Sassy September Chat Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So CS, if DD has been nursing 1-2x a day, and you've been eating all this stuff that's off limits for her - has she gotten any worse? Because if she hasn't, that seems like important information...

No idea on the glucose meters - I had the same reaction you did in the drugstore. I also know that when I've monitored my glucose in the past, I can feel wretched, and like I'm "crashing", and be craving sugar, and my glucose still tests in normal ranges. So at this point, I'm watching symptoms for DS and I. The sleep changing that fast was not what I expected - but when I think back, his best sleep periods have been when we were working hard to feed him often (and not using fruit & larabars for snacks).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#422 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Yeah, but my milk is totally gone. She might have been getting a drip or two for a while, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing now.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#423 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Very cool Deb. Speaking of blood sugar... I was thinking about getting a glucose meter, so I could keep an eye on things through this pregnancy (I'm not doing the GD test.) Any favorites? I looked at the drugstore yesterday, and they were ALL on sale... so I couldn't make a decision. And didn't know what all the lingo meant.

So I think I'm really, REALLY ready for some real cheese (damn you, Daiya.) And yogurt. And cream cheese. And butter for my popcorn. You get the picture. Do you think that me trialing dairy for the first time in 2-1/2 years would be a really bad idea during pregnancy? The other thing is that DD is still nursing 1-2 times per day (although she didn't ask at all yesterday- hoping that is a trend! ), and eventually my milk is going to come back in.... which means I'll be right back on the crazy restrictive diet. Then I'll have to drop dairy again, after getting addicted.
I wish blood sugar were the easy answer for us and sleep. We've actually been doing well lately, with last night to remind me how bad it used to be :yawning

Glucose meters - you can get any of them for basically free. Look at the prices of test strips, cause they're crazy expensive (like almost a dollar each) and go from there. And for the primer on blood sugar, www.bloodsugar101.com.

I did kefir while pg. Never got up the nerve for cheese and stuff. Still haven't really re-trialed it post-ds, though I have some waiting in the freezer.

Now how do I salvage today?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#424 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 02:39 PM

Still paying for my weekend infractions (ice cream and birthday cake). I can NOT seem to wake up today and have had absolutely no energy for the last few days, though I've dragged myself through them anyway. You'd think I'd know better.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#425 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Very cool Deb. Speaking of blood sugar... I was thinking about getting a glucose meter, so I could keep an eye on things through this pregnancy (I'm not doing the GD test.) Any favorites? I looked at the drugstore yesterday, and they were ALL on sale... so I couldn't make a decision. And didn't know what all the lingo meant.

So I think I'm really, REALLY ready for some real cheese (damn you, Daiya.) And yogurt. And cream cheese. And butter for my popcorn. You get the picture. Do you think that me trialing dairy for the first time in 2-1/2 years would be a really bad idea during pregnancy? The other thing is that DD is still nursing 1-2 times per day (although she didn't ask at all yesterday- hoping that is a trend! ), and eventually my milk is going to come back in.... which means I'll be right back on the crazy restrictive diet. Then I'll have to drop dairy again, after getting addicted.
I have a closet full of meters. Let me know if you want one.

And I've found it much cheaper to get strips on ebay. That's where I get mine.

And ditto what Deb said about feeling crappy but blood sugar readings still within normal.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#426 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I have a closet full of meters. Let me know if you want one.
They seem pretty cheap... probably not worth paying to ship, but thanks though. And I have to ask... why do you have a closet full of meters?

#427 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Still paying for my weekend infractions (ice cream and birthday cake). I can NOT seem to wake up today and have had absolutely no energy for the last few days, though I've dragged myself through them anyway. You'd think I'd know better.
Man, now I want cake & ice cream. I'm feeling crappy & I didn't even have any.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#428 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Man, now I want cake & ice cream. I'm feeling crappy & I didn't even have any.
Yeah. I'm thinking it may actually have more to do with me being sick than paying for transgressions.
DS2 and DS3 have been up every hour on the hour for the last 2 nights. DS2 started coughing last night and puked on himself this morning. DS1 is coughing all over the place and gagging. My throat is sore and I feel nauseated. So it's probably just my immune system trying to fight off whatever is trying to get me.

eta: and DS2 has cold sores too. Poor guy

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#429 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
And I've found it much cheaper to get strips on ebay. That's where I get mine.

And ditto what Deb said about feeling crappy but blood sugar readings still within normal.
ebay. Good idea!

I've had a couple times I felt awful and my blood sugar tested really low, and other times (post sugar) I felt predictably awful, and nothing interesting on the meter. Still really useful to know what your numbers are, imo, and it can be used to see if you're reacting to a food. Ideal is in the 80s for fasting, and only about a 10pt rise or so, post meal. I think I'm remembering that right...

