Sassy September Chat Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aaaahhh... too much to catch up on. Hope everyone's day is going ok, and hugs to everyone who needs one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
What's getting me about this book is it's listing all sorts of things as symptoms that I hadn't seen before. Like long gestations and big babies that aren't due to gestational diabetes, and lax ligaments (hello dd).
ACK. Umm... does gaining 90 pounds and having a 10.3# baby count? And I have REALLY loose ligaments. When I did physical therapy (for almost a year) after a car accident, they had a really hard time getting my muscles to stretch out, because I was "too flexible." I always thought that was weird because flexible was a good thing, right? But now it makes sense to me, and I've noticed it a lot more since I started paying attention. When I do stretches and stuff, it never stretches/pulls/whatever in the place where it's supposed to, no matter how far I stretch.

Yeah. Definitely going to have the midwife take more blood next week for thyroid stuff. What all do I need to check? I know TSH, free T-3, free T-4, reverse T-3, reverse T-4, ..... what else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
ETA: Does anyone else have this dream? You have the connections & the $$$ to get the differing experts in a room to discuss your case. They do their tests, take a case history (all together) and then figure out a course of treatment?
Only every.fricking.day. I guess that would be more of a daydream then, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Had to force DS to get his blood drawn today at the osteo. Holy cow, it was horrible.
Have you tried Rescue Remedy or aconite for him before (and after) a blood draw?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#302 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the opinions on the VitaMix/BlendTec. WOw, you guys are really talking about some good stuff. I've gotta go back and read carefully here. You girls just absolutely rock!

Celebrating myself at my get-off-my-b*tt accomplishment for the day: I FINALLY made green juice!

Seriously, I bought this thing, I don't even know how long ago, and I kept putting it off because I needed to sit down and figure out how the thing works. Well, my sweet mechanical engineer of a son looked at it, (I had gotten everything out and was going to watch the video again that Pat sent me), and he just immediately put it right together and saw how it worked. (I totally do not have his gift!) So, we made juice together and it was SO much fun! And easy! And I can't believe I havent been doing this all along!

So, my only question, do I need to go slow at first with the green juice? (Like some other things ya'll talk about needing to go slow for detox reasons?) Because it's so refreshing, and now that I've figured it out I wanna keep doing it!
#303 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 12:12 AM

If you want to just jump in, go for it. I got a headache within a few hours, that was my sign that this isn't a great plan for me, but I seem to be in the minority. Did you drink some today? What time, and how do you feel? (except I'm going to bed now, I'll read your answer in the morning ).

Hi CS, glad to hear from you again.

Jane, forgot to quote. More and more I am thinking that fixing this stuff sometimes takes a lot more than nutrients and stuff to get metals (or whatever your (eta: "your" in the more general sense, not specifically you, Jane) issue is) fixed. I wonder how much homeopathy can do? I'm sure it's a case-by-case basis, but it seems to fix things in funky efficiency/utilization-type ways.

Good night everyone, one more piece of brownie for me, some light reading, and melatonin to sleep (less than I used to take, I'm successfully tapering the kids down too... not sure where we'll level out right now, but I think I'm down to less than 2mg... given that I was taking 8 mg in January, that's a win).
#304 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 01:42 AM

I have the Starr book on order, but it sounds like the issue isn't an underproducing thyroid, but rather a problem getting the thyroid hormones where they need to go and doing what they need to do? I know adrenal is a piece of that, and there are some mutations in the Yasko stuff that cause issues there. Also several mutations that can impact mitochondrial function. As soon as I get and read the Starr book, I'll see if I can piece that together with Yasko.

Shannon, you mentioned cell membrane stuff, what's up with that? Cell membrane fluidity is a huge deal for Yasko stuff, particularly for people with ACAT and VDR-Fok mutations. If you don't digest/metabolize fats well, your cell membranes can get "stiff" from lacking fat molecules. If that sounds relevant, I'll go dig up the list of "fluid membrane" nutrients. Eggs are killer high in a good number of them... DS tests well for mito type markers, and I think pastured eggs are a good chunk of the reason why.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#305 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
eta: definitely have mucin arms..are they supposed to go away with proper treatment?
Yup
Quote:
So then does Starr think that the other guy is off base? Goes too far? Does Starr not think that everyone has hashimotos?

