Nimbly Gnoshing our way through November Chat! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 886 Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 PM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
That's totally true, Shannon - we just use the drops, so I tend to think of those first - I think most of the sublinguals get swallowed with our kiddos (DH finds the sublinguals compare well with the drops for effectiveness, but he holds them under his tongue until they dissolve).

OK, MIL rant. She's been playing these dumb dress-up games on the computer with DD, which we decided wasn't a battle worth fighting. Last night, I walk in on her showing DD how to use google, and how to type in URLs, and writing down a list of dress up games URLs for her.

So I calmly explained to DD that the internet was a big place, not all of it OK for 7 year olds. That just like always, she needed DH or I with her if she was going to use Google, and that she could only visit sites we set her up an icon for (we create desktop shortcuts to sites she can visit). MIL's looking all mutinous, so after DD goes to bed, I show her some of the contents of the sites she put on DD's list (from lady gaga & paris hilton stuff to a game called "how far will you let him go". yeah.) And then I showed her some of the fun sites you get to searching on "dress up games" (I took my adult filters off to make a point). Her response "she's hardly going to get in any real trouble, it's only the internet". So she's banned from giving DD internet lessons now, and all bitter.

I get that she's probably clueless about the internet, and the perils of letting a very computer savvy, curious, and naive kid loose on the Google without supervision. But I also know the reason she was teaching DD how to do this and how to get to the dress up sites is because her mama doesn't let her do anything fun and girlie (the modern equivalent of sneaking her candy, I guess). Sigh. 3 more days. DH is ready to make her walk home.
Sucks. Hugs.. HOpe you make it.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
#62 of 886 Old 11-02-2010, 05:44 PM
 
tsfairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hugs mamafish. I hope the rest of the visit is uneventful.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
tsfairy is offline  
#63 of 886 Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks everyone! It makes a difference .

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
You know you can exclude certain people (or lists of people) on fb?
Yeah, but I'd manage to screw it up at some point .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post

I hope I am less of a control freak as I age.
I keep telling myself, "remember not to do this to your kids..."

So back in allergy forum topic areas, DS has been playing with his Halloween candy (squishing it, lining it up, stacking it). He broke into one of the chocolate bars by accident last night. I don't think he ate a lot of it, but some. This is my hugely reactive to chocolate kid. And then he slept through the night. Go figure! Maybe he just didn't get much, but I'll have to trial him on chocolate ice cream or something. I'll do it the last night MIL is here ... <insert evil laugh>

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#64 of 886 Old 11-02-2010, 08:46 PM
 
changingseasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
I'll do it the last night MIL is here ... <insert evil laugh>


DD slept HORRIBLE last night. No clue why. We're going to see the GI tomorrow and re-discuss all our options for figuring things out. I feel like we're really stagnant and I need some direction. Wish us luck that we get some.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
changingseasons is offline  
#65 of 886 Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 PM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post


DD slept HORRIBLE last night. No clue why. We're going to see the GI tomorrow and re-discuss all our options for figuring things out. I feel like we're really stagnant and I need some direction. Wish us luck that we get some.
Luck. I hope someone thinks of something new. I hope its a clear choice.

I feel stagnant too. I'm just frozen with indecision.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
#66 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 01:16 AM
 
Poodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are three days into reintroducing beef to our diet, which is the first thing we picked to reintroduce. We eat 100% grassfed organic beef. This evening DS broke out in hives. I honestly cannot figure out if it is beef or not however, because overall his eczema never really got better during the 4 week ED (in fact I think it may have gotten worse!) and I have never seen a reaction to beef before. We are going to see the allergist in the morning and I gave him a dose of Benadryl not thinking of the appointment, so now I am not sure if they will be able to do any testing!!

Plus as a bonus I weighed myself this morning and I am really scared at how little I weigh. I have had trouble keeping on weight while nursing DS and was finally putting on some weight before the ED, but since we started it I have lost 12 lbs and I am scary skinny. I don't know how to balance DS needs (to do the ED to maybe identify a cause of the eczema -even though I don't feel it is working) versus my need to keep on some lbs. I feel like I am at the end of my rope and we are just starting (but I think this is also because I am hungry all the time).

