Sassy September Chat Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 755 Old 09-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're having a rocky start to pre-school as well. He has phase in this week which is 1.5 hrs. Yesterday drop went fine but he peed in his pants at school and then 2 other times and refused to use the potty at all.

Today, the teacher had to pry his cold, hard hands from my shoulder as he screeched into her ear at the top of his lung. But he peed in the potty at school and has been great at home.

I'm questioning whether this is the right decision or not. I hate second guessing.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#242 of 755 Old 09-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Carren, it could just be too soon to tell. I'd give it a bit more time. If you were energetic and bouncy and secretly didn't want preschool to work out, that would be different, but you could really, REALLY use some down time, and your first 2 days don't sound terribly out of the norm.

So I've been procrastinating, but I finally made a dentist appt for DD. They had a very recent cancellation so they'll see her tomorrow afternoon. She has tartar. It's going to take some time to scrape, and then we need to talk about the frenulum between her top two teeth. And I think I'm going to hear stuff like cross-bite and other stuff I don't really understand.
#243 of 755 Old 09-14-2010, 06:20 PM

I've modified this curriculum some to fit our needs and lifestyle. I may still need to add some more, but for now, it's easing us in nicely while I read "The Well-Trained Mind" and a few others.

eta: Also, I'm planning to "supplement" that curriculum with some "work" pages from a preschool "workbook" that I bought from Costco. But I haven't got to DH's shop to photocopy the pages yet.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#244 of 755 Old 09-14-2010, 09:11 PM

Ok, I'm panicking a bit.... DD seems to be on a growth spurt or something. She is constantly trying to get into the fridge, climb on the counter, etc. Just the last few days, all of a sudden. I'm giving her every snack I have in my arsenal- olives, applesauce, avocado. Not cutting it. AND, I think she's reacting to the olives now. It was a toss up between avocado and olives, and we skipped the avocado today and had olives, and she had a horrible poop this afternoon. Arg.

We're leaving on a 5 day trip tomorrow, so I'm already panicked about that- about forgetting something, and not being able to find it in MT, etc....

Any great ideas of something to fill DD up that I might have forgotten about?

Oh- and I gave her whole (cooked) quinoa the other day (after NAET, since she could only have lamb & quinoa, and I didn't want to just give her quinoa flakes all day.) Came out looking exactly how it went in. sigh.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#245 of 755 Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 PM

Hey, mamas. Just checkin in. I try to keep up, but have a hard time posting since I don't like one-handed typing and I'm always NAK.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#246 of 755 Old 09-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I think I forgot to mention yesterday... Ds's first solids? Peanut butter. Sucked off my keys. Haven't the foggiest how it got there (dd was eating it across the room). And I know I'm seriously drained cause I'm not even seeing the humor. Normally I'd be laughing about something like that.
OY! Well there is a theory that earlier introduction is better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
That was when I went to the endo and she said my numbers were fine but she'd try me on them for a few months to see if they did anything for me. They didn't. So I stopped. My regular doctor checks the numbers every year (I think just TSH and T3) because I have nodules.
Since Levoxyl is T4, if you have a T4 to T3 conversion problem and/or a problem with cell mitochondria in accepting and then utilizing T3, it could very well do nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
I'd be low level concerned about antibodies. Cutler is cautious about supp-ing iron for people with mercury issues, seems there are some stresses that cause the body to intentionally dump iron. That said, I supp'd iron when my ferritin was low (70-ish, both DO and acupuncturist said too low, I think my iron was perfectly fine) and didn't see any change, good or bad.
Well mine is in the 30's and DS in the 20's so we gotta do something. I'm going to try lactoferrin with him I think.

Quote:
skipping a few days is fine with cell salts, so just doing it when DS is with you would still make them quite effective

I have them but not sure DS is handling the lactose version and cannot swing the water version right now.

