Elminiation Diet - help please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I posted under breastfeeding:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1265152

I'm trying to come up with an elimination diet to resolve my ds's blood in poop. Here's what I'm thinking of:

Turkey, Chicken, Lamb
Rice, Millet, GF Oatmeal
Olive Oil, Safflower Oil, Canola Oil, Sunflower Oil
Squash, zucchini
Pears, Apples
Coffee
Salt

*ADDED* Potatoes, sweet potatoes

Would it be sufficient to do this for 2 weeks and then add things back? I'm pretty concerned about losing too much weight.
#2 of 33 Old 09-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would start with just dairy and go from there. Of your list, coffee would be a big no to me from my/others experience.

An ED is a last step. You should try the major things first (dairy, egg, soy to start). That's just me though.

Good luck!
#3 of 33 Old 09-24-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post
I would start with just dairy and go from there. Of your list, coffee would be a big no to me from my/others experience.

An ED is a last step. You should try the major things first (dairy, egg, soy to start). That's just me though.

Good luck!
I eliminated dairy and soy 3 weeks ago, and the blood is getting more frequent. I just want to get rid of the blood...it worries me that it's been there for the past 3 days (just saw some more specks in the latest diaper). I don't want to get to the stage where it gets so bad that I'll actually be giving formula real thought. It's also very hard to plan meals for a week when I don't know what I'll give up tomorrow. Easier to just do it in one shot (if it works). Is coffee really that bad? It's my one crutch! I've never heard of coffee being an allergen...is it?
#4 of 33 Old 09-24-2010, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1 View Post
I eliminated dairy and soy 3 weeks ago, and the blood is getting more frequent. I just want to get rid of the blood...it worries me that it's been there for the past 3 days (just saw some more specks in the latest diaper). I don't want to get to the stage where it gets so bad that I'll actually be giving formula real thought. It's also very hard to plan meals for a week when I don't know what I'll give up tomorrow. Easier to just do it in one shot (if it works). Is coffee really that bad? It's my one crutch! I've never heard of coffee being an allergen...is it?
The caffeine can cause problems (GI bleeding) in a lot of infants, iirc.
I agree with trying top 8 free (allergens) and/or top 4 free (intolerances) before doing a TED to see if it helps.
Top 8 allergens: peanuts, soy, dairy, eggs, nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat
Top 4 intolerances: corn, dairy, wheat/gluten, soy

If, after 2 weeks of avoiding all of those- including "hidden" ingredients, there is no improvement, THEN I would consider a TED.

eta: Also, what did you replace soy/dairy WITH? If you're seeing an increase after eliminating those, it's possible you're eating more of whatever is the problem. Rice? Coconut maybe?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 33 Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 PM

Anything you consume can be an allergen, or a sensitivity. I was tested a few months ago and on an ED diet since then. I've eliminated most of the top 8, plus a whole slew of others according to the test results. I did lose weight initially and I REALLY did NOT need to, but then I learned how to make cookies and pancakes and that became my saving grace while I learned how to make a few other things that would help keep the weight on.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#6 of 33 Old 09-24-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
The caffeine can cause problems (GI bleeding) in a lot of infants, iirc.
I agree with trying top 8 free (allergens) and/or top 4 free (intolerances) before doing a TED to see if it helps.
Top 8 allergens: peanuts, soy, dairy, eggs, nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat
Top 4 intolerances: corn, dairy, wheat/gluten, soy

If, after 2 weeks of avoiding all of those- including "hidden" ingredients, there is no improvement, THEN I would consider a TED.

eta: Also, what did you replace soy/dairy WITH? If you're seeing an increase after eliminating those, it's possible you're eating more of whatever is the problem. Rice? Coconut maybe?
Rice mostly...but I was also using hemp milk, almond milk. Not coconut though. I've probably been eating more nuts, to try and get extra calories.
#7 of 33 Old 09-24-2010, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyFrog View Post
Anything you consume can be an allergen, or a sensitivity. I was tested a few months ago and on an ED diet since then. I've eliminated most of the top 8, plus a whole slew of others according to the test results. I did lose weight initially and I REALLY did NOT need to, but then I learned how to make cookies and pancakes and that became my saving grace while I learned how to make a few other things that would help keep the weight on.
So what do you make cookies/pancakes out of? I tried making non dairy and non gluten pancakes and they weren't edible. And no eggs?
#8 of 33 Old 09-24-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
So what do you make cookies/pancakes out of? I tried making non dairy and non gluten pancakes and they weren't edible. And no eggs?
Do a web search for Sue Gregg's blender batter pancakes. That's what we use. They're made from whole grains and don't require eggs or "weird" gums.

