Delicious December 2010 Chat - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-19-2010, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I swear we cleaned up just a couple nights ago. Then a 4th birthday and a climbing baby (and a ketchup bomb) happened and now the place has reverted back to its disaster area comfort zone again. I'm asking for time to clean up the house for Christmas. Today was a day of downtime (and farmers market in the rain and haircut for me) and tomorrow it's time to bring in the tiny live tree, decorate it, and lay on the Christmas-ness. And scramble to figure out gifts, sigh.

Dd seems to be sick. Again. Tummy trouble this time, that she first mentioned last night "from eating too many sweet potatoes." She was on her second bowl, and I'd spiked it with b12, zinc and Mo. Now, 24 hours later, she's got poop symptoms and is saying her tummy really hurts. Poor kid greensad.gif. And I just can't get my body to calm down and stop reacting already. Poor me eyesroll.gif

grouphug.gif for all of us, the holidays sure do load a ton of extra stuff on our (already overflowing) plates!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sometimes what really gets to me are the ups and downs.  Both healthwise, moreso in the past, but now the moods.  I really think it's just messing with nutrients that's messing with my head these days, but yesterday (strangely, after several days of piles of ibuprofen--it's not supposed to be a happy pill) I finally got some of that upbeat, energetic stuff back.  Been tired and slow all last week, after my previous totally exhausted week--got no cooking ahead done, nothing nicely cleaned up before Christmas, and with my arm messed up, we didn't buy a tree. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be feeling happier and more upbeat today, but this whipsaw between low and medium energy (I don't actually do high energy) is exhausting.  And seriously, if I weren't 6 weeks (or less?) from the end of the ALA, I would not be able to keep this up.  Maybe this round will be better, I am going to fiddle a bit. 

And I'm hoping a quiet day at home will be enough downtime for the kids so we can go visit a friend with a new baby tomorrow--I wanted to entertain the older kids for a while so mom could rest a bit, but with all the new/different activity recently, they seem like they've hit their limit.  But for us, with no family here, Christmas and the few days around are going to be just us, no friends or family visiting, and Agustin has the entire week after Christmas off.  Woo-hoo!  Maybe _then_ I can finally cook ahead and get some food into the freezer. 

Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

Sometimes what really gets to me are the ups and downs.  Both healthwise, moreso in the past, but now the moods.  I really think it's just messing with nutrients that's messing with my head these days, but yesterday (strangely, after several days of piles of ibuprofen--it's not supposed to be a happy pill) I finally got some of that upbeat, energetic stuff back.  Been tired and slow all last week, after my previous totally exhausted week--got no cooking ahead done, nothing nicely cleaned up before Christmas, and with my arm messed up, we didn't buy a tree. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be feeling happier and more upbeat today, but this whipsaw between low and medium energy (I don't actually do high energy) is exhausting.  And seriously, if I weren't 6 weeks (or less?) from the end of the ALA, I would not be able to keep this up.  Maybe this round will be better, I am going to fiddle a bit. 

And I'm hoping a quiet day at home will be enough downtime for the kids so we can go visit a friend with a new baby tomorrow--I wanted to entertain the older kids for a while so mom could rest a bit, but with all the new/different activity recently, they seem like they've hit their limit.  But for us, with no family here, Christmas and the few days around are going to be just us, no friends or family visiting, and Agustin has the entire week after Christmas off.  Woo-hoo!  Maybe _then_ I can finally cook ahead and get some food into the freezer. 

Just a big, fat, yeahthat.gif to the bolded part.  I'm wiped.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry, Shannon.  Don't really want everybody else to feel the same as me, yk? 

On a strange note--I just realized that I've been taking my glasses on and off a lot for a few days now.  I don't feel like seasonal allergies are messing with my eyes, my allergies have been getting better for a couple years now.  But I think the doc will think I'm weird if I go in for another eye appt so soon, it wasn't that long ago that I was there.  Maybe it'll go away in a few days, whatever's going on.  It'd really be a hoot, in a weird way, if my eyes truly get better through the last few weeks of this.  The timing of when my eyesight got bad fits in the general timeframe of when I was first starting to have issues after I got my amalgams in--not the same day or week or anything, but that first year or two.  Won't it be annoying if I'm left with needing glasses just for my astigmatism (which hasn't changed at all), but I'm not near-sighted anymore? 

My arm is aching again, not as bad as before, but it's changing the outlook for a super-productive day.  And poor DD's stomach hurts, with the holiday parties and with me not cooking (DH procuring food), well, DD's had a lot of meat.

