NAET and gluten - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Has anyone had any experience with a gluten allergy and using NAET? My DD is 4 and I suspect leaky gut as well as the gluten allergy that has been confirmed via a blood test. I am skeptical about NAET, but if it works, I'll be thrilled! Thanks! Looking forward to hearing about it!
#2 of 20 Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 PM

Some people have had success with it.....there are several on this boad who have used it and had great luck with it....we did not. For my son it was a total waste of money. It did absolutely nothing and we spent a ton of money on it. Very disappointing!
#3 of 20 Old 10-30-2010, 01:10 AM

I don't have experience yet, but I'm thinking about NAET for some time in the future. The thing is--first, this is my impression based on a conversation I had with my HCP a couple years ago, but I think if there's something physically wrong, still, then it's possible for NAET to help temporarily and then the same problem comes back, because the root cause hasn't been corrected. I say the conversation was a couple years ago because, for our family's health stuff, it's taking a while to clear things up and I haven't wanted to risk wasting money if it's not going to "stick."

The other thing, and this is just my personal gut feel right now which is subject to change, but I'm not sure gluten's ever going to be good for my DD or DH. The more I read about it and what it does, it just seems really challenging to stay healthy enough that gluten doesn't start doing damage. We're also dairy free, and DS has a couple very low level intolerances that have gotten better these past few years, and I think all of them can heal and I think I'll use NAET to help with that. But gluten's such insidious stuff. I don't mean to be a downer, but it seems like the toughest of the foods to get back.
#4 of 20 Old 10-31-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I agree Tanyalynn, DD probably won't ever be eating gluten, but she tested for dairy,eggs, some nuts, so I wanted to try something so at least she could eat some of that!
#5 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Im currently doing Bioset which is an offshoot of NAET. I hope it helps. It is not cheap but frankly I haven't found other things helpful and am willing to try it. It helped a girlfriend of mine a great deal so we'll see. And I also know of a toddler that it helped eliminate chronic eczema. 11 years after the treatments, still no eczema or any allergies whatsoever.....

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I am eagerly awaiting your input into that technique! We are still just avoiding and trying to get an appointment with someone in Massachusetts!
#7 of 20 Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 AM

Did you ever find someone in northern MA? I am thinking about doing this for my DS as well. Hes about to turn one and has pretty bad food allergies/intolerences. He reacts to everything it seems like even amino acid based formulas.

#8 of 20 Old 11-18-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

No, I haven't found anyone yet....still in the looking process.  Let me know if you know of someone!  Thanks!

#9 of 20 Old 12-22-2010, 02:27 PM

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I just saw it.  I had many allergies, including gluten, and was treated using NAET.  My husband also had a couple treatments.

It worked well for me, in helping me sleep better, not be tired all the time, feel more positive and happy, and not get sick all the time.

The problem with NAET, which someone else mentioned above, is the allergy can return if you don't eliminate the root cause.  According to NAET, you get allergies for many reasons...not only physiological reasons, but emotional as well.  For example, if you go through a traumatic event, foods associated with or eaten during that event can become allergens to you.  So unless you address the underlying trauma of the event, those allergies can return even if you were treated for them.

I was fortunate to have an excellent NAET practitioner who did the treatments and taught me how to self treat.  She taught me how to self-test to recognize an allergy and how to eliminate the allergy.  I wish every NAET practitioner would teach their patients this information, it has been invaluable to me!  For me, her treatments, and the information she taught me was worth every penny.  If she had been a different kind of person and only done the treatments, without teaching me how to use NAET on myself, I don't know if it would've been as helpful.  Some of my allergies did return, and it's great to have a way to recognize and treat them.

#10 of 20 Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 PM

hi

naet is great..im sure itll help u with your glutten issuse...just see dr divis doctors and follow diections..good luck.

coonsanders

#11 of 20 Old 01-11-2012, 11:20 AM

our acupuncture/ craneosacral persona lso does naet and when we spoke abt it she said she didn't know if it could ELIMINATE the gluten problem.  BUT other food sensitivities could be addressed and eliminated and the gluten problem could be treated and then she thought we could be less careful.  regular chocolate instead of on a special production line etc...  and we wouldn't have reactions but she didnt think we should go back on it totally.  trust your gut on this one!

#12 of 20 Old 01-11-2012, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2ady View Post

According to NAET, you get allergies for many reasons...not only physiological reasons, but emotional as well.  

Seriously?  That is complete and total crap.  Allergies are part of the immune system.  It's a reaction to proteins.  Emotions are not involved in allergic responses.  One more thing that completely makes NAET junk "science".

jocelyndale likes this.
#13 of 20 Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 PM

we haven't tried NAET, but have looked into it & seriously considered it at times. We have had great success with Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). It's always hard to choose which method of treatment to go with, especially because it's typically out of pocket expenses, but the one thing I've learned is that conventional Western medicine did nothing for us. Our allergist was actually nice to us about choosing TCM (he usually blows off our alternative medicine choices) & told me there have been studies going on over the past few years, noting the decrease in children's allergies because of Chinese medicine. 

SAHM to two boys & a girl. DS1 has eczema, asthma & is allergic to: dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, seafood, sunflower, yeast & garlic. 