ETA: Does anyone else have this dream? You have the connections & the $$$ to get the differing experts in a room to discuss your case. They do their tests, take a case history (all together) and then figure out a course of treatment?
Starr is taking specific mito issues, that present with hypo symptoms, and *defining* that as hypo type 2. So it's completely separate to hashi's, another issue altogether.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Yep, those are perfect!!! Your husband is normal just like the book. I also came across the other day that more women than men are hypoT b/c testosterone increases thyroid or something like that.
Betcha THAT'S why I felt better almost as soon as I got pg again - ds is a BOY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Anyone pinch their kids' arms? Kid arms are so little, wonder if they're easier/harder to pinch the skin (w/o actually pinching, of course). DS was, of course, wearing a thick, long-sleeved top from last winter (that's too small and he didn't want to admit it) but I need to check his arm too.

Jane, are kid arms supposed to be the same with regard to mucin?
Yeah, both dd and ds are similar to me, though the amount I'm pinching is smaller. They definitely don't have the loose skin feel that dh does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Still can't quote anyone. And apparently everything comes out as one big paragraph too.... oh well. Beggars can't be choosers. So I just pinched DD1's arm (she's in bed doing her homework) and she was like "WHAT are you doing?" as I ran back to the computer.... her's is just like mine (same body type too). Can you be hypoT that young? I have to get out a thyroid book when I take my icky Tamoxifen book back to the library tomorrow.
Starr's book has a bunch of stuff about infants and kids and hypo. So yeah, most def.
Quote:
The older medical literature on children is mostly focused on really severe hypothyroidism where the child looks, well, malformed. I think most of us mamas here with hypoT symptoms are dealing with children where there is only a lesser degree of impairment not 100% thyroid malfunction. Which would make sense if you think the idea of thyroid cellular resistance makes sense.

There is a lot of discussion in Starr's book about how this resistance is usually passed on from the mother and he gave a genetic explanation why involving the mitochondria I believe. Shannon's probably reading that right now and will pipe up. When he diagnosed children he always looked at the mother and the connection was clear.

As I wrote above there is a short case study in Starr's book about a young child from modern day (I think 4yo) with ASD and mucin and digestive issues and I forget what else (book went back to library). He looks healthy but obviously was not. I wouldn't be surprised at a major thyroid resistant - ASD connection right now. There are a few studies on frank low thyroid blood values and ASD.
I went and looked at dd's baby pics and compared them to the ones in the book. Big fat oops. Talk about mama guilt! Yeah, she's absolutely positively got the 'look'.

How this is passed on through mom:
The mitochondria in our cells have their own DNA. They're like their own little entity. Almost like their own little bacteria living in our cells. When a cell multiplies and divides, the mitochondria do the same. When a sperm fertilizes an egg, it sticks its DNA in the nucleus, but the egg supplies the rest of the cell body, including the mitochondria. So everyone has their mother's mitochondrial DNA. They even use it to track genealogy.

Now, the interesting stuff from the mito conference that Susan Owens posted to her groups talks about the mitochondria evolving in your body, depending on what stresses you put or don't put on it. Its like there's a whole world in there, with mutations and natural selection and everything. And the mitochondria in one part of your body can (and does) evolve to look different than in another part, due to the different use. Remember, they all originated from that one egg. Mind blowing. Makes me want to read Madeleine L'Engle again! But first get a major workout in

Kind of OT, but this reminded me, when I was reading vitaminK a couple years ago, she was moving kids from lugols to potassium iodide (I think) because of something to do with one causing more thyroid problems. Like the iodide pushed T4->T3 but the iodine did the opposite? One of many things on my list to go back and read!
Quote:
I was just reading a thread on language regionalism and it must have inspired the phrase "cool beans." But I don't know where I first heard that, I didn't use it growing up and I don't use it now, but it sounded fun.
Mmm brownies... My aunt says cool beans. Is it a Texas thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Yeah. Definitely going to have the midwife take more blood next week for thyroid stuff. What all do I need to check? I know TSH, free T-3, free T-4, reverse T-3, reverse T-4, ..... what else?
That's the thing with this mito/type 2 stuff. It's about the symptoms, not the tests. There is a chapter on lab tests, but I haven't digested it yet.

