Corn-free...HELP please??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You want grape seed extract, not grapefruit seed extract - two totally different things. Grape seed extract is an anti-inflammatory immune system modulator, it doesn't address gut issues.

Is it the Klaire probiotics he is taking? When did you start those? My son reacts badly to inulin/FOS, so it's possible you're getting a reaction to those.

No eczema & no scratching throat is improvement, so that suggests something is helping. Is sleep any better? How much methyl b12 are you up to? How much C (you want to be doing at least 2000mg of that). Have you added folate & folinic acid yet, that might be my next step, or some quercetin.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

You mean grapefruit seed extract is the one I want, don't you?

He's taking 3000mg C, the methyl B12, I would say 3-5000mcg. I have to order the other two still. He's taking the Klaire, yes, but I did not see an increase in problems from it, kwim? I just wonder if we have to get the carpets out of the house. I mean at some point I'll be spending more on supplements than new floors LOL. We had a quercitin mix before, but it has some sort of soy in it so we stopped, and all the others I've seen do as well or are super high doses that to me are way too much for his size.

I'm thinking of getting IgE allergy testing again, too. It would help to know a little more for sure what he is reacting to. He had a RAST done before, which can miss things, I wonder if a skin test would be better.

It just might all take more time, too. His sleep doesn't seem too much better yet, but I actually read somewhere it could take a couple weeks for stores to be replenished enough to see a big difference there.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 10-02-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
You mean grapefruit seed extract is the one I want, don't you?

He's taking 3000mg C, the methyl B12, I would say 3-5000mcg. I have to order the other two still. He's taking the Klaire, yes, but I did not see an increase in problems from it, kwim? I just wonder if we have to get the carpets out of the house. I mean at some point I'll be spending more on supplements than new floors LOL. We had a quercitin mix before, but it has some sort of soy in it so we stopped, and all the others I've seen do as well or are super high doses that to me are way too much for his size.

I'm thinking of getting IgE allergy testing again, too. It would help to know a little more for sure what he is reacting to. He had a RAST done before, which can miss things, I wonder if a skin test would be better.

It just might all take more time, too. His sleep doesn't seem too much better yet, but I actually read somewhere it could take a couple weeks for stores to be replenished enough to see a big difference there.
No, I mean grape seed extract, really . That sounds like enough C and methyl B12. Try adding the folate & folinic, but after that, yeah, I'd try some allergy testing. Sorry, I can't help you there, our stuff was never IgE.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

LOL Ok, I think I have two sets of advice then. One for grapefruit to kill any yeast in his gut, and one for grape for anti-inflammatory.

The only food to come up positive on his IgE last time was sesame, but it could have changed (like, I think his dairy one should be IgE given he gets a runny nose almost immediately, then stuffy, plus intestinal issues.) So he's a nice combo case lol. I'm mostly thinking about his environmental ones...mold, dust, etc...I'm curious if there's something new here bc we moved.

I appreciate all your help.
Grrr....he just found some eczema in his elbow crook. He does get it from dust mites too though. Who knows anymore!!!!!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 10-03-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Do you think it could have been the glycerin in his Tom's of Maine toothpaste? It's the kids' strawberry kind, but fluoride-free, and not the kind with xylitol. I think it's old LOL. ANyway, he was brushing with water all week, then I had him use that once or twice on Friday. Glycerin is the only possible corn ingredient I see listed. Or of course it's just coincidence, or something he picked up outside in the yard all day.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:46 PM

Yes, particularly if he swallows his toothpaste...

Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

What can I use as an alternative then? I don't trust him using just water, we've had a lot of teeth issues. I tried baking soda and he refused to ever put that in his mouth again LOL, can't say I blame him!! I read up on Tom's, and while they say there is no corn in their current kids' fluoride toothpaste, it still contains glycerin, which they say is considered safe but understand everyone is different.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:54 PM

I'd try making sure he spits out all his toothpaste and does a couple of swish rinses after brushing, and see if that's good enough.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

I need to add something else...his hands and feet keep getting itchy. I think that started this past week, it's never been an issue before. It's his palms and soles, which is exactly what happens to me when I have antibiotics I'm allergic to (or apparently use a "safe" carpet dust mite powder).

Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 AM

Is he on or off the Zyrtec now? If he's recently off, it may be that you're just now seeing symptoms that the Zyrtec was masking. Has he spent a week out of your new house recently - did things improve when you did that? (Circling back around to the idea that the VOCs from your house are filling his allergy bucket).

Old 10-04-2010, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

He was in day camp part of the summer, and no, he was no different really. Of course the Y has carpeting and who knows what is growing in it LOL. He was offf Zyrtec for a few weeks this summer though, home, when we started the food allergy testing. He was on C and Allertane by Jarrow (butterbur and quercitin) and his symptoms stayed away as well as with Zyrtec. Then I suspected soy and stopped the Allertane, since it has soy lecithin in it. I gave it to him for a while after that (Zyrtec) because he was really uncomfortable (the itchy throat being his telltale sign and annoyance), but stopped it again a week ago when I realized the brand of it we had was based in cornstarch.

Found 5mthf today locally...fingers crossed!!

Also, the HCAV guy was here today for something else so he checked the ductwork, and it's clean, so that's one more thing ruled out!

Old 10-06-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

DS's eczema is pretty flared up. Oddly, it's usually on his right arm, then spreads to the left. This time, his left is all flared and it hasn't gone to his right yet. Odd, huh? It makes me wonder about this whole thing though. Maybe it really isn't food at all. I don't know. I guess it could be the probiotics, but they aren't supposed to have anything in them either, nor are any of his supplements. If it was the toothpaste last week I would expect his eczema to have cleared right back up.

We've had a few plumbing issues in the new house, so drywall has been cut open, and I am certain that hasn't helped, but I have kept purifiers nearby when they have done any cutting.

A friend's theory is the eczema could be detox??

Old 10-06-2010, 03:40 PM

Yes, you could be getting detox from the B12. Antimony & arsenic are common in the flame retardants on carpets, and improving methylation helps clear them. Often with B12 you see a couple weeks of "honeymoon", and then a return of old symptoms, but for a different reason (detox = long term good thing, vs. reaction = not so good).

Old 10-06-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Just to make sure I'm clear, this could be detox, kind of skipping the honeymoon...and if this goes away, good? We had no honeymoon, just eczema a few days after starting. I wonder how long this will take?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:06 PM

If you don't see improvement in a few more days, assume it might be something else (not detox). Detox can come and go, but it shouldn't be constant for more than a week. You could also try backing off on the B12 (to 1 or 2 a day) and see if that helps (it will detox more slowly at that rate, so it might help with the eczema).

Old 10-08-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Just kind of making notes and thinking out loud here.....

His eczema is on both arms now. We started methyl B12 and the probiotics last Wed. The plumbers also cut the drywall out around our shower and a hole in the dining room ceiling. I did have the air purifier working int he rooms when they cut. Eczema started Friday. Sunday night the pipes leaked, so Monday they came and cut 3 more holes in the ceiling.

His sleep does seem more restful. He has come into our bed a few times this week and we haven't even noticed him in there...he used to be completely restless, pushing his feet into us, yanking our hair in his sleep, etc. I'm guessing this is more due to the methyl B12.

My own enviro allergies are bugging me lately, so I'm sure that's not helping anyone. But ugh his arms!!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 01:25 AM

If you're seeing sleep improvements, then that's a very positive thing, and suggests the methyl B12 is helping. It may also be causing detox (eczema), or you may have issues from the construction. You could try backing off on the B12 (smaller dose daily) and see if that retains the sleep benefits and decreases the eczema (then you can increase the dose again once the eczema clears).

ETA: You may have answered this above and I have fog brain - which probiotic and which methyl B12? It's also possible one of those has an ingredient he is reacting to...

Old 10-08-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Kleine Ther-biotic, the 100B powder, no allergens but is in a chicory-based inulin mix I think. The methyl B is Enzymatic Therapy B12 Infusion, free of scurose, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, dairy etc, ingredients are fructose, mannitol, cellulose, magnesium stearate, and natural flavor.

I do agree the b12 is helping sleep, which is awesome. And I should also mention that the C and B12 do help his enviro symptoms (his throat isn't itchy, etc) even though they are not all the way gone.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Mannitol is corn, I think. But sounds like mB12 and the C are helping with the a lot of the initial issues.

