Delicious December 2010 Chat - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

That's kind of cool about your cousin, if his fiance is happy about it. Which from your smilies, it sounds like she is. So that's neat.

I'd better get some B6. He's already on Mag. 

I'm not entirely certain how she's feeling about it, to be truthful. It seems that both grandmothers are looking forward to it though, and she (the fiancee) has her U/S pic as her profile on FB... they already have one boy together who's 3ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dootsmama View Post

Kathy - I've used allergy grocer but MUCH prefer navanfoods.com

I don't recognize you. Welcome?

I haven't heard of navanfoods.. used allergygrocer once

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfairy View Post

My sister has 2 sets of fraternal twins (3rd and 6th pregnancies) and 3 singletons. My other sister has a set of identical twin girls (3rd pg) and one singleton. I've been pregnant 2 times... can you see why I'm reluctant to get pregnant again? lol

Aside from my incredible odds because of my sisters, both of my grandfathers were singletons with a set of twin brothers. I think there's a set of triplets in there somewhere too. 

twins...

my first m/c was twins, i have twin brothers, twin aunts, twin cousins, twin great-great uncles and 3 sets twin great-great-great aunts of which I'm aware. to my knowledge all fraternal... and another set of triplet cousins... and a couple of relatives who are single-survivor twins. I keep thinking of more relatives as I write this. eyesroll.gif it's on both my mother's and father's sides

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#302 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss_understood View Post

Quote:

That's kind of cool about your cousin, if his fiance is happy about it. Which from your smilies, it sounds like she is. So that's neat.

I'd better get some B6. He's already on Mag. 

I'm not entirely certain how she's feeling about it, to be truthful. It seems that both grandmothers are looking forward to it though, and she (the fiancee) has her U/S pic as her profile on FB... they already have one boy together who's 3ish

Quote:

I don't recognize you. Welcome?

I haven't heard of navanfoods.. used allergygrocer once

Quote:

My sister has 2 sets of fraternal twins (3rd and 6th pregnancies) and 3 singletons. My other sister has a set of identical twin girls (3rd pg) and one singleton. I've been pregnant 2 times... can you see why I'm reluctant to get pregnant again? lol

Aside from my incredible odds because of my sisters, both of my grandfathers were singletons with a set of twin brothers. I think there's a set of triplets in there somewhere too. 

twins...

my first m/c was twins, i have twin brothers, twin aunts, twin cousins, twin great-great uncles and 3 sets twin great-great-great aunts of which I'm aware. to my knowledge all fraternal... and another set of triplet cousins... and a couple of relatives who are single-survivor twins. I keep thinking of more relatives as I write this. eyesroll.gif it's on both my mother's and father's sides

Holy cow. That's a lot of twins. When I was carrying DS, I thought I was having twins just because I (he) was so big. But it was all just him. My DH has fraternal twin cousins but that's it. And I have no cousins. There's a lot of only children in my family. Huh... I wonder what it all means.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#303 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Kathy--I don't know how exactly how much the antibiotics for lyme are like chelating, in the sense of changing stuff, but it seems like both increase vit/min needs, don't they?  It's the trace corn in most supps that your DS can't handle, right?  Ugh... I don't have a good solution.  Well... did you check into the Perque multivit?  Perque Life Guard.  It's meant for adults, but 1/day or 1 every other day for a kid seems reasonable... I *think* I remember a no-corn rant on their website.  I ask because I see them for sale on vitalbee.com and they haven't been there in the past, they used to be through HCPs only (not the whole Perque line, but I couldn't find the multivits). 

Quote:

I had to double-check your post count--there were so many name changes for a while there with the change in platform, I was wondering if you were new or someone I needed to add to my mental spreadsheet of old/new online names.  Welcome to Chat!  And welcome to MDC too. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post

My grandmother had 3 sets of fraternal twins, and only 1 singleton.  My mom had a stillborn twin brother, she has a single sister, twin brothers, and my grandmother lost twin girls.  Amazingly, no other twins have turned up yet despite my mom having 2 children and her sister having 3.  There are so far 5 great-grandchildren, no twins.  I keep thinking it's going to be me, and if I turn up pregnant now from DH's indiscretion a little over a week ago...well it would be my fourth pregnancy (which increases twin risk in and of itself).  IDK what I would do, either be excited or cry LOL.  I definitely would have to send DS to school next year LOL!!  Maybe my sister will have the twins. ROTFLMAO.gif

That's a lot of twins.  bigeyes.gif

Quote:

That's a lot of twins too!  bigeyes.gif

Quote:

twins...