So hydroxy B12 drops give dd a great/intense day, day of, then an awful awful awful day the next day. How can I plow through in the least painful way possible? My brain is mush. Everyone's miserable today

You all make me feel like we don't get sick enough. We're usually sick 1-4 times during cold season, but not much for the rest of the year. Is that a clue for anything?

eta: hugs for you and yours, jr, poor babies! poor mama!

#430 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM

Anyone needing a laugh today needs to watch this. There are actually 3 videos.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7148143/

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#431 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
You all make me feel like we don't get sick enough. We're usually sick 1-4 times during cold season, but not much for the rest of the year. Is that a clue for anything?
DD doesn't ever get sick. Like never. She's never had a fever, she's never had anything more than a 24-hour runny nose. But obviously, her immune system is in crazy overdrive. I rarely get sick anymore, but for me that's an improvement because I used to always be sick.

#432 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just read that vinegar is often gmo-corn based. Canola is all gmo, unless organic.

so, that includes about any salad dressing is gmo-corn vinegar, do doubt.

And did you see the FDA isn't going to allow "No-GMO products" on labels?

Pat

I have a blog.
#433 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Still trying to catch up..

I'd be concerned about supp-ing iron, swinging too high isn't good (it's one of the few, along with copper, that I'd want to really be sure was needed before I did a trial with it). I forget, are you already gluten-free? I'd probably cut gluten if you haven't already and add in cell salts, bioplasma (the 12-in-1) and maybe ferr phos? Get a copy (if you don't have one already) of The Biochemic Handbook, same place the cell salts are sold (long thread in H&H about cell salts), the book's just $4. Helps with utilization/absorption of nutrients. Sounds too good to be true but I was able to halve the amount of zinc I give the kids due to start these (and I notice recurrence of symptoms when I slack on the bioplasma). Coolest stuff.

For B12, mamafish's site for liquid B12, holistic heal, is inexpensive and easy to dose, I'd start with hydroxy B12. One bottle has lots of drops, so the bottle isn't cheap, but it'll last a long time.
I am going to implement every suggestion in this post after I come back from India on Jan 4th ...I am leaving on Oct 8th (for 3 long months....).
We talked to an allergist in India and he recommended a slow innoculation of sorts by introducing wheat and milk in my diet in slow amounts periodically.... something like the low allergen dose method and I have restarted dairy in my diet a bit (basically I cheat every other day by having a small amount of dairy - and also wheat - in my diet).

On another note .... can I physically "heal" her gut lining by making her drink small amounts of aloe vera juice every day? Is there any harm in giving her aloe vera? She is 15.5 mos old. I am also planning on having her lick a bit of turmeric every day. Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory and healing properties.

Am I totally batty?
#434 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Why does my computer screen have blood on it, you ask? Because of the mosquito I just killed. Whose blood? Probably mine. I have mixed feelings when I kill them too late.

Quote:
I need some help. I need a snack bar that has good nutrition for DS & DD. Any thoughts?

Also, I make the blender pancakes that are always talked about but they are heavy carb. How can I make them better? I can't use almond flour.
If you can do eggs, I'd do the simple pancakes that are a banana, an egg or two and some sort of nut butter (whichever you can do, if you can do any). Was the recipe on Mark's Daily Apple, or sonofgrok.com? I could look it up if you can do eggs.

Quote:
You have no idea (or maybe you do) how much I wanted a Coke today. It's all I could think about, sometimes I had a hard time following conversations because I just wanted a hit. I mean, a sip. Oh my goodness.

Long day here, trying to catch up a bit with chat but still behind, I just skimmed.

Blessed Mom, I don't know anything about internal consumption of aloe vera. Turmeric doesn't seem like it would hurt, seems like good stuff. The "building up tolerance" approach to intolerances hasn't been the approach for us--well, I never tried it but based on changes I've seen, I don't think it would've worked--it seems a bit odd, in that it doesn't seem to address the original reason for the intolerance. But if you can improve her digestion in other ways, then maybe.
#435 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 PM

*mutters*
I just realized my subscription expired! Which means I've probably lost a bunch of messages.

#436 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
It's all I could think about, sometimes I had a hard time following conversations because I just wanted a hit. I mean, a sip. Oh my goodness.
That is SO me with cheese lately. Just one bite... just one tiny bite... we don't have to tell anyone.... I'll be able to stop whenever I want....

#437 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 PM

Ugh no internet for past several days... bill wasn't paid!!

I hope you solved everything in meantime.
#438 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
Jane - I keep on hoping I will see you at Rosen's office, but I don't know what you look like, so I always listen for the name Jane.
like my avatar! Except I have been wearing my contacts usually. I don't have good spatial recognition with my glasses for driving and I tend to like... drive into the side of the garage door... ooops!