I just posted in the chat thread about making gluten, casein, soy, dairy, nut free oatmeal creme cookie sandwiches. The recipe for the oatmeal cookies is in the allergen free recipe thread I mentioned earlier.

Our family is gluten, dairy, nut/peanut/coconut, berry and egg free, soy and goitrogen (canola, brassicas etc) light. Let me know how I can help.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#9 of 33 Old 09-25-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

So my dh just put hemp milk in my coffee instead of rice milk. What family of foods is hemp milk in? Is it highly allergenic? I can't seem to find any info except from websites that sell it.
#10 of 33 Old 09-25-2010, 11:58 AM

The key to not starving on an elimination diet is LOTS of fat. Way more than you could imagine .

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#11 of 33 Old 09-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
So my dh just put hemp milk in my coffee instead of rice milk. What family of foods is hemp milk in? Is it highly allergenic? I can't seem to find any info except from websites that sell it.
It is in the family Cannabacae, which also includes hops and hackberries.
Since it is not a commonly eaten food (although it's becoming increasingly popular), I cannot speak to how allergenic it is.

#12 of 33 Old 09-25-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
The key to not starving on an elimination diet is LOTS of fat. Way more than you could imagine .
I suppose lamb will help with that...otherwise...what else? I can't just drink olive oil cocktails, can I?
#13 of 33 Old 09-25-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add sugar and maple syrup to my list. Dh thinks honey is better than maple syrup as being less problematic...what do you all think? I need something to put in my oatmeal.
#14 of 33 Old 09-29-2010, 04:52 AM

have you had the stool checked for blood? Is it bright red?

Mama to Noah (3) and Rebekah (09/2/10) femalesling.GIF
#15 of 33 Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Personally I wouldn't do oats (even if they're gluten free) when you're doing an elimination diet. Bob's Red Mill makes hot buckwheat cereal, and there's cream of rice. It's only for a couple weeks, but oats are a problem for many people. I would also keep the white potatoes out during that time, and just use sweet potatoes. White potatoes are part of the nightshade family, which is problematic to many people. And make sure the salt is sea salt, not iodized salt, which has corn in it.

When you roast the chicken or turkey, use the drippings to make gray. Eat the skin. Etc. And then pop the carcass in the slow cooker with water and celery and onion, and simmer for 24-36 hours and you get very nutritious bone broth. Those are very sustaining things. Turkey meatballs. Baked chicken legs.

ANY food can be a trigger (my DS reacted to rice and chicken for example). Keep a food journal. And list all ingredients, and all reactions (are there sleep issues or rashes or any other symptoms besides the blood?).

I also recommend taking out the top 4 intolerances before going directly to a modified TED. It's likely to be one of those top 4.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#16 of 33 Old 09-29-2010, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLura View Post
have you had the stool checked for blood? Is it bright red?
Originally when we saw the specks of blood, the pediatrician tested some random parts of his poop and it was negative...but the blood we have seen has been bright red.
#17 of 33 Old 09-29-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Personally I wouldn't do oats (even if they're gluten free) when you're doing an elimination diet. Bob's Red Mill makes hot buckwheat cereal, and there's cream of rice. It's only for a couple weeks, but oats are a problem for many people. I would also keep the white potatoes out during that time, and just use sweet potatoes. White potatoes are part of the nightshade family, which is problematic to many people. And make sure the salt is sea salt, not iodized salt, which has corn in it.

When you roast the chicken or turkey, use the drippings to make gray. Eat the skin. Etc. And then pop the carcass in the slow cooker with water and celery and onion, and simmer for 24-36 hours and you get very nutritious bone broth. Those are very sustaining things. Turkey meatballs. Baked chicken legs.

ANY food can be a trigger (my DS reacted to rice and chicken for example). Keep a food journal. And list all ingredients, and all reactions (are there sleep issues or rashes or any other symptoms besides the blood?).

I also recommend taking out the top 4 intolerances before going directly to a modified TED. It's likely to be one of those top 4.
I cut out oats, rice, apples from the diet, because it seemed that there was more reaction. The last 2, 3 days, I haven't seen any obvious blood, but there have been suspicious areas ... I wish I had something that would test for blood, because sometimes it "looks" like it could be a poop curd mixed with blood...as it's darker orangey than the rest.
If I don't see any obvious blood in the next 2, 3 days, I'll start adding some food back...maybe start with rice, so then I can have pasta, if the rice is ok. How long should I wait once I've added a new food back, before deciding that he's ok with it? Besides, rice, I'd like to do some high calorie/fat foods, like avocado, first.