Quote:
In other aspects of life, dd is really, really interested in anatomy right now. We got some fun books from the library . Looking for more...
That's totally cool. DS is all about animals and wanting a farm right now. With goats. In the backyard. For real mama, he says.

Quote:
Shannon, I find it reassuring that someone who's failed CAN pass it, and I'd forgotten that you found several real people who passed it.
I'm real and it got better but I haven't passed yet. It's now hydrogen peroxide tasting unstead of "spit it out immediately" bad.

Quote:
So I've suspected thyroid issues for a while (my temps are 96.8-97.3, only going up to 98.6 if I'm sick). And I guess my blood is finally showing it. The only thing is, the last week I started taking Iodarol because it's supposed to be good to prevent breast cancer.
Yep to the low temps. As I've said before, my research now is pointing to the allergies/intolerances being caused by thyroid issues. It would be awesome if you could see some improvement by treating your thyroid.

David Brownstein's Iodine book and also David Derry's book talk a lot about the breast cancer low iodine connection.

Tamoxifen effects the thyroid as well.
http://thyroid.about.com/library/derry/bl1a.htm

My understanding is that nodules are the thyroid's way of trying to cope with low iodine... by enlarging in attempt seek more.

Did you have antibody testing too? What were your numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
So if my temp has ALWAYS (as long as I can remember) been 96.8 (unless I'm feeling sick; then they go up to about 98-99), I'm looking at thyroid issues? Maybe I should try temping to see if I get any swinging. hmmmm. I better get a new thermometer... all of ours suck.
All Signs Point to Yes. We use some green mercury free thermometer I got at CVS. I think it's been accurate.

Quote:
Eta: sorry, don't mind the vent. Talk amongst yourselves.
Will listen anytime.
I don't think I could do homeschool at all. I think I would drive myself and him insane. Plus DS is a very social child and he's an only too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
As for temps, I'm never just lying in bed in the am to take my morning temp. Also, this is really weird. I used to have the problem with cold hands and feet but lately I'm all about being warm. Wondering if its premenopause of something.
Did you have thyroid antibodies tested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Yes, it can be compounded but I might try to get my doctor to consider Armour/natural dessicated thyroid before going on synthetic thyroid hormone.
Strongly ditto.

I've had my synthetic T3 for a while now and I cannot get myself to take it. Desiccated thyroid contains T4, T3, T2 and T1, and calcitonin too for proper calcium absorption. (I always remember Hilary Butler's quote: "Excess calcium causes cancer cells to grow like billie-o.")

The doctors that use desiccated thyroid say that there were side effects of synthetics that they don't see now once they started using desiccated on patients. Everything I'm reading is screaming that that is the most bioidentical form. I'd never take synthetic estrogen, and the problems with it are legion, so I'm seeing thyroid as the same way.

Less allergenic desiccated thyroid than Armour is Westhroid or Naturthroid, or Erfa from Canada, check the Stop Thyroid Madness site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I know it is, Leigh. I get re-tested every time I'm pregnant because the doctors always think that maybe there was some mistake. "Are you SURE you're B+? That's a pretty unusual blood type, you know... Well, we'll just test it again to make sure." Even more amazing is that it was inherited from my mom's mom (through my mom, obviously) and apparently Native Americans have the lowest prevalence of people with B type blood of all ethnic groups.
Really?? I'm B+ and I never knew it was an issue.
#247 of 755 Old 09-15-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I don't do anything about selenium. I'm just wondering if they should retest because of the Iodoral.
If it were me and I had low body temps and other low thyroid symptoms I'd be grateful for the official go ahead to trial hormones.

I'd try selenium since that is vital for T3 conversion and mercury knocks it down. Standard dose is 200 mcg but some say can go up 400 mcg. Start slow, I had issues with it at first.

Thanks for that, put a lot of things in one place.

The Ray Peat article linked to that one is really good too... glad I'm on a bone broth kick again now that the weather changed!

