Methlyation support- metafolin vs. 5-mthf - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2010, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm fairly new to the whole methylation thing... (truth be told, I'm still struggling to wrap my head around most of it)... and I had a question.

I was supplement shopping today and found Solgar's Folate (Metafolin). What is the difference between this and 5-mthf? Do I want one over the other? (I have many blocked detox pathways, but starting here first...)

And what brand do you recommend for 5-mthf... Thorne's?

Thanks, Mommas!

Melissa

Melissa, wife to the one my heart loves, and SAHM to three crazy boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Metafolin, that's folinic acid, right? The way folate works, there's a cycle. 5-mthf is used to link into the methyl cycle (for things like turning off histamine and estrogen and viral DNA) and then its recycled into something thats used to make folinic acid. Folinic acid is used for stuff like building new DNA and other purine-related stuff I still need to really wrap my head around. Then that form of folate is recycled back into 5-mthf. This last step is the one that uses the MTHFR enzyme. Food folate has a combo of both forms. I was supping straight 5-mthf and when I replaced half that with folinic acid, my mood stabilized quite a bit, and some random sneezes stopped. In short, both are better than folic acid, and from there, a safe bet is to use both (I alternate, one one day, the other the next) and maybe play to see what you feel best with.

In terms of brands, 5-mthf is patented, so they're all using the same stuff. Feel free to shop around for the best price or the best combo with other nutrients!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 PM

Yup.  We do 200mcg of each a day (I have to split capsules to make that work, but I do that anyhow, so it's not a big deal).  While food has both forms, DS sees noticeable impact from supping these small amounts, so I assume he doesn't get all he needs from food.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel

User Tag List