Also DS is "Ruffles the Dog" now at every visit so will be easy to recognize him.

Quote:
Whole Foods has a canola version of mayonaise. But its not organic so might be GMO canola.
Delouis Fils at WF is sooooo good but expensive. I think it's sunflower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
So I'll post this to the thyroid thread as well, but for those of you who have sleep issues, or kids with sleep issues...

We've been following Dr. K's rules to manage blood sugar (hypoglycemia = sugar cravings, not the insulin resistance stuff).
Interesting. DS usually eats like this. He eats a ridiculous amount of fat but I think carbs still effect him. He rarely eats sugar and this week he had cookies for a snack and then today rice pasta (which I'm still not sure doesn't give him rashes we'll see) and he was MEAN. Like seriously not himself at all.

Did you read the "Victory over Diabetes" synopsis on Starr's thyroid book re: glucose tolerance? So interesting. I need to read again to understand it. I'm po'd b/c that page was on google books last week and now its not!

Will get to thyroid thread tomorrow, on target for getting to bed EARLY tonight :crossfingers:
#439 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 PM

I have been eating small amounts of dairy this pregancy (yogurt, cheese -and icecream only twice), probably 3 servings a week. Even though it clearly mildly affected me, I thought (justified) that I needed food in my belly more than preventing a reaction. (I don't think Panser bought my justification. ) I decided to go off it now to get it out of my system before the baby comes. Boy, has it been hard.

We are mildly sick again. We seem to be having a cyclical virus and I'm tired of it and don't want to get it again. It is just 24-26 hours of cold/hot, exhaustion, mildly icky tummy (and intensity in the boys). We are fine for another 5-9 days and then we get it again. What can I do to stop this????

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#440 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
like my avatar! Except I have been wearing my contacts usually. I don't have good spatial recognition with my glasses for driving and I tend to like... drive into the side of the garage door... ooops!

Also DS is "Ruffles the Dog" now at every visit so will be easy to recognize him.

No freaking way. We were there on Monday when you were there. Nooooooooo. I can't believe I missed you.

I had the two kids jumping on the chairs.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#441 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
No freaking way. We were there on Monday when you were there. Nooooooooo. I can't believe I missed you.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#442 of 755 Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Making oatmeal creme sandwich cookies tonight with the leftover icing from DS1's birthday cake. DS1 tasted them and was like "these are SO GOOD! Can you make them ALL like this?!"

#443 of 755 Old 09-23-2010, 03:34 AM

shoot.
somehow i missed it.

#444 of 755 Old 09-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post
I am going to implement every suggestion in this post after I come back from India on Jan 4th ...I am leaving on Oct 8th (for 3 long months....).
We talked to an allergist in India and he recommended a slow innoculation of sorts by introducing wheat and milk in my diet in slow amounts periodically.... something like the low allergen dose method and I have restarted dairy in my diet a bit (basically I cheat every other day by having a small amount of dairy - and also wheat - in my diet).

On another note .... can I physically "heal" her gut lining by making her drink small amounts of aloe vera juice every day? Is there any harm in giving her aloe vera? She is 15.5 mos old. I am also planning on having her lick a bit of turmeric every day. Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory and healing properties.

Am I totally batty?
The giving-them-a-little-each-day wouldn't have worked with my kids. Even a little would give them a reaction and keep their little bodies inflamed. I use AI Formula (Pure Encapsulations) which is turmeric and bromelain as anti-inflammatories. Licking turmeric though seems like it would cause burning. Can you figure out something she likes, and put a little turmeric in it instead?

Quote:
You have no idea (or maybe you do) how much I wanted a Coke today. It's all I could think about, sometimes I had a hard time following conversations because I just wanted a hit. I mean, a sip. Oh my goodness.
I have an idea. It's not like I used to drink that much soda. But I've been wanting Coke so much. The Mexican coke that you can get here now at least doesn't have corn syrup in it, but their caramel color is made from corn sugar... wish I didn't have all this other crap going on so I could test it... except it's sooo not on the new grocery budget. But yeah, I wish I had a coke or a ginger ale, or dr. pepper, or....

We each get sick 1-2 times a year. A puking virus maybe once every couple years. And a cold about once a year. We don't get sick that often. Though this year DD1 and DD2 had the month-long virus this summer besides the other 2. Unusual for us.

My hand is still burning from cutting up the hot peppers yesterday. DD1 claimed that her bagel made her lip burn/tingle because I'd touched it. DS says his stomach hurts and I can't figure out why or what to do about it. Oooh, just thought... maybe clay would help my fingers...

