Already August on the Allergy forum?! (chat thread) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep. It is August. Already.

Join us for updates on our trials, tribulations and joys as we Celebrate Already August?! with heat waves and dairy-free, soy-free, corn-free ice cream in gluten-free cones.

So bring your questions, problems, celebrations and general amazing-ness here.

Pat

I have a blog.
#2 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
DD is a basket case right now. Very angry. Strange, but I don't think she's lost any food...I'm wondering if it's swimming? Chlorines, bromines?
New baby coming? Life stress?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#3 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 01:35 PM

I'm in.

So which kind of pool do you think is worse - chlorine or bromine (ide)?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#4 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 PM

and dannic

I'm here.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I'm in.

I think Jane said that the bromine kind is worse.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#6 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 02:08 PM

feeling kind of stressed right now, and realized that I haven't been taking my homemade h5-htp, gaba supp. I think that might be it.

#7 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
feeling kind of stressed right now, and realized that I haven't been taking my homemade h5-htp, gaba supp. I think that might be it.
Well get on it then.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#8 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I'm in.

Bromine - it has BOTH bromine and chlorine. And I think bromine's more toxic than chlorine, in terms of symptoms while trying to clear it with iodine?

#9 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Bromine - it has BOTH bromine and chlorine. And I think bromine's more toxic than chlorine, in terms of symptoms while trying to clear it with iodine?
Then why do they use it?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#10 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 02:29 PM

Danni--remind me how old your DD is? My DD was a trainwreck for about a month before DS was born--before the window when I was thinking it was likely for him to show up, so I don't think it was me changing my attitude on that. It seemed like somehow she knew that the end of my pregnancy was near and things were going to change. Lots of cuddles, fun stuff, low stress activities, all that normal jazz.

Chlobo--are you considering getting a pool? Have you considered salt water? I haven't ever looked into pools, just read a bit in passing. There may be some things that combine with UV as well as part of the disinfectant process, I think it reduces the chemicals that are needed, but I'm really not clear on all that.

Kathy--you have a ton and a half of stress right now. Sorta wondering if that's responsible for your back spasms lately. If you wanna chat things out, let us know, and if you want to retreat to lurkdom and just chill, that's good too. We all wax and wane in how much we participate here. Heck, having a support group of recovering-sickies, it's a given!
#11 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Chlobo--are you considering getting a pool? Have you considered salt water? I haven't ever looked into pools, just read a bit in passing. There may be some things that combine with UV as well as part of the disinfectant process, I think it reduces the chemicals that are needed, but I'm really not clear on all that.
I'm considering joining a pool for next summer. A swim & tennis club. Also, the place where DD has been taking swimming (indoors) uses bromine and I think I want to take her someplace else.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#12 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Well get on it then.
Yeah -doesn't seem to be happening fast enough.

Oh well. nothing like a long ride in a car to a craniopath's place to calm the nerves.

#13 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Then why do they use it?
Maybe you end up with less chlorine? Maybe the bromine's better at disinfecting? I'm not sure. I just remember reading that they use chlorine to 'recycle' the bromine. You add bromine once and it's there forever, then you keep adding chlorine to get it to do it's thing.

#14 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Missed this recipe!?

Pat

I have a blog.
#15 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah -doesn't seem to be happening fast enough.

Oh well. nothing like a long ride in a car to a craniopath's place to calm the nerves.
Yeah, nothing like it. Almost as soothing at the long wait for a treatment room.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#16 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Danni--remind me how old your DD is? My DD was a trainwreck for about a month before DS was born--before the window when I was thinking it was likely for him to show up, so I don't think it was me changing my attitude on that. It seemed like somehow she knew that the end of my pregnancy was near and things were going to change. Lots of cuddles, fun stuff, low stress activities, all that normal jazz.