I have a doctors appointment on the 30th. I think I'm going to ask for some labs before then so we can have the results there. Looking at the Armour list, there are a couple of other Stanford docs (one endocrinologist) that use it. I bet if she doesn't want to do so herself, she'd happily give me a referral

There. Caught up. I hope. To bed!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#306 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 AM

Keeping me up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
I have the Starr book on order, but it sounds like the issue isn't an underproducing thyroid, but rather a problem getting the thyroid hormones where they need to go and doing what they need to do? I know adrenal is a piece of that, and there are some mutations in the Yasko stuff that cause issues there. Also several mutations that can impact mitochondrial function. As soon as I get and read the Starr book, I'll see if I can piece that together with Yasko.

Shannon, you mentioned cell membrane stuff, what's up with that? Cell membrane fluidity is a huge deal for Yasko stuff, particularly for people with ACAT and VDR-Fok mutations. If you don't digest/metabolize fats well, your cell membranes can get "stiff" from lacking fat molecules. If that sounds relevant, I'll go dig up the list of "fluid membrane" nutrients. Eggs are killer high in a good number of them... DS tests well for mito type markers, and I think pastured eggs are a good chunk of the reason why.
The basic idea is that the number and size of mitochondria in your cells will determine your metabolism, and thyroid hormone is a/the major controller of that. Exercise appears to be another; and this is in contrast to the actual enzymes of krebs cycle and stuff. The pathways may be working perfectly (my guess: normal enzymes and normal metabolites and such), but if you only have a teeny tiny trail, it's not going to do you much good when what you need is a highway.

Somehow, and this is where I'm still hazy and want to read it all again, you can get in a rut to where you can't get the thyroid signal to the mitochondria, and so you don't produce enough hormone. Or something.

There are thyroid receptors both inside and outside the cell, and iirc, thyroid is a fat soluble hormone, which means it *should* be able to pass straight through the membrane.

Am I weird that it makes me smile that the issue of how does thyroid interact with mitochondria and your metabolism was one of my big questions when I was learning about arsenic in my guinea pig thread?

#307 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 AM

Couple thyroid related things from the Yasko forums... She often sees thyroid issues as a result of chronic gut bacteria (and depleted BH4 tends to go along with that, along with low dopamine & serotonin). Several moms on the forum with thyroid issues weaned off prescriptions by focusing on methylation (which includes Kreb's cycle & mito stuff in the Yasko world) and membrane fluidity. High estrogen can impair thyroid hormone production. Think that's all I found so far.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#308 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 02:39 AM

One last thing to get off my head - Starr mentions that increasing thyroid hormone can increase need for nutrients. And that would make sense, as your body ramps up, it would need the tools to do so.

#309 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
If you want to just jump in, go for it. I got a headache within a few hours, that was my sign that this isn't a great plan for me, but I seem to be in the minority. Did you drink some today? What time, and how do you feel? (except I'm going to bed now, I'll read your answer in the morning ).
I feel great actually. have been having a lot of cravings lately (carb, sweet, and salty) and those were actually reduced. I actually felt pretty good. But I juiced an ENTIRE giant bunch of swiss chard, 2 apples, several carrots, and one whole lemon. I didn't drink all of that, but probably about 1/3 of it. My older son had some too. And then there was some leftover that I put in fridge with an air-tight lid. I was going to drink it later this afternoon, but then I thought, hmm wonder if I am supposed to go slow on this.

Now tonight I am reading some stuff that says don't juice the stronger greens like chard and kale, but I thought that w as the whole point, for the folate and all the good nutrients in the dark leafy greens.
#310 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Yes, maybe you need more crack... uh thyroid hormone!
Mucin leaving the body is the sign they used that treatment is working. And given that it can infiltrate the rest of your body and cause wide ranging sx, I'd want it gone.