Quote:
When only the muscle meats are eaten, the amino acid balance entering our blood stream is the same as that produced by extreme stress, when cortisol excess causes our muscles to be broken down to provide energy and material for repair. The formation of serotonin is increased by the excess tryptophan in muscle, and serotonin stimulates the formation of more cortisol, while the tryptophan itself, along with the excess muscle-derived cysteine, suppresses the thyroid function.
Quote:
Glycine ... promotes natural sleep.... improve learning and memory... quieting, protective antistress action.... Fibrosis, free radical damage, inflammation, cell death from ATP depletion or calcium overload, mitochondrial damage, diabetes, etc., can be prevented or alleviated by glycine.
Quote:
There has got to be a book about "how to put someone in their place in the most polite, Martha Stewartesque way". There has got to be.
OMG I so need one of those right now. Tired of biting my tongue. Eta: need IRL not this thread not sure that was so clear.

Quote:
Guess I'll go eat germs? (guess I'll go eat worms)

Something with polly(moly) wolly doodle?

Moly get the rashes gone? (polly put the kettle on)

Bueller? Anyone?
DS's school is having a new Health class starting... and nutrition is part of it. Can't imagine what crap they will be teaching. He already knows about healthy fats and bad fats, so should be interesting. This is obviously where homeschool is way better!

To the tune of 'Conjunction Junction, What's Your Function' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkO87mkgcNo

Fat is Brain Food...it makes you run.

Hooking up cells and muscles and nerves.

Fat is Brain Food...how do you run?

I got butter and eggs, they'll get you pretty far.

Coconut. Bacon. Cacao. Lard.

Hey that's nice.

Shrimp and lobster. Tallow french fries.

What's your pleasure?

Quote:
And finally, I think we're bailing on this preschool It would be awesome for me, but dd is just not into it. She was SO excited, and now she just doesn't want to go anymore. When she was there, she looked like she was more excited about the idea of school than actually being there, and she was completely and totally utterly overwhelmed by all the other kids. I think it *could* work, but I'm not sure it's wise (for her) to push it. There's another school we're going to look at next week, and in the meantime, I think I'm going to try the earth schooling curriculum. We definitely need the structure, and dd sounded excited about making a school with her and ds and me, and going to parks.

Oh, not finally... I'm lusting after cohousing, and willing to move out of my little bubble, which opens up a million opportunites. There are too many life decisions to make right now. I'm not sure how to handle it.
My DS did fabulous the first week, barely said bye to me... and then the second week it was a nightmare. I almost took him out too (he was 3 starting preschool for 3 half days/week). But the 3rd week he was totally hooked up. He often reminisces about "the old days" he calls them, when he was with Miss Kim and Miss Julie.

As a soon to be single mom, I've thought a lot about cohousing. It makes a lot of sense but what would concern me is the lack of stability of other people.

Quote:
And I think I'm going to hear stuff like cross-bite and other stuff I don't really understand.
Cross bite is where the upper palate is a bit narrower than the lower, causing the teeth to meet straight up and down or even in some cases, the upper teeth actually fit into the lower. They are supposed to be over the lower. DS's has actually improved since 6 months ago and we've only had 6 weeks of chiro so I'm not sure it's that but maybe. His teeth meet straight.

Quote:
It was a toss up between avocado and olives, and we skipped the avocado today and had olives, and she had a horrible poop this afternoon. Arg.

We're leaving on a 5 day trip tomorrow, so I'm already panicked about that- about forgetting something, and not being able to find it in MT, etc....

Any great ideas of something to fill DD up that I might have forgotten about?

