Already August on the Allergy forum?! (chat thread) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 687 Old 08-03-2010, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Okay, totally off the present topic and much more light, but...
We were supposed to have spaghetti tonight but I didn't want to deal with all of the dishes that entails (cutting up veggies, making sauce, 2 kinds of pasta, salad ). So, we're having sloppy joes. I can't recall exactly when we had them last so it's been a while. They smell SO good! Still having salad, but it saves me a couple of pots.
Um, what do you eat them on? Sounds good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
That's fascinating. I thought I had read somewhere that treating the thyroid before the adrenals causes other issues of its own. Do you think that's not the case?

I guess I'll call the doctor tomorrow. I'd love to have my thyroid more carefully looked at then the pcp did.
I know that treating my thyroid first is what majorly spiralled my adrenals last summer. ONce I got off the thyroid stuff, my adrenals started healing and I've been getting better ever since--and have no hypothyroid symptoms anyomre! (no more hair falling out, ect) And on an interesting note, while I am graying, some of the gray hairs are turning dark again at the roots! WOW! Wouldn't that be awesome to reverse THAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
My newfound ability to break electronic things continues. DH came in, suspicious look on his face, and said he wanted to have me tested. The light in his truck that indicates Drive (vs reverse or park or whatever) went out. It's an LED, he doesn't think it should've ever gone out. I drove his truck to the grocery store this afternoon. Now I'm going to be paranoid for weeks.
We had a period when all our cars kept getting flats...and then my washer broke, so used my mom's, hers broke, used grandma's, her's broke and then MIL's...my negative laundry vibes went rogue!

And not because I am actually certain about it, but just to throw it out there...the China Study claims to cure cancer and has a section on breast cancer...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#62 of 687 Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 PM

For the gluten eaters in the house, we use regular hamburger buns. For the gluten-free members, we use store bought gluten free buns (rice based, iirc). In practice, this means that DS1 gets a gluten free bun while everyone else gets regular ones. They come in a 4-pack, which I freeze after opening then warm them individually (wrap in foil wrap and place them in the steamer of my rice maker).
Alternatively, when we have no buns, we just serve over rice. Not as good, but it works. Sometimes DS1 prefers it this way.
I've been considering getting some store bought tapioca hot dog buns to try out. I've heard they're pretty good. I've also heard of making gluten free hot dog buns in "twinkie" pans and hamburger buns in "muffin top" pans, fwiw.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#63 of 687 Old 08-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
For the gluten eaters in the house, we use regular hamburger buns. For the gluten-free members, we use store bought gluten free buns (rice based, iirc). In practice, this means that DS1 gets a gluten free bun while everyone else gets regular ones. They come in a 4-pack, which I freeze after opening then warm them individually (wrap in foil wrap and place them in the steamer of my rice maker).
Alternatively, when we have no buns, we just serve over rice. Not as good, but it works. Sometimes DS1 prefers it this way.
I've been considering getting some store bought tapioca hot dog buns to try out. I've heard they're pretty good. I've also heard of making gluten free hot dog buns in "twinkie" pans and hamburger buns in "muffin top" pans, fwiw.
The kinnikinnick ones are pretty good - rice/tapioca based. I've been making my flatbread (it's in the recipe thread) in mini springforms for buns. Dh and dd are big fans. I try to avoid the carbs

eta but they both have eggs

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#64 of 687 Old 08-03-2010, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
And not because I am actually certain about it, but just to throw it out there...the China Study claims to cure cancer and has a section on breast cancer...
I read the China Study and wasn't impressed with the flaws/holes in their theories. I mean, Paleo says the same thing and it's sort of the opposite of the China Study.

Quote:
Potatoes are supposedly one of the foods higher in iodine, so you might want to consider the iodine therapy at the link Shannon suggested. I'm not sure if you're aware that Japan has a breast cancer rate several times lower than North America's which has been theorized to be due to their increased iodine intake.
Just a thought.
I've been looking at the iodine thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I know I've probably missed a lot in the last couple weeks of dial-up, so you might have already talked about this. But what happens if you do nothing? Are they telling you that you definitely will get cancer at some point in the future? Is it a 90% chance? A 50% chance?

