eliminated dairy, soy and gluten. What next? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cross-posted in Life with a Babe

DD has been very gassy and probably has reflux. I have had dairy out of my diet for 3 weeks, and gluten for 1 week. I thought we were onto something because about 2 days into the gluten-free, we had a couple day stretch of very peaceful, and no troublesome gas. Then now we've had two days of very gassy and uncomfortable. So I don't really know what to take out next. DP suggests oats (I've been eating gluten free oatmeal almost every morning). I'm wondering about decaf coffee?? I'm off of soy as well (I generally don't do well with soy myself).

Thoughts? I"m not really interested in doing a total elimination diet, but I guess I may consider it if I have to.

On another note, DD's gas is incredibly stinky; like I can't believe such a tiny one can emit this! Is this related to food sensitivities?

Katie, DW to Megin, Mamma to Quinn (7y.o.) and Wylie, born 07-04-10
#2 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 PM

How old is your baby? Is LO EBF? It can take months for gluten to pass from your system. Bad bacteria can cause stinky gas. Yeast plays a role in it also. Were you on antibiotics at all during preg or delivery or after? Are you taking a probiotic? I like this woman's page for diet info http://www.danasview.net/

She talks about yeast and bacteria here http://www.danasview.net/yeast.htm

I may have more to suggest later, but wanted to write this now. I went gluten free (and my children) months ago and I had no idea it was my problem all my life. I no longer have the painful hour long sessions in the bathroom that included diarrhea, constipation, vomiting and stomach pains so intense I thought I would pass out. I am GFCFSF, mostly corn free, canola free so far... and of course HFCS, dyes, msg, additives, GMO and anything else unnatural is out of my diet...

when I first knew I had a problem I was having very stinky bm and gas... the ND I saw said it was yeast overgrowth. I still ingest way too much sugar, but try to control it through probiotics and an occasional biotin capsule, and I put GSE in a smoothie every few days. If I was better about doing it daily I may actually eradicate the yeast one day...

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#3 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

DD is 8 weeks. She is EBF. No anti-biotics during birth or since. We are her probiotics and I am taking them as well. So is limiting sugar the best way to eliminate yeast?

Katie, DW to Megin, Mamma to Quinn (7y.o.) and Wylie, born 07-04-10
#4 of 6 Old 08-30-2010, 01:59 AM

yes, unfortunately, the most effective way to eliminate yeast is to starve them out. They eat sugar. If you have intense sugar cravings, it could be why. I know I do. But i have overcome so many things... sugar will be last for me. I was just reading a thread in the Vaccinations area about rotavirus. Apparently it is really smelly. Did you vaccinate for rotavirus? There has been a recall of some of the vaccines, and sometimes the vaccine can trigger the illness.

We don't vaccinate here, but just thought I would tell you what I had read in case you did and it was a side effect.

For me, the way I knew something I was eating bothered the baby was the anal ring, skin rashes, and crying. We didn't have gas or stinky poop as a symptom. Well I guess once I remember dd2 having very stinky bm... I opened a probiotic and gave her some on my finger... but she was older, like 12 mo...Hoping someone else pops in, I am certainly not an expert. I went GFCFSF more as a moral type decision than health, but I did hope it would help dd1 with some of her behavior issues. It has. and like I said, I had no idea gluten is what had caused me the grief I have experienced for so many years....

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#5 of 6 Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are you keeping a food journal? It's key in figuring things out when eliminating anything. If you've already taken out the top 3, I'd suggest corn. It rounds out the top 4 food intolerances, and basically takes out all processed foods. Keep track of everything you're eating, and you may figure out some smaller ones. When you take out the other three that you already have, you usually increase the 4th one (corn). Sometimes you get an initial dip and then you start craving grains, and you sub with corn, and get worse. It does take at least 4 days to get anything out of your system, so I'd still give gluten a little longer to see if that's a problem. Also, make sure to check all of your supplements. And for us, any amount was too much (such as soy lecithin and soybean oil, etc.). Take it all out initially, then you can test to see if you/she can tolerate things like soybean oil or xanthan gum (corn). Corn hides under a huge list of names and isn't a top 8 allergen, so doesn't have to be called out. But it's a big problem for a lot of people.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#6 of 6 Old 08-30-2010, 04:04 PM

It sounds to me like gluten may have been an issue, but either you kicked off some die off in you or her - she can react to your die off too - in which case, be patient, and it would pass in a few days. The other possibility is she is also reactive to something else - what are you eating more of now that you are off gluten? Could be oats, could be corn...

I personally am a fan of fixing gut flora by improving the gut environment (taking out irritating foods, digestive/pancreatic enzymes, probiotics) rather then trying to eliminate sugar. I don't think processed sugar in large quantitities is good for anyone, but I think there are ways to combat yeast without trying to avoid all sugars entirely. And it's impossible for a bf babe, bm is high in sugars.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page