Sassy September Chat Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm pages behind, we've had no Internet (or home phone) for a couple days now.

Um...

Oh, I knew I wanted to mention something. The oral zinc tally test? I bought some Ethical Nutrients zinc, it's supposed to be the right kind to do the oral test. I bombed it, same as 5 years ago. What I tasted could've come out of the tap, may in fact be better than (Texas) tap water. But DH bombed it too. I'm confused, and a bit bummed.

I'll go back and catch up with everyone, it's been 2 really busy days here (Thurs co-op that I was helping plan a little bit, and Fri was 2 classes at the downtown museum for DD, out of the house 8:30am-3pm, long day for me).

More comments and commiseration once I catch up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
And I remember that I have the type of blood (A) the endocrinologist said one of the thyroid meds didn't work on (but I suspect Synthroid). She put me on whatever she did because of it. Of course I didn't write it down anywhere. I wonder if the pharmacy would still have it. About 4 years ago.
hmmm... I have to look into that if I end up needing thyroid meds. I'm A as well.

eta: Glad to see you back Tanya!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Another type A here, with low temps here, too
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
So, my feet warm up when I eat sugar. What does that mean?
Time to buy a glucose meter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Oh, I knew I wanted to mention something. The oral zinc tally test? I bought some Ethical Nutrients zinc, it's supposed to be the right kind to do the oral test. I bombed it, same as 5 years ago. What I tasted could've come out of the tap, may in fact be better than (Texas) tap water. But DH bombed it too. I'm confused, and a bit bummed.

The only time I passed it was when I'd been taking 90mg/day for a couple weeks...
My sister passed on her first try. So did dh's brother. Dh, not so much.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:19 PM

Shannon, I find it reassuring that someone who's failed CAN pass it, and I'd forgotten that you found several real people who passed it.

FYI for digestive enzyme people, I'm doing a trial to switch the kids from Yasko's enzymes to the ones linked at iherb/vitacost, the Pancreatin 8x kind (blanking on the brand ... eta: Source Naturals), I'll let you know if I see any signs that they aren't working as well. I'm starting them too, I can say that my pee and poo now smell enzyme-y, which is weird and sorta annoying, but it's the same as Yasko's, so I guess that's a good sign.

also eta: Now I understand DH at least a bit more. He just asked what are the digestive enzymes actually supposed to DO. He forgot that his mood improved w/i 2 days starting the full dose. He totally forgot! He commented it on at the time, totally separate from my noticing and saying nothing. He's not clued into this stuff like I am--it's not deliberate, it's not ignoring changes in the kids, he just doesn't connect these things like I do. I am so glad for my spreadsheet!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:24 PM

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 09-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Glad to be reassuring, Tanya!

And I have to ask, why the jr? It gave me a much needed smile to see that post

I want life to settle, and then I'm going to switch from enzymes to pno, I think. I don't know how to tell if it's not working, though. Maybe months apart UAAs? Speaking of which, I want to order some labs, but now that I have to pay for them (20%, but still) I'm trying to cut it to the absolute necessities. I really WANT UAA, thyroid and ferritin. Doc will probably want to tack on more anemia stuff. And I *should* do fasting insulin, but I don't know how to make that one happen.

In other aspects of life, dd is really, really interested in anatomy right now. We got some fun books from the library . Looking for more...

Old 09-11-2010, 01:53 PM

Starting to reply now, even though I am so out of date...

Quote:
DH wants me to cut our grocery bill in half, which would be $600/month for a family of 5, 3 of which are restricted. So I'll be having less specialty foods and treats, and more general food. So I'm trying to think of ways to stretch food (DS can't do white potatoes and can only do rice once every 4 days). Or good recipes with cheap ingredients. Got any ideas? I'm brainstorming recipes and then I'll figure out a meal plan. I know, I know, I hate meal plans because as soon as I make them, I'm never in the mood for that food, but I'm going to do it anyway.
I'm glad we're talking here, but maybe a separate thread? I need to do this, for me it'll be mostly freezer meals that I can pull out when I'm tired (which has been a lot since the trip to EP, I haven't felt normal since, argh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
DS can eat an entire burrito bol from Chipotle. And then start digging into my bol. I cannot *imagine* what adolescence will be like for him (and his friends who he brings over to the house). We are planning to make him work on a farm so he can get extra food to eat. (Only half-joking there; we do live in farm country.)

