Sassy September Chat Thread - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 755 Old 09-23-2010, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that 23andme goes on sale sometime in the foreseeable future.

And mamafish, if you had time to wander over to LaurieG's thread on her son, she shared a family health history that is loaded with autoimmune stuff, maybe if you took a look and offered some insight regarding fitting that into the overall situation? I think maybe you'll see stuff that I know I'm missing.
#482 of 755 Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 PM

Oh my. When I blow it, I blow it GOOD.

I'm starting to have pregnancy cravings. Well, they're not so much cravings (as in- I have to have this RIGHT NOW!!), but more like my body is just screaming for some variety in my diet. So tonight I went to the store to get stuff to make chicken tacos. Haven't had tacos in forever. They were DELICIOUS. Really wanted some soft flour tortillas, but they all had soy and cottonseed oil and all sorts of crap in them, so I got some soft corn tortillas. But.... I bought some dressing to go on them, and then I walked by the Newman's wheat(but not gluten)-free/dairy-free oreos....

So.... I just had dairy and gluten. All in one meal. For the first time in 2-1/2 years. Oh my, oh my, oh my. I hope this doesn't end badly for me. But man, was it worth it. And my NAET treatment is tomorrow, and it's the sugar mix for me, which means no sugar... so I'll need to eat a lot of the cookies before my appointment.

Had a midwife appointment today, and she worked on my back & hips a little because they are killing me. Wow, I feel SO much better. I am SOOOO glad I chose a midwife who is also a massage therapist.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#483 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 03:10 AM

for good midwives.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#484 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 03:14 AM

CS, that makes you and dh both getting my mouth watering over oreos tonight. Combine with JR's oatmeal sandwich cookies and... Yeah. The universe is telling me something tonight.

In the past few months, I've started thinking about cheating differently. Before, it wasn't even tempting, cause its just not something that you do. Now, it's more of an option. There are consequences, but its fine to weigh those consequences and choose to deal with them. Really perplexing for my goody two shoes mind to contemplate!

Yay for loving your midwife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
But I'm wary about being sure that too many methyl groups in an adult would feel obvious. Maybe I'd be able to tell now, when a few years ago I couldn't, but I was completely oblivious to my downhill health spiral for years and years.
Heartfixer says too many methyl groups makes for mood swings. I haven't tested, but since registering that as a possible thing to watch for and lowering my methyl groups, my mood has been a lot more stable, fewer days where I totally crash. Of course, I've been doing lots of other things too, so who knows

So dd didn't like her English muffin (food for life) this morning, which means she didn't get the b12 (in the jam). Dh ate it instead, so he got the 2 drops. I've been giving him a little b12 here and there. Lately, he's been hungry at night. He says its cause he doesn't have any good snacks. This is the guy who's super skinny cause he doesn't have a normal person appetite. Today, he had a stomach ache and now he's running out to In N Out for a midnight burger cause he's in a weird mood and doesn't feel like working on projects. Totally unusual for him. I dare say, the b12 is having a bigger-than-expected effect on him, too!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#485 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
CS, that makes you and dh both getting my mouth watering over oreos tonight. Combine with JR's oatmeal sandwich cookies and... Yeah. The universe is telling me something tonight.
Yeah, I'm blaming JR. I think I had the image of those oatmeal sandwich cookies burned into my brain when I went shopping tonight, so when I saw the oreos I just couldn't pass them up.

I have got to go to bed. I don't know what my problem is... I'm exhausted. It's nice to have some quiet time though, since DD has been super whiny this week.

#486 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Yeah, I'm blaming JR. I think I had the image of those oatmeal sandwich cookies burned into my brain when I went shopping tonight, so when I saw the oreos I just couldn't pass them up.

I have got to go to bed. I don't know what my problem is... I'm exhausted. It's nice to have some quiet time though, since DD has been super whiny this week.
I'm a big girl. I can take it. Heading to bed in a sec... but just remembered. Took my temp today since I thought I had a fever. 96.8

Sheesh. Yeah. You have no reason to be exhausted woman. It's not like you're pregnant after breastfeeding on a restricted diet for 2+ years, building a play area, renovating your house and cutting down a huge tree that you're allergic to all while parenting a 2 year old with extensive allergies or anything. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps!

for real!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#487 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I'm a big girl. I can take it. Heading to bed in a sec... but just remembered. Took my temp today since I thought I had a fever. 96.8

Sheesh. Yeah. You have no reason to be exhausted woman. It's not like you're pregnant after breastfeeding on a restricted diet for 2+ years, building a play area, renovating your house and cutting down a huge tree that you're allergic to all while parenting a 2 year old with extensive allergies or anything. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps!

for real!
Oh, I missed the recipe. CAn you direct me?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#488 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:

97 this am. Today's going to be a b12 detox day. that ds's tooth will pop through so he won't be a super whiny mess on top of it all. Than that we gat a break. This is tooth #6! He's not even 6mo!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#489 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Oh, I missed the recipe. CAn you direct me?
Give me a sec to find them again here. Neither component was my recipe.

