Wheat-free, Rice-free bread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Absolutely every wheat-free product or recipe that I have found contains rice, soy, dairy, or nuts. Has anybody discovered how to make something that at least resembles bread without using any of those things?

I tried all-rye sourdough bread, and it was so bad that even the chickens wouldn't eat it. I tried cornmeal, and ended up with a pan full of crumbs. We are growing very tired of plain Ryvita and buckwheat pancakes. DD burns up a LOT of energy in the course of a day, and I would like to find some way to get more grain products into her.
-ML
#2 of 12 Old 07-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My recipe doesn't have rice since DS couldn't have rice for a year and a half. He just got it back on rotation. Hopefully my brother fixed my blog and it's operational. I use water instead of almond milk (after I had to take almonds out of his diet).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 12 Old 07-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Are you gluten free or just wheat free? Can your DD tolerate spelt? If so, then you can sub spelt in any recipe calling for wheat. If not, then you're unlikely to find any ready-made GF products but recipes can be adapted.

What flours CAN you use? Quinoa? Arrowroot? Potato flour or starch? Can you use any gums (such as xanthan or guar gum)? For an "all purpose flour substitute", I use 3/4 cup flour (rice or quinoa or whatever you can use), 1/4 cup starch (potato starch, corn starch, or arrowroot), and 1/2 tsp gum. For cakes you can use less (or no) gum, (and more starch/less flour), for breads you can use up to a full tsp per cup of flour.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#4 of 12 Old 07-06-2010, 05:47 PM

I feel your pain, we can't do wheat or rice over here either and all of the gluten free stuff has rice in it. There are also bean flours that you could use. I have a yummy yummy black bean cake and black bean brownie recipe that is flour free completely. It does have a ton of eggs in it though so if you can't do eggs then that would be totally out. if you're interested, I can put the link in here to the website where I found them. There's lots of cake, cupcake/muffin recipes on there that are gluten free and alot of them are flour free.

I'll second the suggestion of spelt if you can do gluten, but just not wheat. I've made a ton of dairy, soy, egg, rice free baked goods using spelt and they always turn out yummy.

You could also try coconut flour combined with other types of safe flours.
#5 of 12 Old 07-06-2010, 05:52 PM

My mom was telling me about garbanzo bean flour - not sure if it would make a decent bread, though. I've been using almond flour for pancakes, muffins, and crackers - but I don't know that it would make sandwich bread.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 12 Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesp1212 View Post
I have a yummy yummy black bean cake and black bean brownie recipe that is flour free completely. It does have a ton of eggs in it though so if you can't do eggs then that would be totally out. if you're interested, I can put the link in here to the website where I found them. There's lots of cake, cupcake/muffin recipes on there that are gluten free and alot of them are flour free.
I'm not the OP, but I would love to see the link if you don't mind sharing!
#7 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For me, chickpea flour tastes to bean-y for bread but it makes fantastic veggie fritters! I didn't like any of the bean flour combinations either gar-fava, etc.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#8 of 12 Old 07-13-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the replies. There is so much I don't know about food and how it can affect people! I had wondered what the guar gum in the 'free-from' section of the supermarket was for... I guess I need to do some more experimenting.

The garbanzo bean (chick pea, gram) flour does taste beany to me, though it is in a lot of Indian sweet dishes. I have used it added to plain flour to give an exotic taste to reduced-sugar cakes for my diabetic father, but the effect is not quite the same with rye or buckwheat flours.

My daughter is okay with gluten, but I thought that spelt, being a form of wheat, might be risky with a wheat allergy, so I have not treid it. My understanding was that people who have developed an intolerance to gluten from eating store-bought bread made from wheat bred to have unnaturally high levels of gluten, which then has more gluten added to make it fluffy, can eat spelt because of the low gluten content, but that if a baby has an allergy (ie. has not had opportunity or cause to develop intolerance), then all forms of wheat and its close relatives are suspect.

Though my understanding of what constitutes allergy or intolerence is pretty sketchy. I have bought Doris Rapp's book, but have yet to read it, and the pediatrician was not willing to give me any advice unless we consented to have our still-nursing two-year-old admitted overnight for clinical food challenges, onefood at a time. We figured the fact that certain foods consistently make her ill was enough evidence for us not to feed them to her, with or without a diagnosis.

I do have one wonderful chocolate cake recipe (for occasional use as I'm not so sure of chocolate) using sweet potato and beet, and I'd love to try more similar ones.

-ML
#9 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 04:37 PM

My organic market just got a new prouct.... Certified GF OAT flour! If oats don't bother you I would say try it I made some hamburger buns that were so good with oat flour! It's made by Bob's red mill, maybe you can order it online if your local health food store doesn't carry it.

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#10 of 12 Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 AM

Try smartflourfoods.com 

#11 of 12 Old 10-02-2012, 11:52 AM

I use the bread recipe from glutenfreegoddess with an egg substitute. (Not that I've tried a ton, but it is decent.) We're not rice-free but it doesn't have rice in it. http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/02/delicious-gluten-free-bread.html. I also use gluten free oats, and you can make no-bake cookies or fruit-crisp with that.

#12 of 12 Old 10-17-2012, 11:57 PM

Millet flour makes a good base flour and has a mild taste that goes well in many things. Teff flour is great for adding flavour and nutrients.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page