I'm wondering the same about my kids as teenagers. This homeschooling thing could finally work for us--they'll do their academic stuff, then go work at part-time jobs to help with the cost of their food.

This crave-protein--need-pancreatic-support is interesting. While I don't *crave* protein, usually, I *can* eat a lot of it when it is available. When DS was 6 mos, a chiropractor did muscle(?) testing on me and said that I need pancreatic support. He had me taking digestive enzymes, but I wouldn't take the other supplements he suggested/tried to sell me because I was trying to figure out DS's allergies at that point, and I didn't want to confuse the picture even more.

Are you suggesting that there are homeopathic pancreatic supports? Or should I be trying something else?

And DS protein desire & intake is high, as I mentioned above. [Although the desire for protein seems to run in DH's family. DH's brother eats only protein (meat & beans, and rice; he is over 60, cholesterol is fine, even though he smokes & drinks). DH does best on lots of protein.]
DH's family also seems to crave meat a lot, if/when we do the gene testing, I wouldn't be surprised to see something that tends toward weak pancreas-type stuff. First thing (only thing so far) to ever see a short-term impact in DH is digestive enzymes with lots of pancreatin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Bacon is another one that I've gotten hooked on that is way too expensive, but not sure how I would make that myself. Beeler's.... mmmmmmmm.
I want to make bacon someday. I saw Alton Brown do it on Good Eats--the first time was about 5 or 7 years ago and I thought, "Who would ever do that?!?" and then I re-saw that episode a year or two ago and thought, "Wow! That is so cool, I wonder when I can try it!" He found a way to do it without fancy equipment--he did use an old locker to have different confined spaces for the smoke (to make the smoke, then a long pipe to cool the smoke, because it was a cold-smoked process), but there's got to be a way to do that without buying a cold smoker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
BTW, can you have an autoimmune thyroid disorder if your thyroid has been removed? I'm sure the answer is no.

Can you still have thyroid issues if your thyroid has been removed? I'm guessing yes, because you could still have the same uptake & utilization issues, right?
I don't know how it's officially written, I think Graves is considered autoimmune, my mom had it and now has no thyroid (sorta no thyroid, when she took some of the supps I recommended a while back, she had to reduce her dosage of Synthroid--which overall has not been a great med for her, I don't thinks he's changing T4 to T3 well, nor is she utilizing it well, she's never felt the same since the irradiation and then supplementation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
I had to leave the naturopath when I moved. But he gave me a recommendation for another one near here who went to school with him and uses the same method. She is also a chiro, so that kills 2 birds with one stone. But I haven't been to see her yet. At this point I am just plodding along with the same dosage because when I skip it (which I've done for over a week at a time) I feel worse, and when I take it I start to feel better again.
That is SO COOL that you got a rec at your new location. That's one of the things that seems hardest to me about moving, is finding new healthcare providers. And hey, if what you're doing it working, then great. But yay! all around.

Quote:
And my eye has been twitching on and off all day....
I'm sorry. Are you still taking your cell salts and supplementing mag? Maybe try supplementing throughout the day?

Quote:
Oh yeah- I actually logged on for a reason...