Chinese Pistache's oatmeal cookies

I cannot, for the life of me, find the boiled frosting recipe again but, with my subs, it was:

1 c rice milk
3 T sweet rice flour
1 c sugar
3/4 c shortening or safe margarine (originally 1 cup, but I decreased it because I find it too greasy otherwise)
1/2 t salt (omit if using margarine)
2 t vanilla

Combine milk and flour in saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent lumps until thickened. Allow to cool completely. In a medium sized bowl, beat together sugar, shortening, vanilla and salt, if using. Add milk mixture to shortening mixture once cooled and beat again until you can no longer feel sugar granules.

So, you make both recipes, then just put icing on a cookie and top it with another cookie. Make sure the flour mixture is cooled completely or the icing turns into a drippy mess.

#490 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Man, my back and hips feel so much better today. And I even have more energy! Going to take the day off from projects and go to the zoo or something since DP left the car.

#491 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 03:02 PM

cs is your sunscreen corn-free? mama in rice mac n cheese thread is looking for corn free sunscreen (and vites)

#492 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Give me a sec to find them again here. Neither component was my recipe.

Chinese Pistache's oatmeal cookies

I cannot, for the life of me, find the boiled frosting recipe again but, with my subs, it was:

1 c rice milk
3 T sweet rice flour
1 c sugar
3/4 c shortening or safe margarine (originally 1 cup, but I decreased it because I find it too greasy otherwise)
1/2 t salt (omit if using margarine)
2 t vanilla

Combine milk and flour in saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent lumps until thickened. Allow to cool completely. In a medium sized bowl, beat together sugar, shortening, vanilla and salt, if using. Add milk mixture to shortening mixture once cooled and beat again until you can no longer feel sugar granules.

So, you make both recipes, then just put icing on a cookie and top it with another cookie. Make sure the flour mixture is cooled completely or the icing turns into a drippy mess.
wow, that sounds great but too much sugar. I'm trying to cut down.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#493 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 PM

Awesome CS you have a midwife that can help you that way.
The chiro I saw for most of this pregnancy also focused on sports medicine so she would give me a massage in areas that needed releasing, while also adjusting. It was heaven. I would leave feeling so taken care of and relaxed.

Starting this week I developed a waddle for the first 15 feet of steps after getting up, and started getting significant pain in my inner thighs when walking. I decided it was time for the relaxin to start making me suffer and that I would just have to deal with it for the next three weeks.
Went to the craniopath, and by just looking at me he saw that my pelvis was off, but in a different way from last week. He adjusted me, including a very painful adjustment of my right pubic bone, and now I am totally fine. I went on a nice sized up hill/mountain hike afterwards, with climbs over rocks. Dear god I think I love this man.
While he was adjusting me I mentioned I was surprised he could tell last week that the baby was heads down by just looking. He told me he also confirmed by touching me, and then told me "you know it's my job to know these things." Too bad my midwives didn't learn how to identify a breech baby from him during my last pregnancy. Also, too bad I didn't see him during my last pregnancy. I would travel very far to see him if I had another breech baby.

My mom is gone for the weekend and what a relief. It is nice to have my home back. She will be back Monday night. ugh.

coooookies. coooookies.
but instead I am going to make french bread because I seem to NEED a sandwich right now.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#494 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
Starting this week I developed a waddle for the first 15 feet of steps after getting up, and started getting significant pain in my inner thighs when walking. I decided it was time for the relaxin to start making me suffer and that I would just have to deal with it for the next three weeks.
Went to the craniopath, and by just looking at me he saw that my pelvis was off, but in a different way from last week. He adjusted me, including a very painful adjustment of my right pubic bone, and now I am totally fine. I went on a nice sized up hill/mountain hike afterwards, with climbs over rocks. Dear god I think I love this man.
I think I have a crush on him. lol. I just love competence. I think I'm going to make an appointment for myself. Can't hurt, right? And as long as I'm driving there.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#495 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I think I have a crush on him. lol. I just love competence. I think I'm going to make an appointment for myself. Can't hurt, right? And as long as I'm driving there.
15 years ago I wouldn't have put that on the top of my list of love requirements, but now yes. Plus, how can you not fall in love with the way he dresses??? deep open collar - early 80s throwback??

