New here- need allergy related wisdom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have 2 LO's- a three year old DS and 10 month old DD. EBF DD has allergic reactions when I eat milk, soy, wheat, eggs, strawberries, coffee and maybe a couple other things. The reactions include spit up, eczema, mucous/blood in stool, rashes on her bottom. I started eliminating stuff in January. I don't mind so much restricting, but since I've attempted to start DD on solids (at 6 months) she has not been able to tolerate anything. She's had carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, pears, and chicken, and the least reaction she's had with any of them has been a rash on her bottom (I hope that makes sense!) So for all intents and purposes, she only gets breastmilk. She's growing really great, so I'm not concerned about that, but she really wants to eat solid food! I guess at this point it's more of a guilt thing for me, cause I wish I could give her something. I've not introduced any rice or other grains, as I've read that babies don't have some kind of grain digesting enzyme or something til later (after a year?)

Anyway, I was reading some things on this forum about using probiotics, and I'm on one (but not very good about actually taking it) but I wonder, will it make a big difference for her if I take it "religiously" or whatever??? Also, I wondered about "leaky gut" and if I could possibly be dealing with that myself. Can anybody provide some links to information about bringing about healing for these allergic issues? Also, DS was recently diagnosed with mild allergy to milk and egg white. (He didn't really display any symptoms while I was BF'ing him- from birth to age 2)

I don't mind doing whatever I can to help DD continue breastfeeding, but would like to see that at some point in the near future she would be able to begin to eat normally. I would appreciate any advice! TIA!

Actually, I'm a joyful mom of three and counting! (I was a tad short-sighted when picking my username!) Married to DH since 2006, mom of DS (2007), DD (2009), DS2 (2012) and a new little one expected early May 2015!
#2 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
. (double post)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 12:12 AM

Just bumping you... my brain is too frazzled to give any sage advice right now. But I've got lots of allergy 101 stuff on my blog (click my user name, then home page.)

Eta: Oh, and welcome to MDC!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#4 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome! I've got a teething baby here so I have to be brief.

DD also reacts if I eat any soy, dairy, wheat, corn, nuts. Rice is actually a low allergen food and totally different from grain like wheat or barley.

We tried her last week (at 8 months) and she was super gassy, constipated and rashy from the little bit of solids we gave her, so we are waiting until next month. It's tough when they want to try, but we give her special meal time toys, like a bowl, cup and a set of rubber coated spoons to play with that she only gets at the table with us, in her high chair. It seems to help. Also, you could try breastmilk slushy.

I have a good friend who has allergy prone babies and they tended to begin solids quite late, sometimes a little after a year.

Have you tried recently? Have the reactions lessened at all over time? Have you rotated anything she reacts too recently through your diet? I ask because DD reactions to some things in my diet have lessened or ceased over time, like I could add eggs back in last month.

This might help too:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#5 of 14 Old 08-14-2010, 01:41 AM

Welcome to MDC! Sorry this is the first forum you post in.

Pretty much (maybe always?) if baby is reacting to foods you're eating, then a) you aren't digesting those foods well, and b) fractions of those foods are getting out of your digestive tract to travel through your bloodstream to _get_ to your milk. That's a reasonably long list you've identified so far, so I'd think that leaky gut on both your behalf is involved.

I'd choose a good quality infant probiotic for your LO, actually for both your kids while you're at it. Taking a probiotic regularly could be useful to you, but probably not amazingly helpful to your LO--I'd supp my LO directly. There's been discussion in the past about which brands are best, I know I'm going to forget a few so I'm not even going to try. There's a Search function, if you haven't found it already, and the Advanced Search will let you search just this forum. My brain is seriously fried, I'm on "vacation" that's turning into anything but.

Um... have you seen the Sticky in this forum? There are good links there, both old threads that are helpful (look for discussion of leaky gut, maybe digestive enzymes, like that) and also outside articles on various topics.