Have you read about the paleo-type diets in regard to cancer? (Again, sorry if this was already talked about.) Basically, no sugar means nothing to feed the cancer cells. I know that would be a BIG change to your current (delicious!) diet, but it seems much less drastic than some of your other choices.
50-50 chance. DH's aunt (cancer, double mastectomy last summer, chemo and radiation) has been seeing a nutritionist. She's off "processed" (white) sugar but still does other sugars. And she's been doing a lot of juicing.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#65 of 687 Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
50-50 chance. DH's aunt (cancer, double mastectomy last summer, chemo and radiation) has been seeing a nutritionist. She's off "processed" (white) sugar but still does other sugars. And she's been doing a lot of juicing.
I wish I could remember where it was... PB posted a YouTube link probably a year or two about a guy who cured his cancer. I think it was nutritionally based, but I could be wrong. Maybe I will do some searching for you, if you are interested.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#66 of 687 Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 PM

I'm really behind, just saying hi til after the kids are in bed. DD is hot/tired/cranky/stomachache-y, it's 6pm and I haven't started dinner (still finishing making snack for the kids!) and I have a pile of un-washed dishes. Good playgroup, lots of fun play, but I feel really behind. And I need a portable lunch for tomorrow and something to share on Thursday (plus probably extra for the kids to eat by themselves). A vacation would be nice... oh wait, just got back from one. Somehow I'm not as rested as I used to be.

Ok, snack for kids and me and DH, then a re-evaluation of our quick-dinner options.
#67 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 PM

I don't know WHAT happened, but the insanity is back. it's that I'm not ready for the megafoods b complex, cause switching back to thorne is easy. Everyone's nuts here today, in old familiar ways, only dh is the super stressed one and I'm maintaining (more) composure. My stomach hurts from the whining and screaming and demands for milk (dd) and crying refusals (overtired ds).

Folate all around?

#68 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Don't know but when you figure it out, send some over here.

DS is acting like demon spawn. He's making DD look like the "good" child. Scary.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#69 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 05:57 PM

Hope the insanity passes quickly for you guys.

We had a big reaction here the other night. We had an avocado after dinner, which I first suspected (even though we've been eating them once a week or so with no issues), but then I remembered I gave her ONE raspberry at the same time. Had a craving at the store that day, bought some, totally forgot that they were borderline positive on her last SPT. She woke up just after midnight just screaming that her stomach hurt.

Today we went to this new children's garden (it's really cool- they have veggies and herbs and flowers planted all over, and a water feature, and chickens and rabbits!) Anyway... also forgetting that DD's only positive enviro allergen was feathers, we went and played with the chickens for a while. We held them, petted them, she found a feather that had fallen out and carried it for a while... nothing. Totally fine! Maybe if this NAET stuff goes well, I can end up getting chickens after all.

#70 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 PM

So I checked with my father... his pool is non-chlorine... but not bromine based. It's COPPER based. And me, with my high copper. So what are the chances that the copper was just overloaded and it had nothing to do with my front flips?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#71 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
So I checked with my father... his pool is non-chlorine... but not bromine based. It's COPPER based. And me, with my high copper. So what are the chances that the copper was just overloaded and it had nothing to do with my front flips?
Copper pool solution? Never heard of that before.

Well your skin has a lot of surface area to absorb copper so its entirely possible. How are you feeling now?

BTW, what does the osteopath have to say about all this? Also, did you get DD2's results yet?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#72 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 06:28 PM

I vote copper.

Dd just cut off half her hair on one side. must. get. out. must.make.lunch.

eta: yay, chickens!

#73 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Copper pool solution? Never heard of that before.

Well your skin has a lot of surface area to absorb copper so its entirely possible. How are you feeling now?