We now have to pay full price for my oldest because he has finished 12 visits for the year, but it still feels worth it.

oohh ohhh, but I taught him something today. I was so proud. I asked if he knew anyone locally who would clip a newborn ptt. (He didn't) He said that he guessed I was assuming the next one would have one. I said yes, but I've done a lot of nutritional things to help prevent it. He didn't know there was a nutritional component. soooo proud. I would like to find an article to give him. Were there any things written up about the nutritional component? or was it just our discussions.

#496 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
15 years ago I wouldn't have put that on the top of my list of love requirements, but now yes. Plus, how can you not fall in love with the way he dresses??? deep open collar - early 80s throwback??

We now have to pay full price for my oldest because he has finished 12 visits for the year, but it still feels worth it.

oohh ohhh, but I taught him something today. I was so proud. I asked if he knew anyone locally who would clip a newborn ptt. (He didn't) He said that he guessed I was assuming the next one would have one. I said yes, but I've done a lot of nutritional things to help prevent it. He didn't know there was a nutritional component. soooo proud. I would like to find an article to give him. Were there any things written up about the nutritional component? or was it just our discussions.
There is a huge thread about tongue ties. There is also a thread somewhere about midline defects. I'm guessing that one of those threads would talk about the nutritional component. However, the easier route might be to ping Panser and ask her for a reference. She knows a lot about it.

ETA:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ght=tongue+tie

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#497 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
cs is your sunscreen corn-free? mama in rice mac n cheese thread is looking for corn free sunscreen (and vites)
I doubt it. I just looked at it, and it has vegetable glycerin and vegetable something else...

Quote:
That is awesome that he fixed you all up! I can't believe the difference after she worked on me yesterday- and it was only for like 10 minutes! But ugh. I am already waddling. I have really loose ligaments to being with, and the relaxin has apparently kicked in already. The midwife even said, "you're really loose for this far along in pregnancy!" So today, walking around the zoo today, I made it about an hour before everything started to hurt again and I started to waddle. Should be a fun 6 months for me.

Well, I'm reporting back after my major cheating yesterday. My stomach is a little off today, but I'm not sure if it's because of the dairy or gluten, or if it's because I've now eaten THE entire package of oreo's in less than 24 hours. (Seriously. DP had one.) In my defense, I had to finish them before my NAET treatment today, because I'm on the sugar mix so I can't have any sugar for the next 25 hours.

#498 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I doubt it. I just looked at it, and it has vegetable glycerin and vegetable something else...

That is awesome that he fixed you all up! I can't believe the difference after she worked on me yesterday- and it was only for like 10 minutes! But ugh. I am already waddling. I have really loose ligaments to being with, and the relaxin has apparently kicked in already. The midwife even said, "you're really loose for this far along in pregnancy!" So today, walking around the zoo today, I made it about an hour before everything started to hurt again and I started to waddle. Should be a fun 6 months for me.

Well, I'm reporting back after my major cheating yesterday. My stomach is a little off today, but I'm not sure if it's because of the dairy or gluten, or if it's because I've now eaten THE entire package of oreo's in less than 24 hours. (Seriously. DP had one.) In my defense, I had to finish them before my NAET treatment today, because I'm on the sugar mix so I can't have any sugar for the next 25 hours.
So how did the NAET go?

And I wish I could eat a whole thing of oreos. I think I'm going to need psychiatric help to eat dairy or gluten ever again.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#499 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
So how did the NAET go?

And I wish I could eat a whole thing of oreos. I think I'm going to need psychiatric help to eat dairy or gluten ever again.
They were dairy free, and wheat free (but not gluten free.) I thought I would have issues with it as well, but suddenly the pregnancy cravings have kicked in, and I don't care anymore!! Well, not totally.... the ranch that I bought only had cultured buttermilk in it. I'm definitely not brave enough (yet) to try cheese or anything (as much as I want to!)

We haven't gone to NAET yet. Leaving in about 15 minutes.

#500 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 09:13 PM

I am really hurt and disappointed about a situation with my sil. I don't want to get into it here, but I think I won't be getting the special newborn clothes my boys wore that I let her borrow (the going home outfit plus a couple of things), and that they are thinking about keeping lots of baby clothes that would help us that are hers, for her sil's future future kids. This is just one thing that has happened that stings and it is stinging hard right now. I know it is just clothes. I think I thought it would be different, our relationship, and it is not.

#501 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Not fair, m2s. I'm sorry.

#502 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 PM

Argh, totally pulling my hair out here. This is like the 4th or 5th day this week that DS has ended up completely covered in his own poop. I have no idea what to do about it, and I have my parents and MIL here for 4 of the next 6 weeks (not exactly a great time to be in the midst of autistic 3yo potty training).

