October 2010 Chat! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
I don't know how that would work (the yogurt thing). Impressed on the cleaning, I just vacuum up dog fur and spot clean when things actually spill. But I love the fact that my floors are a variegated brown tile--EXCELLENT for hiding spills and dirty.
My kitchen has white tile floors, white appliances, and white countertop. Now you see why I have to vacuum/mop pretty often? I soooo want to get something textured and more colorful that will hide the dirt/dust.

Pat -- that's so cool that you got to meet people and learn new stuff. Must have been great for you!

I tried 3-4 recipes for mayo with no eggs. Never worked for me. I agree with the idea of tuna with olive oil. Or what about tuna macaroni salad with an "Italian dressing" type sauce (I've used rice noodles for this, and it's good the first day, just not as great the second day).

I got vinegar in my eye last night and it's still burning.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#122 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
OMG, I had to collect a pee test for DS this morning. First morning pee. Kiddo got up at 7am. He doesn't like peeing while I watch - it took until just now for him to pee. 5.5 freaking hours he can hold it!! Or rather, at least 15.5 hours, since he was dry overnight. I had to pee 4 times this morning already .
That is some serious dedication! DD could do that too if she wanted... she's held it for hours after getting up before, just because she doesn't feel like going. And then she fills up her little potty like halfway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Do you have a proper cast iron dutch oven? You could heat some charcoals on the grill then use them under and on the dutch oven to cook it?
I was thinking spices. I know cinnamon is out, and I think nutmeg and cloves as well? Does she have any "safe" spices? Vanilla's IgE now, right? I won't even bother suggesting citrus or nut flavourings. Rum?
You could try an apple pie... Just quinoa, oil and a little salt or sugar for the crust, pressed into a small pie tin then heated. Mix apples with honey or maple syrup and a little bit of quinoa flour to thicken and cook gently over low heat until tender then pour into the pre-cooked shell. Make a crumble topping, maybe? Still not a cake though, so I would ask the birthday girl before doing it, probably.
Nope, no dutch oven. Ooh- those kind of flavorings. Yeah, vanilla is big major IgE. Cinnamon is actually ok- we use it every day in her quinoa!! mmmmmmm, so many good ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
OH, what about an apple dumpling? Then you should be able to bake it like a pasty on the grill.

Like this (but with your subs obviously):

http://www.singerskitchen.com/2010/0...illa-bean.html

When it was really hot this summer, we were using the grill like an oven to bake stuff when we didn't want to heat up the house.
Ooh- that's a great idea too! Probably a little easier to put candles into than a pie too.

I love you guys.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#123 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
eta: Fingernail biting tends to be zinc, iirc.

Quote:
Biting fingernails, in DD, is zinc. DH can't taste the zinc solution either and he's been biting his nails off and on in the past year. Mouthing in general--when DD was young, she put a lot in her mouth, freaked out our old daycare provider.
Thanks for answering!!! I let my friend know about the zinc. it's her kids biting their fingernails and when she told me, I told her that was a missing mineral/vit as I had seen it somewhere on here.

Quote:
Low blood pressure is often adrenal related. It's not required, DH has had borderline high BP and I think his adrenals were worse than mine, but low BP is very typical. It's why so many of us love salt so much. When your adrenals get this bad, your body doesn't hang onto salt so well, and you need to consume more to actually have enough for getting in and out of cells. I put salt in water and drank it straight for a while, yucky tasting but effective for me. It's a long-term stress deal (life stress or physical stress or both).
Thanks! When I found out I was pg, I was just about to get on some adrenal suppls to help my adrenal. So I guess fries are on the menu more often now as I always put lots of salt on them. LOL

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#124 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 06:10 PM

As for cake. How about making a brownie instead? Would you have an recipe for that? I used the one from Karina's Kitchen glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com and it was good!

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#125 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
As for cake. How about making a brownie instead? Would you have an recipe for that? I used the one from Karina's Kitchen glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com and it was good!
Unfortunately, DD has started reacting to our safe chocolate chips. So that's probably out.

#126 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Should I consider it suspicious that DS has come down with congestion/a cold & DD has come back down with her half cough shortly after we've had over a week of wet weather?