Oh- and I gave her whole (cooked) quinoa the other day (after NAET, since she could only have lamb & quinoa, and I didn't want to just give her quinoa flakes all day.) Came out looking exactly how it went in. sigh.
Oh the fun of allergies. It would be salicylate overload in this house causing the loose stool and behavioral issues. Have you tested her body temps?
#248 of 755 Old 09-15-2010, 02:56 PM

Just checking in to say that both my computers died on Sunday. Where's that crying smiley? So I'm at the library, getting my fix. But WOW, do you know how much stuff I got done? Scrubbed the shower (and laundered the shower curtains), organized the basement pantry, froze more green beans, made cookies, made a bunch of fresh tomato sauce to freeze, cleaned kids' rooms, cleaned some more, and more, and laundry, and ironed all DH's shirts... and I'm totally sick of friggin' cleaning. I just want to sit on the computer and vegetate. Oh, and I read a book each day.

The osteo is putting me on an herbal instead of the abx for lyme to see how that does for me. He doesn't like the sounds of the Tamoxifen. And he said the regular doctor should put me on Armour or he knows a compounding pharmacy that could make me a safe one. So at least I know that I have options!

I'm still struggling for things for DS's lunch. On apple day and rice day I'm good, the other two days, I can't figure out what to give him. This picky and intolerant combo is not good these days. I'm crossing my fingers that my laptop will be fixed soon and it won't be a huge expense (to undo all my grocery budgeting).

Oh, and I got a new pendulum, so maybe I'll ask it some food questions to see about adding foods back for DS and DD2.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#249 of 755 Old 09-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Ugh, both computers dying would be like losing my brain! Great news re: herbs and compounded Armour. There are other powders that pharmacies can use as a simple filler. I've heard of acidophilus but that is probably dairy. I think an amino acid too?
#250 of 755 Old 09-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

Did you have thyroid antibodies tested?

Yes I did. The first time they tested both antibodies and they were both negative as in < whatever it said. The second time was only a couple of months later and only one was tested and it was negative as well.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#251 of 755 Old 09-15-2010, 06:03 PM

Just got back (well, ate snack, got kids to nap) from an exceedingly long dentist appointment. Wow. Good to have DD's teeth cleaned, she was very patient, didn't learn much otherwise. He doesn't clip frenulums til kids have their top front adult teeth in, maybe in the next visit or two he'll see the (huge) gap between DD's top teeth and then he can clip in the office. I'm not big on unnecessary stuff, but *I* can clearly see the thick frenulum and it caused a significant gap between her baby teeth--even if her palate widens, I can't fathom how she wouldn't have crowding due to this, separate from the cosmetic issue.

He didn't mention crossbite or anything like that, but I'm wondering if he only talks about that stuff if it's really bad. I'm not assuming everything's fine and dandy, but it does seem tricky to see when you're in the middle of adult teeth coming in and kids still growing.

Oh, and building tartar is "genetic" ... I asked, basically he doesn't know. I don't either, but I'll just say "I don't know." I still want to fix it.

Made an appt for DS on Friday, it should go faster, I think.

Kathy--good to hear from you again. I need to schedule computer-free days regularly to focus a bit more.

Jane--thank you for the definition, made me feel more prepared--which I really needed because I had trouble finding the office and we quickly transitioned from 8 minutes early to 5 minutes late.
#252 of 755 Old 09-15-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Oh, and building tartar is "genetic" ... I asked, basically he doesn't know. I don't either, but I'll just say "I don't know." I still want to fix it.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6624423

I have not gotten this cite to read yet but according to other references it says tartar build up is related to low thyroid.

Which is making sense to me b/c calcitonin produced by the thyroid, opposed by parathyroid hormone, influence calcium control in the body.

Just another sx chalked up for DS. I haven't had a chance to ask our holistic dentist about it since I made the connection.
#253 of 755 Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 PM

Jane, that abstract is just talking about enamel formation, not tartar. Do you have a different link? I hadn't considered google scholar, but now I'm starting to poke around on it to see if there's anything interesting there. I am just tired out today, long appt, too little sleep for me, broken sleep since I've been waking up to give DS applesauce. I should take DD's temperature. Kids are supposed to be at 98.6 right? Daytime (afternoon) temp? It's afternoon now.