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

Poodge is offline  
#67 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 01:17 AM
 
deditus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In the LandOLakes missin the mitten
Posts: 2,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OM freakin G. That KitKat was SOOOOO not worth this. I have multiple new itchy patches - if I had an established relationship with a dermatologist, I would so be getting this stuff biopsied for dermatitis herpteformis. Sorry, all I can do is whine right now.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
deditus is offline  
#68 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 01:30 AM
 
changingseasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodge View Post
We are three days into reintroducing beef to our diet, which is the first thing we picked to reintroduce. We eat 100% grassfed organic beef. This evening DS broke out in hives. I honestly cannot figure out if it is beef or not however, because overall his eczema never really got better during the 4 week ED (in fact I think it may have gotten worse!) and I have never seen a reaction to beef before.
Often, when you take a food out of your diet for a while and then reintroduce it, the symptoms will be a lot more pronounced. Although it does seem strange that it would take 3 days before the hives showed up. No new foods today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
OM freakin G. That KitKat was SOOOOO not worth this. I have multiple new itchy patches - if I had an established relationship with a dermatologist, I would so be getting this stuff biopsied for dermatitis herpteformis. Sorry, all I can do is whine right now.
Oh, that sucks. If it makes you feel any better, my eczema has suddenly reappeared after a 2 year hiatus (although I'm nowhere near as miserable as you ), which means I'll probably have to give up all the delicious food I've been eating. Again. sigh. Big hugs.


I think DD is reacting to avocados now too. She slept REALLY bad last night- I think about 4 hours of tossing and turning, wide awake (and waking me up every time she moved.) Tonight, she slept a whole 1/2 hour before waking up crying. Should be another fun night. Tomorrow is our appointment with the GI, so we'll see how that goes. Oh- speaking of.... I'm trying to put together a list of questions to ask. Here's what I have so far; give me some ideas to add to my list!
- What are the possible scenarios that we're looking at (for why DD continues to lose foods and why she can't digest grains/starches/etc.): low stomach acid, lack of digestive enzymes, lack of gut bacteria....?
- What would cause each of those things? (thyroid, zinc definiciency, parasites, etc)
- Are there markers (blood/stool/urine) that we can look for that might point to one of these causes?
- If we do agree to the scopes, what exactly will you be looking for? Give me some examples of what you might find.
- Given those examples, what would we do in each scenario (medication, nutrition, etc.)?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
changingseasons is offline  
#69 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 01:49 AM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cs and Emily! I keep shooting myself in the foot, too, knowing that it's a bad idea to eat something but rationalizing and doing it anyway. My issue is that the worse I feel, the more I rationalize
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodge View Post
We are three days into reintroducing beef to our diet, which is the first thing we picked to reintroduce. We eat 100% grassfed organic beef. This evening DS broke out in hives. I honestly cannot figure out if it is beef or not however, because overall his eczema never really got better during the 4 week ED (in fact I think it may have gotten worse!) and I have never seen a reaction to beef before. We are going to see the allergist in the morning and I gave him a dose of Benadryl not thinking of the appointment, so now I am not sure if they will be able to do any testing!!

Plus as a bonus I weighed myself this morning and I am really scared at how little I weigh. I have had trouble keeping on weight while nursing DS and was finally putting on some weight before the ED, but since we started it I have lost 12 lbs and I am scary skinny. I don't know how to balance DS needs (to do the ED to maybe identify a cause of the eczema -even though I don't feel it is working) versus my need to keep on some lbs. I feel like I am at the end of my rope and we are just starting (but I think this is also because I am hungry all the time).

First, EAT MORE! Of whatever you can, just eat more. Losing weight can release toxins, and those toxins can go in milk and cause eczema.
Second, I've caused eczema in my not-eczema-prone dd on various elimination diets, due to nutrient deficiencies. Are you getting plenty of folate, b6, b12, molybdenum, magnesium? And by getting plenty, I mean supping for all of those, save maaaaybe folate? Those nutrients are common deficiencies and are necessary for decent detoxing. Eczema is a symptom of clogged detox pathways.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#70 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 AM
 
tsfairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
<-- me right now.

I've spent the day (when the kids have let me) reading all over the allergy forums and I'm so overwhelmed. I feel like I need a doctorate in chemistry to understand everything!