That's a whole heckuva lotta twins!  yikes2.gif

There are no twins in my family and I think the handful of times I've felt what seem like two separate ovulations in one cycle, it's often coincided with big changes in stress, either more or less, but I still don't think it's more than the rate of 1-in-8 conceptions that I read once--births are a less because very, very early losses change quite a few to singleton pregnancies before anyone knows (I've wondered if that happened with my pregnancy with DD--oh, and that was a stressful time, wasn't it, I never twigged to those being connected--it was a few weeks after FIL died).  But I really don't think I'm at higher likelihood like so many of you seem to be--I just wonder since I'm getting older, I'll turn 36 in the spring, and fingersx.gif that next year TTC goes well, that ends up with me being 37 when that LO is born... and DH and I have talked about one more after that. 

So, I think my energy is trending back toward normal, this is good.  I should be cooking now, a few more minutes at the computer and I will.  I think I will plan for an early night for the kids--a neighbor invited us to a performance at her church--there are language barriers, we thought she was performing, but no--but it was 8-10pm last night.  The kids sat so quietly (given they're 4 and 7) I was really impressed.  Just amazed, but of course they're short on sleep today and DD has a headache--due to the lack of sleep or other factors, I don't know. 

We don't have a tree yet but I think we will be moving furniture this evening to make room.  Our house is pretty small and not overcrowded, but full, so I think one or two things need to live temporarily in our bedroom while the tree is up. 

Someone mentioned GF dough to bake to make tree ornaments--who was that?  Tsfairy?  Did you already write out the recipe?  I've never considered doing that but it sounds like fun.  I am trying to think of some fun crafts for the week after next when we're chelating again and I assume my brain will again be mush and my energy on par with the hypothyroid 14-year old Lab.  I love FB--someone (can you tell I have a bad time w/o faces to match to words?  redface.gif) posted a Q-tip snowflake project that sounds messy and fun.  Maybe Nessa?  Bet I got at least one of those wrong, both is more likely. 

#304 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 02:23 PM

yep I did the gf dough. It was from here. I mentioned it before but I had to add a ton more cornstarch (humidity?), and my salt didn't even come close to dissolving.  But the consistency was great.

I read somewhere (maybe mdc?) about using baking soda instead of salt to give a smoother surface for painting. Ours did come out a little grainy but not bad at all. Still haven't painted them or added hangers or anything yet. Also plan to pop and string popcorn and dried cranberries but I've been really mentally out of it the past week and just haven't had the energy (mental or otherwise.)

DH has a possibly abscessed tooth that's swollen to the size of a golfball. I think he might need to be on abx but we can't pay the walk-in clinic this week so he'll have to head to the ER, probably tonight after the kids are in bed. What can we do in the meantime? He's keeping the pain at bay with ibuprofen... funny thing is this showed up in the past couple of days while he's had a horrible sinus infection, and it's in his upper jaw... I wonder if it's just excess fluid versus an abscessed tooth? Hm...

Oh I watched that supernanny ep. I was floored when the kid actually started eating some of the foods they offered. I guess some of this stuff can truly be nothing more than power struggles, though I wonder how much he actually ate, and how he acted off camera versus what was aired to make supernanny look sucessfull. Still makes me ponder a lot of DS's behavior and my reactions to it.  Oh and re the convo with my mom re food... it all started when she mentioned that not all behavior was attributable to food, and I said well I'm beginning to think otherwise.  Her youngest (he'll be 4 this month) has a geographic tongue, along with some really weird behaviors and tics and whatnot. She did not want to hear that it could be allergy related. lol

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#305 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:

yep I did the gf dough. It was from here. I mentioned it before but I had to add a ton more cornstarch (humidity?), and my salt didn't even come close to dissolving.  But the consistency was great.

I read somewhere (maybe mdc?) about using baking soda instead of salt to give a smoother surface for painting. Ours did come out a little grainy but not bad at all. Still haven't painted them or added hangers or anything yet. Also plan to pop and string popcorn and dried cranberries but I've been really mentally out of it the past week and just haven't had the energy (mental or otherwise.)