Thankfully I don't have THAT doctor anymore!
Yeah, I was hearing that it's not a good thing.
Started my vitamins again finally tonight. Out of some things, including zinc, but can't remember what else so going to find my thread so I can place an order.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#311 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 08:34 AM

I'm wondering if my kids might have hypo issues. Just because of the whole growth thing. However, I think DD has multiple problems. I'm pretty convinced she has sensory integration issues. Especially around the social aspects. It's making me very sad right now b/c its really impacting her ability to have friends.

Did anyone else notice in Starr's book how thyroid treatment was conducive to getting married? Seems all the women treated went on to get married right away.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#312 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Now tonight I am reading some stuff that says don't juice the stronger greens like chard and kale, but I thought that w as the whole point, for the folate and all the good nutrients in the dark leafy greens.
Check an online list for oxalates, some greens have lots and at least some people wouldn't choose those--they'd choose other leafy green stuff, just not some specific ones. In general, I've read some folks recommend to only juice stuff that it's reasonable to eat raw--some things seem to be better for us cooked, don't remember what chemical(s) they're concerned about there. There have got to be some juicing and/or smoothie threads in Nutrition, eh? I remember reading discussions on what to juice/throw into a smoothie, and what not to--obviously I didn't retain it all that well, but Search and I think you'll find helpful stuff.

If you feel good, that's a great sign. I didn't feel better, I just got a headache. And despite what Mirzam said, I wouldn't start with cilantro, just the regular green stuff seems like a good place to start to me.
#313 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Did anyone else notice in Starr's book how thyroid treatment was conducive to getting married? Seems all the women treated went on to get married right away.
Wait... what? Ok, I really need to read this book. Come on library holds...

#314 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering if my kids might have hypo issues. Just because of the whole growth thing. However, I think DD has multiple problems. I'm pretty convinced she has sensory integration issues. Especially around the social aspects. It's making me very sad right now b/c its really impacting her ability to have friends.

Yup

That's part of why I pulled dd from preschool - if she's getting reactions that make it a scary place for her, how, exactly is that supposed to make her less scared of people? And if I put the health stuff on long term hold, (as if I could control it!) how does that improve the situation? OH, speaking of which, she got 2 drops of b12 yesterday morning, and was somewhat playing with other kids, strangers, in the afternoon! Coincidence? Probably...

On the thyroid topic, your thyroid totally affects how you use nutrients, and I've seen a lot of connections between sensory stuff and nutrients. So there's the possibility that the multiple issues are just multiple manifestations.

Is it too late for a thyroid thread?

One part I want to examine is causes, effects, and nasty cycles. Like if low thyroid causes you to accumulate metals, and then those metals keep you low. And how this all relates to my pancreas. And I'm willing to bet that lack of exercise is as major a contributor as 'bad genes' not getting weeded out due to modern medicine. But then there's that cycle again, not enough exercise -> not enough energy to exercise.

Why do the kids have to wake me up then promptly go back to sleep? :yawning

#315 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
ACK. Umm... does gaining 90 pounds and having a 10.3# baby count? And I have REALLY loose ligaments.
ding, ding, ding!
Quote:
Tests here but also do the basal body test. I was just reading again that the best times for women are the 2nd and 3rd day of their cycle. Otherwise it can fluctuate normally between 97.5 and 98.5 (normal BBT is 97.8 to 98.2) due to ovulation temp rise and such.

Although for those of us in the 96's it really doesn't make much difference!

Quote:
Jane, forgot to quote. More and more I am thinking that fixing this stuff sometimes takes a lot more than nutrients and stuff to get metals (or whatever your (eta: "your" in the more general sense, not specifically you, Jane) issue is) fixed. I wonder how much homeopathy can do? I'm sure it's a case-by-case basis, but it seems to fix things in funky efficiency/utilization-type ways.
I hear you totally. And I admit I need fixing. Maybe I'm just giving up on the metals and homeopathy for now b/c it's just not available to us for various reasons, I'll admit that too!

When traditional medicine says the thyroid controls detox I certainly want to believe it at this point since so many other things make perfect sense in our situation. I'm feeling like the past 5 years of intensive healing and nutrient loading was our chance and I'm just so done with that approach.