Or should I just choose to believe they both are in school & probably picked up a bug?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#127 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Unfortunately, DD has started reacting to our safe chocolate chips. So that's probably out.
That sucks. Totally.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#128 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
My kitchen has white tile floors, white appliances, and white countertop. Now you see why I have to vacuum/mop pretty often? I soooo want to get something textured and more colorful that will hide the dirt/dust.
I don't let our cream colored cabinets, light wood floor & white kitchen table bother me in the least. If I don't look at them with my glasses on I can't tell that anything is amiss.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#129 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I don't let our cream colored cabinets, light wood floor & white kitchen table bother me in the least. If I don't look at them with my glasses on I can't tell that anything is amiss.

#130 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM

If I had my glasses off, I wouldn't be able to see that I HAD a kitchen.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#131 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 07:21 PM

BTW, a Mister Clean Magic Eraser does wonders for white stuff. It works so well that it is actually FUN to do. I have never seen any white that is as white as that thing gets things.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#132 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Enjoy Life? Could it be the cane juice? Have you considered trying cocoa?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#133 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
high five! we painted our white kitchen red and orange and brown and put in med/dark wood floors.

I can't find my wallet anywhere, and we're out of butter and oats and brazil nuts. Methinks dh and dd will have a store run while I cook dinner.

Preschool was a success, she loved it and doesn't seem overwhelmed at all

But... Where can I find info on normal child development timelines? I'm sure she's fine, just on a totally different path (hmm... wonder where she gets that? ) but some reassurance would be nice

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#134 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 PM

CS sorry to hear that she may be reacting to chocolate chips.

#135 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
After I got Lasik, I noticed a lot more dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
BTW, a Mister Clean Magic Eraser does wonders for white stuff. It works so well that it is actually FUN to do. I have never seen any white that is as white as that thing gets things.
It's not fun to do when it's an entire floor. Trust me. Before my SIL's baby shower here I decided I wanted my grout white again. So I took a toothbrush and baking soda and something else to it (4" tiles with those little 1" squares in the corners, so alot of grout). Took me a week, and within a few days, it was all dirty again.

I'm on page 10 of 14 blog entries fixed. Almost there... Then my brother just has to fix the search function! Then I can take it off my to-do list! And by doing this, I'm noticing a lot of recipes I should try again... cinnamon rolls, coconut bread, pork roast, salmon cakes....

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#136 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Enjoy Life? Could it be the cane juice? Have you considered trying cocoa?
I have no clue... it only happened when we were in MT a couple weeks ago, so I'm wondering if we got a bad bag or something. I just haven't gotten around to testing it again. Oh well, they made her a bit crazy anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Woo hoo!

eta: Yay Kathy!! Now I can finally go try some of your recipes, so I'm excited!!

#137 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
JUst looked over and she was washing her face and hair with apple juice One epsom salt bath later, and hopefully all is well? Come home dh, tear her away from videos so she can process it all!

#138 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 PM

I tried the Gluten Free Goddess recipe and it actually wasn't too bad. Way better than the almond one. I think I will try a cashew one next - love soaked cashews for creamy stuff.
Kathy, we're pretty grain free. Dd doesn't poop if she eats any amount of grains so rice pasta is out.
And Shannon, for some reason I just cannot do canned tuna with a evoo/lemon dressing - too dry I guess.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#139 of 938 Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 PM

Wonderful preschool news!!!

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#140 of 938 Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
I tried the Gluten Free Goddess recipe and it actually wasn't too bad. Way better than the almond one. I think I will try a cashew one next - love soaked cashews for creamy stuff.
Kathy, we're pretty grain free. Dd doesn't poop if she eats any amount of grains so rice pasta is out.
And Shannon, for some reason I just cannot do canned tuna with a evoo/lemon dressing - too dry I guess.
I think I missed something. what recipe?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#141 of 938 Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did everyone actually go to bed early? I guess that's somewhat time zone dependent, but still. I got to bed at a sorta reasonable time again, I wasn't asleep by 10pm like the day before, but an improvement.

Kids have done very well this round of ALA, stopping this morning. Now that we have digestive enzymes, DD is tending toward constipation (or at least not pooping every day) which has never been a problem for her, so I need to break out the constipation-type digestive solutions and see if that's part of her low-level stomach upset (the protein seems a big factor, but not all).
#142 of 938 Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 AM

I think rice trial did not go well.

DS has had it one day per week two weeks in a row. Not sure if I saw any reactions, maybe it effected his sleep, maybe not.