#14 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 AM

TCM is not NAET. They are using traditional "meds" for things not saying "hold this and your allergies will go away."  I'm not sure how it all works but if I was in a total jam, I would try TCM.  Not sure I would with my kids as they don't seem to label things very well ;) lol

Saying that allergies are an emotional response to something?  Crap junk science!

jocelyndale likes this.
#15 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

TCM is not NAET. They are using traditional "meds" for things not saying "hold this and your allergies will go away."  I'm not sure how it all works but if I was in a total jam, I would try TCM.  Not sure I would with my kids as they don't seem to label things very well ;) lol

Saying that allergies are an emotional response to something?  Crap junk science!

I beg to differ.  How can you discount the influence of powerful emotions on our response to things in our environment, including food?  I never said allergies are exclusively emotional.  Obviously there are physiological factors which are significant.  We are more than our physiology alone.

That being said, I did try NAET, and that too from a great naturopathic doctor and it did help me, but not for long term.  It works on the same principles of acupuncture and acupressure stimulating energy points in your body.  If you believe the energetic system of our bodies is a bunch of crap science, then you will also see NAET this way. 

Nevertheless, for long term relief of allergies and digestive problems, I'm trying an approach which is hopefully addressing the root problem, rather than the symptoms (food intolerances/allergies being the symptoms.).  I'm starting the GAPS diet, which is based on repopulating the gut with beneficial flora and allowing the gut to heal.  I'm reading Dr. Campbell-McBride's book "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" which describes the role of a healthy gut in our overall health, and what happens when our flora is abnormal (which most people's are, due to antibiotic use, etc. as she explains).  It's a fascinating book, highly recommend looking into it if you have allergies or any sort of digestive problems.  I would try this route, before NAET, for leaky gut problems.

#16 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 AM

So you are saying that an emotional response opens the gut allowing proteins through for then body to react to?  I have never in my schooling or personal research seen anything connecting the two. If you have research to the contrary I would love to take a look. I have also never seen any documentation on NAET of people with blood tests, SPT, patch testing to back up an allergy that have *poof* gone away with NAET.  I think my biggest issues  are that A) they charge exorbitant rates per allergen and B) they just tell you "You're free of your allergy now. Go home and eat it."  Now if that person DID have an ana reaction to that allergen before and the Dr. knows that, it is highly unethical and dangerous to do that.  Not even in office to trial it.  Reckless in my mind.

#17 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:

I never said TCM was NAET, I just said we considered NAET but decided to use TCM instead. They're both alternative forms of health care. TCM was absolutely amazing for my son & that's what finally improved him. Our TCM doctor uses massage, acupuncture, herbs & topical ointment for DS1's treatment & while it's traditional in Eastern Medicine, it's not always accepted in Western medicine, but for us it's been incredible! The one thing I've learned from our journey with DS1 is that it's not worth choosing treatments that have science & research to support them because treatments like NAET & TCM do not have science & research, yet people still find success with them.

SAHM to two boys & a girl. DS1 has eczema, asthma & is allergic to: dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, seafood, sunflower, yeast & garlic. 

#18 of 20 Old 01-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:

So you are saying that an emotional response opens the gut allowing proteins through for then body to react to? 

I am saying emotional traumas can weaken the immune system in general, and yes can impact the gut health, and health of other organs.  What I've learned from personal experience I don't need research and science to back up.  There is, however, plenty of research backing this sort of thing up and it's a well known phenomenon.  To quote Wikipedia: 

"The stress response halts or slows down various processes such as sexual responses and digestive systems to focus on the stressor situation and typically causes negative effects like constipation, anorexia, erectile dysfunction, difficulty urinating, and difficulty maintaining sexual arousal. These are functions that are controlled by the parasympathetic nervous system and therefore suppressed by sympathetic arousal.[6]

Prolonged stress responses may result in chronic suppression of the immune system, leaving the body open to infections."

There have been a couple times in my life where I've experienced deep emotional trauma and yes it led to ongoing illnesses, including an increased sensitivity to foods and allergens.  My immune system in general became weakened and opened up to other harmful influences.  Maybe you are trying to get too specific with the exact physiological response that happens in extreme emotions...but the relationship of stress and illness is documented.  It's not crap science.  I'm surprised if you truly have not come across this concept before. 

Ditto to previous poster that if you wait for the "official" scientific reports to come out on things, you might be waiting a long time to be healed.  Research money in this country generally is given to pharmaceutical companies and allopathic modalities...very rarely is it used to research alternative modalities.  The thing is, like me, once someone becomes so disgusted with the methods used in general medical practice, why would you return to them for further tests after being treated alternatively, if you are feeling better?  Just to have the tests in hand to prove something to others?

Personal, anecdotal experience is under rated and undervalued in this country, because most of what's used to truly heal is not marketable and not a big money maker for some pharmaceutical company. 

*stepping off soapbox* I think I've hijacked this thread enough.

That said, in the instance of leaky gut issues, NAET would NOT be my first go-to modality.  Diet (like SCD or GAPS) would be.

#19 of 20 Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM

I have not heard  or seen anything on even ONE person with a documented IgE allergy being cured with NAET.  IF it worked, Eastern medicine would sweep it up and charge even more than they already do for it's treatments.

#20 of 20 Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM

hi

as a naet patient all i can tell you is that its grea..you have to go to the doctors on the naet website and do exactly what they say before and after the treatment to get the best results u can..i did and its really helped me.but like i say u have to use the doctors at the naet website.good luck.

coonsanders

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page