I just realized all of us have midline defects. No wonder we have so many issues! DS1 had a severe tongue-tie (clipped at 6 & 8 weeks) complete with the v-shaped front teeth, high arched palate and cleft chin. DH has the exact same issues, plus possible hypospadias as an infant (which had to be surgically corrected.) I have a high arched palate and I never realized until today, but I'm tongue-tied too! DS2, who was the first with food intolerances, amazingly has a completely normal palate and tongue, but a tight lip frenum (that he keeps splitting ) and his front teeth came in with a big space between them, just like my dad.

So... it's no wonder we're so messed up. I think we're making a good start, but I want to do more, quickly. I did get DH to finally start taking some of the same supplements I'm taking right now - B12, D, mag, C, bioplasma & a cheap multi. I know we both need more. What else should we add? I talked his ear off for like an hour tonight about all this stuff. He's very receptive.

DS1 is refusing to take any supplements now. He won't even swallow the melatonin he was taking so well last week. He will let us put it in his milk, but it doesn't dissolve well. He wants gummy vitamins. I told him I'd see what I could find lol. The good news is, he's been very even-keeled the past 2 days, except this morning when we had blood sugar and potty issues (he is very bad at "listening to his body" and often refuses to use the bathroom for hours after he wakes up) and we both had a little meltdown. Oops. Once we got those issues straightened out, the rest of the day was fantastic.

The highlight of my day today was DS's cartwheel performance, set to the Pogues on CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
OM freakin G. That KitKat was SOOOOO not worth this. I have multiple new itchy patches - if I had an established relationship with a dermatologist, I would so be getting this stuff biopsied for dermatitis herpteformis. Sorry, all I can do is whine right now.
Sorry. I ate some cheese sticks from Sonic about a month ago; I guess I was in denial about the wheat... yeah I paid for it - spent days HURTING, depressed and itchy. (Gluten causes all over body pain and major mood issues for me, plus the dreaded DH rash.)

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
tsfairy is offline  
#71 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 AM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

- What are the possible scenarios that we're looking at (for why DD continues to lose foods and why she can't digest grains/starches/etc.): low stomach acid, lack of digestive enzymes, lack of gut bacteria....?
- What would cause each of those things? (thyroid, zinc definiciency, parasites, etc)
- Are there markers (blood/stool/urine) that we can look for that might point to one of these causes?
- If we do agree to the scopes, what exactly will you be looking for? Give me some examples of what you might find.

Be really specific about this question. When I saw the GI doctor for DD it sounded more like they were going to go on a fishing expedition more than anything else. Meaning, there was no real smoking gun they were looking for that you probably couldn't figure out in another way.

- Given those examples, what would we do in each scenario (medication, nutrition, etc.)?
Hugs. This is so hard. I hope you get some answers. It's a terrible place to be.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
#72 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 09:50 AM
 
Sandrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had bad sleep here too last night. DD3 woke up with cramps and gassy. Still trying to calm her tummy. I hope it will happen soon. She's so bloated that it feels like we are back to step one.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Sandrine is offline  
#73 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 11:37 AM
 
FireWithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So sorry CS - wish we can help relieve the stress.

Mamafish - your MIL sucks.

want to update about the baby and cool/not cool things I'm seeing with regard to allergies - but don't have time now.
Forgot how hard it is to get baby to sleep and stay asleep with little ones around.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
FireWithin is offline  
#74 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 AM
 
changingseasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Be really specific about this question. When I saw the GI doctor for DD it sounded more like they were going to go on a fishing expedition more than anything else. Meaning, there was no real smoking gun they were looking for that you probably couldn't figure out in another way.

Hugs. This is so hard. I hope you get some answers. It's a terrible place to be.
Thanks. And yeah... that's what I'm afraid of. That the report will come back and say, "we found damage in her intestinal track." Well, yeah. Duh. That doesn't really help me much. But at least this GI is pretty nice, and willing to listen to my questions.

eta: thanks m2s. Can't wait for the updates! Hoping that there's more cool than not cool...