DH has a possibly abscessed tooth that's swollen to the size of a golfball. I think he might need to be on abx but we can't pay the walk-in clinic this week so he'll have to head to the ER, probably tonight after the kids are in bed. What can we do in the meantime? He's keeping the pain at bay with ibuprofen... funny thing is this showed up in the past couple of days while he's had a horrible sinus infection, and it's in his upper jaw... I wonder if it's just excess fluid versus an abscessed tooth? Hm...

Oh I watched that supernanny ep. I was floored when the kid actually started eating some of the foods they offered. I guess some of this stuff can truly be nothing more than power struggles, though I wonder how much he actually ate, and how he acted off camera versus what was aired to make supernanny look sucessfull. Still makes me ponder a lot of DS's behavior and my reactions to it.  Oh and re the convo with my mom re food... it all started when she mentioned that not all behavior was attributable to food, and I said well I'm beginning to think otherwise.  Her youngest (he'll be 4 this month) has a geographic tongue, along with some really weird behaviors and tics and whatnot. She did not want to hear that it could be allergy related. lol

Well I remember going to the dentist once with a horrible toothache on an upper molar. And he diagnosed a sinus infection and said that I should go to my regular doctor. So it's definitely possible that it's related. No one is eating the same thing anymore. It's raid-the-freezer every night to see what we have left because I have no inclination to cook and DH doesn't want to have to figure it out. I've been feeling nauseous again, who knows why, so nothing sounds good to me or even smells good. I hate that.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#306 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

Quote:

My grandmother had 3 sets of fraternal twins, and only 1 singleton.  My mom had a stillborn twin brother, she has a single sister, twin brothers, and my grandmother lost twin girls.  Amazingly, no other twins have turned up yet despite my mom having 2 children and her sister having 3.  There are so far 5 great-grandchildren, no twins.  I keep thinking it's going to be me, and if I turn up pregnant now from DH's indiscretion a little over a week ago...well it would be my fourth pregnancy (which increases twin risk in and of itself).  IDK what I would do, either be excited or cry LOL.  I definitely would have to send DS to school next year LOL!!  Maybe my sister will have the twins. ROTFLMAO.gif

That's a lot of twins.  bigeyes.gif

She used to tell me how she had 4 cribs at once.  I forgot to mention she had 4 living children in 2 years, so when my mom was 2, her sister was 11 mos, and that was when the twin boys were born.  Her best gift was a washing machine from her parents. She was 18 when she had my mother.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#307 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 04:39 PM

AF is apparently going to be visiting every month now. eyesroll.gif  Which is annoying. Slightly more annoying than that is the fact that I *know* when I'm ovulating, but I bet you can't guess how... orngtongue.gif

Wore out. Not sure if it was missing my thyroid meds this morning or "coming down" from the stress of the last week or two or AF, or a combination of all three. Blah.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#308 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 06:56 PM

I have a 4.5yrs old for sale. Does anyone want her??? JOKING!!! but she is getting on my nerves. For a reason or another, she can't or don't want to hear what we say/ask in a normal tone of voice and so we have to repeat. i get so frustrated if I have to repeat myself more than 2x but she just can't or doesn't hear what we say. Then she is not listening to the directions I have given her in the last few days. It isn't hard to listen and go to the potty when I asked her to go before bedtime. ugh She used to do it before and only in the last wkend or maybe since last wk, she just stopped doing what I tell her to do. ugh grrrrrr So now she gets up about 10-30min after I put her to bed and needs to go to the bathroom. Kiddo, you were suppose to go before bed. SO Frustrating. When ask why she didn't go before bed, she said she didn't have to go. Sorry kiddo but if I asked you to go, you go and try. No excuses.

