Sassy September Chat Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 755 Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep.

It is September.

How are you all doing with back-to-school food issues? Have you made some Master Tonic to have on hand for the cold and flu season? Started kefir for the immune benefits? What about Nettle Leaf infusions for the anti-histamine benefits?

Planted a fall garden for baby greens and all the food folate which helps allergies, immune system and detoxification, anxiety, depression and sleep issues?

New to all of this and just want a shoulder to cry on? Come on in to the chat thread. YOU are invited! We've btdt and will walk beside you on this journey to learning everything you never wanted to know about Allergies (and more).

Pat

I have a blog.
#2 of 755 Old 09-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We forgot about a new chat thread til the 4th?!? At least I'm not alone in my forgetfulness.
#3 of 755 Old 09-04-2010, 09:03 PM

Never even occurred to me. Maybe one month it will.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#4 of 755 Old 09-04-2010, 09:11 PM

Sub'bing!!!

I am worried about school and dd3. I hate having to trust someone else to make sure that she won't get any of her allergens. I'm hoping that they will follow the ''Don't feed my child'' rule that I gave them. lol I did bring a treat and need to buy one more for those occassion like b-days that I know for sure, she can't have.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#5 of 755 Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 PM

Day 3 egg free - egg free stinks! GF is easy, but we eat a lot of eggs. Noticing exactly NOTHING, but we'll stick it out for a week and re-trial.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#6 of 755 Old 09-04-2010, 10:33 PM

we are officially good to go on back to school clothes. just got in the door. making supper.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#7 of 755 Old 09-05-2010, 12:46 AM

<-- Cause dd's chowing down on popcorn. I'm totally jealous but not going anywhere near for fear of a repeat of today. Thank goodness for art fairs in the mountains!

Gonna try journaling instead of computing for a while. Still trying to figure myself out Attacking the stress reduction angle.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#8 of 755 Old 09-05-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Day 3 egg free - egg free stinks! GF is easy, but we eat a lot of eggs. Noticing exactly NOTHING, but we'll stick it out for a week and re-trial.
Giving up eggs was the worst ever...makes breakfast so hard and baking is an experiment every time for me now. My commiserations.

DD is on her second gluten/dairy reaction in a week and a half. First she was at a friends and had a rice cake that said gf on the pkg, but it had choc chips. Looked it up online, and quaker's said that they can't guarantee gf (even tho it says on the pkg!!!) and of course, they had dairy in them. So she threw up, had a tummy ache and a fever overnight.

Yesterday we wen to my mom's and she was baking bread. INstead of leaving, we stayed because cousins were over and I wanted her to be involved. But no, she had tummy troubles all night, with a fever, and her throat hurt and the whole pale, pale face, just from breathing in the air at Gma's! So the good news is that the behavioral stuff isn't as long or as bad, but the bad news is the reactions seem more intense.

Baby is doing really well. Was colicky and spitting up huge amounts, but took him off the probiotics that I thought were cf and took him to the chiro and he is one happy camper! I'm also strictly off gluten, dairy, cabbage, broccoli, ect and chocolate, ouch. I am dying for chocolate, tho, so as soon as we've had a few more perfect days, I'm going to trial it to see if it was a factor or not...so wanting brownies. All my treats revolve around chocolate.

My entire family is asleep but me. I should be napping too. Baby is so sweet! He is very alert and growing like crazy and beginning to smile. I love the NB stage!

Kathy, I so need your cookbook!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#9 of 755 Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 PM

Hi, everybody! Long time no see! (Well, I see some of you on FaceBook pretty regularly.)

I skimmed the August chat thread to see what's going on with everyone.

We just moved to Durham NC from NYC.

Oh, and I am pregnant. Due right around the end of March or beginning of April. I saw in the August chat that there are a few others here who are pregnant. Congratulations!