BTW, what does the osteopath have to say about all this? Also, did you get DD2's results yet?
I haven't connected with the osteopath in over a month. He's supposed to be calling tonight when he's done with patients. It was a 3 day reaction - back spasms, insomnia, heels cracked, etc. If you do a search on copper ionization swimming pool there's lots of info about how good it is (vs. chlorine). Though actually it says that it's the copper that turnes blondes' hair green in pools, not chlorine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I vote copper.

Dd just cut off half her hair on one side. must. get. out. must.make.lunch.

eta: yay, chickens!
My DD2 has cut her hair a number of times (maybe 4-5). We keep hiding scissors and she keeps finding them (in fact, usually she's the only one who remembers where we hid them).

And my father says it would be impossible for me to absorb copper from pool water... He went to that system because my SIL is allergic to chlorine. But he says he won't go back to chlorine for me. Whatever.

#74 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 07:17 PM

So, I am bummed. Summer is apparently the busy season at the ophthalmologist's office (poor guy, whole summer is crazy booked like today! ugh, took more than an hour to actually see the doc)... but anyway, he says allergies. I see zero signs of allergies, except DS's vitC need is persistently high, and it had been going down earlier in the spring/summer, before he was rubbing his eyes. But--eye rubbing in WA and TX, no visible redness, no sneezing/coughing/sore throat--it really didn't seem like allergies to me.

The redness/allergy-looking part is apparently on the inside of his eyelid and you need to magnify to see it (he couldn't just show it to me), but he seemed sure. He seemed to check to see if Diego's eyes had gotten worse, but not better--but we talked a little more than last time, apparently far-sightedness getting worse is normal til age 8, then it typically gets better. I would still rather read more about it, rather than just the 10 minutes I had to ask him questions, but wow, overall, really bummed.

I wanted to avoid all this! That was the frickin' point (plus other benefits as well, of course). Ugh. He prescribed some drops (oh joy, drops in a 4-year old's eyes each morning) that had "no side effects" and basically he said they're risk-free (not the phrase "risk-free" but that was his meaning). I was polite and didn't laugh at him.

It would make sense it's an enviro allergy, right? Since it's eye irritation. Frustrating that I see this at the same time as lots of cognitive improvements. It wouldn't be one of the new supps, right? I added in a whole lot at the beginning of the summer.

I guess plan A is to read about this prescription and see if the drops DO make the itchiness go away. If so, then yeah, I'll be pretty sure it's an allergy, then I figure out where to go with this. Dangit.
#75 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Where is the head slapping smiley? My MIL switched to the salt water system--and I think THAT is the high copper one! This is my child with high copper symptoms...hmm...and then the public pool is hugely chlorine...(she's been there once).

I've been oiling her like crazy (essential oils, lol) and that seems to be helping. She actually saw a laundry basket of clothes and began FOLDING them. Much more mild mannered today too...poor kid, it must be miserable to feel so upset all the time (not that it''s been all the time; just all the time lately!)
Kathy, maybe you should stick with swimming in the lake?

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#76 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
And my father says it would be impossible for me to absorb copper from pool water... He went to that system because my SIL is allergic to chlorine. But he says he won't go back to chlorine for me. Whatever.
I'm just curious, why did he say it's impossible? It just makes sense that you could absorb it through the skin. But maybe I'm missing something.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#77 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
So, I am bummed. Summer is apparently the busy season at the ophthalmologist's office (poor guy, whole summer is crazy booked like today! ugh, took more than an hour to actually see the doc)... but anyway, he says allergies. I see zero signs of allergies, except DS's vitC need is persistently high, and it had been going down earlier in the spring/summer, before he was rubbing his eyes. But--eye rubbing in WA and TX, no visible redness, no sneezing/coughing/sore throat--it really didn't seem like allergies to me.

The redness/allergy-looking part is apparently on the inside of his eyelid and you need to magnify to see it (he couldn't just show it to me), but he seemed sure. He seemed to check to see if Diego's eyes had gotten worse, but not better--but we talked a little more than last time, apparently far-sightedness getting worse is normal til age 8, then it typically gets better. I would still rather read more about it, rather than just the 10 minutes I had to ask him questions, but wow, overall, really bummed.

