Is a yogurt maker worth it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've tried 3x to make coconut milk yogurt. Major fail all 3 times. I used store bought coconut yogurt as a starter because I really didn't want to shell out $$$$ for a nearly everything-free starter. I used someone's instructions on here (kathy's maybe?) but no dice. The tapioca starch definitely got it thick, but it was not yogurt.

Anyway, I am on the fence about either ordering some starter and trying it again, or buying a yogurt maker.

So here's the deal. If I get a yogurt maker, try again and have another epic yogurt fail (and thus order the starter for next time) will I still be glad to have the yogurt maker? Is it worth it?
#2 of 7 Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 PM

I want to know too. Except we can't have coconut milk. We tried with soy. I'd also like to know what kind of yogurt maker you have and why you like it.
#3 of 7 Old 07-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine's a EuroCuisine (I think) and I like it. I've definitely gotten my money's worth from my yogurt maker. Though if we could just use store-bought coconut yogurt, I probably wouldn't bother, but they've all got other ingredients in them that we can't have. I've never tried it with soy milk since we can't have soy (or almond milk either). Though I do like the fact that I don't use much sugar in it so that it can be sweet or savory (like as a sour cream substitute, and for dips).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 7 Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 PM

I love mine. We made coconut yogurt (Kathy's recipe) weekly. Same coconut maker she has, I ordered it from GIPro Health along with the starter. WAY cheaper than the storebought coconut yogurt. I use it to make cow's milk yogurt now, although less regularly than before.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#5 of 7 Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Sounds like a worthy investment...and really, so does the starter. I might just do them both after all.
#6 of 7 Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Mine's a EuroCuisine (I think) and I like it. I've definitely gotten my money's worth from my yogurt maker. Though if we could just use store-bought coconut yogurt, I probably wouldn't bother, but they've all got other ingredients in them that we can't have. I've never tried it with soy milk since we can't have soy (or almond milk either). Though I do like the fact that I don't use much sugar in it so that it can be sweet or savory (like as a sour cream substitute, and for dips).
That does it! Kathy's got a EuroCuisine, and the EuroCuisine rave reviews has someone who uses the exact same soy milk I use. Sign me up! We've been using Silk soy yogurt, but the ingredient list is longer than I like.
#7 of 7 Old 07-15-2010, 06:57 PM

I have a YoGourmet yogurt maker and the dairy batches I have made with it have been excellent! I have yet to try a non-dairy type of yogurt but with the dairy I have added in a packet of knox gelatin to thicken it and let it ferment about twice as long as recommended.

I am interested in how almond milk or coconut milk turns out if somebody has successfully thickened it with gelatin as well. I am wanting to try that out so I can have yogurt again as well as my 2 year old son.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page