Mothering Forum banner

Juicy July Chat in the Allergy Forum

23K views 579 replies 22 participants last post by  dannic 
#1 ·
Join us for updates on our trials, tribulations and joys as we Celebrate Juicy July with watermelon and tomatoes and wild berries.

So bring your questions, problems, celebrations and general amazing-ness here.

Pat

See less See more
#3 ·
Alrighty!

I need a recepie for GF bread. I had found a wonderful mix by BREADS BY ANNA, but can no longer use it because it mas Millet in it and millet is a no no for DS now. So I guess Ill be making from scratch. The bread needs to be the following:

egg free
gluten free
yeast free
Tapioca free
millet free
white potato free

and I do not have a bread maker!

Any suggestions/recepies would be welcome!!!

#7 ·
Ugh. DD just drank her watercolor paint water. Wonder what kind of reaction she'll have to that?
On the plus side, this is the first time she has painted except for finger paints as a baby (which she was not impressed with), and she is really digging it.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Ugh. DD just drank her watercolor paint water. Wonder what kind of reaction she'll have to that?
On the plus side, this is the first time she has painted except for finger paints as a baby (which she was not impressed with), and she is really digging it.

dd has been saying for the past few weeks "remember, yesterday, when I drank the paint water?" and we have NO CLUE what she's stalking about...

#10 ·
DD and DH's b-day's today. Cora is 4 and hubster is 33! Going to have coconut milk ice cream banana splits this weekend!
Getting prepped for a two week trip home next Friday. I want to take a cooler full of meat w/dry ice so I don't have to eat grocery store meat. Also want to make some sprouted buckwheat granola to take.
Hope everyone is enjoying summer!

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by deditus View Post
DD and DH's b-day's today. Cora is 4 and hubster is 33! Going to have coconut milk ice cream banana splits this weekend!
Getting prepped for a two week trip home next Friday. I want to take a cooler full of meat w/dry ice so I don't have to eat grocery store meat. Also want to make some sprouted buckwheat granola to take.
Hope everyone is enjoying summer!
Happy Birthdays!

so much to do to prep for camping, but I'm tired. need to chill a little

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
dd has been saying for the past few weeks "remember, yesterday, when I drank the paint water?" and we have NO CLUE what she's stalking about...
That's hilarious!

Happy birthdays!

M2S- yes, take it easy. Camping is a lot of work- before and after. It never seemed like this much work when I was single and childless...
But man, our recent camping trip just wiped me out!

#13 ·
JR, I didn't know you'd actually posted it...I've been experimenting with almond flour lately because it's is so much more forgiving than reg gf baking (at least for me...). I'll check yours out. Wonder if I have everything?

I spent way too much money grocery shopping, too. I was giving in to my cravings.

I love camping! I don't want to go pregnant tho. Too much work, too tiring. Drink lots of water. (Oh, and I hate outhouses as it is...but pregnant? EW)

ETA: I don't have sorghum flour, JR...

#14 ·
I am so weepy tired. Is this normal? I'm 6.5 months preg. I wake up feeling fine, emotions and energy. With a normal day of mental and med low physical, by 4 I am wiped.
I have so much more packing and cooking to do, plus a work deadline that has been pushed up because of the trip. I tried to load the dishwasher but the roller isn't working. I just burst into tears and now I'm lying down, totally stressed. I know the crying is pregnancy but is everything else normal? I don't have the mental energy.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
Alrighty!

I need a recepie for GF bread. I had found a wonderful mix by BREADS BY ANNA, but can no longer use it because it mas Millet in it and millet is a no no for DS now. So I guess Ill be making from scratch. The bread needs to be the following:

egg free
gluten free
yeast free
Tapioca free
millet free
white potato free

and I do not have a bread maker!

Any suggestions/recepies would be welcome!!!
www.buckwheatpete.com has breads. I use... wait... they all use tapioca... but wait again... I've used sweet potato in its place when I ran out of tapioca, and it worked. It's light buckwheat, tapioca, water, salt, and honey (I use maple syrup). I use the pita recipe as my pizza crust. His are all yeast free I think.

Also... what was the other question... brownies... the recipe I have has eggs in it... I used to have one that DS could do as well, but I'm pretty sure that one had almond flour in it, and I haven't done that one since we pulled almond from DS. I can look that one up if you want.

