what turkey for brestfeeding elimination diet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-16-2010, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did you roast your own turkey? Buy lunch meat?

Not sure how extreme is needed. Been casein free for 3 weeks, and all other allergens for 1.5 weeks  - but things are not improving and I'm ready to go hardcore (Sears TED).

nak.gif

#2 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 AM

NO lunch meat- most lunchmeat has dairy in it, along with corn and other allergens.  Best to roast your own.

What do you mean by "all other allergens"?  What are you avoiding right now?  Are you already avoiding dairy, soy, eggs, corn, and gluten?  Those are the most common triggers.  A TED should really be a last resort, because it is hard- physically and emotionally.  And honestly, the Dr. Sears TED isn't that great- it has some allergenic/inflammatory foods listed (like potatoes.. I don't remember what else is on there.)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

DS is GFCF, low carb, and sugar free (autism and anti-yeast diet), so I'm pretty familiar with hidden ingredients.  I've been off gluten, soy, corn, eggs, nuts, citrus, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers...  Mainly eating GF oatmeal, hemp seeds, little sugar, chicken made with herbs, ghee, yams, white potatoes, rice, quinoa, rice milk, homemade bread (by me), beef, olive oil, spinach, carrots, apples, bananas, peaches, stawberries, sunbutter, strawberry jam, pumpkin, pumpkin seeds.  Most of it is organic, few ingredients, from Trader Joe's, etc.  There might be trace amounts in some of the prepacked things, but I was REALLY hoping she wasn't that sensitive.

DD is 4.5 weeks old, silent reflux and very gassy (reflux runs in the family).  It keeps her from falling asleep or wakes her early.  She has occasional bits of green in her stool, though they seem more slimey than seedy anymore.  The entire week before I eliminated all the other stuff, they were totally slimy green, but went back to mustard 3 days after starting.  The seedy mustard poo hasn't been seen since she was 2 weeks old.  When I pick her up after waking, she frequently has a burp and I can hear her reflux and gasp in the middle of the night.  We're doing all the other typical reflux tricks like keeping upright, raising mattress, etc.  If she could sleep vertically, I think she'd be a happy camper.  She's also been on biogaia probiotics for 3 weeks, zantac (boo!) for 3.5 days, and I've been taking digestive enzymes for 4.5 days.

At this point, I'm ready to try any other dietary restrictions to cover all my bases before I throw in the towel, so I'd love to know your opinion on what to eliminate to. 

#4 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 AM

Have you tried eliminating the ghee?  My DD is IgE to dairy, which means she "should" be able to tolerate ghee since all the proteins are removed, but when I ate it (when she was younger) and then nursed her, she got hives.  Some people are really sensitive to more than just the protein, so I would try that first.

#5 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperiod View Post

DS is GFCF, low carb, and sugar free (autism and anti-yeast diet), so I'm pretty familiar with hidden ingredients.  I've been off gluten, soy, corn, eggs, nuts, citrus, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers...  Mainly eating GF oatmeal, hemp seeds, little sugar, chicken made with herbs, ghee, yams, white potatoes, rice, quinoa, rice milk, homemade bread (by me), beef, olive oil, spinach, carrots, apples, bananas, peaches, stawberries, sunbutter, strawberry jam, pumpkin, pumpkin seeds.  Most of it is organic, few ingredients, from Trader Joe's, etc.  There might be trace amounts in some of the prepacked things, but I was REALLY hoping she wasn't that sensitive.

DD is 4.5 weeks old, silent reflux and very gassy (reflux runs in the family).  It keeps her from falling asleep or wakes her early.  She has occasional bits of green in her stool, though they seem more slimey than seedy anymore.  The entire week before I eliminated all the other stuff, they were totally slimy green, but went back to mustard 3 days after starting.  The seedy mustard poo hasn't been seen since she was 2 weeks old.  When I pick her up after waking, she frequently has a burp and I can hear her reflux and gasp in the middle of the night.  We're doing all the other typical reflux tricks like keeping upright, raising mattress, etc.  If she could sleep vertically, I think she'd be a happy camper.  She's also been on biogaia probiotics for 3 weeks, zantac (boo!) for 3.5 days, and I've been taking digestive enzymes for 4.5 days.

At this point, I'm ready to try any other dietary restrictions to cover all my bases before I throw in the towel, so I'd love to know your opinion on what to eliminate to. 

