Two-year old dropping pounds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2010, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't know if it's related to increased activity, recent cold, or a sign that his digestion is continuing to be impaired... but my little boy has lost a few pounds in the last month- and it's got me worried. He no longer has that chubby look to his belly/legs, and his pants are bigger. I feel so emotional about it lately that any attempt to analyze w/rational thought is fleeting. So here I am. I think I need help thinking through this...

History--
Noticed sensitivity to dairy shortly after born (w/GI symptoms, eczema, and not sleeping well). We have been dairy-free since.

Within the last 4 months noticed reaction after eating too much gluten (GI issues), so we've nixed that too.

He's on cod liver oil, epsom salt baths, D3 drops.

We eat a whole food/traditional diet. Weaned himself at 14 months (I was so sad...). We drink water kefir.

He rarely EVER has a formed stool, they're always really soft. I still find large chunks of food in it (especially fruit skins & peanuts). And they mostly stink.... but he does eat alot of meat.

I've noticed when he is exposed to a food, his symptoms have changed from gas/diarrhea to off-the-wall craziness and extreme irritability (the mommas here tell me this is common). For instance, when we first started down this road to healing, he went through a few months of his poop being just--for no better word--acidic. His butt would be raw red afterwards and always had some ezcema underneath. The past few months his bum has looked beautiful and the eczema on his entire body is gone! Is this what they call die-off? The difference was amazing to me.

Also... not sure if this is related at all-- He just turned two, but he doesn't speak in sentences yet. He talks gibberish most of the time, but we can make out a several words. Pretty sure he's got a tongue-tie, but not sure what to do about that (have heard pros & cons of doing surgery). Compared to his much older brothers, he's definitely behind in talking. I know this can be normal, though...?

I'm ready to take the next step and ramp up a plan here.... just not sure where to start.

Melissa, wife to the one my heart loves, and SAHM to three crazy boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 PM

I'd work on nutrients and digestion. If he's not digesting well, try enzymes - a bunch of us are trying pancreatic enzymes lately, with very nice results, but you could also try regular digestive enzymes. Also try supplementing zinc - zinc deficiency can create low stomach acid, which can result in digestion issues and trouble absorbing all kinds of nutrients, even if you are eating really well.

Both my kids gained weight on the Yasko pancreatic enzymes - DS gained 4lbs in a month, DD gained 2 (and she's my kid "without issues"). DS had huge die off symptoms starting them, so if you do it, go slow!! (Go read the pancreatic enzymes thread and Yasko genetics thread for more details).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 07-14-2010, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, and sharing your wisdom. I am going to check out that thread tonight!

Melissa, wife to the one my heart loves, and SAHM to three crazy boys

User Tag List