Food Sensitivity: Apples? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-27-2010, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it even possible for Apples to be a trigger for behavior issues? Ds has issues, and we were trying to eliminate dairy, but seems like when he has apples or cider, we have extra issues. Maybe it's all in my head and complete coincidence. I dunno, I'm starting to feel like maybe I'm just crazy.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#2 of 16 Old 09-27-2010, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My youngest has a problem with apples. It's a tough time of year for that.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#3 of 16 Old 09-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Could totally be the apples!! Definitely worth trying to eliminate them and see what happens!
#4 of 16 Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 PM

salicylates?

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 16 Old 09-27-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Is it even possible for Apples to be a trigger for behavior issues? Ds has issues, and we were trying to eliminate dairy, but seems like when he has apples or cider, we have extra issues. Maybe it's all in my head and complete coincidence. I dunno, I'm starting to feel like maybe I'm just crazy.
Yes. I have a sensitivity to apples and pectin which usually comes from apples. Look for pectin in all kinds of foods (jellies, jams, yogurt, and more) and sometimes supplements. Some foods are sweetened with apple juice too. It can be just apples; it doesn't necessarily have to be a problem with salicylates. I don't have a problem with salicylates in general.

Actually any food can be a trigger food, so it's good that you are being so aware. Keep a food diary for him and see if it's just the apples, or also something else. This is the only way I found some of my son's issues.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#6 of 16 Old 09-28-2010, 09:09 AM

Maybe even so much as one type of apple . I have identified that gala apples make my throat itch and my whole mouth tingly.
#7 of 16 Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

huh. Weird. They were gala apples, which is not the type we usually buy.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#8 of 16 Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 PM

I used to react to apples and apple juice, but only sometimes. I assume that it was because of different types of apples. The worst was other juices using apple juice as a base/sweetener.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#9 of 16 Old 09-28-2010, 05:13 PM

My two food-intolerant kids were both sensitive to apples. DD2 was off them for 3 years, and DS was off them for 2 years, and they both recently got them back, with no issues now (they still have other foods though). A food journal is key in figuring these things out. That's great that you noticed a correlation with a food even though you were eliminating something else.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#10 of 16 Old 09-29-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
huh. Weird. They were gala apples, which is not the type we usually buy.
I would try removing all apples and pectin and give it a few weeks. If that helps, then when you are ready, reintroduce just your "regular" apple again just once. See if there is any reaction.

#11 of 16 Old 09-29-2010, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
I would try removing all apples and pectin and give it a few weeks. If that helps, then when you are ready, reintroduce just your "regular" apple again just once. See if there is any reaction.
thanks Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking.

#12 of 16 Old 09-29-2010, 10:15 AM

google "oral allergy syndrome". I'm TOTALLY allergic to apples, carrots and most stone fruits. It has gotten worse as I've gotten older. When I was little I used to tell my mother that carrots "made me cough", she made me eat them anyway, now carrots give me anaphalaxis and my throat closes up.
#13 of 16 Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peypeymama View Post
google "oral allergy syndrome". I'm TOTALLY allergic to apples, carrots and most stone fruits. It has gotten worse as I've gotten older. When I was little I used to tell my mother that carrots "made me cough", she made me eat them anyway, now carrots give me anaphalaxis and my throat closes up.
he doesn't talk about it feeling weird, but he does have some sensory issues, so I don't know if he'd notice or not. Would that cause behavior changes (like hyperactive craziness stuff?)

#14 of 16 Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
he doesn't talk about it feeling weird, but he does have some sensory issues, so I don't know if he'd notice or not. Would that cause behavior changes (like hyperactive craziness stuff?)
There can be all kinds of reactions. Hyperactivity is one possibility.

#15 of 16 Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 PM

I recommend you all check out the following site

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/

Salicylate sensitivity can effect us all but at least 1 in 5 known to suffer from it. Many unknowing!

Hives, itching, wheezing, ...... even at the worst end of scale anaphylaxis.

If sal' sensitive then the only 'safe' fruits are golden delicious apples, pears peeled and cored and bananas!!

veggies are very limited too and corn is a definite no no ........ and I think, for me pectin too ....

'Safe' veggies include the cabbage family, onion family, celery, leeks, swede, OLD variety white potatoes without skins, maybe butternut squash.

all beans and lentils are 'safe' except borlotti beans

However to be sure check out the food guide here:-

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/

sal sensitivity has implications for adhd, hyperactivity, restlessness, poor concentration confusion ....the list goes on!

visit the site and see if symptoms fit.

alissal

#16 of 16 Old 08-21-2013, 04:59 PM

When my husband eats raw apples, especially when they're in season, he gets a red rash around his mouth.  Just wanted to throw our experience up on here. 

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page