I think I belong here...Update - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 5.5 month old EBF DD has allergies, I think.

Starting from her 2nd day of life she was extremely upset, screaming, grunting and crying. I have worn out an exercise ball from all the bouncing we do with her in the moby/beco/ergo. When she was 3 weeks old I cut out all dairy. I didn't see an immediate improvement, however, about 2 weeks after cutting it out, I ate a bun that had dairy in it and she had streaks of blood in her poop. I have not eaten dairy since that time, that I am aware of.

I have taken antibiotics twice, once for mastitis at 7 days PP. And another time for a tennis-ball sized abscess when she was 2 months old.

She is now having vinegar smelling poops, and has a pin dot rash all over her body for the last 6 days. I have not vaccinated her, and she has not started solids.

She is taking Zantac twice a day for reflux. She sometimes gets biogiai drops when I remember and I take probiotics.

I take soy lecithin 2 times a day for blocked ducts. (3 bouts of mastitis and a breast abscess). I also take B6, fish oil, EPO, Flaxseed.

She is otherwise healthy and meeting her milestones. She has no weight issues.

What should I do? I feel like soy would be my next food to eliminate, but I can't stop taking the lecithin, I am terrified of another abscess.

Hello.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 07:26 AM

hmm, what about the rest of the top 8? Eggs? You could try to cut all soy, but the lecithin. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in, I know how hard it can be!!

Mama to Noah (3) and Rebekah (09/2/10) femalesling.GIF
Old 11-12-2010, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

I do not eat many eggs, but the day I posted this, I had eggs for dinner! No blood in her poop after that and didn't seem overly upset or anything. I can try cutting those out though.

She also sleeps terribly! She wakes about every 1-2 hours all night, which is a little exhausting! However, maybe she is just a bad sleeper?

Hello.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 AM

The top 4 intolerance foods are dairy, gluten, soy, and corn.  As a first step, I'd try cutting those.  I *think* there is a lecithin that isn't soy, hopefully someone will pop in with more info on that.  However, if you eliminate all the other soy you eat, you'd likely see improvement.

Note that zantac has corn in it, so if she's reactive to corn, that could be making things worse.

What probiotics are you taking?  Many of them are grown on dairy, and most also contain inulin/FOS, which many babes react to.

Ah, just looked up the biogaia drops, they're grown on milk, it says they may contain trace milk protein.  If you're giving those to her directly, and she reacts to milk, that could also be an issue.  They also contain sunflower oil and "medium chain triglyceride" oil (probably coconut), and some kids react to either of those.

Are you taking any other vitamins/supps?

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 11-12-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my goodness, thank you SO much! The probiotics I was taking do contain FOS! I am making it worse by taking those, my poor girl.

I can cut out all soy no problem, except the lecithin, but maybe someone knows of a soy-free version?

I will also stop the bio gaia drops immediately! I ate some almonds the other day that said they were processed in a facility that uses dairy and DD had mucousy stool.

I only take evening primrose oil (supposed to help with blocked ducts), soy lecithin (costco brand), b complex (organika brand), flax seed oil (life brand), fish oil (life brand).

Should I cut them all out at once and then add them back in, IE cut out gluten for a few weeks, then corn etc?

Hello.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:31 PM

If she's that sensitive to dairy, I'd take out the biogaia drops, and double check EVERYTHING you eat to see if there's any trace dairy anywhere else in your diet.  That might be enough.

Or it could be that she reacts to almonds - have you eaten almonds where she hasn't reacted?  Check the various oils you take, many of them have soy and/or corn, in the soft capsule, for example.

If you take out any remaining trace dairy and still have issues, then I'd eliminated the top 4 for several weeks (it can take 3-4 weeks to completely clear dairy & gluten out of your systems, but you'll likely see improvement a lot faster than that if you've eliminated the culprits).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 11-17-2010, 01:16 PM

there is an egg yolk lecithin supp, by natural organics, but I would prob avoid eggs, too. Ds has quite a bit of reflux, but I never gave him anything for it. When I cut out dairy it went away. Have you tried stopping it recently to see if she still has an issue with it? I have become a label reading fool, since ds cant have dairy, wheat, eggs, nuts, corn, choclate, shrimp, and soy.

wife to dh the love of my life, and mommy to ds 3/10 . I get to spend everyday with my hero and my miracle.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you again.

I have cut back on my soy lecithin and have cut out all over soy. I read labels diligently. I know so many of you have many more restrictions than I do, but I have lost SO much weight! I am 25lbs less than I was pre-pregnancy right now. I feel pretty good but I feel I am always struggling to find food.

DD still has the sandpaper skin/rash with a few eczema patches on her trunk. Could this NOT be food? Or am I kidding myself?

Hello.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

I have a new baby!!! My sweet DD has changed almost overnight...I commented to DH this weekend that I wondered if something was wrong with her, because she is just SO content! She also started crawling recently...it is like she is finally feeling well enough to do stuff.

So here is what I did, and I have no idea what helped, argh!

I stopped the Zantac.

I switched to hemp milk, from almond milk.

I stopped my probiotics.

I stopped the biogia drops.

Her eczema patches are clearing up, the rash she has had for months is barely there. She is only having one poop a day, whereas she had mulitple poops before, and they no longer smell strongly of vinegar.

THANK YOU!

Hello.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:51 AM

Great news!  I am so glad that you seem to have found a combo that works well for you guys.

User Tag List