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#445 of 755 Old 09-23-2010, 08:58 AM

Hugs Kathy. When it rains it pours.

We get sick all the time. Not so much in the summer but in the winter, it seems likes someone is always sick. Last year I was sick the whole winter. Seems like I"m going backwards.

CS, I've heard that some people have "something" going on with their immune system, like an autoimmune condition, and that they don't get sick. Like their immune system is too busy & run down to recognize new germs so it never mounts a defense & just ignores them. Not sure what it means though.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#446 of 755 Old 09-23-2010, 10:00 AM

I have a totally OT question for you all.

On another board we are talking about children that are always hungry and seems to want to eat all the time. They never seem full. Is there something we can do to help them or anything?? My dd2 recently started to always be hungry but when I said you ate enough she stops.

Anyone can help or direct me to some links that would talk about this? I was thinking of the emzymes that someone talked about but I have no clue where to look.

TIA!!!

DD3 is still doing great with her allergies. (trying to keep it on topic) LOL

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#447 of 755 Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 PM

ugh.
my throat is sore into the back of my nose.

I was going to suggest Blue Sky or Hansen's soda but I think there was something corny in those too.

#448 of 755 Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 PM

JR

What about Izze? Or good old crystal geyser? or better yet, lactofermented ginger ale!

Putting together a supp order, and want to try out the yasko enzymes (they're actually cheaper than twinlabs). Anything else worth trying from yasko? Paying for shipping is no fun. Though the enzymes are *still* cheaper, even when you factor in shipping, so I shouldn't complain! I've got the b12 drops already (and will be getting more for my mom ). Wow, lactoferrin and bile salts seem crazy expensive through her, though.

#449 of 755 Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Hugs Kathy. When it rains it pours.

We get sick all the time. Not so much in the summer but in the winter, it seems likes someone is always sick. Last year I was sick the whole winter. Seems like I"m going backwards.
I think the two times that DS has either gotten sick the normal amount or, now, I think less than normal, are when his methylation is well-supported. Especially now, I'm wondering if we may have a really nice winter--it's normally our sick season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
I have a totally OT question for you all.

On another board we are talking about children that are always hungry and seems to want to eat all the time. They never seem full. Is there something we can do to help them or anything?? My dd2 recently started to always be hungry but when I said you ate enough she stops.

Anyone can help or direct me to some links that would talk about this? I was thinking of the emzymes that someone talked about but I have no clue where to look.

TIA!!!

DD3 is still doing great with her allergies. (trying to keep it on topic) LOL
Mine really seem to eat less when we eat more fat. And for a while near the beginning of our dietary changes, I think we were eating a very high fat diet. It's moderated some since then. One friend, locally, said her DD started craving and eating fewer eggs when they started buying higher quality eggs, so maybe for some kids it's a nutrient craving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
JR

What about Izze? Or good old crystal geyser? or better yet, lactofermented ginger ale!

Putting together a supp order, and want to try out the yasko enzymes (they're actually cheaper than twinlabs). Anything else worth trying from yasko? Paying for shipping is no fun. Though the enzymes are *still* cheaper, even when you factor in shipping, so I shouldn't complain! I've got the b12 drops already (and will be getting more for my mom ). Wow, lactoferrin and bile salts seem crazy expensive through her, though.
I can't think of anything that I buy that you'd want. I am planning, once we run out of what we've got, to look for a cheaper grapeseed extract and see if anyone else sells sphingolin and ora placenta, but I don't think you'd even want re-myelination supps. You think you need the higher doses of pancreatin? Or is it some other ingredient that you want more of? And if you've already got B12, then, well, nothing I can think of.
#450 of 755 Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I think the two times that DS has either gotten sick the normal amount or, now, I think less than normal, are when his methylation is well-supported. Especially now, I'm wondering if we may have a really nice winter--it's normally our sick season.

I can't think of anything that I buy that you'd want. I am planning, once we run out of what we've got, to look for a cheaper grapeseed extract and see if anyone else sells sphingolin and ora placenta, but I don't think you'd even want re-myelination supps. You think you need the higher doses of pancreatin? Or is it some other ingredient that you want more of? And if you've already got B12, then, well, nothing I can think of.
A connection... B12 seems to be a biggie for us for gut stuff, but the methyl cycle isn't a weak point. Maybe that's why we're not getting sick - not cause we don't need the B12, but because that's not the weak genetic link? Which is interesting... Why do you say no on re-myelination supps for us? Cause I've been giving dd B12, and she's been getting major bad reactions followed by making some huge cognitive leaps. I can't help but assume they're related, and it makes me wonder about her nerves.

And what's the connection between B12 and thyroid? I know there is one...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page