But personally I'd try going off the probiotic for a few days. Inulin makes my DS itch like crazy, and get little bumps (and he's not prone to eczema). If going off the probiotic helps, then you can look for a FOS/inulin free one.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

OMG you are so right about the mannitol! I took the label for what it said: no corn. It does NOT say "no corn products." What a dummy I am not to pay close attention to that! I will go out and find something new TODAY!!!!! Since that is corn, I'll try that first, and if no change in a few days, I will change the probiotic. Thank you for hashing this out with me!

Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Corn free is really hard. Really hard. If you can't find something locally or online, you can order from holisticheal.com - their mB12 mega drops are great, and corn free. They'll take a while to arrive, however! If you do need to order and wait for a few B12, try dropping the probiotics...

Old 10-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are corn-free also, and found a good probiotic from Kirkman Labs. My friend recommended them and they are soooo great. You can personally speak with an employee (or go online) and give your allergy profile to find the right supplement.

Also, we just found "Allegy-C Caps" from TwinLab. It says "formulated without the use of corn and citrus products". We bought it online but I think I may have seen it at the HFS.

Hope this helps.

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

Old 10-08-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Are the ones from holisticheal truly corn free? They do say they have citric acid and the source isn't in the ingredients. I really kinda hope this makes no difference...because quite frankly avoiding corn is going to make his life suck.

There were no corn-free 12's at the hfs, so I guess we'll try dropping the probiotics for a few days and see what happens. I'll hit up another store or two tomorrow just in case, but it's not looking good considering what I've seen online!!!! Does it HAVE to be sublingual?

I will check out the Kirkman probiotics too, thanks We actually have the same C already.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

OOOOh! The pharmacy down the road is a compounding pharmacy! Can they make vitamins?!?! Can I have them mix zyrtec for me and use that in addition to the supplements in hopes of no nasal symptoms?

Old 10-09-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Are the ones from holisticheal truly corn free? They do say they have citric acid and the source isn't in the ingredients. I really kinda hope this makes no difference...because quite frankly avoiding corn is going to make his life suck.
Oh crap, I forgot they added the citric acid (it's recent, my bottles don't have it).

Try the probiotics before you get focused on trace corn - because I very much hope it isn't corn derived stuff!

It has to be sublingual B12 (or liquid), anything else is useless.

Quote:
OOOOh! The pharmacy down the road is a compounding pharmacy! Can they make vitamins?!?! Can I have them mix zyrtec for me and use that in addition to the supplements in hopes of no nasal symptoms?
Sometimes yes - usually you need a prescription. They might be able to make you a corn free mB12 as well.

However, it sounds like he's been making progress - and if you use zyrtec to mask the symptoms, you won't be able to figure out what works and what doesn't. So if you can live with his current symptoms, I'd personally leave him off the zyrtec until you've identified all his triggers (which may improve things enough you don't need the zyrtec, or at least maybe less of it).

Old 10-09-2010, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

I agree....we'll wait on the zyrtec, I was just excited that the pharmacy is literally 5 minutes away. I might just ask them about the mB12 in the meantime, it can't hurt, and the bottle I just bought will be gone in a few more days anyway (since I'm trying to get DD2 to take them as well bc of her food/sleep issues, and I figured it would probably help me too....30 don't last long LOL!).

We'll stop the probiotics for a bit and see what happens (please, please let it be the probiotics........)

Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that sometime this summer he developed a circular white patch on his cheek or eczema. It has not gone away, at all, since he got it. It's almost a perfect circle, a little bigger than a quarter.

No change yet without probiotics, but I imagine it will be a few days to heal his skin on his arms anyway. And yes, as I mentioned in the main chat thread (lol) he eats a lot of apples...always has, but probably more so lately. They came up very low on his IgG.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Day 5 no probiotics, and the eczema hasn't gone away. Really need to find corn-free mB12. Anyone?

Old 10-13-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Day 5 no probiotics, and the eczema hasn't gone away. Really need to find corn-free mB12. Anyone?
As you are already dairy and soy free, have you considered dropping to a strict elimination diet for a couple of weeks to see if the eczema will go away?

I know it won't help right now, a friend of mine says that Innate Choice Probiotic Sufficiency are corn (and dairy) free.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 10-13-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Because of his sister's wheat problem, he is now corn, gluten, dairy, and soy free. And sesame.

His probiotics are corn-free, but he got bad eczema after starting both those and the B12. I discovered the 'corn-free' B12 has mannitol...so I need a replacement.

User Tag List