Since I have been here last, I finally got tired of experimenting with supplements, and figured for the amount of money I was spending I could just try a naturopath. So, off I went. He does Nutritional Response Testing. The first month, my muscles/reflexes were saying that it was a good idea to take a particular set of supplements that support the adrenals and thyroid. After that, the supplement that my muscles/reflexes wanted me to take was a pancreas support one (Pancreatrophin). As soon as I was on that, I felt dramatically improved. After a while, my muscles/reflexes said everything was peachy. And I felt good. Then I got pregnant, and my pancreas wanted a little support again. So back to that supplement.

I've also been, since October, eating a meat-first and low-carb diet, which is helping to keep my blood sugar even. Apparently, all of my symptoms were the result of reactive hypoglycemia, and my body panicking that my blood sugar was too low. As long as I stick to my diet, I don't even feel like I need the supplement. In fact, I forget to take it more than I take it. (I think I've taken it once a week, instead of 3 meals a day, most of this past month.) But I really should try to take it better, since i have been messing up on the diet a lot. I've been having a lot of cravings for fresh fruit, and indulging them, which I hope is good for something, but it isn't good for my blood sugar levels.

Anyway, the naturopath thoroughly checked me for any of the usual food reactions, any heavy metal issues, any yeast issues, any viral issues, any bacterial issues. I came up clean on all of those. He said that if I was already fighting with any of these, then by putting vials containing them into my energy field, there should be some sign of it in my muscle and reflex responses. But there wasn't, which shows those aren't a problem for me.

In other news, I got thoroughly blood tested before conceiving to see the status of things like folate, vitamin D, and other things I was concerned about. I had a long list. They took so much blood I was surprised I could function. All the numbers were beautiful. I've been taking folate anyway. Let's see if we can escape without any midline birth defects this time. I'm hoping that last time the deciding factor was that I had been on birth control pills for 8 years and conceived the first egg after stopping. Probably had low folate.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#10 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 12:50 AM

Wow Leigh- sounds like you're really making some progress. That's so exciting! And congrats!

dannic- so nice to hear about the baby. And I hope you get chocolate back soon.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#11 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 02:08 AM

the crazy letdowns and oversupply of the last week, the cranky baby and the super-milky dd? Not corn. Carbs. At least that's what I'm putting my money on. We'll see in a few days. Please, dd, get back to happy before Tuesday!

Yay for happy baby, dannic! And yay for progress, lilya! Wow that's a lot of march babies coming up

My sister and I were playing with skin - the mucin arm pinch stuff. All of her skin is way looser than mine. I'm realizing that my extra weight seems to be lactation related - never had it pre-dd and went back to my normal body type when pg with ds. I'm sure there's a clue there, but I have no clue what it is. My thyroid doesn't like making milk?

Eta: I came across a blurb today mentioning that folate protects against birth defects caused by bpa in plastics. Interesting, no?

#12 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 02:57 AM

Maybe there's hope for me yet, Shannon.
Feet are killing me. Need to start MSM again I guess.
Busy getting ready for school on Tuesday.

eta: Also, came to realize that a lot of our problems with DS1 (constantly distracted) may be related to untreated ADHD, so could someone remind me to call my ND on Tuesday for an appointment for him? (speaking of distractability) and now that it's wrote down here, chances are I won't forget anyway since I asked you guys to remind me, whether you remind me or not.
Also, talked to my mom today. I miss her.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#13 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 02:36 PM

Hey whoMe,

The mucin logged arm skin is different than fat, much firmer. I wonder if your issue is that of T3 conversion and there is something impairing it when you are lactating?

Clobo and I were talked about iron, are you taking iron and what form?
Is it working? It could be a factor in hair loss if you are still noticing.

I was reading about iron bis-glycinate. I want to try to get my ferritin up, apparently liver and red meat is doing squat and that can also effect thyroid function a great deal. Broda Barnes the thyroid guru says ferritin should be 100 in those with thyroid disorders. Dr. Mark Starr recs ferretin 130 in menstruating women!
#14 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post

Eta: I came across a blurb today mentioning that folate protects against birth defects caused by bpa in plastics. Interesting, no?
Very interesting. Must get rid of it through better methylation?