I wanted to avoid all this! That was the frickin' point (plus other benefits as well, of course). Ugh. He prescribed some drops (oh joy, drops in a 4-year old's eyes each morning) that had "no side effects" and basically he said they're risk-free (not the phrase "risk-free" but that was his meaning). I was polite and didn't laugh at him.

It would make sense it's an enviro allergy, right? Since it's eye irritation. Frustrating that I see this at the same time as lots of cognitive improvements. It wouldn't be one of the new supps, right? I added in a whole lot at the beginning of the summer.

I guess plan A is to read about this prescription and see if the drops DO make the itchiness go away. If so, then yeah, I'll be pretty sure it's an allergy, then I figure out where to go with this. Dangit.
This sounds exactly like what my then 2 year old dd had last Christmas. She was rubbing her eyes, like she does when sleepy, but it got to the point where it was rubbing all day long. After about a week or so she said her eyes hurt and she wanted to go to the doctor. For a two year old to ask for the doctor when she hadn't been to one since she was an infant, we assumed something was really wrong. But she had no redness, no discharge, no excessive blinking, and no other signs of allergy like sneezing or coughing or congestion.

The opthomologist said the telltale sign was the flakiness of the inner eyelids, which can be seen only under magnification. According to him it is impossible to tell if it was an infection or inflammation due to allergy or irritation. He said it could have been irritation from shampoo, soap, etc., environmental allergy, or infection from dirty hands touching the eyes. He prescribed drops that contained both an antibiotic (tobramycin) and a steriod for the inflammation/irritation (dexamethasone). We did two drops every day for 2 weeks which was a nightmare because the drops burn. I think we actually stopped after about 10 days because she put up such a fuss. We never figured out what caused it and it hasn't happened again.

Given your ds' increased need for vit C, could it be a random infection and not necessarily an allergy?

eta: Dd eye doctor is a pediatric opthomologist and he said that what she had was quite common, though the most common symptom is excessive blinking.
#78 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Where is the head slapping smiley? My MIL switched to the salt water system--and I think THAT is the high copper one! This is my child with high copper symptoms...hmm...and then the public pool is hugely chlorine...(she's been there once).

I've been oiling her like crazy (essential oils, lol) and that seems to be helping. She actually saw a laundry basket of clothes and began FOLDING them. Much more mild mannered today too...poor kid, it must be miserable to feel so upset all the time (not that it''s been all the time; just all the time lately!)
Kathy, maybe you should stick with swimming in the lake?
Yes it's the salt water system, copper based. I AM going to stick with the lake. But at home, he only lives a few miles from me, and has a pool. I guess I'll just stay hot there. I'm not going to do that if it gives me 3 days of spasms!

Quote:
I'm just curious, why did he say it's impossible? It just makes sense that you could absorb it through the skin. But maybe I'm missing something.
He said it's impossible, because he doesn't want it to be his "fault" that I had 3 days of muscle spasms. So he's saying it must have been something else.

I talked to the doctor tonight, and he said considering how sensitive I am to things, it's entirely possible that it would have put me over the edge. I guess I'd better start chelating, eh? I have to look back and see what the good way is (vs. what the osteo said, that you guys all said were wrong). And... drumroll... DD2 has lyme too.... this is my shocked face:

I think I'm becoming addicted to dosa. This morning it was scrambled eggs in dosa. Tonight it was tacos in dosa. And now I want to make a couple just because....

Tanya: that eye thing sounds weird. But I'd probably do the same thing. Try the drops and if they work then it was allergies. But weird.

#79 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1803 View Post
This sounds exactly like what my then 2 year old dd had last Christmas. She was rubbing her eyes, like she does when sleepy, but it got to the point where it was rubbing all day long. After about a week or so she said her eyes hurt and she wanted to go to the doctor. For a two year old to ask for the doctor when she hadn't been to one since she was an infant, we assumed something was really wrong. But she had no redness, no discharge, no excessive blinking, and no other signs of allergy like sneezing or coughing or congestion.