Dinner is weird leftovers--grapes, leftover roast chicken, maybe I'll cook up some sweet potatoes? been craving sweet potatoes lately, plus some asparagus which was on sale--DH is starting to comment on how much I am feeding him, bwahahahahaha.
#254 of 755 Old 09-15-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I'm so tired of living n the Northeast where everything is so freaking expensive.
thinking the same thing.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#255 of 755 Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
I know there was some talk on here before about this. My blender jar just broke (it was glass, a Cuisinart blender) and I really use this thing every day. I have been putting off buying a VitaMix for years, so maybe I should just put the money towards that. Can anyone recommend one or the other? Or just buy another glass jar for my Cuisinart? I don't like the plastic carafes, but someone on another thread said the BlendTec plastic carafe is at least BPA-free.
I like our Blend-tec. I've had it since Dec, and use it at least 5 times a week. I like the multiple speed/button function. There is one for smoothies, whole fruit, icecream, soup, etc. I like the press and go part that vitamix doesn't have. Other than that, I think they are mostly the same. We don't have the tamper down thingy though. Supposedly the variable speeds on the programed buttons remove the need for it, but am not sure.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#256 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
To the tune of 'Conjunction Junction, What's Your Function' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkO87mkgcNo

Fat is Brain Food...it makes you run.

Hooking up cells and muscles and nerves.

Fat is Brain Food...how do you run?

I got butter and eggs, they'll get you pretty far.

Coconut. Bacon. Cacao. Lard.

Hey that's nice.

Shrimp and lobster. Tallow french fries.

What's your pleasure?

Moly Clean My Body
(Polly Wolly Doodle)

chorus:
Make me well, make me well,
I like peas and beans and pate
For I'm filling up my tummy with foods that are so yummy
Please, moly clean my body up today

Oh there's toxins in my body and I want to get them gone
Vitamins and nutrients they're what keep me strong
Quote:

My DS did fabulous the first week, barely said bye to me... and then the second week it was a nightmare. I almost took him out too (he was 3 starting preschool for 3 half days/week). But the 3rd week he was totally hooked up. He often reminisces about "the old days" he calls them, when he was with Miss Kim and Miss Julie.
Don't say that! (well, actually I'm really glad he liked it!) call it a knee jerk reaction, but I pulled her. We're going to look at a smaller school next week, and in the meantime we're doing homeschool playschool. So far, the homeschool version feels really comfy. It would make everything so much easier if she likes this new school, though. I have such mixed feelings!
Quote:
As a soon to be single mom, I've thought a lot about cohousing. It makes a lot of sense but what would concern me is the lack of stability of other people.
I'm liking the places where you basically have your own everything, but share yard space and have a strong community. I love the idea of communal dinners, but unless any of you all want to start something new, I don't have high hopes. Anyone want to start a choosing/intentional community project?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
thinking the same thing.
Um... Yeah. Here too.

Oh yeah, Tanya, if you end up moving back to Austin, we end up out there every other year or so to see dh's family...

I got the hypo book in the mail today, Jane. I've only flipped through to look at the pictures and read a few blips. Talk about a slap in the face! Um, yeah. Where do I sign up for desiccated thyroid? Who do I need to talk to? And after that's settled, I absolutely want to talk about mitochondria and cell walls and all that stuff. My moment of clarity is saying treat with hormones first, then figure out the why, and then start addressing the cell stuff to try and reduce the dosage needed. Of course, I haven't actually read the book yet, and I forget how it all goes with the adrenal stuff (which do you do first again?) or things like iodine/selenium deficiency. And I still want to know how this relates to my myexedmia being very significant while lactating, but not while pg or pre-dd. I've got some reading to do! Awesome book, if only for the pictures and nothing else! (I'll get our arm pinch pics up asap, they look exactly like the examples in the book )

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#257 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Oh the fun of allergies. It would be salicylate overload in this house causing the loose stool and behavioral issues. Have you tested her body temps?
Are olives and/or avocados high in sals?

