Mothering Forum banner

Pregnant again, and questions

539 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rhesp1212 
#1 ·
DS1 has IgE allergies to milk, eggs, and nuts, and it is one of the reasons I continue to breastfeed him. He is 27 months old.

I was pregnant 4 months ago, but MCed. I didn't tell my OB I was breastfeeding, and I never received special progesterone supplements or anything like that.

I am pg again, and am wondering a lot of things. Is it better to continue nursing with the risk of low progesterone, while taking a progterone supplement? Or wean DS1?

When did you wean your food allergic child and under what circumstances? What were their reactions and changes in symptoms?

Also, did you eat differently during your following pregnancies after knowing your other children had food allergies? Is there anything you can do, nutrition wise to prevent food allergies?

Sorry for the barrage...feeling a little overwhelmed...Thank you!

#2 ·
There are a couple of threads around discussing prevention if its possible: "How not to have an allergic child" and I forget the other one. The allergy chat thread mamas would know if you are interested. I'll call them over.

One important thing might be to get a test for the MTHFR gene considering the hx of an allergic child and a MC. "Food Folate" is a thread started by Pat about this.

Unfortunately I did notice a difference when I weaned my fa child at that age, however, this might have been due to the fact that he also started eating more food which he was intolerant of: food chemical salicylates. His stool and skin (eczema) and sleeping all went further downhill. That doesn't necessarily mean you would have the same experience.

How many times a day does he nurse? maybe you should test your progesterone?

Don't stress, I have MC'd too... sending sticky vibes

#3 ·
I'm so sorry about your loss.....I, too, have been there done that! Many women successfully continue BF'ing and carry a pregnancy without any problems. It doesn't always effect your progesterone. That said, when you get pg again, I would immediately have your progesterone checked to make sure that it's not low. You can supplement progesterone, but it may also decrease your milk supply, which often naturallly happens during pregnancy anyways.

How long you nurse your FA child is totally a personal decision. I continued nursing mine as long as I could until both of our diets became so restrictive that I became very sick from lack of nutrients (went from 7 foods down to 4). At that point, I stopped nursing for my health and so that I could feel well enough to be a good Mommy.

I think one of the things most people will say is to eliminate anything that you personally are reactive to by allergy or intolerance, if you know those things. If you are reacting, baby is more likely to react as well. If you have a family history of certain allergies, I would avoid those as well. Otherwise, I think some of it is genetic and you won't be able to do anything to prevent it from occuring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.