Next, how's your health overall? For me, that was huge in understanding why the kids had food intolerances and other health/behavior issues. For me, and this isn't the case for everyone but it's worth considering, my kids' health issues were just their personal manifestations of our similar underlying health problem. Different clues, same problem. We can help link stuff up if you like. Mineral and vitamin deficiencies often play a part, so supplementing some of those for yourself could improve both your health and your LO, though many minerals don't change in quantity very easily in breastmilk (our bodies try to hold them steady) so making up a deficiency for a nurseling may not be that easy, but it's a starting place.

Oh, speaking of which, do you have a multivit? And are you taking any supplements at all? If you do, you're sure that they don't contain any of the foods your LO reacts to? If you don't have a multivit, maybe consider one from Thorne. They've got real folate, generally good forms of vitamins and minerals, and to me, when kids are reacting like this, it's a sign that their bodies are under a lot of stress and could use more nutrients to help them heal.

You wrote allergies a couple times, does your 3yo have IgE allergies? IgE allergies correlate to low folate in studies, and we've discussed folate a lot in this forum, it's an important part of methylation--our bodies will stick a methyl group on something they don't like as a step in getting rid of it (viruses, histamine--like the kind that anti-histamines work against, some heavy metals, all sorts of seemingly unrelated things), and some people genetically need more folate than others (actual folate, not folic acid). Just throwing that in in case anything rings a bell.

In terms of foods that are easy to digest, it's messy, but I'd consider trying soup. Homemade stock, the kind you make by simmering bones for several hours, then cook up some veggies and/or chicken til they're tender, may be more easily digested. Stock has a lot of gelatin, it's soothing for the digestive tract and the protein is easily digestible and of a type that's actually good for strengthening digestion.

You may want to check out the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It's a diet meant to help with healing very irritated digestive systems, and it's possible that starting with only foods that are SCD legal would be more easily digested. Though most of what you mentioned before is allowed in SCD, maybe all of it--I think the earlier stages are more restrictive but I don't remember the details. But at some later point, it may be something to consider.

This was very disjointed, but I wasn't kidding about my week. At least it's the weekend!

Welcome.
#6 of 14 Old 08-14-2010, 01:43 AM

Just a thought... Are all of the foods you've tried her with fresh? I mean, is it food which you've prepared for yourself but then mush or whatever for her? Or is it jarred food?
I agree with a pp that, if you can express some bm for her for bm pops or slush, that may be helpful.
How often are you trying new foods?
If you do a search in the main H&H forum for "Healing the Gut", I'm sure you will find a lot of great links.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#7 of 14 Old 08-14-2010, 01:45 AM

And my brain's apparently not all here either.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#8 of 14 Old 08-14-2010, 01:51 AM

Maybe check out Gut and Psychology Syndrome diet (GAPS diet) to help address leaky gut.

Also, be sure your get a dairy-free probiotic (alot of kids ones have dairy) and magnesium stearate is good to avoid (according to Dr. Mercola of mercola.com) b/c it coats the intestines and reduces absorption. Also, "carageenen" "malt" and "natural flavors" can all mean MSG.
#9 of 14 Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for all the responses! I am going to try to go through them and answer any questions for clarity:

Quote:
Have you tried recently? Have the reactions lessened at all over time? Have you rotated anything she reacts too recently through your diet? I ask because DD reactions to some things in my diet have lessened or ceased over time, like I could add eggs back in last month.
There's hardly ever any spit up- which there used to be a ton. But then again (with the exception of the last couple of days), I have totally eliminated the offending foods. Last night we were at a get together and there was teriyaki chicken and I ate a piece, and this morning DD had blood in her stool. (Soy)...anyway, recently she has eaten little bits of plain chicken, and she had mucousy stool and a rash on her bottom which is what the most common reactions are for her lately. I also recently let her play with/chew on a stripped chicken bone and she enjoys that- and doesn't have any noticeable reaction.

I did start reading some of the links in the sticky...that has been very informative and I am starting to really lean toward the "leaky gut" factor. I was also reading this http://www.stopleakygut.com/symptoms yesterday, and I was really surprised at how many of the symptoms I could relate to. So, that has kind of been eye opening!