I think before you try a TED, I'd try:

1) taking out the biogaia probiotics - like I think I said in another thread, those are grown on dairy, so if she's very dairy sensitive, that could be an issue. Klaire makes an infant one that is truly dairy free, I think.

2) zantac has corn, so no point going off corn unless you go off the zantac as well

3) eliminate the most likely suspicious foods from your current list - in my mind, those would be:  ghee, GF oatmeal (lots of kids that react to gluten can't do GF oatmeal), potatoes, apples, strawberries, all nuts & seeds.  What's in your homemade bread?

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#6 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 11:32 AM

The herbs are also suspect as a gluten concern. Are you using McCormick brand single herbs? Those are the only ones of which I'm aware which are gluten free (barring home grown or fresh).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#7 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I've only had ghee twice, on day 8 and yesterday.  Didn't notice anything different.

I've been concerned about the rice.  Do you think quinoa is okay or should I try grain free?  What about sweet pototoes/yams?  All squash okay?  Pears? avocado?  I'm about to send DH to the store for supplies.  I'm afraid to eat today.

Bread is sorghum, rice, arrowroot, egg replacer, guar gum, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil? and rice milk, I think off the top of my head.  But I haven't had any since Sunday and no changes.

Really think I should give up the probiotics?  I take VSL#3 which has trace dairy, but almost everyone in the autism community with kids GFCF tolerate it just fine.

#8 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM

I know that being scared to eat anything feeling - huge hugs to you.

My son is autistic - there's a big difference between GFCF for autism (which means just avoiding the milk & gluten proteins, and trace amounts are often not a problem), and food intolerance to gluten & dairy, where trace amounts and non-protein parts of the foods can be a big issue.  For example, ghee is legal for autism GFCF diets, but many kids here with dairy intolerance react to ghee (because it's almost impossible to truly get 100% of the milk proteins out, or because they react to other parts of milk, not just the protein).

If rice concerns you, at this point I'd try some rotating, rather than totally removing.  For example, pick 4 grains, and eat only one each day in a rotational way.  If rice is a problem, and you track symptoms, you should notice if you see a pattern of reactions after the rice day, for example.  It could also be that she's reacting to something in the rice milk besides the rice - what are the other ingredients (many contain trace corn).

Have you been on the VSL#3 the whole time (capsules or powder, the powder has maltose, which is usually corn)?  Probiotics that produce D-lactate gave my son awful stomach issues (he's on d-lactate free probiotics now), so you might also try a few days off that and see what happens.

#9 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  Is there a list somewhere for the hidden names of corn?  That's the one I'm least familiar with.  I also realized my D3 vitamin has corn and sunflower oil. sigh...

I chiro said she smelled like cheese today.  We noticed her breath changed smells the morning after I started digestive enzymes.  It is sort of a weird milky sour smell, not as sour as before when she'd spit up though, but weird all the time.  I started out on my son's houston trienza and now I'm on twinlabs pancreatin which is free of everything.

The VSL#3 is capsules and I took them throughout my pregnancy too. 

Roasting my free range turkey now...

#10 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 PM

Check out my blog- I have a few different websites listing hidden corn there.  (I think you click my name, or the arrow by my name, then homepage... not sure how it works since they switched the forum.)

Corn is HARD.  Seriously.  Worst thing to avoid next to soy.  It is seriously in everything.  I guarantee you that you won't find a multivitamin that doesn't have corn derivatives in it (and usually soy too.)  A couple corn-free things that I have are the TwinLab Allerg-C and I use Pure Encapsulations D3 capsules.

I just got some Houston enzyme samples, and they don't say free of corn.  The ingredients list "vegetable cellulose" which may be corn.  They also have coconut oil in them if you're avoiding coconut.   I also got some Enzymedica enzyme samples, and those do say free of corn (and everything else.)

The thing to watch out for is that a lot of stuff will say "corn-free" when in fact it has a derivative made of corn.  But they can say that if the proteins are removed.  Some people are ok with that level of processing, some aren't.  Sometimes it's easiest to just stop all supplements for a week or so, and then add them back in one at a time.

#11 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the corn info. 

Another question, do you think I could make/eat bone broth from the turkey carcass?  The recipe I have is with garlic, celery, onions, and carrots...  I've been avoiding onions, but I'm unsure about the rest now.  Guess I could make it and save it, but figured it'd be healthy for me now.

#12 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 08:59 PM

Depends if you're trying to do a full out TED or not.  Any food in the broth would count as something you're eating.  You can do just plain broth though, and use it to cook your grains in, that's yummy & nutritious.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page