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
changingseasons is offline  
#75 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Thanks. And yeah... that's what I'm afraid of. That the report will come back and say, "we found damage in her intestinal track." Well, yeah. Duh. That doesn't really help me much. But at least this GI is pretty nice, and willing to listen to my questions.

eta: thanks m2s. Can't wait for the updates! Hoping that there's more cool than not cool...
try pming karen for better ideas how to be more specific. scout recently had a "fishing trip" scope. i think

eta: shoot just called her, hoping to give her a heads-up to look here, but I think she's at work. she has so much going on with Scout too right now.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#76 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM
 
True Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, not much time to chat but wanted to pop in and say my rash is still getting worse, I'm miserable, not sure what to do but go back to the ER today. It's still spreading, I still can't sleep well, it's like being covered in poison ivy that just keeps spreading.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
True Blue is offline  
#77 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 01:19 PM
 
changingseasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Hi all, not much time to chat but wanted to pop in and say my rash is still getting worse, I'm miserable, not sure what to do but go back to the ER today. It's still spreading, I still can't sleep well, it's like being covered in poison ivy that just keeps spreading.
Sorry to hear that. Did you stop taking all your supplements?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
changingseasons is offline  
#78 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Hi all, not much time to chat but wanted to pop in and say my rash is still getting worse, I'm miserable, not sure what to do but go back to the ER today. It's still spreading, I still can't sleep well, it's like being covered in poison ivy that just keeps spreading.
(not knowing much about rashes)
It's got to be some sort of detox at this point, no? Some sort of continual exposure to something, which makes me guess the supps you're trying to fix it with? Maybe take another close look at those?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#79 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 01:24 PM
 
True Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only one I've been taking is the Thorne prenatal, which I started after the reaction. Still spreading. It's crazy.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
True Blue is offline  
#80 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 01:45 PM
 
WuWei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the moment
Posts: 11,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
True Blue,

Are you doing bentonite clay, vit C, Epsom salt baths, anything topical?

Link to the list of ingredients in the prenatal?

did you stop the probiotics?

do you want to post photos of the rash? Where is is located, originating? How does it spread (with scratching, at night, with heat, )?

What new environmental exposures? soaps, shampoo, laundry, cleaning chemicals...

Pat

I have a blog.
WuWei is offline  
#81 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 01:55 PM
 
True Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Been doing Vit C, magnesium, Thorne prenatal (which I started 24 hours after rxn started). I've done a few epsom salt baths, but stopped because it seemed to make things worse (by the time I got out of last bath, my feet started to itch and now have rash on my feet too). Stopped probiotics. In desperation I've put hydrocortizone on with no real relief. No new soaps, detergents, etc, same stuff I've always used. I'll see if I can get some pics. It is bubbly looking, like eczema, bright red, dry, and itchy.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
True Blue is offline  
#82 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 02:33 PM
 
WuWei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the moment
Posts: 11,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
True Blue, do you have any plantain growing in your yard? Consider crushing a leaf and applying it to a small area (as a trial). I bet it would help.

Here are a bunch of other topical alternatives. But, steroids usually have a rebound effect.

Nettles infusions have a natural anti-histamine effect.

Pat

I have a blog.
WuWei is offline  
#83 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 PM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Thanks. And yeah... that's what I'm afraid of. That the report will come back and say, "we found damage in her intestinal track." Well, yeah. Duh. That doesn't really help me much. But at least this GI is pretty nice, and willing to listen to my questions.

eta: thanks m2s. Can't wait for the updates! Hoping that there's more cool than not cool...
When DD was going to go I asked what they might be looking for and he said "inflammation". And I was like really? You need a scope for that.

OF course the treatment was a year of steroids. Oh sign me up.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
#84 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 03:11 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Hi all, not much time to chat but wanted to pop in and say my rash is still getting worse, I'm miserable, not sure what to do but go back to the ER today. It's still spreading, I still can't sleep well, it's like being covered in poison ivy that just keeps spreading.
So... my sister got a systemic case of poison ivy, sounds very much like what you have. She was pg at the time, only treatment was internal steroids (which she opted not to do). Took 3 weeks to clear up though, she nearly went nuts. Were you outside at all, maybe doing anything in an unusual location outside in the couple days before it started (poison ivy isn't the only thing that can do this).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#85 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 03:46 PM
 
True Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
So... my sister got a systemic case of poison ivy, sounds very much like what you have. She was pg at the time, only treatment was internal steroids (which she opted not to do). Took 3 weeks to clear up though, she nearly went nuts. Were you outside at all, maybe doing anything in an unusual location outside in the couple days before it started (poison ivy isn't the only thing that can do this).
We were at cheer practice, but I didn't sit in the grass or anything. Plus I was in long pants, and it started on my upper/inner thigh, groin area. It was the same place the girls have had practice all season. I remember bc it got really itchy all of a sudden and I jumped off the floor of my girls' bedroom bc I thought a flea or mosquito got in my pants or something! Aside from that night, I wasn't really outside anywhere at all. I do have a dog, but she basically stays in the yard since we have an electric fence (it's broken right now, but she hasn't really noticed yet lol). Our diet has been plain since we are doing the no-sals thing, so I haven't used any different spices, etc. The only new thing are those stupid brussel sprouts! I think when I clear up I am going to go to an allergist and see if I can get tested for sure. Besides, this is so bad I'm petrified to eat anything in the same family now until I know, just in case I'm going to have cross-reactivity. I do not want to go through this again if I can help it. I just feel the whole thing surrounding the brus. sp. is so weird anyway, they gave me gas like that family of veggies does, but it wasn't until over 24 hours later...almost like I was digesting them extra slowly bc my body didn't like them or something?

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
True Blue is offline  
#86 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So. Totally OT.
The cat I'm trying to tame (yeah I know Not MY cat this time though. Not sure where she went after whoever let her out of the shed. ) came into our house last night because the door was open. No one realized she was here even though, until I heard her meowing then, when I stood up to see if I was hearing thing, I heard little claws on the floor as she ran away. So I fed her last night and she chowed down like she hadn't eaten in days (it has been about 4 days since I put food out ) and she came back today *during daylight* which she has never done before. So I put more food out for her and some water, but the kids keep scaring her off. I keep saying "she" but I don't know the cat's gender.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#87 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 05:08 PM
 
ASusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to jump in here WRT TrueBlue's rash. Please consider posting pics.

Systemic rxn to poison ivy also came across my thoughts. It comes out in the strangest places - upper back, chest, feet. I know WuWei doesn't agree with me, but I *would* turn to a short course of oral steroids if it was that.

The other reason I'm jumping in here - and asking for pics - is that DH has broken out in a yucky rash. He never has skin issues, and his allergies are all oral (OAS) or sinus (to pollens). Totally itchy, keeps spreading, started on the trunk, but moving to armpits and arms, groin and upper thighs, and around to the back. It is very difficult for me to see and/or compare to other skin conditions I know about because his skin is very dark. Hives were my first though, and I googled "black skin hives" and there aren't a lot of pics out there. I found one that looked exactly like what he has, and showed it to him immediately. Turns out it wasn't a picture of hives, but some horrible metastasis of blood cancer which indicated a late stage of disease progression and prognosis of 3-6 months to death. Yeah, that wasn't fun.

And, I have slight manifestations of a similar rash. I thought it was bites, but it seems to be spreading. Not nearly as rashy and full as DH's, so I'm not sure it is the same thing, but the timing is exactly the same for both of us. I scratched so much that I have a bruise on my leg.

No new foods, detergents, etc. We lead a boring life.

Are there ANY viruses going around out there that might explain this?

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

ASusan is offline  
#88 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
We were at cheer practice, but I didn't sit in the grass or anything. Plus I was in long pants, and it started on my upper/inner thigh, groin area. It was the same place the girls have had practice all season. I remember bc it got really itchy all of a sudden and I jumped off the floor of my girls' bedroom bc I thought a flea or mosquito got in my pants or something!
Was it you who had a weird systemic reaction last time you got bee stung? Maybe it was some kind of bug bite that you're having a big over-reaction to?

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#89 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 06:50 PM
 
