exactly. Thing is, we wouldn't be *selling* this house. If you remember, it doesn't belong just to DH.
Did I mention we painted the corner room? The one you slept in when you were here, Jessica. It's blue now. Looks nice. Will look nicer when it has a carpet.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#247 of 580 Old 07-11-2010, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Karen
DS used to be very clingy before we removed all his trigger foods. Wanted to be on someone's lap all the time. Didn't want me to leave when I tucked him in at night, kept calling me back in, etc. (and he was 8yo at the time). But the clinginess in this case was my DD2, who's sick at the moment, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Kathy, consider the wet sock treatment? No allergens. I haven't tried it, but it's supposed to help kick the immune system into higher gear. Or I've read garlic on the soles of the feet all night, haven't tried that either.
what's the wet sock treatment? As in, get socks wet and put them on her feet? Hmmm.... that would be interesting. It took me a while to think of that though. I kept trying to figure out why she'd like a wet sock on her head instead of a wet cloth, then I finally realized you probably meant to stick them on her feet. duh.

I'm going out to dinner tonight with my mother watching G. Her temp is back up to 103. And now she's coughing. Called the ped last night when her temp got to 104.5 and he said maybe roseola. So who knows. My father yelled at me on FB because he said I shouldn't be asking my friends how to cool down my child. I should be taking her directly to the ER - and what was I thinking. Grrr.

And JR, grrrr for you. At least if you moved, you could rent out your portion of the house, right?

My older two kids are off to MIL's house for a week at Granny Camp.

Oh, and from the cross contamination of spoons last night for dinner? No reactions from anyone. So either the boiling water somehow helped or something.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#248 of 580 Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
what's the wet sock treatment? As in, get socks wet and put them on her feet? Hmmm.... that would be interesting. It took me a while to think of that though. I kept trying to figure out why she'd like a wet sock on her head instead of a wet cloth, then I finally realized you probably meant to stick them on her feet. duh.

I'm going out to dinner tonight with my mother watching G. Her temp is back up to 103. And now she's coughing. Called the ped last night when her temp got to 104.5 and he said maybe roseola. So who knows. My father yelled at me on FB because he said I shouldn't be asking my friends how to cool down my child. I should be taking her directly to the ER - and what was I thinking. Grrr.

And JR, grrrr for you. At least if you moved, you could rent out your portion of the house, right?

My older two kids are off to MIL's house for a week at Granny Camp.
Yes, get wet socks and put them on her feet. The skin on the top of your feet is pretty thin and it cools your blood.

Glad you get out but to your dad.

Sure, we could rent it out. But it wouldn't actually benefit us in any way. The rent would be going directly to the mortgage.

Hope you enjoy your "time off" though I know you will miss them.

#249 of 580 Old 07-11-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:

what's the wet sock treatment? As in, get socks wet and put them on her feet? Hmmm.... that would be interesting.
This is how my ND said to do it. Give LO a warm bath immediately following put wet cotton socks on then cover them with dry wool socks preferably then go to bed! It really worked well for DD when she was not feeling well. I hope it may help
#250 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 12:35 AM

More for JR.

I can't wait till the kids are big enough that we can go out to eat someplace nice - with them or without!

Today at the farmers market, dd decided to try a bite of normal chocolate chip cookie - so gluten and soy. And then we went to an arts and crafts faire, and she got some questionably safe cotton candy, complete with blue dye and artificial flavoring. Now, shes asleep without a fuss almost an hour before normal bedtime. for a calm night. She got an Epsom salt bath, hopefully the mag from that will stop any bedwetting, and the sulfate will detox the cotton candy? I think soy's one of *my* biggest triggers... And its not like we were close to baseline before... Okay, maybe we were getting close. Who knows. I think I believe in outgrowing reactions. Not to be confused with outgrowing sensitivities!

And just a for having a place to hang out here

#251 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 PM

So, despite drinking water like it was going out of style yesterday (and even alternating with some electrolyte-style drinks), I think I'm mildly dehydrated today. I have a HUGE headache. Meh.
Hoping the night went well for you, Shannon.

#252 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:

So, despite drinking water like it was going out of style yesterday (and even alternating with some electrolyte-style drinks), I think I'm mildly dehydrated today. I have a HUGE headache. Meh.
Hoping the night went well for you, Shannon.
I feel like all I do is drink water and eat potassium yet I don't think I've been fully hydrated more than once since ds was born.

Let's see... First wake up was way earlier than normal, and she told me it was almost dark, the fireworks were about to start. Second wake up, whe wet the bed, then got out on her own, no crying(!!) to come get me. Third wake up, she freaked thtat ds was nursing, cried for a while (this is usually every wake up) then finally got her turn, completely woke up, and got a snack and watched a movie with dh. Last 'wake up' was about 5:45 when she got upset that the sun was up, and wanted a book and milk to fall asleep. If I'd have read the book, I'd have been up for the day. So with tears, she just got milk, and now she's still out. I'm actually not complaining, cause that's not too many wake ups for her lately, and I got to sleep in till 8

Gotta figure out how to get vit c and clay into her...