Is there any reason that a calcium supplement would make my joints ache? I am SO sore today, for absolutely no reason. My hips are hurting so bad I can hardly walk, and my knees and back aren't much better. I just realized that I started taking my calcium supplement again today, after being out of it for a week. Not sure if that's related...
I don't know any mechanism, my first thought was the osteoarthritis - excess calcium link, The Calcium Lie talks about calcium not balanced with other stuff, mostly mag but really lots of stuff, as being a big piece of the puzzle leading to osteoarthritis, along with all sorts of other stuff. So clearly this isn't o/a right now, but maybe something inflamed along those lines? Maybe extra mag first, then see if you can add the cal back in?
Old 09-11-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
So if my temp has ALWAYS (as long as I can remember) been 96.8 (unless I'm feeling sick; then they go up to about 98-99), I'm looking at thyroid issues? Maybe I should try temping to see if I get any swinging. hmmmm. I better get a new thermometer... all of ours suck.
According to the stopthyroidmadness site JaneS links to, 98.6 is normal mid-afternoon temp, anything lower than that is thyroid issues. If it swings as well, it's also adrenals (often they come together). So you take your temp 3 hours after waking (and 20 minutes away from food/exercise), and then 3 hours after that, and 3 hours after that. First thing in the morning temps are lower - so what is your daytime temp?

Quote:
Back when I had occasion to test my temps during the day (like a dr. appointment or something) my temps were always low no matter when I took them. Like below 98 so 97 something. But back then I was a lot "colder" than now, although it is a very warm summer. I'll try next week when I'm near a thermometer. What kind do you folks use? Digital?
I'm using digital - the thyroidmadness site says use mercury, but that's just not practical for me. The digitals could be off by a bit, but they should be consistently off (and not by a degree!).

I'm using the guidance at this site to judge want my temps mean

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/meta...perature-graph

The thing I like about this approach is that it doesn't involve repeat blood tests (of markers that are often normal for people who have thyroid issues, especially mild like mine likely are). And, you can keep tracking your temp to see if taking thyroid/adrenal supports is helping.

Quote:
G woke me up this morning to ask for a lollipop. Like I'm going to say yes when I was sleeping soundly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Time to buy a glucose meter?
No, I realized I'd taken my first dose of thyroid support - betcha that's why my feet got warm! I don't have any signs of insulin resistance, I just noticed my feet got warm last night and the first correlation I made was to the chocolate thingie I'd eaten at dinner. Not the raw thyroid. DUH.

Quote:
FYI for digestive enzyme people, I'm doing a trial to switch the kids from Yasko's enzymes to the ones linked at iherb/vitacost, the Pancreatin 8x kind (blanking on the brand ... eta: Source Naturals), I'll let you know if I see any signs that they aren't working as well. I'm starting them too, I can say that my pee and poo now smell enzyme-y, which is weird and sorta annoying, but it's the same as Yasko's, so I guess that's a good sign.
We're using those, have been for about a month. Jury is out on them for DH, I think they do OK for DD, for DS, I use them for low protein meals/snacks and use the Yasko ones for higher protein intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 09-11-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
No, I realized I'd taken my first dose of thyroid support - betcha that's why my feet got warm! I don't have any signs of insulin resistance, I just noticed my feet got warm last night and the first correlation I made was to the chocolate thingie I'd eaten at dinner. Not the raw thyroid. DUH.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:27 PM

Still trying to catch up..

Oh, one interesting thing about us. I gave each kiddo 500mg of glycine before breakfast yesterday--given how much I seem to need it (or at least it affects me stronger than is apparently typical), I figured I'd try to slowly add it in for them. So, I'm wondering if it's a coincidence that, after really appearing to be right-handed for probably a month now, yesterday DS was eating with his left hand, and it almost looked like he was spinning a bit again--sometimes hard to tell, he's 4, 4-year olds do weird stuff. I'll see how this goes, but I'm grateful to be at the place where I feel like I can slowly experiment a bit more. And hopefully each round of ALA makes this stuff taper off a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post
I want to supp iron and B12 to my 15 mo DD...... no indication other than poor weight gain and my intuition.

Can I give her the adult floradix with herbs which has some yeast in it or is there a baby version?

