Mothering Forum banner

epi-pen ?

776 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Juniper Gerrie-Sue 
#1 ·
how do you store it when you're going to be out and about and it's hot? it's still in the 90s here and probably will be over 85 at least occasionally until november. they aren't supposed to be chilled and aren't supposed to be over 85. if we go to the park or the zoo what am I supposed to do?

#2 ·
I always carried mine in my purse/diaper bag. I suppose prlonged heat is what you need to stay away from. So if you are out in the heat for an hour or two at a time, I dont see how that could hurt.

I could be wrong though. No one told me to make sure I keep my epipens at 72.6 degrees F at all times.

#3 ·
I don't know how it is possible for it never to be above 85. We had plenty of days hotter than that with no A/C on so I know our house was in the 90's more than once.

But I had the same dilemma when out and about. All day picnics, water park, beach, etc.

I did not leave it in the car, but kept it with me and figured it was no different than when at home. it was just as hot. for some day trips, I carried it in a little cooler bag with no ice. hoping to cooler bag would keep it from heating up as much. But I am sure there is a better way.

So I guess I am just saying that I am looking for suggestions too...

#4 ·
I will carry mine in a cooler bag. In the cooler bag, we put a first aid wrap that can be put in the freezer (so it doesn't get as cold as ice) and then we wrap the epi pen once or twice with a towel. That way it stays cool but hopefully doesn't get too cold. Once, we left the epi pen in the car on a hot day and you could definitely see the liquid get cloudy so keep an eye on that if you're not sure. This has seemed to work for us all summer during long trips to the park, pool, etc.

#5 ·
I just keep mine in my bag, it goes with me, I don't leave it in the car. It gets hot here in San Diego so I've had the same thoughts. For what it's worth, my dad used one on my brother after a bee sting that had expired and been exposed to high temps it's whole existance and it worked great. Not something I'd recommend but...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.