Quote:
I got the hypo book in the mail today, Jane. I've only flipped through to look at the pictures and read a few blips. Talk about a slap in the face! Um, yeah. Where do I sign up for desiccated thyroid? Who do I need to talk to? And after that's settled, I absolutely want to talk about mitochondria and cell walls and all that stuff. My moment of clarity is saying treat with hormones first, then figure out the why, and then start addressing the cell stuff to try and reduce the dosage needed. Of course, I haven't actually read the book yet, and I forget how it all goes with the adrenal stuff (which do you do first again?) or things like iodine/selenium deficiency. And I still want to know how this relates to my myexedmia being very significant while lactating, but not while pg or pre-dd. I've got some reading to do! Awesome book, if only for the pictures and nothing else! (I'll get our arm pinch pics up asap, they look exactly like the examples in the book )
What book? I need to start reading...

We spent about 9 hours in the car today... loooong day. Exhausted. DD did really well though, way better than I was expecting. And I was the one that kept having to stop to pee. But- she puked for the first time EVER when we were about 15 minutes to our destination. I bought some apple juice at a gas station that had vitamin C (which I knew was a bad idea; at home I only buy 100% juice with no other ingredients), so I don't know if it was the potentially-corn-derived C or just that she drank too much. But it sucked. Puke everywhere, and she was really upset. Poor kiddo. Oh- but that reminds me of a question. There was most definitely pieces of food (sorry, gross) when she puked- I recognized small pieces of both meat and veggies. Thing is, we had eaten FOUR hours earlier! There shouldn't have still been food in her stomach, should there?

#258 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 12:52 AM

OK, I finally did it - I worked out a mix of supps to compound that I can give to the whole family (strong on digestive & organ support, then basic vites & minerals). Covers about 1/2 of what I give DS, so he'll need a separate mix as well, but beats having 4 different supps regimes in this family!!!! Same mix, different volumes for different family members.

In case anyone is curious, here's the mix (small quantities of many of these, with just one capsule per person in a 6 day mix - nothing is more than 1/2 capsule a day per person, so I save a bunch of money compounding instead of giving separate capsules for each thing):

pancreas glandular
liver glandular
kidney glandular
adrenal glandular
bile salts
policosanol
lactoferrin
milk thistle
dandelion root
gymnema sylvestre
l-carnitine
lithium orotate
trace minerals
NADH
B complex
folacal
intrinsi B12/folateE succinate
K2

Separate will be C, mag, A & D, and B12 spray (mix of hydroxy, adenosyl & methyl drops, same mix I use for DS). A few add ons by individual (thyroid for me, zinc & mo for DH).

Now to work out the total cost...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#259 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 01:07 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Hypothyroidism...pr_product_top

Poor dd and yeah, it seems like a stomach should be empty after that long. Unless she was feeling yucky the whole way and part of that was har stomach not emptying? Um... When dh has 'tummy trouble' he says it feels like the food is just sitting there, and then he doesn't feel better till he throws up.

Deb, what are we going to do with you?

#260 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:

Poor dd and yeah, it seems like a stomach should be empty after that long. Unless she was feeling yucky the whole way and part of that was har stomach not emptying? Um... When dh has 'tummy trouble' he says it feels like the food is just sitting there, and then he doesn't feel better till he throws up.

Thanks- my library has that book, so I just put it on hold.

Nope, she felt fine until shortly after the apple juice (which was 3+ hours after eating lunch.) We got stuck in construction, and then she had to poop... and there wasn't any way to get out of the traffic (we were following a pilot car for almost an hour!), so she had to wait but didn't mention it again. Then just before we stopped she said her belly hurt, so we stopped and she peed, but didn't poop, and about 15 minutes later she just puked- no warning or anything. I'm 100% sure it was the apple juice, I just don't know if it was ingredients or just too much apple juice after sitting in the car all day.

eta: Oh yeah- sleepy, keep forgetting what I was going to say.... With the food still being in her stomach so long after eating, I'm wondering if there might be some physical uh... problem? blockage? with her digestion that is messing things up and contributing to the food allergies. I don't know if that made any sense, I'm really tired. Going to bed now.

