Potato flour substitute? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-16-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds1 is allergic to wheat, not sure about gluten yet, but I have been following quite a few gluten free recipes for now. Anyway, in the book I have, some of the recipes call for potato flour (not starch) and say it is necessary for the recipe. However, he's allergic to potatoes, too. (And soy and corn).

Is there anything that will give me similar results to potato flour?

fwiw, the cookbook is "The gluten-free gormet bakes bread" by Hagman.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-16-2010, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know if it's a direct substitution, but I use sweet potato flour (I get mine from barry's farm, online). I also use sorghum flour, tapioca starch, and light buckwheat flour. What are you using for a gum to hold it together? Xanthan gum is usually from corn. Guar gum is in the legume family. We use karaya gum, which is from a gum tree (I use Wilton's Gum-Tex, bought at craft stores in the cake section).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 5 Old 08-16-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Wow - so good to know. I have xanthan gum and guar gum, but didn't realize what they were made from. My boy gets rashes from legumes, too. I'll have to check into the karaya gum. I have sorghum flour and tapioca flour, amongst other things, but I"ve never tried sweet potato flour. I'll check into that.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#4 of 5 Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sweet potato flour is more of a starch than a flour, for consistency. I like it for gravies because it's not as gelatinous as tapioca starch. I've had to make a lot of phone calls/emails to find out what food sources things are from. If a company won't tell me, I don't use them. Some companies are good about allergy info., others not so much.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 5 Old 07-17-2011, 12:41 PM

Thank you so much for the info on Barry's Farm!!!!!  I ordered Plantain flour, sweet potato flour and cassava!  I am beating my head against a wall because the GF flour mixes and Artisan GF four mixes all use potato flour and I cannot have nightshades white potatoes included.  Was having trouble substituting out the potato flour ( getting thin runny results) and stumbled upon this thread!  I grew up in South America so am thrilled to find plantain flour as plantains are an all time favorite breakfast food these days.

Mahalo gracias and ciao

kjbrown92 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page