The opthomologist said the telltale sign was the flakiness of the inner eyelids, which can be seen only under magnification. According to him it is impossible to tell if it was an infection or inflammation due to allergy or irritation. He said it could have been irritation from shampoo, soap, etc., environmental allergy, or infection from dirty hands touching the eyes. He prescribed drops that contained both an antibiotic (tobramycin) and a steriod for the inflammation/irritation (dexamethasone). We did two drops every day for 2 weeks which was a nightmare because the drops burn. I think we actually stopped after about 10 days because she put up such a fuss. We never figured out what caused it and it hasn't happened again.

Given your ds' increased need for vit C, could it be a random infection and not necessarily an allergy?

eta: Dd eye doctor is a pediatric opthomologist and he said that what she had was quite common, though the most common symptom is excessive blinking.
I'm not seeing other illness/infection symptoms. But he** I didn't see other allergy symptoms either. Argh.

DS doesn't blink much anyway, wonder if I would've noticed extra. It's too late tonight, he's tired, I'm tired. I will count. Meant to today but was too bummed after the visit.

Quote:
Yes it's the salt water system, copper based. I AM going to stick with the lake. But at home, he only lives a few miles from me, and has a pool. I guess I'll just stay hot there. I'm not going to do that if it gives me 3 days of spasms!

He said it's impossible, because he doesn't want it to be his "fault" that I had 3 days of muscle spasms. So he's saying it must have been something else.

I talked to the doctor tonight, and he said considering how sensitive I am to things, it's entirely possible that it would have put me over the edge. I guess I'd better start chelating, eh? I have to look back and see what the good way is (vs. what the osteo said, that you guys all said were wrong). And... drumroll... DD2 has lyme too.... this is my shocked face:

I think I'm becoming addicted to dosa. This morning it was scrambled eggs in dosa. Tonight it was tacos in dosa. And now I want to make a couple just because....

Tanya: that eye thing sounds weird. But I'd probably do the same thing. Try the drops and if they work then it was allergies. But weird.
Okay, so it didn't work for me, and you'd need to look into it more, but modified citrus pectin seems to be discussed half for heavy metals and half for cancer issues. Maybe if someone had nutritional support in place AND used a more Cutler-esque dosing schedule (1 gram every 3 hours? if I try it again with the kids, I will do that instead of that 3x/day business), maybe it would be helpful.

I am re-considering using the drops. Cold symptoms and sore throat happen as side effects at a rate of 10%, and other fun stuff happens less than 5% of the time, some of which includes stuff I've had as a side effect of eye drops (stinging/burning, "foreign body sensation" -- nice way to say, feels like sand's in your eye for a day and a half)... I'm going to watch closely, see how his eyes continue to do, how do they do in El Paso (I'll bring the drops)... I'm just not thrilled. Plus the joy of putting drops in a 4-year old's eyes.

I decided F--- it, if his vitC need is staying high because of enviro allergens, there's no reason not to start a round of ALA. I've been delaying in part to let his vitC need continue to come down (easier to keep on top of the metals the ALA mobilizes if I've got a lot of upward room to give more, and it helps me figure out the correct dosage), and partly I was waiting til DD's stomach was calmer to do both kids at once. No reason to wait, now, though, and I'll see if 20mg is reasonable, based on the past it should be, and I'll plan to stay here for a lot more rounds. Lemons into lemonade? Cause I don't want to dwell on being pissed that his immune system is going downhill rather than up.
#80 of 687 Old 08-04-2010, 11:27 PM

