All about Ivy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-16-2010, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been a longtime lurker here, and recently I decided I needed to come out of lurkdome and participate. I have been trying to understand the methylation cycle and figure out our genetics so I can help my DD. This will be her thread. I'll just dive in. I'm going to put anything and everything in here that I think will be helpful. I would love some input.

Since my almost 3.5 yo DD was born she has been highly sensitive to personal space, sounds, light, smells and emotions. She's always glared at strangers, hated for other kids to come close and wanted to be held all the time. She also has a really hard time falling asleep and is very fearful. At first I just chalked it up to her being an HSP, but then I suspected she had some food intolerances so I took her to a HCP who practices homeopathy, Chinese medicine, uses pendulum dowsing for diagnosis and does NAET. She tested as intolerant to garlic, onions, apples, peanuts and a few other foods were bad for her, but I'm not sure if they were intolerances or bad in some other way. Biotin, trace minerals, eggs and goat cheese tested as really good for her. Over the course of a few sessions he did some energy work on her and did NAET for the garlic on both of us (I was also allergic). Recently, he prescribed Cuprum Muriaticum to address her tendency to chew on things. Since then I have noticed a decrease in her fear. After most sessions with him she became manic. I've never had her blood or skin tested for allergies. BTW, our regular doc is an MD and homeopath. Sorry that I'm a little all over the place.

In addition to the emotional stuff, physically she is very tiny. She was born at 37 weeks and was about 5 1/2 lbs. She has always hovered around the 5th percentile. At 3.5 yo she is almost 34 inches and weighs about 25 lbs. Her hair is very fine and thin and doesn't grow very fast. She has really bad keratosis pilaris, floating poop, a LOT of super smelly gas, funky fungal looking little toenails (since birth), and had really bad cradle cap. If she eats apples she gets redness inside her labia. Oh, and when I give her an epsom salt bath she is WILD the next day. She has a lot of mood swings. My husband also has KP, a lot of gas and fungal issues. I have the mood swings.

Some more background: When I was pregnant with her I thought I was getting a UTI so the doc gave me antibiotics to take before the test results came back. I took them for two days before they called me to say the test was negative and stop taking them. A couple of days later I began to spot. I spotted and bled for most of my 5th month. I was super stressed of course, but it resolved and aside from painful, swollen feet, the rest of the pregnancy went fine. She was born naturally at 37 weeks and was pretty small, as I said above. Breastfeeding went well. I had overactive letdown and oversupply, but we worked it out. She gained well and was happy as long as I was right with her all the time. She is still nursing. She would nurse several times a day if I let her, but I also have a 15 mo DS and since he was born it drives me crazy to nurse her. I wanted to do CLW, but I have been encouraging her to stop for the longest time due to my agitation. She has always been super verbal. At one year old she had about 50 words. She just soaks up language. She has sort of low muscle tone, gives up easily, and has always been a little slow on the physical side of things.

She has not been vaccinated or had antibiotics. We mostly use homeopathy and sodium ascorbate for minor illnesses. She had Tylenol a couple of times for teething when she was a baby, but none since. She doesn't seem to have any seasonal allergies. I use EFT on her quite a bit and it seems to help her. We eat 99% organic. Virtually no processed foods. I soak all nuts, grains and legumes. I have a wheat intolerance (she doesn't) so we don't eat much wheat. We eat mostly raw dairy, grass-fed beef, fruit and veggies. We don't do a lot of grains, but it's usually brown rice or quinoa when we do. I make kefir every night, but she won't touch it or any type of cheese.

Okay. I know I gave a lot of info. Some relevant, some probably not, but I like to give the big picture. Here is what I suspect: issues with genes involving seratonin and dopamine, issues metabolizing fats, issues with sulfur, and maybe Candida overgrowth. Any recommendations? I would love to hear recommendations for supplements. I have gleaned that she might benefit from pancreatic enzymes, bile salts and pine nut oil. Any guess as to her genetics?
#2 of 4 Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 AM

Things I'd try...

1) Get her tested for celiac. I know you said you don't think she has wheat intolerance, but a lot of her symptoms (floating poop, hair, tiny, etc) could be celiac. And you need to test her while she's still eating gluten - the test you want is a tTg blood test (there is a finger prick kit available if a blood draw would be a problem for her).

2) Try a ton of mag for her - at least 250-300mg/day, split into 3-4 doses. A lot of her emotional and sensory issues could simply be low mag.

3) Do a hair elements test for her - that will tell you her status for metals and minerals. Again, much of what you describe could come from mineral deficiencies or metals toxicity (no matter how good your diet, if she's not digesting properly, or you aren't, it's easy to end up with deficiencies). Chewing on things is classic zinc deficiency for example, and can be related to metals status. Sometimes we just guess, but for $80, the test is well worth it when you're dealing with this many symptoms.

4) Once you've done the celiac test, start an elimination diet for both of you. At first, I'd just take out the top 4 intolerances - dairy, soy, gluten, corn. I know taking out dairy sucks, but I'd do this for a week and see if you see any improvement. It's possible everything you see is genetics, but food intolerance seems more likely.

Once you've done these 4 things, it would be a lot easier to guess her genetics. She may have fat digestion issues (so ACAT+), or she might have celiacs, and once you pull all traces of gluten, she would do fine with fat, for example. Neurotransmitters can be out of whack for genetic reasons, but it's more likely they're out of whack because methylation isn't functioning well (which could be nutrient deficiencies or metals).

One question - you say issues with sulfur foods, is this just because of the garlic? She does fine with raw dairy? Eggs? (Both high in sulfur).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#3 of 4 Old 10-17-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! I'll get right on getting her tested. Celiac wasn't on my radar at all. Well, I guess it has crossed my mind, but so has every other possibility. I feel like I spend all my time trying to figure out what is going on. Ugh. Why is it all so complicated? I have such a hard time figuring out what is normal development and what is out of whack and can be fixed through nutrition or medicine. I'm sure most of us feel that way though.

As for the suphur, I read the sulphur thread and trying to figure out if garlic and onions sensitivity plus magnesium sulfate baths affecting her negatively meant she had some sort of sulphur issues. It was just a guess. I thought maybe someone else would be able to tell me more based on her symptoms. She seems fine with eggs and raw dairy, but then all of her symptoms are subtle and I have never been able to definitively say that a symptom came from a specific food.

I will also try to pump her full of magnesium. I've given her Natural Calm in the past for her sleeping issues, but didn't see a difference. If anything, she was less calm. I didn't divide the doses so maybe that will help. Thanks again!
#4 of 4 Old 09-28-2011, 08:34 AM

Why do you not also suggest getting tested for MTHFR mutation? Although I'm 41, I identify with Ivy very much...sensory issues galore! I just found out this week I am two copies of 1298 MTHFR. Makes so much sense and is really the key to all my questions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page