Is there a mitochondria thread around? I feel like I need to (try) to understand that better.
#15 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Hey whoMe,

The mucin logged arm skin is different than fat, much firmer. I wonder if your issue is that of T3 conversion and there is something impairing it when you are lactating?

I was reading about iron bis-glycinate. I want to try to get my ferritin up, apparently liver and red meat is doing squat and that can also effect thyroid function a great deal. Broda Barnes the thyroid guru says ferritin should be 100 in those with thyroid disorders. Dr. Mark Starr recs ferretin 130 in menstruating women!

Do you have any links to pictures of the arm fat? I"m trying to decide if mine is an issue or if its just because I am getting chubbier.

Thinking of trying the iron too.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#16 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Ugh. Feeling terrible today. I'm obviously VERY allergic to something in our yard... I'm guessing it's the laurel, since we spent most of the day yesterday chopping it down (it was about 30' tall, it's 4' tall now. ) This happened last time we worked on the laurel too- next day, I'm all sneezy, puffy, itchy eyes, crazy itchy top/back of throat. Arg. I've already taken a bunch of C, but it's not helping at.all.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#17 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Do you have any links to pictures of the arm fat? I"m trying to decide if mine is an issue or if its just because I am getting chubbier.

Thinking of trying the iron too.
I haven't seen any online just in his book. Supposedly even if you are chubby the skin will separate from the underlying tissue if you don't have mucin accumulating. If you do, it will be impossible to separate on your upper arm. Also outer thigh. It will feel different than another chubby area on your body.
#18 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Random thoughts:

Love my Diva Cup!

Soooo tired of work!
#19 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Hey whoMe,

Yeah, the mucin fits much better than fat for me. Iron's definitely low, though I don't think I'm actually anemic anymore . Have you thought about lactoferrin for better iron transport, like yasko suggests?

I'll see if I can get pictures/video of everyone's arm skin this afternoon.

#20 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 05:30 PM

Another rec for lactoferrin - it helps transport iron where it's needed. Just taking iron supps (if you aren't transporting iron well) can cause gut bacteria virulence to increase (iron feeds them).

#21 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 PM

I shouldn't kill the kids, right? Right? Cause ugh, this is not going as smoothly as I'd hoped. We are changing the play room into DD's edroom and making the room they shared into just DS's room. I have no idea how DS is going to do falling asleep in his own room, I'm sure there will be problem-solving involved. But keeping DS on-task picking toys up and putting them away is killing me. I will be deeply, everlastingly grateful if the DMG (which should be arriving within a week or so, I think, I ordered from vitacost because I needed other stuff they carry and sadly they don't keep it in-stock all the time) makes it easier to keep him on task. Ugh.

Plus side: if we don't go crazy or start killing each other, we will finish and then we'll have a) pared down the toys considerably, b) created a private space for each child, c) done a lot of sorely needed cleaning, and d) created more room to play as well as more floor space (due to re-arranging the bunk bed and getting rid of some stuff). So that'll be worthwhile, right?
#22 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Not worth it to kill the kids, Tanya. Definitely worth the frustration you're presently experiencing though (the benefits you described).
I went through the toys in the living room today, washed the floors, went through DS1's clothes with him, did the big ABC floor puzzle with the kids, did a load of laundry, folded 3 loads of laundry and made banana boats for the kids. Spaghetti for supper, with a nice salad. Considering doing something else yet but not sure what.

#23 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 PM

I'm feeling your pain, Tanya, only I don't have a great outcome in sight. Dd is... well... let's just say I have about zero interest in eating much in the way of carbs for a loooooong long time. Plus I'm reacting and preschool starts tomorrow. Not only am I nervous for me (meeting/hanging out with all the other parents, it's parent participation) I'm nervous for her (she's been in such a needy spot for the past week) and I'm second guessing that it's even a decent choice in the best of situations. I spent way too much time in the grocery store, looking for safe junk so dd can match the other kids Tell me again why we're trying this?