Tanya, how long ago did you start with the Yasko supp - 3-4 weeks? Lots of people get a "honeymoon" with methylation supps - a few weeks of improvements, not much reaction. Then the body starts working through a backlog of viral/bacterial load and DNA repair, and your often see more detox symptoms (which often look like random sickness type symptoms). It's possible that's what you have going on - in which case his immune system finally has enough support to start cleaning out the junk. DS had 6-8 weeks of off and on stuff, then he's been great since then. Most kids it also triggers metals detox, but guessing with all the chelating you've done, you won't have as many issues there.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#81 of 687 Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Tanya, how long ago did you start with the Yasko supp - 3-4 weeks? Lots of people get a "honeymoon" with methylation supps - a few weeks of improvements, not much reaction. Then the body starts working through a backlog of viral/bacterial load and DNA repair, and your often see more detox symptoms (which often look like random sickness type symptoms). It's possible that's what you have going on - in which case his immune system finally has enough support to start cleaning out the junk. DS had 6-8 weeks of off and on stuff, then he's been great since then. Most kids it also triggers metals detox, but guessing with all the chelating you've done, you won't have as many issues there.
The bold part? I've got a lot left to do with the kids. This whole thing _seems_ like forever, but I've chelated myself a whole lot more than the kids, and there are two of them, so sometimes it was only one or the other. And especially early on, I didn't make as much progress as I could've because I couldn't think clearly enough to solve minor problems for each kid separately and then chelate--the mental energy of getting up at night, monitoring doses, watching for side effects, like that.

Started the comt-- supp mid-June, varied between 1 and 2 of them per day for quite a bit of time--not as consistent at 2/day as I wanted to be.

Okay, random stuff I can deal with for a while. Poop today looked fine, we'll see how it goes as we progress into the ALA round (first time since giving digestive enzymes).

DS fell asleep really fast tonight, that was the ALA kicking in, does the same to me when I up my dose. that this dose is fine, it should be, but hell, my kid shouldn't be developing enviro allergies, so clearly my understanding of reality is lacking. Or the eye rubbing thing is some weird, random thing that goes away with me never understanding it... is that better or worse?
#82 of 687 Old 08-05-2010, 12:59 AM

Sorry Tanya about the eye doc- that is disappointing. And fwiw- I've used allergy eye drops before, because my eyes get really irritated with my enviro allergies, and they just made them feel worse.

DD's raspberry reaction is weird. Usually with that kind of screaming and pain, she'll have diarrhea the next day. That was Monday night, and she hasn't pooped since (she usually poops every day.) (TMI) She had just one little tiny drip of poop yesterday, and one today. And it wasn't hard or anything like a constipated poop. I called to get her into the CST lady today, and she said she could feel how backed up DD's gut was. I was hoping between that and the epsom salt bath tonight she would start clearing stuff out, but no such luck. Arg.

#83 of 687 Old 08-05-2010, 02:02 AM

Well, I hope it doesn't make an appearance in the middle of the night, hopefully first thing in the morning.

And yeah--big downside if DS's eyes felt like mine did the last time I used prescription eye drops for allergies. Burning, stinging, took a full day to get back to just feeling the allergies. I'm going to watch closely and see if/when the potential benefits of the eye drops outweigh the potential drawbacks. Da**it. I haven't sworn this much in a long time, I am really ticked.

I'm channelling my medical angst into a letter to our pedi that I've been considering writing for a long time. I really like her overall, so wording it in such a way that makes that clear is tricky, but ever since our visit in April, I've been wondering if I should bring up the fact that, a) she had a highly inflammatory, emotionally manipulative pertussis poster in the exam room that we were in, it was the reason I didn't discuss our prolonged coughing illness with her, and b) she said something about the kids having good social skills "despite homeschooling." I don't think she meant it as a slam, but that sorta makes it worse. I'll take a couple weeks to get the wording right, and I want to include hard copies of a couple studies (there's a new one from Australia) that, to me, support the argument that the pertussis vaccine doesn't prevent infection or transmission, it probably just reduces symptoms some. So guilting people into vaccinating themselves to protect others may be completely and utterly useless.
#84 of 687 Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I haven't sworn this much in a long time, I am really ticked.

#85 of 687 Old 08-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Hello all,

Jr - are you finally feeling better?

I was super excited because a miracle happened and yesterday morning when Scout woke up she was perfectly clear on her chest and tummy. But d*mn it - my the time the afternoon ended she was a mess again. She didn't eat dinner. And she cried herself to sleep. And oh yeah - she threw up stinking water. I don't know if it was more from gagging/coughing or actual throwing up. But it was a sucky night.