#253 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 01:48 PM

I really REALLY want cornmeal muffins. I would like them with Cheez Whiz (gross, I know, but it's how my mom always gave them to us when I was little). However, I will settle for just cornmeal muffins. Gonna try later, I think.

#254 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 PM

JR - ewwwww

So when is a behavior issue a behavior issues and when is it a food issue? How do you tell? Is a child high needs or difficult because they just are or because there is something else going on? a lot of stuff i see you all discussing - I would love to know how you determine the cause? Because there are some stuff in my toddler that I wonder about.

Karen
#255 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
JR - ewwwww

So when is a behavior issue a behavior issues and when is it a food issue? How do you tell? Is a child high needs or difficult because they just are or because there is something else going on? a lot of stuff i see you all discussing - I would love to know how you determine the cause? Because there are some stuff in my toddler that I wonder about.

Karen
Wish I knew.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#256 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Karen
For us, we realized it when we took out foods for reasons other than behaviour but then noticed a return or increase of those behaviours if we somehow slipped. ie) red food dyes correlated with the unswerving belief that DS1 could fly (and there is just no smiley to describe my absolute horror/terror with this behaviour)

In what little defense I have, I believe the Canadian Cheez Whiz is somehow different from the American. It's still processed cheez food crap, but it's not quite the same as the stuff here.

#257 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I really REALLY want cornmeal muffins. I would like them with Cheez Whiz (gross, I know, but it's how my mom always gave them to us when I was little). However, I will settle for just cornmeal muffins. Gonna try later, I think.
omg- that sounds disgusting. But I do love Cheez Whiz (at least the last time I had it) and I love corn muffins.... so maybe it is delicious after all!

Quote:
JR - ewwwww

Karen
Ugh. Such a hard question. Sometimes with DD it's really obvious- like she'll switch from night and day- calm baby to demon child, and then the other symptoms will follow (disrupted sleep, bad poops, whatever.) But sometimes, she's just really wired and I don't know if it's a minor food chemical reaction or just her being 2yo.

Well, it's official. bfp.

#258 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
JR - ewwwww

Karen
I guess we were lucky that we had eczema to deal with b/c the skin revealed so much that was correlated with behavior (and sleeping and loose stool and pee problems).

There was a few instances of seriously freaky behavior (when eating food at playgroups that I would not give him at home. In restrospect after understanding his salicylate issues (Feingold & FAILSAFE diets) it was probably the preservatives etc. in conventional bread and ham/bologna sandwiches. He couldn't nap at all even though exhausted and would whip his head from side to side on those afternoons.

He also had several ASD sx from being constipated... the type of constipation that was caused by loose stool not being able to come out instead of really hard stool. Toe walking that sort of thing. Went away and came back only when constipated.

I was reading alot at the time and just lucky to stumble across the connections that got me thinking food sensitivities. And then not until we did rotation/elimination diets for a couple years that I came across the information on food chemical intolerance and that really put it all together. When I had no idea it was just one long cycle of difficult baby. Not fun.
#259 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
omg- that sounds disgusting. But I do love Cheez Whiz (at least the last time I had it) and I love corn muffins.... so maybe it is delicious after all!

Makes me think that Cheez Whiz on corn meal muffins should've been in my "weird comfort foods" thread.

And CONGRATS!!!

#260 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:

as usual, I have no idea what this stands for. but I'm assuming it's a good thing.

Even before going dairy free, I had what DH calls "cheese rules" - I liked pizza, mac & cheese, lasagna, eggplant parmesan grinder, but that and grilled cheese were the only sandwiches I could have cheese on. If it was a regular sandwich and non-melted cheese. blech. and cheese whiz? I've never even thought about trying that. ewww. just ewww... though I'll have to say that I have some weird comfort foods too.

I still can't figure out this rash. Now it's on my ankle and I haven't used the sunscreen in 3 days. So could it be the all natural bug spray I've been using (rosemary and some other things) or my liquid soap (some Olay product)? When I came home today, the first thing I did was take a shower with my old safe soap to see if it was the soap at the lake. I wish I could figure it out. It's itchy.

And I left DD2 with my mother today. With a bag full of food, safe/unsafe foods list, etc. along with the one dose of safe Tylenol I have left if her fever spikes again. I tested her urine and it was high ketones (but that would make sense with the fever) and white blood cells, which DH says could just be general fighting off something, but I think could be a UTI, though she doesn't have nitrites. He thinks roseola still. I really don't like leaving her like that, but worrying about her is keeping me from worrying about me, so I guess it's a good thing.

Had another fabulous dinner out last night, completely safe - and some great food combos (and tried things I would never have thought in a million years - like mussels). I want to live at this restaurant and just have them cook safe food for me.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#261 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 PM

bfp = big fat positive....

ON A PREGNANCY TEST!!!!

I had cheese rules too. 1)cheese is yummy 2)cheese makes EVERYthing better 3)no bleu cheese- except roquefort

#262 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Congrats!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#263 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
as usual, I have no idea what this stands for. but I'm assuming it's a good thing.