Can someone recommend a B12 supplement that is liquid and great. Thanks so much
I'd be concerned about supp-ing iron, swinging too high isn't good (it's one of the few, along with copper, that I'd want to really be sure was needed before I did a trial with it). I forget, are you already gluten-free? I'd probably cut gluten if you haven't already and add in cell salts, bioplasma (the 12-in-1) and maybe ferr phos? Get a copy (if you don't have one already) of The Biochemic Handbook, same place the cell salts are sold (long thread in H&H about cell salts), the book's just $4. Helps with utilization/absorption of nutrients. Sounds too good to be true but I was able to halve the amount of zinc I give the kids due to start these (and I notice recurrence of symptoms when I slack on the bioplasma). Coolest stuff.

For B12, mamafish's site for liquid B12, holistic heal, is inexpensive and easy to dose, I'd start with hydroxy B12. One bottle has lots of drops, so the bottle isn't cheap, but it'll last a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
Interviewed an awesome midwife today.
Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Thanks, that makes perfect sense!

Should I be concerned on the low grade antibodies for DS? His test was 15 for anti tpo and the range is normal at under 35 IU/ml. I'm worried with the rest of his numbers, any antibodies might mean a problem. He is strictly gluten free and has been for many years now. Well, except for the STBX factor.

DS's Free T3 is below the normal range. His ratio is 1:1 for FT3 to RT3. And if that's not bad enough... his ferritin is 22. Oy.
I'd be low level concerned about antibodies. Cutler is cautious about supp-ing iron for people with mercury issues, seems there are some stresses that cause the body to intentionally dump iron. That said, I supp'd iron when my ferritin was low (70-ish, both DO and acupuncturist said too low, I think my iron was perfectly fine) and didn't see any change, good or bad.

I forgot--are cell salts too weird for STBX? Do you need to negotiate on every single supp? Because skipping a few days is fine with cell salts, so just doing it when DS is with you would still make them quite effective--but would it be worth another thing to negotiate and try to explain why they say "homeopathic potency" on the front?

Quote:
Related to this, you have the ACE++ mutation (deletion). What that does is mess with aldosterone - think of it as low level adrenal stress constantly, and magnified in cases of real stress. Adrenal fatigue is common in adults with ACE++ mutations.

I'm starting to read more about this - I don't have many of the symptoms, but I'm wondering if I'm in early stage adrenal/thyroid issues (in the last couple of years, cold feet and trouble losing weight have cropped up). Got a thermometer, taking my temps. DH goggled , last time I did that I was trying to get pregnant. I reminded him he had a vasectomy .
One thing I've seen in myself is either over- or under-reactions to things. Like, years ago I would shake and be really affected when, say, a car tried to change lanes into me and I had to swerve to not be hit. Last few years, I don't flinch (even from stuff that I think I should react more to). I think it's a downward step--though lately I am much calmer and happier with the kids. Not super mom by any stretch, but okay-mom, which is an improvement.

Quote:
So what does Yasko say about ACE++ and alleviating adrenal fatigue b/c none of the supplements I've taken have seemed to help me yet. And if the b12 is what is keeping me up then I'm in trouble. I need sleep to heal, don't I?

Oh UAA results please come soon.
I'd assume the B12 is playing a big part in it. It seems like, in people who are super-duper low in B12, starting it is a bitch and a half, and by starting, it seems like it can take a long time to get back to a more stable place.

Do you have any supps that you can ramp up? I'd assume more mag, C, double dose of whatever multivit you've got? Though I think looking at specific amino acids and acquiring a custom blend sounds great, really a good idea. I'd tend to guess that, to get significant relief, you're going to need more than just vit/min supps.

Oh, the other thing--my not being able to sleep in the middle of the night was adrenal-related, and I'd expect the B12 to be stressing your adrenals. My parents are taking pregnenolone for their adrenals--I haven't looked into it much, it's cheap and readily available, maybe consider it? It's somewhere in that chemical chain that adrenal hormones are in.