For myself. Apparently me reacting is TOTALLY motivating for me to get stuff figured out. Next task: stress reduction. But I don't even know where to start. As soon as I decide to create a stress-free day, it's a one way ticket to me crying on the bed and feeling completely alone and overwhelmed.

#24 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 PM

Start of school stress, so fun.

So middle of last week I realized that DS probably needed to be potty trained for preschool. Hadn't even started. so we are now on a crash course to try and get him trained. But we'll see. We only have a week.

Now, on to a question.

We went to the amusement park yesterday. Kids had a great time. DD loved all the rides. She was way more bold in ride choice at 6 than I was even as a teenager. Anyhow, she did really well at the park, although she fell apart a little at the end when her cousins left without saying goodbye while we were waiting on line for a ride.

Got home, ate & went to bed at a reasonable time.

Fast forward to this morning. She is like a monster. Fighting with her brother, being totally unreasonable. We finally had to separate them by DH dragging her to the store (against her will) & leaving DS home.

What is up with that? Did she deplete some critical body chemical? A stress hormone or something? Any thoughts?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#25 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Now, on to a question.

We went to the amusement park yesterday. Kids had a great time. DD loved all the rides. She was way more bold in ride choice at 6 than I was even as a teenager. Anyhow, she did really well at the park, although she fell apart a little at the end when her cousins left without saying goodbye while we were waiting on line for a ride.

Fast forward to this morning. She is like a monster. Fighting with her brother, being totally unreasonable. We finally had to separate them by DH dragging her to the store (against her will) & leaving DS home.

What is up with that? Did she deplete some critical body chemical? A stress hormone or something? Any thoughts?
That's so totally exactly dd, only she doesn't fight with ds yet. Folate and mag were the big ticket nutrients before the milk came back. Have you read the Highly Sensitive Child yet? The suggestion there would be lots of downtime for her to process all the excitement, and the possible biochemical explanation (mentioned in passing) is a small serotonin bucket, that in these highly sensitive kids they just run out of (possibly) serotonin faster.

Could it also be new/unusual junk food from the park?

#26 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
That's so totally exactly dd, only she doesn't fight with ds yet. Folate and mag were the big ticket nutrients before the milk came back. Have you read the Highly Sensitive Child yet? The suggestion there would be lots of downtime for her to process all the excitement, and the possible biochemical explanation (mentioned in passing) is a small serotonin bucket, that in these highly sensitive kids they just run out of (possibly) serotonin faster.

Could it also be new/unusual junk food from the park?
We brought all our food. She was going to have a bite of a cousin's blue cotton candy but they left so she didn't get it.

Ok, on the seratonin thing. I'm reading The Mood Cure and I scored high on 3 out of 4 of the questionnaires. And elevated on the other, just not at high.

Anyhoo, as I'm reading through the seratonin chapter I realize that DD reminds me a lot about myself in a lot of respects so that got me wondering (this was before the mega meltdown).

Can kids really be low in brain chemicals? Should I spring for the amino acid test for her? Or just try supplementing some 5-htp? And can "exciting" but fun events run down their seratonin?

Mamafish, I know you've had the uaa for your son. Do you supplement his aa or is it just a data point for how well he's digesting his proteins?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#27 of 755 Old 09-06-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
We brought all our food. She was going to have a bite of a cousin's blue cotton candy but they left so she didn't get it.

Ok, on the seratonin thing. I'm reading The Mood Cure and I scored high on 3 out of 4 of the questionnaires. And elevated on the other, just not at high.

Anyhoo, as I'm reading through the seratonin chapter I realize that DD reminds me a lot about myself in a lot of respects so that got me wondering (this was before the mega meltdown).

Can kids really be low in brain chemicals? Should I spring for the amino acid test for her? Or just try supplementing some 5-htp? And can "exciting" but fun events run down their seratonin?