And holy cow Deb.

#261 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 01:23 AM

Stomach emptying is controlled in part by stuff like dopamine, and maybe serotonin? As well as CCK (the PNO) and other stuff. Does that help? Don't answer. Go to bed!

#262 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
I don't know, LOL!

I just worked out all the costs - including all DS' supps, the family supps, and enzymes for all (moving to source naturals pancreatin + chewable papain), total cost... $300 a month. And the very sad thing is, that's a fantastic number - it cuts 40% off the costs if I compound everything myself (and probably gives everyone better tailored support). DS alone was costing $300 a couple of months ago (and he's on a minimalist Yasko protocol, the full-fledged version costs more than a mortgage, I kid you not).

$300 a month I can live with, if it keeps us all healthier. And I think it actually saves us on our food bill (people who digest better eat less). That's my story, and I'm sticking to it .

Quote:
And holy cow Deb.
Does that mean you don't want to see the list of extra stuff I give DS - it's almost as long . However, it fits into 4 capsules a meal for him (he swallows BIG capsules now, regular sized ones), and that's not awful, he doesn't seem to mind at all.

OH - and eggs seemed to have passed, we took them out for a week and added them back in, and I didn't notice anything (out or back in). So if he reacts to eggs like the IgG test says, it's an awfully sneaky reaction. I think the raw/cooked thing is a big deal, at least for eggs.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#263 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 AM

very long day, though not as long as some
to those in need
for Deb
ds1's bday party this weekend. buying a cake for guests, going bowling.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#264 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Which hypo book did you get? I want to see arm pictures.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#265 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Which hypo book did you get? I want to see arm pictures.

Working on the pics. Working with dd to find a way for her to not scream at us all night long gets priority :yawn I'll see what I can do this morning...

#266 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
He doesn't clip frenulums til kids have their top front adult teeth in, maybe in the next visit or two he'll see the (huge) gap between DD's top teeth and then he can clip in the office. I'm not big on unnecessary stuff, but *I* can clearly see the thick frenulum and it caused a significant gap between her baby teeth--even if her palate widens, I can't fathom how she wouldn't have crowding due to this, separate from the cosmetic issue.

Tanya - dd has a thick upper frenulum also and her ped dentist said that they no longer clip them when they are young because the scar tissue makes an even bigger gap. We have had good luck with Klaire Labs infant powder for helping with plaque (has Lactobacillus salivarius).

Quote:
I got the book from ILL yesterday. Yeah, I totally fit the description of the skinny hypo - unable to relax, high strung, poor appetite (with other "typical" symptoms like eyebrows don't grow, fatigue, low temps, decreased perspiration, menstrual issues). But when I tried iodine last summer I got worse so I am getting back on the adrenal bandwagon. I have adrenal glandular coming today and biotin so I can start taking my B5 again. How much biotin should I take with B5, Shannon? Is 5 mg enough? The B5 made a huge difference in the texture of my skin before (within days), I should try to take pictures. I definitely have lipid issues - bad acne when younger, now I have small xanthomas that make my skin texture very rough around my eyes and my dad's family has the big xanthomas - this all went away when I was on B5 and it certainly fit with everything I read about it. Like this picture:

http://www.umm.edu/imagepages/1985.htm

I was hesitant to go back on it though because I was afraid my hair loss last summer was related. However, since I am currently losing handfuls of hair I think the hair loss thing was stress and unrelated to taking B5.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#267 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 11:27 AM

My windows are open! My air-conditioner is off! It won't last through til the afternoon, but for a few hours this morning, yay!