Quote:
Um... have you seen the Sticky in this forum? There are good links there, both old threads that are helpful (look for discussion of leaky gut, maybe digestive enzymes, like that) and also outside articles on various topics.

Next, how's your health overall? For me, that was huge in understanding why the kids had food intolerances and other health/behavior issues. For me, and this isn't the case for everyone but it's worth considering, my kids' health issues were just their personal manifestations of our similar underlying health problem. Different clues, same problem. We can help link stuff up if you like. Mineral and vitamin deficiencies often play a part, so supplementing some of those for yourself could improve both your health and your LO, though many minerals don't change in quantity very easily in breastmilk (our bodies try to hold them steady) so making up a deficiency for a nurseling may not be that easy, but it's a starting place.

Oh, speaking of which, do you have a multivit? And are you taking any supplements at all? If you do, you're sure that they don't contain any of the foods your LO reacts to? If you don't have a multivit, maybe consider one from Thorne. They've got real folate, generally good forms of vitamins and minerals, and to me, when kids are reacting like this, it's a sign that their bodies are under a lot of stress and could use more nutrients to help them heal.

You wrote allergies a couple times, does your 3yo have IgE allergies? IgE allergies correlate to low folate in studies, and we've discussed folate a lot in this forum, it's an important part of methylation--our bodies will stick a methyl group on something they don't like as a step in getting rid of it (viruses, histamine--like the kind that anti-histamines work against, some heavy metals, all sorts of seemingly unrelated things), and some people genetically need more folate than others (actual folate, not folic acid). Just throwing that in in case anything rings a bell.
I've never really considered my health to be poor, but I think that's compared to the "typical American" IYKWIM...but looking at that list that I linked to, you can see that any health issues have manifested in subtle ways (like anxiety, fuzzy thinking, headaches- just to name a few). With DD's pregnancy I tested pos for GBS, and had antibiotics during labor (which I now feel was a huge mistake and wish I could or would have thought to seek alternatives) I didn't have that issue with DS's pregnancy. I also recently had a major tooth infection...(just mention that in case it helps to shed light on the state of my health) other than that, I don't really have any issues...except again for those more subtle "leaky gut symptoms" Any helpful links to reading up on ways to improve would definitely be appreciated.

As far as supplements are concerned I am taking this http://www.naturesway.com/Products/V...ens-Multi.aspx And previously I was taking Super Food by Dr Schulze...as far as I know, neither have any offending ingredients. Not sure how those compare to Thorne- I'm not sure I've heard of that. I'm also on "Country Life" probiotics- free of yeast, wheat, soy, gluten, milk, salt, preservatives, and artificial colors. Doesn't say anything about egg either way, so I don't think it's in there.

As for my 3 year old, he was diagnosed by a blood test...the doctor told me he had "shown a slight allergy" to egg white and cow's milk. Which I already had suspected, but I thought he'd outgrown one or both...when I first introduced dairy, he just broke out in a rash on his face...same the first time he had eggs. He only had seemed to react more recently to foods containing whey, but I noticed when I totally eliminated all dairy-(mostly cheese as in gold fish crackers and the occasional slice of pizza- or possibly hiding in chicken nugget breading), he stopped scratching himself on his back and his bottom (he had pretty bad marks on both areas). He also seems to react to dogs and hay. The last time he was exposed to hay, his whole face swelled up, including puffy eyes, etc. He also had a reaction like that to some kind of laundry detergent that was used at his former daycare when he was three months old. He didn't really react to anything while he was nursing, except a couple times when I ate at Taco Bell (he had projectile spit up), which I now think has to be related to MSG-

Also, DD has only had jarred foods once or twice I think. I started making organic food for her at home after that thinking it might make a difference. But it didn't really seem to.

As far as a probiotic for her, I had tried to give her the one DS is taking- but the label says something like "may contain trace amounts of dairy and/or soy" and she broke out in a rash on her face...I had bought that before DS's allergy diagnosis.

So thanks again for any help. Like I said before, I just am looking for ways to overcome this and any hope that it is possible to do so!