Sorry for the venting.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#309 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Sandrine, doesn't it drive you nuts?  When it's happened with my kids, with DD it was developmental leaps, I think just normal developmental growth spurts (or maybe it was after some ALA rounds, but I don't remember for certain, and it seems like it could just be normal growth stuff)--but she stopped doing basic stuff that she used to (like flushing the toilet) and it took me AGES to link it to various cognitive leaps she was making.  Drove me batty.  The not listening (does tapping a shoulder/hand on the arm type of thing help?) can also be focus issues, too much focus on what they're doing, for DS he'll sometimes have trouble (I need to work hard to get him to listen and then he's easily distracted) is an inattentive thing, and for him making his methylation happy is the solution.  That was driving me crazy too--maybe I need to chill.  (working on that, really)

#310 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 08:09 PM

Glad to know i'm not alone.!?! Like tonight, I asked her to go to the bathroom and she was looking at me, so I could see that she heard me. And I looked at her while she left the livingroom and went to the bathroom. I even heard her and all but then 5-10min after she's in bed, she gets up and had to go again. Like really, kid? ugh I do find that she did pee often this wkend more than usual. I'm not sure if it's because the heat is on more because it's super cold here. (forecast for tonight is -41C with the windchill. brrrrrr) I'm ready to give her consequences like losing her friends in her bed, losing tv time, etc...

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#311 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

My kids, esp DS, do pee more often at some times than others.  Soup or extra fluids before bedtime, it _seems_ like epsom salt baths make them pee more but maybe the warmth of the bath just makes them drink more?  When I give them more vitC than usual, they definitely drink more.  In El Paso with the dry air, again, more drinking and more peeing. 

ETA: oh, and -41 degrees?  DANG!  When we went out to the 8pm Christmas program last night, II wasn't too concerned when DS, wearing shorts and a long-sleeved shirt, left the house without a jacket.  I figured we wouldn't have that far to walk, and he was fine--though if we'd had to just stand around outside, he would've gotten cold.  I admit this winter seems quite mild, but I can't even imagine -41.  That's just wrong--Fahrenheit and Celcius cross over there.  Wow. 

I should go to bed... yikes it's 10:30pm.  Will go to bed now, in fact.  Kitchen's half clean (after last week, that's a major accomplishment), I think I have some ideas for tomorrow (errands, a bit of fun stuff with the kids, hopefully try to catch up with chores around the house)... try to make things reasonable around here, so that they can all fall apart the following week--I'm finally getting excited about being done with all the crappy pills (okay, lovely, helpful pills, but I'm tired of them by now).  And I need to figure out something to bring, food-wise, to the Friday holiday party.  I'm thinking about sugarplums to the Sunday party (new HSing group forming, the family won't think I'm weird, so cool!), need something else too, though one of their kids is gfcf so we should have a few things to choose from already. 

Jessica--did you get an email about your sample arriving at the lab?  Guess they wouldn't send them out on Sunday, keep an eye out for the next day or two? 

#312 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:

try clove oil.  its supposed to be super for tooth pain, and can clear infection, as could oil of oregano, which would be good for sinuses.  swish salt water around in there, swish ascorbic acid, chew garlic. . .  that's all i can think of for now!

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#313 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 09:09 PM

Ok thanks for the help so far!

Here's my next few querries:

which brand of b complex vit. to you buy?  I'd hate to buy them individually!  is it possible to find the super one size fits all? or pretty close to it?

any other places to buy perque vit?  I think I'd like to try the multi for myself and the kids.  Because I'm in Canada, shipping is a factor, so I'm looking for the best site. . .

Thanks again!

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#314 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

Sandrine, doesn't it drive you nuts?  When it's happened with my kids, with DD it was developmental leaps, I think just normal developmental growth spurts (or maybe it was after some ALA rounds, but I don't remember for certain, and it seems like it could just be normal growth stuff)--but she stopped doing basic stuff that she used to (like flushing the toilet) and it took me AGES to link it to various cognitive leaps she was making.  Drove me batty.  The not listening (does tapping a shoulder/hand on the arm type of thing help?) can also be focus issues, too much focus on what they're doing, for DS he'll sometimes have trouble (I need to work hard to get him to listen and then he's easily distracted) is an inattentive thing, and for him making his methylation happy is the solution.  That was driving me crazy too--maybe I need to chill.  (working on that, really)

Our phrase lately is "dd, can you hear me?" and then get close and maintain constant attention until the conversation is done. I understand where she's coming from, I'm the exact same way. In fact, shes started asking me if I can hear her redface.gif Methylation, you say? That would go with her constant sick right now. Too bad she didn't eat the crepe mitt folate I served her for breakfast this morning. Oh well, try, try again. I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post

Glad to know i'm not alone.!?! Like tonight, I asked her to go to the bathroom and she was looking at me, so I could see that she heard me. And I looked at her while she left the livingroom and went to the bathroom. I even heard her and all but then 5-10min after she's in bed, she gets up and had to go again. Like really, kid? ugh I do find that she did pee often this wkend more than usual. I'm not sure if it's because the heat is on more because it's super cold here. (forecast for tonight is -41C with the windchill. brrrrrr) I'm ready to give her consequences like losing her friends in her bed, losing tv time, etc...