Mamafish, I know you've had the uaa for your son. Do you supplement his aa or is it just a data point for how well he's digesting his proteins?
Yeah. Dd's UAA were low like mine, but not as bad (this was pre-pg with ds, so on lots of milk). I've been working on the assumption that kids can have low brain chemicals as well - they use the same neurotransmitters and need the same nutrients to make them. And dd responds to folate a lot like I do.

#28 of 755 Old 09-07-2010, 12:02 AM

I was a bit older, I think 12-ish, when my anxiety started and I think it was completely biochemical, it wasn't life/family stress. The bouts of depression were a few years later, but at least 3-4 short, intense bouts in high school.

I really don't know how to fix it, though, I took pharmaceuticals for the depression, never occurred to me to do otherwise.

I had more to say but I'm too tired. We did it, the kids are each asleep in their own rooms. Still need to move toys around some, hopefully get rid of more, but lots of vacuuming and moving stuff, I even mopped (!), it was a good day. Tomorrow should be good too--it'll likely be very rainy here, we should get a few inches of rain from Hermine, so a good day to work inside.

Hope everyone sleeps well, I think I'm headed to bed soon. So tired.
#29 of 755 Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Start of school stress, so fun.

So middle of last week I realized that DS probably needed to be potty trained for preschool. Hadn't even started. so we are now on a crash course to try and get him trained. But we'll see. We only have a week.

Now, on to a question.

Could be chemicals (see below). But it could also be that she doesn't have the tools to recover from massive overstimulation - she's just gotten mature enough to sometimes wait to the next day to melt down. I'm an introvert - it takes me three days to recover from being at a fair, even though I totally love it while I'm there. My daughter goes to sleepovers and has a fabulous time - and is a fragile drama queen for two days after.

Figuring out what she needs to recenter herself might help - if she's an introvert, it's time alone and quiet, for example. We used to put DD in her room with a video, it worked wonders. Now she reads a book and chooses to retreat to her room when she's out of sorts.

Quote:

Kids can be low, and they can also be swingy. My son has genes for swingy serotonin and swingy anxiety related stuff. He gets the serotonin ones from me (MAO+, maternally inherited - don't you have that too? In which case, your daughter very well could).

I did supp amino acids for about a month after his first UAA, but when we started the digestive enzymes and I could see food was digesting so much better, I stopped when the bottle ran out. I figured we'd see where the next UAA was at, and his amino acids were much better. However, he was never wildly low on tyrosine or tryptophan - if either of those had been low I would have supped those (they're the precursors to serotonin & dopamine).

So, back to if your daughter is MAO+ - that tends to cause high serotonin - which has a very strong feedback loop and inhibits serotonin - which causes a swing low. We find that serotonin crashes often come on the heels of lots of excitement (e.g. serotonin highs). We've gotten DS relatively well modulated without using 5htp - Yasko suggests frequent small doses to try to have a leveling effect, but they had the opposite effect for DS, and many kids on the Yasko forums. Ashwaghanda has been really helpful, it's supposed to balance serotonin levels, and I've really liked it for DS. Subtle, but effective (best in at least two doses, rather than just a single daily dose, at least for DS).

#30 of 755 Old 09-07-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
So, back to if your daughter is MAO+ - that tends to cause high serotonin - which has a very strong feedback loop and inhibits serotonin - which causes a swing low. We find that serotonin crashes often come on the heels of lots of excitement (e.g. serotonin highs). We've gotten DS relatively well modulated without using 5htp - Yasko suggests frequent small doses to try to have a leveling effect, but they had the opposite effect for DS, and many kids on the Yasko forums. Ashwaghanda has been really helpful, it's supposed to balance serotonin levels, and I've really liked it for DS. Subtle, but effective (best in at least two doses, rather than just a single daily dose, at least for DS).
iirc, I'm not MAO+, but that bolded part might explain a lot for me... Is there a gears turning smiley?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page