Speaking of that... in theory, with a CBS upregulation, if you got lucky (heartfixer says low cysteine is involved, and low cysteine is the thing that Cutler says goes with doing well with sulfur-y foods, and we seem to want/crave sulfur foods like eggs and onions and such), it seems like you could end up making extra glutathione (esp if you had enough zinc around, and DD has always had visible low zinc signs when DS has only had them intermittently and after some external stress).  Am I wrong?  Cause that could explain why DD has always seemed surprisingly lightly affected by all this. 

(pretty heartfixer diagram for anyone who doesn't already have it bookmarked...)

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

Don't try to learn it all at once, I just keep reading a bit more here, a bit more there.  I think Shannon shared this page, for the first time, maybe 2 years ago?  And I'm just starting to look at this corner of it. 

Old 12-20-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss_understood View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

mmmm... fudge. Recipe? orngbiggrin.gif

eta: taking a break from work... my brain is so fried. I've put in 30+ hours this week between my 3 current work project. gah. No wonder my house is a disaster.

You'll notice that it's in quotes. :p It's frosting fudge and really far from real food. (Where's the bag smilie?) If, having said that, you're still interested, you just mix a can of frosting (I used Duncan Hines Fudge Chocolate) with a package of melted chocolate chips then spread it in a greased pan, adding a cup or two of "add ins" (nuts, dried fruit, candies of various sorts) and 1/2-1 teaspoon of extract of choice, if desired. I'm wondering if it would work with home made frosting instead of the canned stuff. I may have to try it.

eta: I'd love to say I'd be over to help you if closer, but I'm not sure I would be this week. I'm really hoping to get some Solstice baking done for the first time since the year my father passed (3 years ago). DS1 is excited at the prospect of having cookies for Solstice. He said "I remember when you used to be in the kitchen from the morning til after I went to bed for a long time before Christmas, mom. I liked all the cookies and stuff you made. I miss that."

MIL came over for a few hours today so my pantry got re-organized and all of the empty boxes that were in there got broken down to be recycled. And I got the laundry detergent which had spilled all over the floor cleaned up, as well. Yay. DH vacuumed the stairs, which I think hadn't been done since Shannon and Jessica came to visit (or not long thereafter... Really. Where's the bag smilie?). Also made marshmallows in preparation of making the banana-cherry slice again, which the kids loved last time. I'm thinking maybe I'll post that recipe to my blog. So I didn't get much done in the way of baking, but at least I got my pantry cleaned.

Well at least someone is getting something done! I can see your big smilies from here!

DH has decided to change my pantry/storage area in the basement to laundry, craft, storage, and moved everything out (to my side of the garage), and painted the walls with some waterproofing stuff yesterday. The good news is that the laundry closet, which is off of the kitchen, will be the new pantry - much more convenient. The bad news is, is that this project was mentioned two years ago and never got off the ground, so I'm hoping it doesn't get started and then fizzle. And I don't know where any of the food is now, because it's all out in the garage. Oh well. I went to WF. They had a B complex that was safe, that was pretty high in B6 so I got that. They don't carry Mo. And the only milk thistle they had was in grain alcohol. No capsules. So couldn't get that either. But I got some "anti-queasy" sourball type things that says it's a proprietary blend of essential oils. There's citric acid in it, but since I'm tolerating that in the Sierra Mist, I'm figuring I'm getting better or something. But.. question... whenever I've sucked on hard candy or a lollipop or whatever, I always feel like I have little cuts all over the roof of my mouth for a few hours afterwards. Is that normal? Does everyone get that? And I found candy canes at WF that were cane sugar and rice syrup and I'm calling that close enough for DS, so he can have one candy cane at Christmas. I really want to make some maple walnut fudge with all this talk of fudge, but then I have to go to Costco to get maple syrup and I just don't want to drive that far. Today my muscles actually feel pretty normal. I have my range of motion back and I'm not tiring as easily. I've taken a 2-hour nap each of the last 4 days. My insomnia is gone again. Got my thyroid rechecked on Saturday. Doctor called today and said it was now borderline high, so since I have a capsule, to just take one every other day, but won't that make my level go up and down? That seems odd. So I looked at the hyperthyroid symptoms and I'm opposite on all of them. I don't get it. How come my symptoms are always backwards?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Speaking of that... in theory, with a CBS upregulation, if you got lucky (heartfixer says low cysteine is involved, and low cysteine is the thing that Cutler says goes with doing well with sulfur-y foods, and we seem to want/crave sulfur foods like eggs and onions and such), it seems like you could end up making extra glutathione (esp if you had enough zinc around, and DD has always had visible low zinc signs when DS has only had them intermittently and after some external stress).  Am I wrong?  Cause that could explain why DD has always seemed surprisingly lightly affected by all this. 