Quote:
Adrenal glandulars, good B12 status, and minerals balancing. It sounds like you have a lot of issues in play Carren, so it may take a while to improve them to where you feel better. Have you tried melatonin, what does it do for you?

My DS' sleep has gotten LIGHTYEARS better with getting our modified version of the Yasko protocol up and running. Whatever the key variable is, it still goes all to hell when he's sick, and sleep totally breaks down again (yawn...)
Sorry for illness/lack of sleep.

Quote:
Carren, I totally missed this a while back (this was 5htp). 50mg makes DS & I (both MAO+) totally wired/edgy/nutso - and then we crash. Note that crashing for me involves not being able to sleep (I think my body swings to low serotonin and then can't make enough melatonin to support good sleep).

So I've taken my daytime temps today - ranging from 98.2 to 97.7. So low (but not crazy) and also swingy. I'll keep temping, but if I understand this correctly, that means at least some level of both adrenal & thyroid fatigue, but probably not crazy for either? I think I'm going to try this supp, glandular support for thyroid & a little for adrenals (I have more adrenal glandular I can add if need be). See if it warms my feet up .
That's what I saw--swingy was more adrenal.

Quote:
Scrapped preschool for the day, went to a lll meeting instead. Screamed more today (at dd) than ever before. Went to the craft workshop I was signed up for this afternoon (required for the preschool) and it went amazingly well. Found a friend at the lll meeting, and at first sight of her daughters, dd ran out crying and refused to go to the meeting. By the end, she was playing 'with' them. Huge first. We're going to try and play at the park in the near future. Everything is so up in the air. I don't know who my friends are, I don't know where to go for support, today was a nightmare turned ok, turned back to nightmare on the way back home, I'm exhausted and have a splitting headache (didn't drink anything all day). Trying to process preschool vs homeschool. Cant think about anything cause I'm too drained. I need someone to just listen, but I don't know how to make that happen. And I don't know what's making it all explode today. Thank goodness it's the weekend. Dh is cooking dinner and kid wrangling. I love him!

Eta: sorry, don't mind the vent. Talk amongst yourselves.
Wish I was closer.

Quote:
Back when I had occasion to test my temps during the day (like a dr. appointment or something) my temps were always low no matter when I took them. Like below 98 so 97 something. But back then I was a lot "colder" than now, although it is a very warm summer. I'll try next week when I'm near a thermometer. What kind do you folks use? Digital?
I have a digital one that I found a few years ago, I wanted to buy a new one but couldn't find one that was accurate enough. +/- 0.2 is not good enough, be sure to know the accuracy of whatever you get. If/when I replace, I'll buy online and make sure it's intended to be a BBT thermometer. I like digital, they seem accurate for me, I know some prefer analog (mercury? alcohol? not sure which).

Quote:
So I've suspected thyroid issues for a while (my temps are 96.8-97.3, only going up to 98.6 if I'm sick). And I guess my blood is finally showing it. The only thing is, the last week I started taking Iodarol because it's supposed to be good to prevent breast cancer. I took it for about 5 days, and not the night before the test, because I was going to start the Tamoxifen (which I started the night after my blood test). So what effect did the iodine have on my thyroid test?
It could've changed something, hard to say what, I think I felt a little better, my hair started falling out less, when I first started Iodoral, I think within just a few days. So if physical symptoms can change that fast, I'd think bloodwork could (not guaranteed, because my initial bloodwork, when I first felt horrible--cold/fatigue, icky stuff, was pretty normal-looking, and it was slow to trend out of the ref range).

Hey, I think maybe my hair is falling out less, I re-started my Iodoral. Now that I have the Internet again, I need to order more, I've only got about 3 pills left. Sigh.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I'm using digital - the thyroidmadness site says use mercury, but that's just not practical for me. The digitals could be off by a bit, but they should be consistently off (and not by a degree!).