!
She's five. My 3 yr old is great. But you may be right. She had a really hard time with transitioning to 3 kids...She may just need more attn...I've been pretty self-absorbed, but dd2 will get whatever attn she wants and ds isn't in need of as much...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#17 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I'm considering joining a pool for next summer. A swim & tennis club. Also, the place where DD has been taking swimming (indoors) uses bromine and I think I want to take her someplace else.
Ah, got it. I've read that pools can be over-chlorined fairly easily, but with someone paying attention, a lot less can be used... read an article on this a while back. Apparently you can ask to see the records the keep for maintaining the pool--I'd need to re-read to figure out what you're looking for, maybe not-wild swings in pH? If you're up for that level of looking into it.

So, it is a crazy hot day today. Ugh. DD isn't tolerating the heat that well, she was outside for a bit, but we're inside now (and bored and cranky). And I _finally_ got around to really looking in the pond-hole in the yard--former owners had a fountain that was sunk into the ground with a plastic liner, we agreed they'd take the fountain but we've had an empty, plastic lined hole in the corner since--and yes, apparently we've been breeding mosquitoes like mad. Ew. Ew. Ewwwww. We are ready to put together our own fountain and fix up the corner, but that corner (which now has dead leaves and rocks and who knows what) needs to be cleaned out first. Ewww.

I am so not motivated to do anything. Need to go grocery shopping, don't want to. Don't want to cook. It's pathetic, I just need to start _something_.

Hoping everyone is having a good, or at least improving, day. Happy August (the hottest, most humid month of the year, at least around here).
#18 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:18 PM

ds3 went for a 10 minute nap this morning (and likely won't nap this afternoon) and ds's 1 and 2 are INSANE. I've thrown the older 2 outside but HOLY JEEZ.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#19 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:31 PM

I swear there's something about summer... glutamates for some, salicylates for others, a friend's DD has more yeasty gut problems in the hot/humid summer, part of me wants to run away.

I am finding better and better TCM sites that discuss stuff, but it's still not enough, I think I want to start looking for a good introductory textbook. DD had another nosebleed last night, which is reasonable from the protein/ammonia standpoint, but also the stomach heat/liver imbalance standpoint of TCM as well, but I want to understand that part better--though I think it will still discuss a more balanced diet than we've done since returning from vacation, but I still want to understand. That was related to something, but what?

No idea how that was related. I have a headache, I think it's my ALA/glycine (which is a lower dose than in the past), I think *I'm* not tolerating the summer very well either. The one redeeming feature is that I think I'm finally more patient and understanding with the kids. Not perfect, for sure, but improving. That was on my Treasure Map, it's a nice one to start seeing (even if it does take my own effort to make those things happen).
#20 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:41 PM

Some from last month's thread and this month's as well...

Quote:
JaneS, your description of the skin on our upper arms being like the back of our hands (supposed to be) is fascinating--mine isn't. I need to test DH. Is anyone's upper arm _really_ like that?
There was a pic in Dr. Starr's book of normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Well crap. Based on what I'm reading about serum sickness these rashes we're seeing likely precede DS feeling totally crappy - fever, swollen joints, swollen face, hives, itching all over, maybe issues breathing.
I would be doing bowel tolerance of sodium ascorbate or getting a C IV.

Quote:
What a conundrum. Maybe I should try to see Wedda, if she's still taking patients. At the time I was just too tired to add another long drive.
I'm pretty sure she is. Sodium selenite is not a good form, how much are you taking? The adrenals in the crapper can effect your thyroid. Also can effect whether you can even respond to thyroid hormone.

In fact, low thyroid function can CAUSE low adrenals b/c the adrenals get stressed out by constantly making up for low thyroid.

I'm considering adrenal cortex extract b/c I'm sure my Neuroscience reports are going to come back low. Also there is licorace, ashgawanda, and a few other herbal adrenal support I just talked about (wrote down and promptly forgot it!) The RD was worried I would be trying T3 and not be able to handle it b/c of my adrenals.

The home test for aldosterone indicated a problem (flashlight pupil test). I've been mostly remembering my salt water first thing in AM and do better with this.

Quote:
There's talk in TF land about adding whey to homemade mayo to make it a bit probiotic and keep longer. If you could find a tasty ferment juice, that could extend the life a bit.
ETA: sorry forgot this... I have done this with mayo and it works fabulously. It does get more firm with time as the recipe says.