(pretty heartfixer diagram for anyone who doesn't already have it bookmarked...)

Don't try to learn it all at once, I just keep reading a bit more here, a bit more there.  I think Shannon shared this page, for the first time, maybe 2 years ago?  And I'm just starting to look at this corner of it. 

Can you say that again so I can make sure I'm understanding what you're saying?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theloose View Post

Quote:

Can you say that again so I can make sure I'm understanding what you're saying?

In the bottom right corner of the diagram, you've got CBS taking homocysteine and making cystathionine which in turn is made into other stuff.

One is ammonia which is annoying, but after that, you've got a (cysteine + alpha keto glutarate) stage, and 3 choices after that.  A different part of the page says that high cysteine tends to promote taurine production and low cysteine promotes glutathione production.  I think these are Cutler's high/low cysteine which correspond to doing well on either low or high sulfur diets respectively (low cysteine meaning high sulfur foods are good).  I've always figured I do well with sulfury foods, even crave them at times (I think in a good/healthy way), and DD seems to have the healthiest food cravings of any of us and she certainly consistently wants/asks for a few very sulfury foods. 

So if you've got the CBS upregulation, that whole pipeline of stuff will be fuller than average--you'll tend to have more of all those downstream chemicals, but if you have low cysteine, you will end up with extra glutathione which is protective of the heavy metal exposure.  I'm sure there are lots of other things that could be off that make this not very helpful, but given probably fairly average other genetics, at least nothing particularly tricky/difficult to deal with, does this seem like a reasonable explanation as to why she's had so very few typical or severely problematic symptoms of our family problem? 

Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 PM

banghead.gif

I'm suddenly reminded why I always kept 2 separate groups of friends.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 12-20-2010, 01:30 PM

Kathy~ sounds like you are having a pretty good day. Yay!!!

I'm so not getting what Tanya is sharing. Sorry!

JR~ (((hugs))) I don't know what's going on but it wasn't me *wink*

I woke up this morning and had energy until 10am. Then I crashed or wanted to but I had my dckids here. So I went for a walk with my new sleigh and that made me work hard. ugh It was heavy to pull. But I ate a pretty good meal and I took a nap with the kids. lol So I should have enough energy to keep at it for the rest of the evening, right? I hope so.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 12-20-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:

banghead.gif

Hope it wasn't me either. I saw your FB post so I figured something was up. My friends are pretty diverse too, but I try to make it all blend somehow. I figure everyone should get along, but of course it certainly doesn't happen that way.

DS came home from school saying he still felt like he couldn't breathe (gave him zyrtec this morning). He doesn't sound congested. But he said he has a sore throat too. I guess I'm keeping him home from basketball practice tonight. But we have houseguests, and my father and his girlfriend are coming over tonight for dinner, so I hope we're not spreading germs around. My father was just in the hospital a week ago. Ugh. I hate it when kids don't feel well around the holidays.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 12-20-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:

banghead.gif

Sorry. redface.gifbag.gif

eta: Maybe one day I'll learn to keep my opinion to myself.....

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

banghead.gif

Sorry. redface.gifbag.gif

You have nothing for which to be sorry. It's easier to "control" debates irl because you don't have EVERYONE's entire friend base involved, that's all, whereas on FB, you do. It can be a little frustrating that's all.

I'm glad you feel safe to voice your opinion on my wall. love.gif

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 12-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Are potty (poop) accidents in 6yo normal, or indicative of something wrong (my first thought goes to food allergies, but they are on my mind recently with ds2).

Ds1 has been having minor poop accidents the last couple months. It's like he either waits until the last minute to go, or he doesn't realize he has to go until too late, so some slips out.  He's been pt'ed since he was 3- once he caught on (in a couple weeks) he was totally pt'ed.

He also has some small random rashes that don't bother him, that have come and gine over the last bunch of months, and rashes around his lips, but I assume those are because he constantly licks his lips. He has dark undereye circles, which I read could be allergies.