Even before going dairy free, I had what DH calls "cheese rules" - I liked pizza, mac & cheese, lasagna, eggplant parmesan grinder, but that and grilled cheese were the only sandwiches I could have cheese on. If it was a regular sandwich and non-melted cheese. blech. and cheese whiz? I've never even thought about trying that. ewww. just ewww... though I'll have to say that I have some weird comfort foods too.

I still can't figure out this rash. Now it's on my ankle and I haven't used the sunscreen in 3 days. So could it be the all natural bug spray I've been using (rosemary and some other things) or my liquid soap (some Olay product)? When I came home today, the first thing I did was take a shower with my old safe soap to see if it was the soap at the lake. I wish I could figure it out. It's itchy.

And I left DD2 with my mother today. With a bag full of food, safe/unsafe foods list, etc. along with the one dose of safe Tylenol I have left if her fever spikes again. I tested her urine and it was high ketones (but that would make sense with the fever) and white blood cells, which DH says could just be general fighting off something, but I think could be a UTI, though she doesn't have nitrites. He thinks roseola still. I really don't like leaving her like that, but worrying about her is keeping me from worrying about me, so I guess it's a good thing.

Had another fabulous dinner out last night, completely safe - and some great food combos (and tried things I would never have thought in a million years - like mussels). I want to live at this restaurant and just have them cook safe food for me.
Sucks about DD2. Sorry to hear you had to leave her. DS came down with a fever yesterday and that's about his only symptom. High fever but he's still running around and stuff. still eating & drinking. Had a decent poop. I'm wondering if he might have a UTI. Will call ped in the AM if he's not better.

Congrats on the rest. On the way back from our vacation we stopped in kittery and there is a rest. there that is developing a GF menu. They had GF burger buns & a dedicated fryer.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#264 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 07:08 PM

eta: all I can say is yikes, I've had this window open forever. probably missed a lot.

Kathy, the restaurant sounds great. Wish I could help with ideas for the rash, I just don't have ideas.

Quote:
JR - ewwwww

Karen
I tend to be skeptical of the label high needs, or highly sensitive. Obviously all kids aren't the same and I don't think we should expect them to be, but when one kid is having a really rough time just getting through life, doing stuff that's pretty basic, then I think oftentimes, there's a physical reason why it's more difficult for them (and thus they have behavior that's difficult for those around them to deal with). I've only seen changes in retrospect though--DD's tantrums/whininess, not 100% gone, but much improved when I tweaked something 2 years ago, and coming back less and less over time.

Given the continuing reactions you're seeing in Scout, I'd expect behavior stuff to be involved too.

Another way--if you try the usual behavior modification stuff that people recommend, and it consistently doesn't work for you, I think that's a big hint that there's a physical, underlying cause. Stuff like sleep and tantrums/overreactions--I didn't see improvement til I changed physical things, I tend to not have much faith that behavior approaches for that type of stuff actually help.

Quote:

Wow, congratulations! It's another baby boom (our HS group is also having another baby boom wave, babies are EVERYWHERE... well, on the way everywhere).

Kathy--Big F---ing Positive (for a home pregnancy test) ... eta2: wrong f word from me! whoops.
#265 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 07:34 PM

JR - you just gave me a freakin big heart attack. I always just load the last page and there you are my hg sister sick and having bfp on your post. I was stunned. and then I realized you were just explaining to someone else what bfp meant. Whew.

But yeah for changing seasons (insert happy joyous smiley here multiple times).

Tanya - so do you think the fact that she just kind of always runs around and never sits is something. I kind of think it is to mask the pain. That is my ongoing theory. But it could be a hyperactivity thing.

Karen
#266 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 08:18 PM

Thanks guys.

Tanya- I used that same f in my abbreviation.

#267 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
JR - you just gave me a freakin big heart attack. I always just load the last page and there you are my hg sister sick and having bfp on your post. I was stunned. and then I realized you were just explaining to someone else what bfp meant. Whew.

But yeah for changing seasons (insert happy joyous smiley here multiple times).

Karen
Sorry, hon! Thank you for worrying about me though! Thankfully what I've got is NOT a puking illness or I'd truly be a HUGE suck right now.

I use the same F in my abbreviation but you know... That F does not exist on MDC.
I also use the British Bloody for the B though.

#268 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM

So DS is still pretty hot. I am going to call the ped. tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, at what temp do you folks medicate? We don't usually medicate but DS never seems this hot and everywhere I read, folks say to medicate after 102.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#269 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Tanya- I used that same f in my abbreviation.
Congrats!!!! do you know how far along you are? I'm around 4 weeks I *think* I have super irregular cycles.
#270 of 580 Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
So DS is still pretty hot. I am going to call the ped. tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, at what temp do you folks medicate? We don't usually medicate but DS never seems this hot and everywhere I read, folks say to medicate after 102.
We've never had to, because DD's never had a fever. (I know that seems weird to put a sad face there, but I'm sure you guys get me.) I wish I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Congrats!!!! do you know how far along you are? I'm around 4 weeks I *think* I have super irregular cycles.
I'm exactly 4 weeks today!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page