Good reminder, I forgot that I was worried about mine because it got somewhat bent, and I straightened it but wasn't sure it didn't then have a small offset.

We're using those, have been for about a month. Jury is out on them for DH, I think they do OK for DD, for DS, I use them for low protein meals/snacks and use the Yasko ones for higher protein intake.
Ah, I hadn't realized how much you've already switched. So at least somewhat okay, good to hear.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:01 PM

no reason just

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 09-11-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I'm glad we're talking here, but maybe a separate thread? I need to do this, for me it'll be mostly freezer meals that I can pull out when I'm tired (which has been a lot since the trip to EP, I haven't felt normal since, argh).
Good idea. I'll start a thread

Quote:
I want to make bacon someday. I saw Alton Brown do it on Good Eats--the first time was about 5 or 7 years ago and I thought, "Who would ever do that?!?" and then I re-saw that episode a year or two ago and thought, "Wow! That is so cool, I wonder when I can try it!" He found a way to do it without fancy equipment--he did use an old locker to have different confined spaces for the smoke (to make the smoke, then a long pipe to cool the smoke, because it was a cold-smoked process), but there's got to be a way to do that without buying a cold smoker.
We have a regular smoker... I wonder if I can make bacon. Mmmmmmm....

Quote:
I'm sorry. Are you still taking your cell salts and supplementing mag? Maybe try supplementing throughout the day?
Yup. Twitching went away. I'm just left with stiff knees, an achey hip, on and off nausea, off and on dizziness, and my neck is killing me. Oy. How am I supposed to give this a 2 week to 1 month trial? It's only been since Wednesday night!

Quote:
It could've changed something, hard to say what, I think I felt a little better, my hair started falling out less, when I first started Iodoral, I think within just a few days. So if physical symptoms can change that fast, I'd think bloodwork could (not guaranteed, because my initial bloodwork, when I first felt horrible--cold/fatigue, icky stuff, was pretty normal-looking, and it was slow to trend out of the ref range).
I had no physical symptoms that got better when I was taking the Iodoral. And the oncologist looked at me funny when I said I was taking it to reduce the breast cancer risk, so I stopped it (waiting until I have my osteopath appt to see his take on everything; haven't seen him since June). But would the Iodoral made me "get" low thyroid? With nodules, I thought I should have been more prone to hyper than hypo.

Why are there so many of us A blood types... doesn't that seem strange?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 09-11-2010, 03:18 PM

I actually had the information written down. I was on Levoxyl for 3 months in the fall of 2008. I don't have the dosage but I could call the pharmacy and ask. Didn't do anything. That was when I went to the endo and she said my numbers were fine but she'd try me on them for a few months to see if they did anything for me. They didn't. So I stopped. My regular doctor checks the numbers every year (I think just TSH and T3) because I have nodules.

I just made tuna macaroni salad. I don't know how frugal it was, but it sure tasted good.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 09-11-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Good idea. I'll start a thread

I had no physical symptoms that got better when I was taking the Iodoral. And the oncologist looked at me funny when I said I was taking it to reduce the breast cancer risk, so I stopped it (waiting until I have my osteopath appt to see his take on everything; haven't seen him since June). But would the Iodoral made me "get" low thyroid? With nodules, I thought I should have been more prone to hyper than hypo.

Why are there so many of us A blood types... doesn't that seem strange?
Brownstein's iodine book has a big breast cancer focus. And I SWEAR I read somewhere (don't remember where) that iodine works with selenium and if you're low in one and supp the other, it can make you hypo.

I'm fried. I don't know what did it, but I'm completely and utterly wiped out, irritable, and not able to do anything. Yuck. Can neurotransmitter swings happen over the course of a week? Can lack of kale at breakfast do this much?

Old 09-11-2010, 04:08 PM

Iodine can stimulate the thyroid so that it makes more thyroxine which, if you have antibodies, increases their production, causing destruction of the thyroid to hasten. Best I can say on that subject.