He just told me last night he had the itchies all over at school after eating it at lunch last week. He said he tried to find a mirror to check if he had hives but couldn't. He said it appeared at recess after lunch and then continued when he got back to his classroom (with 25 kids I guess the teacher didn't notice!!) but then it went away. He was fine when I picked him up from school that day and didn't say anything that day. He actually had rice again for dinner and I didn't notice anything. (Which doesn't necessarily mean much b/c I told him to go to the nurse immediately and have them call me if this happens again. I guess the next step is to check his IgE for rice since that was a histamine reaction?

This is too much along with everything else going on.

#143 of 938 Old 10-06-2010, 10:46 AM

My favorite grout and whitener is scrub first with Bon Ami, leave it on. Then spray with super strength H2O2 (Ecover or 7th Gen non chlorine bleach, it's like 5x the strenght of the drugstore H2O2) and let sit. Super white. We have a white iron kitchen sink that is a pia.

My cousin fowarded me a warning a long time ago about the Mr. Clean magic eraser chemicals, I don't know exactly why but I'm committed to chemical free cleaning for sure. I did love how it erased the scuff marks on on the white kickplates on our stairs though!
#144 of 938 Old 10-06-2010, 10:58 AM

Kathy,

Does iodine make you tired? It does for me, I assume that's detox ... when I take more than a mg. or two, I get the worst fatigue I've ever felt in my life. Like just want to lie on couch all day. And iodine is supposed to make you energetic too.
#145 of 938 Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
I think rice trial did not go well.

DS has had it one day per week two weeks in a row. Not sure if I saw any reactions, maybe it effected his sleep, maybe not.

He just told me last night he had the itchies all over at school after eating it at lunch last week. He said he tried to find a mirror to check if he had hives but couldn't. He said it appeared at recess after lunch and then continued when he got back to his classroom (with 25 kids I guess the teacher didn't notice!!) but then it went away. He was fine when I picked him up from school that day and didn't say anything that day. He actually had rice again for dinner and I didn't notice anything. (Which doesn't necessarily mean much b/c then STBX took over and he doesn't communicate well.... this is all in my head dontcha know.)

I told him to go to the nurse immediately and have them call me if this happens again. I guess the next step is to check his IgE for rice since that was a histamine reaction?

This is too much along with everything else going on. Of course I communicated all this to the "other party" and he didn't answer or suggest anything. Also he's officially nixing the thyroid doctor and chiro. No alternatives offered to treat our son. So tired and just plain sad. Need hugs.
Hugs. Hugs. Hugs.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#146 of 938 Old 10-06-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
My favorite grout and whitener is scrub first with Bon Ami, leave it on. Then spray with super strength H2O2 (Ecover or 7th Gen non chlorine bleach, it's like 5x the strenght of the drugstore H2O2) and let sit. Super white. We have a white iron kitchen sink that is a pia.

My cousin fowarded me a warning a long time ago about the Mr. Clean magic eraser chemicals, I don't know exactly why but I'm committed to chemical free cleaning for sure. I did love how it erased the scuff marks on on the white kickplates on our stairs though!
What is h202 is that like this?

http://www.ecover.com/us/en/Products...ach+Liquid.htm

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#147 of 938 Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm trying to pull all of our IgG findings together so I can figure out what to cook around here. Does anyone have a better knowledge of yeast? Both have brewer's yeast reaction, and DS also has baker's. Is this an allergy to it cooked as well? I mean, molds generally are denaturized when heated, aren't they? Isn't that why I can wash our bedding on hot and remove any problems with dust mites AND mold? Why steam washers are great for showers? Or am I missing something? I'd really like bread back. And to be able to give DS his pretzels. Whenever I find pretzels without yeast, they have corn syrup...naturally!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#148 of 938 Old 10-06-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
This is too much along with everything else going on. Of course I communicated all this to the "other party" and he didn't answer or suggest anything. Also he's officially nixing the thyroid doctor and chiro. No alternatives offered to treat our son. So tired and just plain sad. Need hugs.
I really want to come over and kick him. What a .

#149 of 938 Old 10-06-2010, 12:04 PM

In the face of contradictory evidence: Report of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans Committee
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.p...g-it-deserves/
http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article...289-3/abstract

#150 of 938 Old 10-06-2010, 02:44 PM

Bean soup for lunch. Jane
to all
Gotta get DS2 out of the kitchen!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page