Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: On a round ball...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple of months ago I took my kids (5, 3) to an allergy doc for testing. It didn't go down the way I thought it would and he basically did that pin-prick on the back thing for eight substances that are common allergens or that I specifically said I was concerned about.
DS's test confirmed what I already strongly suspected, which is that he is allergic to eggs. DD's test showed that she is allergic to Bermuda grass and that she is not allergic to milk--something I had always assumed. She had really bad eczema set in at 3 months old. She was exclusively breastfed. I cut out all dairy, and in 4 weeks, the eczema was totally gone. So over the past 5 years I've alternated between giving her almost no dairy and absolutely no dairy. But after seeing this allergist, I decided to go ahead and let her have milk. It's been 2 months. She is really itchy and has dry patches on her face. She has been sick for a week and diagnosed with an ear infection (I don't think she's ever had one before). The doctor prescribed amoxicillin, and it's a huge dose (she says), but that's because the bacteria have become resistant and it takes this huge dosage for it to work now. I guess I have 2 main questions:
1) Could that allergy test have been wrong? I asked about a blood test, but the allergist kept saying this is better. But then, he also gave me a vaccine lecture (kids are unvaxed) and told me that geographic tongue has nothing to do with allergies or anything else going on or going wrong in the body (I asked him because dd's tongue is white, bumpy, etc., as are mine and ds's). "It just happens sometime for no reason." Now I don't know exactly what causes it, but I feel like his answer was so...flippant, yk?
2) Should I go ahead and give her the antibiotic? She's never had antibiotics before. She complained 4 nights ago about her ear hurting, but she hasn't complained since. Her eyes are runny and crusty, though. I've been using an ear oil with garlic and some other things in it. I've also started her on a probiotic (Bio K). I have grapefruitseed extract around too...should I be doing something else for her?
She's been sick for 6 days which is longer than she's ever had anything, I think. I just feel like it can't be a coincidence that I've let loose on milk and now she's got this crud I can't get rid of.
Thanks in advance,