Working on my attitude here. Rather than letting myself feel overwhelmed at the prospect of change, and the work of a move--got some guesses from our real estate agent on local home sale prices, not wonderful but still worth it if DH would be happier--I'm working on viewing this potential job opportunity (not even an offer yet) as coming at the perfect time.
#268 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 AM

I had my reply window open a long, long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
Tanya - dd has a thick upper frenulum also and her ped dentist said that they no longer clip them when they are young because the scar tissue makes an even bigger gap. We have had good luck with Klaire Labs infant powder for helping with plaque (has Lactobacillus salivarius).
That's interesting about the frenulum, I'm confused. Because pics on, um, I forgot his name, the dentist with slides that talks about breastfeeding and proper palate formation and he talks a lot about frenulums too, he has pics of kids with their gaps closing in the years after clipping. I guess there are more nuances here than I appreciate.

Do you use the Klaire powder topically, just in the mouth, or as a regular (swallowed) supp? I've wondered/hoped if an improvement in gut balance would result in a reduction in tartar. It's probably too much to hope that the digestive enzymes will help--but I'm going to hope anyway.

Oh, and I officially love these digestive enzymes. No weirdness, in any way, from the ALA in DS with these. I'm going to stick at this dosage for a while (which is already on the high side, 30 mg in a 45-pound kid) but if it goes well for a while, I'm going to bump that up again, see if we can get to 50 mg and stay there several months.
#269 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
I got the book from ILL yesterday. Yeah, I totally fit the description of the skinny hypo - unable to relax, high strung, poor appetite (with other "typical" symptoms like eyebrows don't grow, fatigue, low temps, decreased perspiration, menstrual issues). But when I tried iodine last summer I got worse so I am getting back on the adrenal bandwagon. I have adrenal glandular coming today and biotin so I can start taking my B5 again. How much biotin should I take with B5, Shannon? Is 5 mg enough? The B5 made a huge difference in the texture of my skin before (within days), I should try to take pictures. I definitely have lipid issues - bad acne when younger, now I have small xanthomas that make my skin texture very rough around my eyes and my dad's family has the big xanthomas - this all went away when I was on B5 and it certainly fit with everything I read about it. Like this picture:

http://www.umm.edu/imagepages/1985.htm

I was hesitant to go back on it though because I was afraid my hair loss last summer was related. However, since I am currently losing handfuls of hair I think the hair loss thing was stress and unrelated to taking B5.
I don't know how to balance b5 and biotin, just that it's important. Go by symptoms, maybe? Though that's a more subtle one for me. 1000mg b5, and I had to keep upping it for adrenal support. Added 5mg biotin and my gut got happier and I could drop back to the 1000mg b5. After the low biotinidase result, And increased supplementing (40mg) I could judge based on morning sickness (it showed up) and could drop the b5. Months later, and the crazy muscle fatigue over doing anything at all was fixed by bringing b5 back. and huh, it all comes back to those darn mitochondria.

#270 of 755 Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
OK, I finally did it - I worked out a mix of supps to compound that I can give to the whole family (strong on digestive & organ support, then basic vites & minerals). Covers about 1/2 of what I give DS, so he'll need a separate mix as well, but beats having 4 different supps regimes in this family!!!! Same mix, different volumes for different family members.

In case anyone is curious, here's the mix (small quantities of many of these, with just one capsule per person in a 6 day mix - nothing is more than 1/2 capsule a day per person, so I save a bunch of money compounding instead of giving separate capsules for each thing):

pancreas glandular
liver glandular
kidney glandular
adrenal glandular
bile salts
policosanol
lactoferrin
milk thistle
dandelion root
gymnema sylvestre
l-carnitine
lithium orotate
trace minerals
NADH
B complex
folacal
intrinsi B12/folateE succinate
K2

Separate will be C, mag, A & D, and B12 spray (mix of hydroxy, adenosyl & methyl drops, same mix I use for DS). A few add ons by individual (thyroid for me, zinc & mo for DH).

Now to work out the total cost...
How much are you charging for the custom caps?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page