Okay... weirdness. What else is new? I used to get what I think is menstrual migraines (first day of period, killed me, nothing helped, sensitive to light, movement, etc.) before I went on the eliminations. Then went away. The last few months I've been getting headaches again on the first day of my period, but they're weird. Like today, woke up completely congested, sinusy. An hour later got my period. Nothing helped except benadryl. And it's like a sinus headache just for that day. And then it goes away. Can your period somehow make your allergies worse or something?

I got the Namaste pizza crust today at a HFS in VT. Has anyone tried it? I have to go to Whole Foods and stock up on a few things when I go back to CT tomorrow for doctor. We've been going through the Coconut Aminos "soy sauce" like water on things. I hope it's good for us (or at least not bad for us).

JR - I'm glad you got out.

Carren - did you end up going to the doctor today with the kids in tow?

#16 ·
Wow CS. Totally funny about the paints.

M2S - sorry about the exhaustion. I think its probably totally normal. It sounds like you are trying to do a lot physically, in addition to managing your children's issues. Pretty sure that hormones fluctuate a lot during pregnancy so that could account for the weepiness. I know that by the end of the day when I was pregnant all I could do was sit in a chair and vegetate.

Kathy - Yes, I did end up going. My mother came, which is often like having 3 children, instead of 2. And the doctor was running late and the appointment ran late so we ended up in a lot of traffic and then we stopped on the way home to pick up our meat CSA and they had forgotten to bring it to the dropoff point. It was a very long day.

And I have to say that I'm a little freaked out by some of the stuff the doctor was saying, but I'll go an update my thread for that one.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I am so weepy tired. Is this normal? I'm 6.5 months preg. I wake up feeling fine, emotions and energy. With a normal day of mental and med low physical, by 4 I am wiped.
I have so much more packing and cooking to do, plus a work deadline that has been pushed up because of the trip. I tried to load the dishwasher but the roller isn't working. I just burst into tears and now I'm lying down, totally stressed. I know the crying is pregnancy but is everything else normal? I don't have the mental energy.
Adrenals. This is me on stress off adrenal supps. I use MW approved Nutri West DSF Formula--er, that's MY mw, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
www.buckwheatpete.com has breads. I use... wait... they all use tapioca... but wait again... I've used sweet potato in its place when I ran out of tapioca, and it worked. It's light buckwheat, tapioca, water, salt, and honey (I use maple syrup). I use the pita recipe as my pizza crust. His are all yeast free I think.

Also... what was the other question... brownies... the recipe I have has eggs in it... I used to have one that DS could do as well, but I'm pretty sure that one had almond flour in it, and I haven't done that one since we pulled almond from DS. I can look that one up if you want.
tow?
Yes, please?

#18 ·
Quote:

Okay... weirdness. What else is new? I used to get what I think is menstrual migraines (first day of period, killed me, nothing helped, sensitive to light, movement, etc.) before I went on the eliminations. Then went away. The last few months I've been getting headaches again on the first day of my period, but they're weird. Like today, woke up completely congested, sinusy. An hour later got my period. Nothing helped except benadryl. And it's like a sinus headache just for that day. And then it goes away. Can your period somehow make your allergies worse or something?
I think it is the drop in progesterone. It can exacerbate allergies.

#19 ·
Glad you were still able to make the trip, Chlobo.

So Kathy, I went to get on your site and I got an attack warning from google--something about spyware and viruses coming through your site...I was worried that maybe your site is down or being used to pass something on? Or it could just be nothing...but I'm no computer expert so I'm waiting for DH to come home, since he is, lol...

#20 ·
Quote:

I got the Namaste pizza crust today at a HFS in VT. Has anyone tried it? I have to go to Whole Foods and stock up on a few things when I go back to CT tomorrow for doctor. We've been going through the Coconut Aminos "soy sauce" like water on things. I hope it's good for us (or at least not bad for us).

JR - I'm glad you got out.

Carren - did you end up going to the doctor today with the kids in tow?
I will check out the breads thanks...I have looked in multiple stores for sweet poatoe flour and can'rt find it...I see regular potato flour but this is not it is it? That's white potato flour right?? Where do you buy yours??

My sinuses are always worse right before and in the beginning of my period...weird!