Its sounding to me like this might be something out of her control, especially if she's peeing more frequently in general. Maybe there's something in there she's trying to flush out?

I had an aha moment a few months back about Epsom salt baths making you thirsty/pee more - the sulfate binds to toxins and makes them water soluble so you can pee them out. It stands to reason that if you've got a bunch of flagged toxins circulating and passing through your kidneys, you'd make more pee to get them OUT. And then you'd be thirsty! The baths made me need to pee while pg, but not before or since. Not sure what that means, other than I'm perpetually dehydrated and really should figure out a way to remember to drink more.

Today I managed the farmers market solo (the week's worth of shopping, just me and ds), made my oreos (sorry, no recipe), made sauerkraut, started the ketchup fermenting, made some cranberry relish to ferment, AND cooked a real dinner. I'm proud of myself, that's a lot for me lately! Maybe this reaction is finally dying down? And ds spitting up again is cause he really is sick?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#315 of 770 Old 12-12-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi! View Post

Ok thanks for the help so far!

Here's my next few querries:

which brand of b complex vit. to you buy?  I'd hate to buy them individually!  is it possible to find the super one size fits all? or pretty close to it?

any other places to buy perque vit?  I think I'd like to try the multi for myself and the kids.  Because I'm in Canada, shipping is a factor, so I'm looking for the best site. . .

Thanks again!

I do Thorne for a b complex, it uses real folate. I think perque uses folic acid? And I buy from iherb, not sure if that shipping is any better?

#316 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 AM

Okay, yay for yummy Oreo-type cookies, and yay for clarity. But really, I'd much rather sleep. Apparently sugar now seriously messes with my adrenals. I think that's progress?

#317 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:

I have a 4.5yrs old for sale. Does anyone want her??? JOKING!!! but she is getting on my nerves. For a reason or another, she can't or don't want to hear what we say/ask in a normal tone of voice and so we have to repeat. i get so frustrated if I have to repeat myself more than 2x but she just can't or doesn't hear what we say. Then she is not listening to the directions I have given her in the last few days. It isn't hard to listen and go to the potty when I asked her to go before bedtime. ugh She used to do it before and only in the last wkend or maybe since last wk, she just stopped doing what I tell her to do. ugh grrrrrr So now she gets up about 10-30min after I put her to bed and needs to go to the bathroom. Kiddo, you were suppose to go before bed. SO Frustrating. When ask why she didn't go before bed, she said she didn't have to go. Sorry kiddo but if I asked you to go, you go and try. No excuses.

Sorry for the venting.

Quote:

If she's peeing more in general, then it could be a UTI.... or she might just be drinking more than usual depending on how you heat your house. We have 1-2 woodstoves going at a time, so it dries out the air and I find I drink more during the day. And I usually pee right before bed then another 20 minutes after I lay down (and I really try because I don't want to get back up, so just saying, she may not be emptying her bladder all the way, though that's a hard thing to teach).

But other ways to make small children pee (learned from a friend). The little girl said but I don't have to go, and the mom said, see if you have any secret pees in there that want to come out. So my dd2 wanted to see if she had secret pees too. Now she thinks it's hilarious when she says she doesn't have to pee and something comes out. Like it's a big surprise.

My kids are better at listening some times than others, definitely, depending on what the distraction is.

#318 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 07:05 AM

I'm ordering some B6 for DS. Anyone have any recommendations for general vitamins maybe for me? Anyone know of a smaller safe Mg? The capsules I use now (Vital Nutrients) are making me gag (so is everything else except the cell salts).

#319 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 AM

I don't have any suggestions Kathy, sorry. :(  But you did remind me I need to place an order too.  What type of C should I get, if I'm not worried about corn? (just soy and salicylates)

Also, I'm thinking about enzymes.  Is No Phenol the one for sals?  It would be nice to have a backup for parties and such.  We had a party this weekend and I had a cranky child and an itchy child!

Wait one more...what is the best form of magnesium to buy?  I think the one I have is magnesium stearate.