Quote:
I keep getting stuff like that from dh, too. We really just don't see eye to eye on this stuff, at all. He humors me
Y'all count your blessings! I can officially announce now that I have served STBX with divorce papers. Filed on my birthday no less! This should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
DD is a basket case right now. Very angry. Strange, but I don't think she's lost any food...I'm wondering if it's swimming? Chlorines, bromines?
Yes, these can effect clogged detox pathways for sure. Will she eat a lot of sea salt and/or drink salted liquid?

Quote:
Yes, bromine is worse, and one that cause major symptoms when stored by the body and also when detoxed by iodine, but both can effect the thyroid.
#21 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 PM

Forgot one more thing....

Dr. K's book also mentions inflammation being a cause of poor thyroid uptake by the cells.

That is certainly a factor with me and my high CRP. He recs SOD transdermal cream (which is probably only avail thru him) and a few other things I'll be looking into.
#22 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Y'all count your blessings! I can officially announce now that I have served STBX with divorce papers. Filed on my birthday no less! This should be interesting.

<snip>

Yes, bromine is worse, and one that cause major symptoms when stored by the body and also when detoxed by iodine, but both can effect the thyroid.
Happy birthday? And congrats!!

Sing it, sister. eta: Had a major increase in thyroid symptoms after starting a VERY small amount of iodine and had to stop iodine and then have increased TRH by about 3/4 grain since then. le sigh

#23 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
The one redeeming feature is that I think I'm finally more patient and understanding with the kids. Not perfect, for sure, but improving. That was on my Treasure Map, it's a nice one to start seeing (even if it does take my own effort to make those things happen).
I got the 'Simple Abundance' book and really like it. I like reading books now that make me feel peaceful for a break between the books which can make me stressed out about my or DS's state of health!
#24 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
and congrats, whichever you need at the moment. Seems like a hard step, but also a necessary one to move forward. You've seemed bogged down, stuck in a really stressful, tough place, I hope that lets up some as things are settled.
#25 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I got the 'Simple Abundance' book and really like it. I like reading books now that make me feel peaceful for a break between the books which can make me stressed out about my or DS's state of health!
I need to do that.

#26 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure she is. Sodium selenite is not a good form, how much are you taking? The adrenals in the crapper can effect your thyroid. Also can effect whether you can even respond to thyroid hormone.

I take about 200.

Well congrats. I hope you had the papers served by someone singing about liberation!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#27 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Oh good, I'm glad you're enjoying it. This fall I am going to put in some major work simplying our house, getting things more organized, less visual clutter, 'a place for everything and everything in its place' type of thing. I've started a little bit, but in September I plan to get a bit more organized about it. For now, just surviving the summer travel and heat.
#28 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 PM

What's the full name of the book? I can't seem to find it on Amazon.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#29 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Happy birthday? And congrats!!
and thank you for the bday wishes.

Yeah, reading that sounds like I served the final papers, but no just the beginning of the court case unfortunately. Sigh. I wish it was done. We tried mediation for a long time and it didn't work.

I still really hope we can negotiate a deal ourselves with attorneys for each of us involved in order to provide the accountability that wasn't there in mediation. That is the typical next step. Only 10% of divorces go to trial.

I would have given him most everything he wanted in mediation if he stuck with the agreements we made, but alas that just couldn't happen... he either claimed he never made the agreements or just ignored them. Mediators have no teeth to enforce anything. Also I think he just wanted to stall and keep the status quo, so perhaps that is why he wasn't motivated to negotiate.

I've been extremely lucky. I'm being represented pro bono b/c our incomes are vastly different, and there has been financial abuse. And b/c my case involves a child with life threatening allergy.

We have a hearing scheduled in a few weeks to determine temporary orders for support and then I will prepare to move out. Wish me luck and send protective vibes until then!
#30 of 687 Old 08-02-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
We have a hearing scheduled in a few weeks to determine temporary orders for support and then I will prepare to move out. Wish me luck and send protective vibes until then!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page