Actually, I'm a joyful mom of three and counting! (I was a tad short-sighted when picking my username!) Married to DH since 2006, mom of DS (2007), DD (2009), DS2 (2012) and a new little one expected early May 2015!
#10 of 14 Old 08-14-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulmomof2 View Post
Anyway, I was reading some things on this forum about using probiotics, and I'm on one (but not very good about actually taking it) but I wonder, will it make a big difference for her if I take it "religiously" or whatever??? Also, I wondered about "leaky gut" and if I could possibly be dealing with that myself. Can anybody provide some links to information about bringing about healing for these allergic issues? Also, DS was recently diagnosed with mild allergy to milk and egg white. (He didn't really display any symptoms while I was BF'ing him- from birth to age 2)
For your DS, why did you test him for allergies? Was it only the last year that he's shown problems, after you were done BFing him? No colic, or fussiness or anything like that for him? What are his allergies for milk and egg white?

For your DD, have you seen the Joneja allergy chart? It shows allergenicity of different foods. Since your DD's reactions could be allergy or intolerance, we also did a poll on here about food reactions that were intolerances to sort of get the equivalent kind of chart for intolerances. There was a thread a while ago, but if you PM me your email, I could send you the excel spreadsheet that I used to see which foods were "safest" in terms of reactions around here for intolerances. So maybe between that chart and the Joneja chart, you could find some new foods to try.

Are you keeping a food journal? They've been very helpful for us.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#11 of 14 Old 08-14-2010, 02:17 PM

The GAPS diet and SCD diet will likely go a long way toward helping you heal your gut.
#12 of 14 Old 08-14-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
For your DS, why did you test him for allergies? Was it only the last year that he's shown problems, after you were done BFing him? No colic, or fussiness or anything like that for him? What are his allergies for milk and egg white?

For your DD, have you seen the Joneja allergy chart? It shows allergenicity of different foods. Since your DD's reactions could be allergy or intolerance, we also did a poll on here about food reactions that were intolerances to sort of get the equivalent kind of chart for intolerances. There was a thread a while ago, but if you PM me your email, I could send you the excel spreadsheet that I used to see which foods were "safest" in terms of reactions around here for intolerances. So maybe between that chart and the Joneja chart, you could find some new foods to try.

Are you keeping a food journal? They've been very helpful for us.
We tested DS at his 3 year check up...I had always known/suspected that he had some kind of issue like that...but then he did seem pretty small for his age, and I wanted to have confirmation in case allergy was a factor in his small stature...I think now at 3 years, 3 months, he's still almost tipping the scales at 30 lbs, but I also know that can just be how he's built...I'm not that concerned about it.

I have seen the Joneja food chart...got it taped to the fridge...and I am keeping a food journal/chart on the computer. (That is the one where they tell you what foods to introduce when and how to do it...i.e. a smudge on the cheek, wait 20 minutes, etc, right???) I will send you my email, as I'd be interested to see the other chart. Thanks.

#13 of 14 Old 08-14-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Something else I forgot: DD used to react to putting her mouth on toys at the church nursery... She would get a rash around her mouth (the same as DS would get when he first ate dairy or egg) I later discovered they use bleach to clean the toys, so for a while, I brought her own toys and was adamant that she not play with anything there. More recently though, she had gotten a hold of something there (kinda hard to stop her now, lol) and she now has no reaction.

Also DS had been displaying symptoms probably from the time he was 18 months or so I guess. I didn't really keep records with his symptoms, so that's just a ballpark. Mostly it was the rash on his face with certain foods: dairy, egg, banana, citrus. He also has signs at "the other end" red bottom, and loose stools (but that last one I've only noticed in the past year or so)...also the scratching- he used to scratch a lot- hand in diaper, and probably scratching at night, cause he would have marks on his upper back and on his bottom.

#14 of 14 Old 08-14-2010, 03:31 PM

small can mean that they're not absorbing nutrients well, or can be a sign of a food intolerance. A stool test might give you missing information as well (like missing enzymes or the wrong mix of bacteria in his intestines, etc.).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page