Not that I'm not going to still be a nutritional junkie. Awaiting a new B supplement with salivatory excitement!
http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/product/Max-Stress-B

Quote:
Somehow, and this is where I'm still hazy and want to read it all again, you can get in a rut to where you can't get the thyroid signal to the mitochondria, and so you don't produce enough hormone. Or something.

There are thyroid receptors both inside and outside the cell, and iirc, thyroid is a fat soluble hormone, which means it *should* be able to pass straight through the membrane.

Am I weird that it makes me smile that the issue of how does thyroid interact with mitochondria and your metabolism was one of my big questions when I was learning about arsenic in my guinea pig thread?
Yes, and we like that kind of weird.

Starr said that mito defects can cause the thyroid hormone not to get into the cell, or if it can get in, the cell can't use it. Thus the cells can't signal back to the hypothalamus that it needs MORE thyroid hormone b/c it's not getting very much in the first place. So blood levels stay "normal".

Quote:

and I think both Broda Barnes *and* Suzanne Somers has called it the beauty hormone!

Quote:
In general, I've read some folks recommend to only juice stuff that it's reasonable to eat raw--some things seem to be better for us cooked, don't remember what chemical(s) they're concerned about there.
goitrogens that block iodine and thus block thyroid hormone, so no raw spinach:

http://www.westonaprice.org/abcs-of-...the-cross.html

Quote:
Is it too late for a thyroid thread?

One part I want to examine is causes, effects, and nasty cycles. Like if low thyroid causes you to accumulate metals, and then those metals keep you low. And how this all relates to my pancreas. And I'm willing to bet that lack of exercise is as major a contributor as 'bad genes' not getting weeded out due to modern medicine. But then there's that cycle again, not enough exercise -> not enough energy to exercise.
I know, we really should do another thread. I thought of that 2 days ago but couldn't stop myself.

H&H or Allergies?
#316 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Starr is taking specific mito issues, that present with hypo symptoms, and *defining* that as hypo type 2. So it's completely separate to hashi's, another issue altogether.
But Dr. K's contention is that *most* hypothyroidism is actually hashi's in disguise. I'm just not sure how to make all this jibe since my tests are mostly normal and they all say that tests don't matter its just symptoms.

Well if I have the symptoms how am I supposed to know if its hypo type 2 vs. hashi's vs. reverset3 disease vs. something else if my tests are all normal?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#317 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:

and I think both Broda Barnes *and* Suzanne Somers has called it the beauty hormone!
I'm not kidding. Some of those women looked great in the after pictures. And probably actually ahd some energy to put out.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#318 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 AM

Library today. What's the name of this book again? Not that I've managed to read even one of the books I got last week, but...
Ordered Hyland's bioplasma last night.
Took a B12 last night. Ended up totally wired and awake until almost 2am, then DS3 woke up and decided that he was awake too. <Insert crooked mouthed but not exactly irked smiley here.> So, I was up til 3ish then slept on the new couch with ds3 til ds1 got up at 6am when I went back to bed for an hour. I guess I'll have to take my 2nd one in the afternoon rather than evening if I'm going to increase it. Bleh. I hate 3x's/day dosing.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#319 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
ACK. Umm... does gaining 90 pounds and having a 10.3# baby count? And I have REALLY loose ligaments. When I did physical therapy (for almost a year) after a car accident, they had a really hard time getting my muscles to stretch out, because I was "too flexible." I always thought that was weird because flexible was a good thing, right? But now it makes sense to me, and I've noticed it a lot more since I started paying attention. When I do stretches and stuff, it never stretches/pulls/whatever in the place where it's supposed to, no matter how far I stretch.

I've been following this thread with interest (and dismay). I will have to get my hands on this book, although it's not in any of our libraries or extended library system so Amazon may get a few $ from me.

I'm tall, thin, gained 50+ lbs with DS and he was 8lbs 10oz. I have been super flexible but not in the right places. When the rolfer and PT said I was tight, it didn't make sense, because I've always been able to reach beyond my toes...SO many other pieces of the puzzle fit for me.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#320 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
But Dr. K's contention is that *most* hypothyroidism is actually hashi's in disguise. I'm just not sure how to make all this jibe since my tests are mostly normal and they all say that tests don't matter its just symptoms.