deditus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In the LandOLakes missin the mitten
Posts: 2,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
- What are the possible scenarios that we're looking at (for why DD continues to lose foods and why she can't digest grains/starches/etc.): low stomach acid, lack of digestive enzymes, lack of gut bacteria....?
- What would cause each of those things? (thyroid, zinc definiciency, parasites, etc)
- Are there markers (blood/stool/urine) that we can look for that might point to one of these causes?
- If we do agree to the scopes, what exactly will you be looking for? Give me some examples of what you might find.
- Given those examples, what would we do in each scenario (medication, nutrition, etc.)?
I hope you get some answers and options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfairy View Post
So... it's no wonder we're so messed up. I think we're making a good start, but I want to do more, quickly. I did get DH to finally start taking some of the same supplements I'm taking right now - B12, D, mag, C, bioplasma & a cheap multi. I know we both need more. What else should we add? I talked his ear off for like an hour tonight about all this stuff. He's very receptive.
I swear that everyone who ends up here needs to take Thorne multi - the prenatal or a Basic Nutrients. I LOVE them and right now I take the full dose of the prenatal and pop a Thorne Basic B-Complex or a Basic Nutrients if I need it in the afternoon. If you buy from Vitalbee, the price is really reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
So... my sister got a systemic case of poison ivy, sounds very much like what you have. She was pg at the time, only treatment was internal steroids (which she opted not to do). Took 3 weeks to clear up though, she nearly went nuts. Were you outside at all, maybe doing anything in an unusual location outside in the couple days before it started (poison ivy isn't the only thing that can do this).
Really sounds like the (multiple) times I had systemic poison ivy, too. I have gotten poison ivy from such innocent places as my dog, carrying firewood in the middle of winter, and from garden gloves I hadn't worn in over two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
The other reason I'm jumping in here - and asking for pics - is that DH has broken out in a yucky rash. He never has skin issues, and his allergies are all oral (OAS) or sinus (to pollens). Totally itchy, keeps spreading, started on the trunk, but moving to armpits and arms, groin and upper thighs, and around to the back. It is very difficult for me to see and/or compare to other skin conditions I know about because his skin is very dark. Hives were my first though, and I googled "black skin hives" and there aren't a lot of pics out there. I found one that looked exactly like what he has, and showed it to him immediately. Turns out it wasn't a picture of hives, but some horrible metastasis of blood cancer which indicated a late stage of disease progression and prognosis of 3-6 months to death. Yeah, that wasn't fun.

And, I have slight manifestations of a similar rash. I thought it was bites, but it seems to be spreading. Not nearly as rashy and full as DH's, so I'm not sure it is the same thing, but the timing is exactly the same for both of us. I scratched so much that I have a bruise on my leg.
Did you consider scabies? I only ask because I had it as a teen and had to go to a couple doctors before they figured it out. I got it from a kitten and it went away on it's own shortly after I finally got a diagnosis.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
deditus is offline  
#90 of 886 Old 11-03-2010, 07:39 PM
 
True Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Was it you who had a weird systemic reaction last time you got bee stung? Maybe it was some kind of bug bite that you're having a big over-reaction to?
Yeah, that was me. I have the weird reactions. It's possible I suppose, but I did even remember to put on some bug spray that evening. I don't recall any bites anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
I'd like to jump in here WRT TrueBlue's rash. Please consider posting pics.

Systemic rxn to poison ivy also came across my thoughts. It comes out in the strangest places - upper back, chest, feet. I know WuWei doesn't agree with me, but I *would* turn to a short course of oral steroids if it was that.

The other reason I'm jumping in here - and asking for pics - is that DH has broken out in a yucky rash. He never has skin issues, and his allergies are all oral (OAS) or sinus (to pollens). Totally itchy, keeps spreading, started on the trunk, but moving to armpits and arms, groin and upper thighs, and around to the back. It is very difficult for me to see and/or compare to other skin conditions I know about because his skin is very dark. Hives were my first though, and I googled "black skin hives" and there aren't a lot of pics out there. I found one that looked exactly like what he has, and showed it to him immediately. Turns out it wasn't a picture of hives, but some horrible metastasis of blood cancer which indicated a late stage of disease progression and prognosis of 3-6 months to death. Yeah, that wasn't fun.

And, I have slight manifestations of a similar rash. I thought it was bites, but it seems to be spreading. Not nearly as rashy and full as DH's, so I'm not sure it is the same thing, but the timing is exactly the same for both of us. I scratched so much that I have a bruise on my leg.

No new foods, detergents, etc. We lead a boring life.

Are there ANY viruses going around out there that might explain this?
I will try to get pics later this evening. Also, funny about you have a rash, is my niece had some horrible allergic reaction last week and wound up on steroids too. I'll have to go find out what hers looked like. That said, it took a few days for hers to show signs of getting better as well. My rash is a little bubbly like eczema can be, and where it seems to be dying down some the skin is now very dry, I put some coconut oil on it this afternoon and that felt nice. Also, in some spots it's almost whitehead looking, but that seems to be the nature of some of the locations...mostly in my groin area where there are lots of hairs to be ingrown, and maybe a little in my armpits.

But putting it together with my weird bee sting rxns, my drawn-out abx reactions with hives for weeks, the fact that this is taking a while...isn't all that surprising, I guess.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
True Blue is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off