#22 ·
ok, so among the gems of wisdom i heard today (paraphrased since i didn't take notes):
on vax:
"Unvaccinated children are causing all of the vaccinated kids to catch measles, mumps and rubella and die.... Do you WANT your kid to get REALLY sick with measles?"
then a little later
"well, vaccines aren't as effective as we thought they were so now we're asking people to get a 2nd dose"
"you'll have to get them for school.. your child has had them before so you can't try to tell me that you have religious opposition to it"

on refusing fluoride:
"it's a necessary nutrient for their teeth to grow"

on our diet:
"you need to stop feeding him processed foods."
(upon hearing that we don't use processed foods due to allergy/intolerance issues and listing restrictions)
"well, he has to be vitamin deficient then. there's nothing left for you to eat if you take out all of that"

about ds2's hair being long (!!! really??):
"well, it needs to be cut. you shouldn't let "superstition" get in the way of caring for your child"

regarding his behaviour in her office (got bored and wanted to leave and exhibited natural shyness):
"he should be in daycare. he needs to be socialized. he needs the structure and discipline daycare will provide. you obviously can't do it since you have another little one"

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
ok, so among the gems of wisdom i heard today (paraphrased since i didn't take notes):
on vax:
"Unvaccinated children are causing all of the vaccinated kids to catch measles, mumps and rubella and die.... Do you WANT your kid to get REALLY sick with measles?"
then a little later
"well, vaccines aren't as effective as we thought they were so now we're asking people to get a 2nd dose"
"you'll have to get them for school.. your child has had them before so you can't try to tell me that you have religious opposition to it"

on refusing fluoride:
"it's a necessary nutrient for their teeth to grow"

on our diet:
"you need to stop feeding him processed foods."
(upon hearing that we don't use processed foods due to allergy/intolerance issues and listing restrictions)
"well, he has to be vitamin deficient then. there's nothing left for you to eat if you take out all of that"

about ds2's hair being long (!!! really??):
"well, it needs to be cut. you shouldn't let "superstition" get in the way of caring for your child"

regarding his behaviour in her office (got bored and wanted to leave and exhibited natural shyness):
"he should be in daycare. he needs to be socialized. he needs the structure and discipline daycare will provide. you obviously can't do it since you have another little one"

WTF does she care what your kid's hair looks like?! Did you tell her maybe she should mind her own business and just do her job?
Arg.

#24 ·
Woah, JR, that's nuts! I don't think I'd be ever going back. Are you laughing at the ridiculousness yet?

Dd's stopped sleeping. And is being totally sweet and endearing about it, at least at night. Not sure what changed. When I think about it, I'm not sure what got her to a good spot in the first place, though.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
WTF does she care what your kid's hair looks like?! Did you tell her maybe she should mind her own business and just do her job?
Arg.
No, I just looked at her with wide eyes and said "Uh huh... Uh.huh.... Uhhh.... uh HUH." I mean, she has said and done some appalling things in the past (this is the doctor I transferred from for myself but was told I couldn't transfer DS2) but.... really? I mean, just.... REALLY??!
The kind of humourous part of this is that my present doctor, when I mentioned that I had an appointment with this doctor for a WCV, said "Really?
Ookay. Have fun with that."

I'm sort of laughing at it, but at the same time I'm still pretty annoyed.

#26 ·
That is really annoying.

What a night here... DD just could not go to sleep- it took over an hour, with lots of screaming and crying.

And just before bedtime we had some guy knock on our door with a spray bottle of something... he was talking really fast, and said "don't worry, I'm not selling magazine subscriptions. I've already talked to all your neighbors- John, Bob, Lisa- You know them, right?" (I don't remember the actual names he used, but they certainly weren't any of our neighbors!) The whole thing was weird, DP ended up shutting the door in the guys face. I was about to yell at DP to shut the door (I was standing in the hallway, listening), because I was getting a BAAAAD vibe from this dude. I followed the guy 2 blocks down the road after he left our house, and he didn't stop at ANY other houses. Then looked on our community Google group, and someone posted that they had a different really aggressive salesperson at their house earlier, and it's a really shady company selling Wonder Cleaner or something like that... but there are a bunch of articles talking about the company and how their reps have been arrested for selling drugs, theft, rape, and more. So now I'm all paranoid that this guy was casing the neighborhood and our house is going to get broken into tonight or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.