Well if I have the symptoms how am I supposed to know if its hypo type 2 vs. hashi's vs. reverset3 disease vs. something else if my tests are all normal?
The second half of the book talks about when you don't have antibodies, though. I want to go through and read that one again now, its on the shelf!

Part of it, though, is does it matter? Isn't treatment mostly the same (hormones) whether it's autoimmune or type 2 or what? There's the extra autoimmune support stuff, but that seems like good stuff to be doing anyway...
Quote:
When traditional medicine says the thyroid controls detox I certainly want to believe it at this point since so many other things make perfect sense in our situation. I'm feeling like the past 5 years of intensive healing and nutrient loading was our chance and I'm just so done with that approach.

Starr said that mito defects can cause the thyroid hormone not to get into the cell, or if it can get in, the cell can't use it. Thus the cells can't signal back to the hypothalamus that it needs MORE thyroid hormone b/c it's not getting very much in the first place. So blood levels stay "normal".

I know, we really should do another thread. I thought of that 2 days ago but couldn't stop myself.

H&H or Allergies?
I figure all this nutrient loading is necessary - with increased mito action, nutrient requirements increase, and so any deficiencies will be exacerbated. It's all groundwork

Okay, he's saying that bum DNA means we need extra hormone to get the same signal across. He talks about new DNA damage, but not evolution. And talks about how for some people, it might not be the mitochondria, but the receptors. I want to take a look at other things that are necessary for DNA transcription (vits A and D, perhaps) and that angle. My numbers are off just enough (still within range) to think that I could still make use of some nutritional stuff, especially A. And iodine. And selenium. And sodium and potassium and...

Your choice where to put a thread. Are you going to copy and paste all this awesome conversation?

#321 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 12:35 PM

I totally use the term coolbeans.

I read back a few pages but not enough, what are mucin arms?

dd is totally screwed up again.

Karen
#322 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
I totally use the term coolbeans.

I read back a few pages but not enough, what are mucin arms?

dd is totally screwed up again.

Karen

Mucin arms are a sign of hypoT:
http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/thyroid.php

All this thyroid stuff is congealing in my head. I might see another video (series) coming. Talking things out and explaining them helps me so much more than writing them...

#323 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
The second half of the book talks about when you don't have antibodies, though. I want to go through and read that one again now, its on the shelf!

Part of it, though, is does it matter? Isn't treatment mostly the same (hormones) whether it's autoimmune or type 2 or what? There's the extra autoimmune support stuff, but that seems like good stuff to be doing anyway...

It seems like it does matter b/c its a bigger puzzle to figure out. Like you need to do blah blah blah before taking hormones. I actually haven't finished the book so I'm not entirely sure. But from what I've read, the treatment for Hashi's isn't necessarily more hormone.

I figure all this nutrient loading is necessary - with increased mito action, nutrient requirements increase, and so any deficiencies will be exacerbated. It's all groundwork

Okay, he's saying that bum DNA means we need extra hormone to get the same signal across. He talks about new DNA damage, but not evolution. And talks about how for some people, it might not be the mitochondria, but the receptors. I want to take a look at other things that are necessary for DNA transcription (vits A and D, perhaps) and that angle. My numbers are off just enough (still within range) to think that I could still make use of some nutritional stuff, especially A. And iodine. And selenium. And sodium and potassium and...

Your choice where to put a thread. Are you going to copy and paste all this awesome conversation?
So if you have blocked receptors that is the theory of the reverse T3 people, right? That the reverse T3 is blocking the receptors and you need to get rid of it at the receptors so that the T3 can get in there instead.

What does he say you should do for blocked receptors?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#324 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 03:07 PM

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.co...ave-found.html

looks like a mitochondria-targeted antioxidant helps delay aging

#325 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 03:42 PM

I am totally ignoring the thyroid convo right now, lalalala...
BUT, could you please c&p all this to the new thread and link the new thread here so I can find it when I decide to not ignore you?
I am thinking a huge part of our issues is candida. DD1 has chronic yeasties these days....always has, in fact.

