Is Corn the Culprit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

5yrold DD just started an elimination diet this past week.  We are working on starting a food diary and have taken out all of the know allergens/sens.: gluten, yeast, nuts (peanuts & walnuts but we're doing all), moldy cheese & cottage cheese, cantaloupe, chicken & turkey.

The first thing she said when we talked about her allergies was, "I'm not allergic to corn!" (DS is allegic to corn and it has been hard, as alot of you know).

DD had several fresh corn tortillas yesterday afternoon and within 20 minutes after dinner (TJ's G-free pasta, tomato sauce, asapargas, avocado, olive oil, salt) she was bouncing off the walls and very disrespectful.  Then, last night she peed in bed--which hasn't happened in months!  I am determined to think it was food-related.  What do you think?

Yesterday before dinner we went to the store and DD & DH went to the place where they make the tortillas (in a machine).  He asked if they make anything else on the machine (No).  Also, did they prepare anything else where they mix the maseca (No).  They said they use only maseca and water.  The area where they make the flour tortillas is on the opposite side of the room and the machine is 3-5' from the corn-tortilla machine.  And, they hadn't made any flour tortillas that day. 

Could DD be allergic to corn, too?  What are your guesses/experiences?

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

probably. maybe you could wait a few days and trial on something that is labeled gluten-free (maybe gorilla crunch cereal by enviro-kidz)?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Do you trust EnviroKidz cereal for nut allergies since they also process nut products?

I'm having a hard time finding things with no gluten, no nuts and no yeast.  Normally, I can just bake and make things at home, but I am planning a trip and need to have some convenience foods. :)

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

Old 11-22-2010, 09:21 AM

try a regular corn thing like frozen corn as a trial so that nothing else is mixed in with it. Since it's one of the top 4, it's unfortunately likely, and yes, very difficult. It's one of the things I miss the most - the convenience, the versatility, etc. but it is what it is. And it's the ones that my kids want to trial first (they're pretty vocal about it too). Are you keeping a food journal? Sometimes it's easier with people to show the cause and affect so that they can't refute it out of hand and give lots of excuses.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 11-22-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraplayas View Post

Do you trust EnviroKidz cereal for nut allergies since they also process nut products?

I'm having a hard time finding things with no gluten, no nuts and no yeast.  Normally, I can just bake and make things at home, but I am planning a trip and need to have some convenience foods. :)

i only have problems with peanuts so i'm not sure if they would have any of the other nuts around them. sorry. redface.gif

Old 11-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Given what you had for dinner, the other possibility is salicylates (high in tomato sauce avocado, olive oil) - and pee accidents are quite common salicylates reaction, as is bouncing off the walls.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 11-22-2010, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds is intolerant at this time to All nuts, soy, dairy, gluten, chocolate, shrimp, eggs, and corn. The corn and the chocolate we learned of last week and after removing both of those from my diet, he slept from 930 pm to 730 am. He has NEVER done this since birth 8 1/2 mos ago. I am CONVINCED the worse offender is corn for him (followed by dairy). He is happy during the day now, not ALWAYS on the verge of a meltdown. Also, gmo and non gmo corn are different reaction wise for some.

wife to dh the love of my life, and mommy to ds 3/10 . I get to spend everyday with my hero and my miracle.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Oh boy, is there a thread that you could refer me to learn more about salicylates?  Like why neither of them tested on IgG for those foods?  (Pardon my ignorance, what a learning curve!)

Thanks for helping me out, y'all. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post

Given what you had for dinner, the other possibility is salicylates (high in tomato sauce avocado, olive oil) - and pee accidents are quite common salicylates reaction, as is bouncing off the walls.

User Tag List