I deal pretty well with most things - schmeered poop, no. (and he HATES having his hair washed, which is not adding to the fun - he basically screams at the top of his lungs most of the time it takes me to clean him up).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#503 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I am really hurt and disappointed about a situation with my sil. I don't want to get into it here, but I think I won't be getting the special newborn clothes my boys wore that I let her borrow (the going home outfit plus a couple of things), and that they are thinking about keeping lots of baby clothes that would help us that are hers, for her sil's future future kids. This is just one thing that has happened that stings and it is stinging hard right now. I know it is just clothes. I think I thought it would be different, our relationship, and it is not.
A pox on her!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#504 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 PM

Amy and Deb
Took a 3 hour nap and feeling a little better but not great. Think bed will come early tonight too.

#505 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 10:58 PM

to you both, Amy and Deb. I wish I had easy answers for either of you.

CS, I could totally eat an entire package of Oreos-like cookies. Funny thing, of course my kids don't know the word "Oreo" so when we were at a friend's house recently and the kids were playing, "Everyone who loves ____ raise their hand" mine looked confused when Oreos were the topic. But we did have some of the Kinnikinick (I think) version of fake Oreos this summer, they were really tasty.

Deb, you prompted me to play around with more methyl groups for myself. I have a bottle of SAMe that I don't think I'm going to give DS, so I'm going to try it. It's only 200mg per pill so maybe it just won't be enough to see any difference, which still seems like it may be okay--if "too much" feels bad, then I'm probably still in that "it's normal to feel like this but I really don't have enough" mode. But I'm going to look for a cheaper source if I continue. Still liking the DMG for DS, newest cool thing. Thanks!

Oh, and in kid weirdness, DS, for some reason, doesn't want to wear glasses now. He asked if any superheroes wore glasses, I pointed out Super Man but that didn't seem to satisfy him. He says he doesn't need them, and it's hard to truly evaluate because he's not reading and apparently he fakes it really well--good enough to fool me for years (the changes were big overall, but a conglomeration of subtle stuff like talking more and picking up toys quicker/easier and bickering less). But the kid's got a lot of far-sightedness going on and I think enough astigmatism, which doesn't seem to change much throughout a person's lifetime (best I can tell) that I think he'll always need corrective lenses. I have no idea how long this will last, I'm just saying sure, take 'em off if you want.
#506 of 755 Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Deb, you prompted me to play around with more methyl groups for myself. I have a bottle of SAMe that I don't think I'm going to give DS, so I'm going to try it. It's only 200mg per pill so maybe it just won't be enough to see any difference, which still seems like it may be okay--if "too much" feels bad, then I'm probably still in that "it's normal to feel like this but I really don't have enough" mode. But I'm going to look for a cheaper source if I continue. Still liking the DMG for DS, newest cool thing. Thanks!
Tanya, if it's just methyls you want, try some methyl b12 or the DMG. SAMe has some other impacts (like it slows breakdown of dopamine, serotonin, and norephinephrine - so it could leave you high in any of those - 200mg is actually a fairly big dose, I have DS on 50mg).

And glad the DMG works for your DS - that's a good sign his methylation is well supported all the way around the cycle. It works great for my DS, I'm considering moving him up to 2 tabs a day.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#507 of 755 Old 09-25-2010, 12:03 AM

Ugh, totally wired.

DS and I went to a birthday party (7 & 8 year old boys) tonight, got home late. He was playing with his glow stick, it cracked and he got some of that glow in the dark goop in his eye!!!

Phone call to poison control and like 20 minutes of trying rinse it with water while he couldn't keep his eye open... such fun.
#508 of 755 Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 AM

I wondered about the serotonin impact, though--sometimes I am really not clear where my mood _should_ be and I've been feeling low and frustrated and icky-icky-blah-blah (how's that for a detailed description).

I've been taking some of the DMG, not really noticing anything. I should probably play with more.
#509 of 755 Old 09-25-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Argh, totally pulling my hair out here. This is like the 4th or 5th day this week that DS has ended up completely covered in his own poop. I have no idea what to do about it, and I have my parents and MIL here for 4 of the next 6 weeks (not exactly a great time to be in the midst of autistic 3yo potty training).

I deal pretty well with most things - schmeered poop, no. (and he HATES having his hair washed, which is not adding to the fun - he basically screams at the top of his lungs most of the time it takes me to clean him up).
Aaaaaeeeeeiiiiyy! I feel ridiculous for complaining about a glow stick!!!!!
#510 of 755 Old 09-25-2010, 12:08 AM

Jane Not the way anyone wants to spend the evening.

Deb--I almost forgot my question in the 30 seconds it took to read Jane's post. I think that's a clue I should be in bed. But if you don't mind sharing, what do you think are the stresses that are causing your DS to need more methyl support? Is it just lingering viral stuff that he accumulated? Something else? Just trying to learn more and grab what's applicable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page