Wisdom needed for next step in healing... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 2 year old son who is dairy & gluten intolerant. Over the past 6 months, we've seen significant improvement in just cutting these foods out and adding more whole foods to our diet (including ferments). I've noticed that now it takes more exposure to the offending foods to exhibit a response... like he can handle more than before. (These responses have also morphed into more behavioral issues, which is interesting. Lots of loud yelling, crazy energy, over-the-top reactions.)

I definitely don't want to push the envelope with his system, so we will continue removing stuff and support his healing. My dilemma is-- what should the next step be? I've read on the boards about the importance of digestive enzymes. I've also read about certain nutrients he's probably needing at this point (zinc, folate, b12, mag, and mo... Oh my!) If you had to start with one thing, what would it be? I'm afraid if I do too many things at one time I won't know which thing has helped us.

Right now the only supps he takes are CLO (Nordic Naturals strawberry gels), Vitamin D gtts (Carlson's), and Vitamin C. I also give him Epsom salt baths, but we've cut back on these as he's going through a "not-liking-baths thing" right now. :)

Just FYI: our family has a history of environmental allergies, eczema, dairy intolerance. I had a mouthful of mercury when I conceived him and also had one filling removed while I was pregnant with him (before I knew what I know... *sigh).

So grateful for any direction...

Thanks,

Melissa

Melissa, wife to the one my heart loves, and SAHM to three crazy boys
#2 of 5 Old 11-16-2010, 11:53 PM

I would start with something mild but a multi, like floradix kids multi. And something to heal his gut, like probiotics, even if you are doing ferments, I would add more good bacteria.

wife to dh the love of my life, and mommy to ds 3/10 . I get to spend everyday with my hero and my miracle.
#3 of 5 Old 11-17-2010, 11:07 AM

I'd consider doing a hair test.  It's non-invasive, and would tell you if he has mercury issues.  It will also tell you some good information about his mineral levels, which could help figure out what supps he might benefit from.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#4 of 5 Old 11-17-2010, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post

I'd consider doing a hair test.  It's non-invasive, and would tell you if he has mercury issues.  It will also tell you some good information about his mineral levels, which could help figure out what supps he might benefit from.

Hmmmm... hadn't thought about that one before. Great idea...

I found a basic test for $99 that checks 20 minerals/metals. Would this work?

Melissa, wife to the one my heart loves, and SAHM to three crazy boys
#5 of 5 Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 PM

The one you want is the doctor's data hair elements test (not the hair toxic elements test) by doctor's data.  You can order it yourself from directlabs.com, and it's around that price.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page