Ok I lied, ETA one more again...what about calcium?  DS is now dairy-free, can't eat berries that are high in calcium...does drink rice milk when in hot chocolate or cereal though.  I don't think this is enough calcium?  I'm pretty sure we are all sufferint nutrient-wise at the moment, our diet is NOT balanced and definitely not green.  It's like potatoes, meat, pears, and golden delicious apples.  And bananas, and some peas and green beans and carrots.  He must need calcium, right?  I'm debating Thorne multis for him now...DD2 is still nursing but honestly I'm trying to cut that back a bit now, and will need ideas for her soon too....I suppose I can empty some of the Thorne multis in something for her at least sometimes if I get those.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#320 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 07:59 AM

Do you do bone broth? That's high calcium. Anchovies. Salmon if it's got bones has more than without. Some people add bone meal to things. Children's Pepto is calcium carbonate. I used to give it to DS before I could get bone broth in him. Not the best supp, but at the time the best I could do. I like Mg Glycinate the best. Not sure what other people like.

#321 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 08:05 AM

I've been trying to make more broths, so that probably helps, but I have a feeling we need more, or he does, I should say.  I don't think anchovies will happen, or salmon, for that matter.  I don't even like them LOL (wish I did!!!).  He will swallow gigantic pills so he's easy in that respect.  I just checked the mag, it is mag glycinate, chelated (Though I have no idea what that means lol).

#322 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 09:20 AM

Too far back to find where I multiquoted.... Yeah Tanya, I got the email on Saturday. Now I'm just trying to wait patiently for the results!!

Ow, ow, owwwwww.... man, I really overdid it yesterday with the gutters. I was a seriously grumpy biotch by last night, and I am soooooore this morning. Ouch. I think we'll be skipping our weekly hike and going to story time at the library instead!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#323 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 AM

We've had lots going on here. Snowstorm with 23 inches of snow and it is -7F right now. My parents are coming from MI on Tuesday to stay for a few days, so that will be nice. I need to schedule an optometrist appt while they are here so I can get new contacts (and actually go to an appt sans child!), although maybe I'll go to the location at the Mall of America and they can walk around with dd during.

So, dd has been reacting to something for the past several weeks. I have narrowed it down to coconut, chocolate, or sals in general. I haven't let her have any coconut for the last 2 days except of course I forgot about 2 things she had that included coconut: leftover pancakes that had coconut milk in them and were cooked in coconut oil and roast chicken that had coconut oil  on it. She also hasn't had any chocolate by default since the only things we use cocoa in contain coconut! Her face rash looks much less inflamed, just chapped from playing outside yesterday. I also added MO back in and some No-Fenol as I had some up in the cupboard. Nothing like a whole bunch of variables to make it interesting. I really hope it is not coconut - all my treats use coconut. I am still leaning towards sals overload since the rash was worse when she had kiwi, citrus, grapes, raisins, & apples, but now she has had raspberries and dates and the rash still seems better. Maybe it is the cocoa, her rash started around the same as we opened a new bag on Navitas cocoa. But of course we also started her back on Klaire Labs chewable enzymes so it could be die-off. I know when I started enzymes I had every yeast symptom I ever had intensify before I it cleared up and I felt much better.?????????????????????????

We also had our well child/woman visits with a new hcp. We talked for a long time and she wants to:

1. have me go off all supps for 4-6 weeks due to continued hair loss and fatigue and test:

B12 (especially worried about pernicious anemia)

folate (will this give me any clue about MTHFR?)

iron & ferritin

thyroid panel

something for autoimmunity, not sure what? ANA or CRP maybe?

2. send dd to an allergy & asthma clinic that has a doctor who is interested & helpful with intolerances

She also approved my request to have dd evaluated for SPD. I was trying to get her to do more testing on dd, but she said she worried about getting ins to pay. Thought maybe the allergy doc would have better luck . Would it be crazy to try to get her to give dd a FTT diagnosis in order to get more testing done? I am pretty darn sure dd would qualify. They plotted her curve at 5% for weight and 80% for height, but they did it at 4 yo (since this was her 4 y check-up) but she's really almost 4.5 yo. And they didn't have her take her shoes or jacket off when they measured.