Mamafish, (or anyone else) I have a ???: A year ago, I tried dd on methyl b12 and she went really wonky so I assumed that it wasn't good for her. Now I am wondering if that wasn't a sign that she was really super low? She began wetting the bed immediately after and has wet the bed practically every night since (back in pullups from being completely out of any wetting helps). I think the MB12 did that, but not sure what steps to take to fix it? (And so SO ready [as is she] for this to not be an issue anymore!)

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#326 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 03:49 PM

So after 3 years of being gluten free my mother just took DS to the local store and fed him some of her sandwich. She "forgot". And she wants us to go away from a weekend and leave her in charge of the kids. Yeah, right.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#327 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:

My conclusion is that "most CONVENTIONALLY DIAGNOSED hypoT's with out of range blood tests" could be mostly Hashi's. I don't think it applies to the HypoType2 people.

Well reverse T3 is shown on blood tests (and btw I think I screwed up your ratio numbers b/c it was dl vs. ml wasn't it?)

And it seems to me that traditional thyroid treatment with natural hormones gets by all that. It seems to me that Broda Barnes and Mark Starr et al would have known if they had a problem treating patients with hypoT sx.

Actually Starr did say that he saw some people who didn't tolerate thyroid hormone because "they were too toxic". And he does mention some need for adrenal support. And companion nutrients (selenium, zinc, iron, mag. the usual suspects)... so it seems to me that whatever the specialized diagnosis of the day these are the ways around it.

Quote:
I'm not kidding. Some of those women looked great in the after pictures. And probably actually ahd some energy to put out.
put out and keep house!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
I've been following this thread with interest (and dismay)...SO many other pieces of the puzzle fit for me.
I went through the stages of grief about this I think in the past few months. Esp. with respect to DS. Now I'm like.... bring on the hormones baby!

Quote:
Yes, you are right... I meant it in the way of thinking "if I could just find the right combo of nutrients DS and I will finally heal all these issues". I will still be nutrient loading big time, but my expectations have changed ykwim?

Quote:
Yes I can try to do that. I just mostly finished my work for the day and my client loves it, THANK GOODNESS.

Quote:
http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.co...ave-found.html

looks like a mitochondria-targeted antioxidant helps delay aging
Totally cool. I've been on the acai bandwagon lately too. It might be doing something. But it hasn't turned me into a "ready to put out and clean the house every day hot tamale" yet.

Quote:
So after 3 years of being gluten free my mother just took DS to the local store and fed him some of her sandwich. She "forgot". And she wants us to go away from a weekend and leave her in charge of the kids. Yeah, right.
ACK! so much for vacationing before you are 60.
#328 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 04:19 PM

Oh and speaking of antioxidants, I decided I wanted to supp vitamin e lately for my high CRP.

Found this cool product from rice:
http://www.iherb.com/Quantum-Nutriti...0-g/24363?at=0

the description sounded good to me!

Quote:
Maximum Energy, Stamina and Pancreas Support ... The Super Nutrient Formula of Champions
Awaiting delivery any minute now...
#329 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 04:24 PM

Just got back, need to do some catching up with the thread. DS sat nicely, I think they were relieved when I said I didn't want to try to get x-rays of my 4-year old. But he sat nicely for the cleaning, the dentist doesn't chat much about alignment. I hadn't realized that DS has a crossbite, the canines (forgot the better term for them) aren't in front of the bottom teeth.

Oh, and want to hear a funny? It was when we arrived at the dentist that I realized that DS didn't put on underwear today. Great, but well, who's going to know? Made a bathroom visit, then I sat down flipping through a magazine, then he makes a funny noise, with a funny look on his face... says he's pooping. WHAT?!? He's 4! I pick him up and rush to the bathroom, put him on his feet (his legs are sorta splayed)... and poop falls out, onto the floor. Nicely formed, nice color. But really?!? Strip him, set him on the toilet, and I look at the shorts... they seem fine. I think the poop barely touched on its way bouncing out. Wouldn't have been possible if he'd been wearing underwear.

How's that for weird silver linings?
#330 of 755 Old 09-17-2010, 04:44 PM

Oh my gosh Tanya- that is hilarious, in a really not funny way.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page