Levoxyl = different brand of same medicine as Synthroid.

I'm blood type B- ds1 is AB.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:16 PM

I think I forgot to mention yesterday... Ds's first solids? Peanut butter. Sucked off my keys. Haven't the foggiest how it got there (dd was eating it across the room). And I know I'm seriously drained cause I'm not even seeing the humor. Normally I'd be laughing about something like that.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:13 PM

So I tried this thyroid supp:

http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Sources...ules/6009?at=0

Took one yesterday evening, and my feet warmed up. Took it again this morning, and it made me nauseous, and my afternoon temp is 98.8!! OK, I guess I don't need a whole one! Or I'm sick with DS' puking thing, hopefully the former .

I'm going to split it into smaller doses and add some adrenal glandular (I'll mix up capsules to take 2x/day like the thyroidmadness site recommends).

But for those of you who might want to do a little experimenting with thyroid supports, this one seems to have a decent amount of kick for an OTC option.

ETA: Nope, I take it all back, i have DS' puking bug...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 09-11-2010, 07:16 PM

Interesting about Synthroid and type A blood. When I was 20 my doctor insisted I was hypothyroid from one blood test, and gave my Synthroid. In the same visit, I asked him if on one of the blood tests he could check my blood type because I was curious. Nope, he said. They only check that if there is good reason to. I guess he didn't know there could be a good reason.

---

Re the oral zinc tally test....Every time I've tried it, it has tasted like the most horrible stuff I have ever tasted. Whenever my friends have been curious enough to taste it, they also thought it was miserable.

----

Re thermometers...mine is a Basal Digital brand one. I chose that because it is the only one I found that is accurate to the tenth of a degree, rather than only to a fifth of a degree. A tenth of a degree could mean a lot of you are charting.

----

JR, you are an unusual blood type. I am O+.

Since my doctor back then wouldn't test me for it, I got pissed off and bought my own test and did it all by myself. My father always told us that when he got tested in the army he was told that he was the universal donor. So that makes him O-. My sister had to be tested when she had back surgery, and she is O+ like me. That means my mother is very likely O (she could be something like an A with a recessive O and have passed on the O to both of us), and definitely the source of the +.

I did DH too, and he is A+. He only knew his blood type in the system used in Russia. Since he knew he and his family were all the same type, we now know that they are all A+s.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:28 PM

DH and I are both O+.

Leigh--good to hear, in a backwards way, about the oral zinc tally test. I've read it other places, people think it's horrible, but it's good to hear again.

Been working on meal planning stuff, and talking with DH. I asked him what he wants to do to feel better, and I'm going to do whatever he thinks would be best. He says he wants to focus on losing weight, that that's the big thing that's making him feel bad, and he wants to exercise every day (easier now that it's starting to cool off) and he does think low-carb will help, so we're going to focus on that for him. So sort of a different focus than I would've taken, but clearly my approach hasn't helped him, so it's time to jump in with both feet with his approach.

mamafish--interesting about the supp, I'll make a note of it... after a few weeks of not being sick and trying to get to bed really early, I wonder how I'll feel?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 PM

I know it is, Leigh. I get re-tested every time I'm pregnant because the doctors always think that maybe there was some mistake. "Are you SURE you're B+? That's a pretty unusual blood type, you know... Well, we'll just test it again to make sure." Even more amazing is that it was inherited from my mom's mom (through my mom, obviously) and apparently Native Americans have the lowest prevalence of people with B type blood of all ethnic groups.
Groceries. Got a bunch of junk. I was putting things on the check out counter and thought to myself "You know... I really need to check my menu plan and possibly revise it."

Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 PM

I'm AB-. They always covet my blood for some reason. However, since I suspect I might have lyme I won't donate anymore. I would hate to pass that along.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 09-11-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I'm AB-. They always covet my blood for some reason. However, since I suspect I might have lyme I won't donate anymore. I would hate to pass that along.
probably because you're THE rarest blood type with less than 1% of the population in the US? although you can accept O-, A- and B- blood, the closer the match is, the better the outcome, generally speaking.
pumping ds2's "side" bc he's been too busy to nurse all day

Old 09-12-2010, 12:27 AM

I really thought it was fascinating to learn that in Peru virtually 100% of people have blood type O.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Brownstein's iodine book has a big breast cancer focus. And I SWEAR I read somewhere (don't remember where) that iodine works with selenium and if you're low in one and supp the other, it can make you hypo.
I don't do anything about selenium. I'm just wondering if they should retest because of the Iodoral.

I'm A-. My brothers are O- and AB- (my mother is B- and my father A-). Of course DH is O+ so I had to get 6 Rhogam shots (and didn't know anything at the time, healthwise, natural type stuff) because all my kids are positive. The girls are O+ and DS is A+. And what's funny is DD1 and DD2 both look like DH and DS looks like me.... I used to give blood too but don't anymore because a horrible experience once (couldn't even sit up without passing out for a few hours after giving) and now the lyme.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:28 AM

Kathy, that's an interesting mix of blood types! I can see that both of your parents carry a recessive O. They can make kids with just about anything!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 PM

Today:
Cleaned the corner of my kitchen where I've been piling donations for the food bank and kitchen items I don't want/need (things which were given to us by people that DH said yes to ). Wiped down the stove, washed the floors (including under the oven), cleaned the counters, did the dishes, took the compost out, washed the garbage pails, watered the plants, made coffee for everyone (coffee for DH and I, "steamers" for the kids- frothed rice milk)... I even cooked breakfast! Just oatmeal, but it counts, right? Filled out school forms. Yadda yadda. Oh yeah, and we went to look at a (free) sectional. It's pretty nice- has reclining seats at both ends.
Just about to make supper now.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 PM

JR, totally impressed with your productivity. I am slowly trying to ease into a routine to keep the house a bit cleaner and tidier--now that the kids are 4 and 6.

Today was the first day of Family Physics, a small group of families that are reading a physics curriculum and then doing the experiments together. My contribution (absolutely just following the suggested experiment for my chapter) was comparing viscosities of various liquids. Kids had a fun time, potluck dinner after. There were a few other things, besides what I brought, that DD could eat (DS has been really off today, not sure what's up, so DH stayed home so DS could nap), and the shortbread at the end wasn't emphasized, DD had already left when it came out, so she didn't feel left out--I am getting lazy, I used to always bring some sort of treat to stuff like this on the assumption that someone would bring something sweet. Now I skip if I think I can get away with it.

So I'm exhausted. Getting all our stuff ready beforehand (including a grocery trip to buy drumsticks and viscous fluids like corn syrup and extra mustard), then cooking, then showering, and doing laundry for DS only to realize he'd do better at home (3-hour nap, so I guess he really needed it)... I think I need bedtime.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
JR, totally impressed with your productivity.
Seriously. I spent most of the day (well, the weekend really) outside working on the swingset. So my house is T.R.A.S.H.E.D. And I'm going on a little roadtrip to MT on Wednesday, which means I get to spend all day tomorrow cleaning, and then all day Tuesday prepping for travel. bleh. But on the plus side, the swingset is almost all put together! Now we just have to get a slide. But damn, they're expensive.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Seriously. I spent most of the day (well, the weekend really) outside working on the swingset. So my house is T.R.A.S.H.E.D. And I'm going on a little roadtrip to MT on Wednesday, which means I get to spend all day tomorrow cleaning, and then all day Tuesday prepping for travel. bleh. But on the plus side, the swingset is almost all put together! Now we just have to get a slide. But damn, they're expensive.
I'd trade my clean kitchen for your newly set up swing set any day. Or your garden.
"One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day..." (Aristotle 384 BCE - 322 BCE)

User Tag List