I think that her main problem is dysbiosis since I have never been able to get her on any PBX besides bifidus w/o mega-reactions. Maybe time to pony up the cash for a CDSA if I can't get any of these docs to do anything. Any urine tests that work for dysbiosis markers?  Wonder if OOP would be cheaper than out of network? Anyone know how ins stuff works???? We have a BCBS PPO. Getting a little desperate here with dd's complete lack of growth. I need a plan and need to stick with it, but I can't make one w/o know what in the world I'm doing?!?

And in good news, I have a friend of a friend who is a practitioner with an account at Emerson Ecologics, so I can get some supps at a discount!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post

Just wanted to apologize for being so terse this week.  It was a difficult week scheduling wise with the jury duty and kid activities & now the kids are sick.  So I haven't had a lot to write.  I also don't have a lot to say.

However, it looks like we'll end up having DSs adenoids removed.  So I'm wondering, has anyone had a partial ablation or adenoids?  Where they leave some tissue?  Anyone have success?  I just know we're going to be those people where the adenoids grow back. DH just told me today that in the middle of the night, while listening to DS struggle to breath last night, he recalled that his sister was never able to breath through her nose & ended up becoming a mouth breather.  Due to issues with that she was never able to pursue the high quality singing career she might have otherwise been capable of (she has a wonderful voice) because they never could figure out how to fix it.  That makes me very sad.

Hope everyone is feeling better!

My friend's son had his adenoids removed early last year. I assume it was the partial ablation because they have grown back now and he will be getting surgery again. It has affected his speech and growth. They have not, to my knowledge, done any alternative care besides chiro.

Quote:

Darn, tonight's Supernanny isn't online yet.

I saw the commercials for that one and I thought the same thing - food.

Quote:

I'm ordering some B6 for DS. Anyone have any recommendations for general vitamins maybe for me? Anyone know of a smaller safe Mg? The capsules I use now (Vital Nutrients) are making me gag (so is everything else except the cell salts).

Kathy, I have been taking the Thorne Prenatal (not because I EVER, EVER plan on having another but it has a nice amount of vits) but I still need more B's so I take the B-Complex, too. I also liked the Thorne Basic Nutrients.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#324 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 AM

DH says he's not in any pain so we're pretty sure it's sinus drainage. Funny thing I remembered something similar happened to DS2 a few months ago. His cheek was all swollen one morning and I freaked out a little thinking he had an abscess, but he had no pain and no fever. The swelling was completely gone in about 24 hrs.  DH's swelling is much better this morning.

DS1 is going to send me over the edge. The past 2 days have been insane. My mood was already bad and he's just in my face constantly, being as annoying as he can possibly be. Sandrine I think I'll happily trade for your daughter. ;)

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#325 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:

I don't have any suggestions Kathy, sorry. :(  But you did remind me I need to place an order too.  What type of C should I get, if I'm not worried about corn? (just soy and salicylates)

Also, I'm thinking about enzymes.  Is No Phenol the one for sals?  It would be nice to have a backup for parties and such.  We had a party this weekend and I had a cranky child and an itchy child!

Wait one more...what is the best form of magnesium to buy?  I think the one I have is magnesium stearate.

Ok I lied, ETA one more again...what about calcium?  DS is now dairy-free, can't eat berries that are high in calcium...does drink rice milk when in hot chocolate or cereal though.  I don't think this is enough calcium?  I'm pretty sure we are all sufferint nutrient-wise at the moment, our diet is NOT balanced and definitely not green.  It's like potatoes, meat, pears, and golden delicious apples.  And bananas, and some peas and green beans and carrots.  He must need calcium, right?  I'm debating Thorne multis for him now...DD2 is still nursing but honestly I'm trying to cut that back a bit now, and will need ideas for her soon too....I suppose I can empty some of the Thorne multis in something for her at least sometimes if I get those.

For c, we ended up getting a tapioca based sodium ascorbate because I will not knowingly eat GMO corn. I think there is a palm derived c, maybe TwinLab brand?

No-Fenol is for phenols including sals. Dd used it for quite a long time then we switched to Klaire Labs. I think the No-Fenol helped more with yeast than sals, but lots of people on the EnzymesandAutism list love it. Dd has gone through a phase of reacting to some foods like berries and oranges which we avoided for a while and she was taking No-Fenol then, to not reacting to them after taking supps and enzymes for a while and back to reacting after not using enzymes at all for a while. So they do something whether it is help with dysbiosis so she actually absorbs more from her food or if it actually works directly on the phenols. I was thinking of switching to the new Enzymedica one that is like Digest Gold but now has enzymes for phenols in it. I think it is called Complete.