We don't have a slow cooker, but maybe I can make the bone broth on the stove? thanks for the suggestion and I'll also look up recipes for gravy...that's a great idea.
#18 of 33 Old 09-29-2010, 03:34 PM

for baseline!

#19 of 33 Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 PM

If blood in the stool is your only symptom, you can get home test kids (fecal occult blood test). Your doc should be able to give some or order them for you, but you can also get them at many pharmacies. I'd hold at the current diet until a stool test comes up clean. If it really is the only symptom you have to go by, I'd also introduce a new food, and then repeat the test 3-4 days later, to make sure the new food isn't causing hidden blood, before introducing the next food.

And your earlier question about fat - fry everything. Pour olive oil on everything. Seriously, I ate deep fried pancakes.

Good luck, it sounds like you're making fast progress!

#20 of 33 Old 09-30-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
If blood in the stool is your only symptom, you can get home test kids (fecal occult blood test). Your doc should be able to give some or order them for you, but you can also get them at many pharmacies. I'd hold at the current diet until a stool test comes up clean. If it really is the only symptom you have to go by, I'd also introduce a new food, and then repeat the test 3-4 days later, to make sure the new food isn't causing hidden blood, before introducing the next food.

And your earlier question about fat - fry everything. Pour olive oil on everything. Seriously, I ate deep fried pancakes.

I second this. And I wish I'd known about the home test, I needed that with ds. I had to wait for appointments and then they were negative.

How do you deep fry pancakes?

Mama to Noah (3) and Rebekah (09/2/10) femalesling.GIF
#21 of 33 Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Are these tests by prescription? And do you get the results right away, or do you have to turn them in to LabCorp or Quest? I'm pretty thrilled about not seeing any obvious blood...Hopefully the sensitivity will be to a not very common food.
#22 of 33 Old 09-30-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Are these tests by prescription? And do you get the results right away, or do you have to turn them in to LabCorp or Quest? I'm pretty thrilled about not seeing any obvious blood...Hopefully the sensitivity will be to a not very common food.
No, you can get home test kits at the drugstore that tell you right away, but it will be cheaper if your doc can acquire you some. I was just thinking that will give you some really quick feedback on the new foods you add.

#23 of 33 Old 09-30-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Just saw a speck of blood

I had butternut squash yesterday...I've been eating other squashes, so it's hard to believe that this specific one is a problem. Could it be something else? He pooped quite a bit too...and it was at the end of his pooping session (I was washing him up, and it was the last "squirt"). What do I do now? It was such a tiny speck that I can't assume that it hasn't been in other diapers, just maybe I didn't look close enough??? Although I've been looking too closely as it is.
#24 of 33 Old 09-30-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Just saw a speck of blood

I had butternut squash yesterday...I've been eating other squashes, so it's hard to believe that this specific one is a problem.
Sorry

My son was fine with butternut squash but reacted to zucchini, so it's definitely possible that was the issue.

#25 of 33 Old 09-30-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry

My son was fine with butternut squash but reacted to zucchini, so it's definitely possible that was the issue.
It tasted so good too...oh well, I won't have any more and see how tomorrow is.
#26 of 33 Old 09-30-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
It tasted so good too...oh well, I won't have any more and see how tomorrow is.
Remember that reactions can last for up to 4 days, so please bear that in mind if tomorrow is not good either.

#27 of 33 Old 10-01-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

I went to the drugstore and they didn't know about the home occult blood test. What's the name so I can buy it online?
#28 of 33 Old 10-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Here's a couple of examples (I don't know which ones are good):

http://www.testcountry.com/products.html?product=1107
http://www.meditests.com/fobtest.html
http://www.meditests.com/fecal-occult-blood.html

#29 of 33 Old 10-01-2010, 06:42 PM

Sorry Mamma!
For whatever it's worth lots of kids are sensative to winter squashes, nightshades (potatoes, peppers, tomatoe, etc.), dairy, soy, corn, etc. My son had one of his worst first reactions to butternut squash. Course, they can be sensative to ANYTHING, I'm finding out!!! It does sound like you're on a pretty good trend though. Keeping my fingers crossed that you can pinpoint it quickly!
#30 of 33 Old 10-01-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Would I test every poop or once a day?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page