But, I have been working on developing this blog post that briefly outlines the basics that one day maybe I want to develop into a book called tongue in cheek - The Zombie Diaries (cause we don't get any sleep). It is helping me put the basics down on paper for me and especially my family. And it helps me get some of my emotions out - which are just not good.

Last week we took our kids to the fair and Scout coughed all day long - stupid reflux cough.

My dad was supposed to have a lesion removed off of his esphagus on Monday caused by his severe reflux but the scope broke on the surgery right before his. They currently believe it is noncancerous though, which is good. But he does have Barrett's Esophagus.

We go on August 24th for an EE and Celiac scope and to see what kind of damage (I hope none) is being done to Scout's esophagus from the almost constant reflux.

I suck and I have really become lax with the supplements. And we have to give her gluten right now. Blah to all of this.

Does anyone have a recipe for no bake cookies that doesn't include dairy? I am sure I can do coconut milk for the milk, but what about the butter?

Interesting pool discussion - I just found out that Scout's daycare reuses their swim diapers (they say they can tell they haven't been peed in) and that they put a cup of regular old household bleach in the water to clean it. with the big old list of resctrictions they have for the girl, they didn't think to call and ask if I was okay with that?

And you know - I can absolutely not get the cradle cap to go away. Nothing is working. Her hair is not growing at the front of her head. But she is still major cute

I had something else to say but totally forgot becuase I have no short term memory anymore - I blame the complete lack of sleep.

Karen
#86 of 687 Old 08-05-2010, 03:28 PM

ARGH I don't know if this is my internet connection or what but I keep losing posts.

yes, I do believe adrenal function is very imp:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/

Dannic,
What did you do to treat your adrenals? I'm waiting my test results from saliva testing.

Tanya,

What about inability to process EFA's causing dry eye, is that a possibility?

Also, I've performed numerous tests on myself with chemical vs. whole food C and the whole food version is the only one which keeps away my enviro allergy sx including itchy, goopy eyes. Supposedly the bioflavonoids in whole C keeps it circulating in the body longer which chemical C has a very short half life (1 hr?) I wonder if adding whole C will bring his overall need down?

Kathy,
What med did you try? If it was Synthroid,
#87 of 687 Old 08-05-2010, 03:35 PM

Oh for pete's sakes, now I didn't finish and hit post by mistake.

Kathy,
.... to continue... if it was Synthroid, which is T4, that is useless in the face of a T3 conversion or uptake problem, or having high reverse T3.

How do you know your metabolism is high? Usually low temps indicate that you would have a low metabolism test.
#88 of 687 Old 08-05-2010, 04:11 PM

Tanya,

That's horrible that she said to you in the way she did about your kids social skills. Crappy back handed compliment.

My friend who is an RN texted me the other day that pertussis was on the rise and I should get Scout vaxed. I managed not to reply - Oh you mean I should get the baby who stopped using the left side of her body for a few months after her vax another vax. No, no thanks. Her body can't handle food - I am not putting a bunch of extra crap into thanks.

good luck with you letter.

Karen
#89 of 687 Old 08-05-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
Does anyone have a recipe for no bake cookies that doesn't include dairy? I am sure I can do coconut milk for the milk, but what about the butter?
I've done a version of chocolate oatmeal no-bakes using coconut oil instead of butter. And sunflowerseed butter instead of peanut butter.

Quote:
Interesting pool discussion - I just found out that Scout's daycare reuses their swim diapers (they say they can tell they haven't been peed in) and that they put a cup of regular old household bleach in the water to clean it. with the big old list of resctrictions they have for the girl, they didn't think to call and ask if I was okay with that?

Karen
I used to re-use DS's swim diapers last summer. I didn't even "wash" them - just hung them to dry. I figured the pool chlorine was enough. But, yeah, they should ask you whenever they use something that has the potential to irritate the skin. Otherwise you're left hanging, trying to figure out what caused a reaction.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#90 of 687 Old 08-05-2010, 04:29 PM

I remember my other question: what does really foul smelling urine mean? Maybe ammonia smelling.

Karen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page