Mag, we use mag glycinate, but I am trying to move to mag citrate during the day and mag glycinate only at night because the glycinate is supposed to be an antacid, not something I want in my child who definitely has low stomach acid. We have been doing Peter Gillham Cal/Mag in the AM and mag glycinate in PM.

I just, after 2 full years of restricted diet, started dd on calcium. I trialed it before and she always got constipated. Seems to be going better this time. Her teeth remineralized wonderfully after we got out all her intolerances and reduced grains to hardly any. We supped mag, and D3, the whole time. If she needed calcium, I am sure we would see it in her teeth first. We do use bone broth almost daily and eat lots of greens. Some sardines and anchovies.

Dd reacts to soy-derived vit e, so all multis are out for her. Just be aware of that if you try the Throne Kids multi.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#326 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 09:54 AM

Yeah, Emily, lots going on!  My sister is in that snowstorm, too.

I'm going to be a broken record about b12 and growth until someone gives me a reason to stop.  It made dd grow, one of it's primary functions is cell division, it's a common common deficiency around here, the tests are only sorta accurate, and some may need more than blood tests show due to genetics.

gotta run

#327 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Thanks Karen for the idea. I think she would find it funny too about doing secret pees. lol

Tsfairy~ Not sure if i want to exchange her for a boy. LOL I have no clue what to do with them. I'm in trouble if this baby is a boy. lol

I think that dd3 is sleepwalking. Not sure how to handle it. She woke up last night at about 2:30am. She open her door, came to my bedroom's door, then turned around and went in the kitchen to almost the stairs that lead to the entryway. Then went back to bed. 5min later, she gets up because she had to go pee. I'm impatient with her but i'm know it's because I have no clue how to deal with all this. Maybe I should call my naturopath and see what she says.

#328 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theloose View Post

Yeah, Emily, lots going on!  My sister is in that snowstorm, too.

I'm going to be a broken record about b12 and growth until someone gives me a reason to stop.  It made dd grow, one of it's primary functions is cell division, it's a common common deficiency around here, the tests are only sorta accurate, and some may need more than blood tests show due to genetics.

gotta run

When you have time, can you tell me more about this. DD1 is a slow gainer and grower since she had been 1yr old. She gains and grow really slow. She's 8yrs old and is about 46lbs. Not sure on her height but she is shorter than her younger sister(dd2) by about 1-1.5inches. She would be so happy if she started to gain and grow faster and more. She's getting annoyed that her younger sister(dd2, 6.75yrs old) is taller and weights more than her.

Thanks!!!

#329 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 10:47 AM

ds1 forgot his lunch. AGAIN. This is the 4th week in a row (not counting Thanksgiving, where they were off all week). I told him no more, that it's becoming a habit and if he forgets again, he'll be hungry. Of course, then the school will call and give me a hard time saying "kids need to eat" and "we can't have kids distracted by hunger" which I get, I really do.. but I have to micro-manage him every morning, double checking his lunch? He's eleven! Guess what? I was making my lunch by his age and, if I forgot it- I went hungry!

Grr. So frustrated!

#330 of 770 Old 12-13-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ds1 forgot his lunch. AGAIN. This is the 4th week in a row (not counting Thanksgiving, where they were off all week). I told him no more, that it's becoming a habit and if he forgets again, he'll be hungry. Of course, then the school will call and give me a hard time saying "kids need to eat" and "we can't have kids distracted by hunger" which I get, I really do.. but I have to micro-manage him every morning, double checking his lunch? He's eleven! Guess what? I was making my lunch by his age and, if I forgot it- I went hungry!

Grr. So frustrated!

What about when no one is at home?  My parents both worked outside the house, both had fairly long commutes and certainly couldn't come home to bring me a lunch.  Given the problems you've got in getting food to him, I don't think you should automatically feel obliged to bring in lunch. 

That said... would visual reminders work, like a checklist?  Something that can be posted permanently somewhere--either just a list, or a checklist each morning that he checks things as they're done?  This (the forgetting stuff) would be part of the ADHD, right?  Which, given how much DS's inattentiveness (at age 4, when hey, it's much more typical) was causing me grief... yeah, a lot harder to deal with at 11. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page