(this is xposted from tcy) 

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post

Are potty (poop) accidents in 6yo normal, or indicative of something wrong (my first thought goes to food allergies, but they are on my mind recently with ds2).

Ds1 has been having minor poop accidents the last couple months. It's like he either waits until the last minute to go, or he doesn't realize he has to go until too late, so some slips out.  He's been pt'ed since he was 3- once he caught on (in a couple weeks) he was totally pt'ed.

He also has some small random rashes that don't bother him, that have come and gine over the last bunch of months, and rashes around his lips, but I assume those are because he constantly licks his lips. He has dark undereye circles, which I read could be allergies.

that was all ds1's reaction to dairy (his singular IgE food).

Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 PM

grouphug.gif for those with sick kids. It should be a law of nature that children can't get ill over any holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

mmmm... fudge. Recipe? orngbiggrin.gif

eta: taking a break from work... my brain is so fried. I've put in 30+ hours this week between my 3 current work project. gah. No wonder my house is a disaster.

You'll notice that it's in quotes. :p It's frosting fudge and really far from real food. (Where's the bag smilie?) If, having said that, you're still interested, you just mix a can of frosting (I used Duncan Hines Fudge Chocolate) with a package of melted chocolate chips then spread it in a greased pan, adding a cup or two of "add ins" (nuts, dried fruit, candies of various sorts) and 1/2-1 teaspoon of extract of choice, if desired. I'm wondering if it would work with home made frosting instead of the canned stuff. I may have to try it.

eta: I'd love to say I'd be over to help you if closer, but I'm not sure I would be this week. I'm really hoping to get some Solstice baking done for the first time since the year my father passed (3 years ago). DS1 is excited at the prospect of having cookies for Solstice. He said "I remember when you used to be in the kitchen from the morning til after I went to bed for a long time before Christmas, mom. I liked all the cookies and stuff you made. I miss that."

MIL came over for a few hours today so my pantry got re-organized and all of the empty boxes that were in there got broken down to be recycled. And I got the laundry detergent which had spilled all over the floor cleaned up, as well. Yay. DH vacuumed the stairs, which I think hadn't been done since Shannon and Jessica came to visit (or not long thereafter... Really. Where's the bag smilie?). Also made marshmallows in preparation of making the banana-cherry slice again, which the kids loved last time. I'm thinking maybe I'll post that recipe to my blog. So I didn't get much done in the way of baking, but at least I got my pantry cleaned.

Well at least someone is getting something done! I can see your big smilies from here!

DH has decided to change my pantry/storage area in the basement to laundry, craft, storage, and moved everything out (to my side of the garage), and painted the walls with some waterproofing stuff yesterday. The good news is that the laundry closet, which is off of the kitchen, will be the new pantry - much more convenient. The bad news is, is that this project was mentioned two years ago and never got off the ground, so I'm hoping it doesn't get started and then fizzle. And I don't know where any of the food is now, because it's all out in the garage. Oh well. I went to WF. They had a B complex that was safe, that was pretty high in B6 so I got that. They don't carry Mo. And the only milk thistle they had was in grain alcohol. No capsules. So couldn't get that either. But I got some "anti-queasy" sourball type things that says it's a proprietary blend of essential oils. There's citric acid in it, but since I'm tolerating that in the Sierra Mist, I'm figuring I'm getting better or something. But.. question... whenever I've sucked on hard candy or a lollipop or whatever, I always feel like I have little cuts all over the roof of my mouth for a few hours afterwards. Is that normal? Does everyone get that? And I found candy canes at WF that were cane sugar and rice syrup and I'm calling that close enough for DS, so he can have one candy cane at Christmas. I really want to make some maple walnut fudge with all this talk of fudge, but then I have to go to Costco to get maple syrup and I just don't want to drive that far. Today my muscles actually feel pretty normal. I have my range of motion back and I'm not tiring as easily. I've taken a 2-hour nap each of the last 4 days. My insomnia is gone again. Got my thyroid rechecked on Saturday. Doctor called today and said it was now borderline high, so since I have a capsule, to just take one every other day, but won't that make my level go up and down? That seems odd. So I looked at the hyperthyroid symptoms and I'm opposite on all of them. I don't get it. How come my symptoms are always backwards?

BAG smilies.. Speaking of which, where'd you find it, Jessica?

I used to get the cut roof of the mouth feeling from hard candies too. Not sure what changed.

Numbers. Did they give you numbers for thyroid? How're you feeling?

Glad you're beginning to feel better.

I'm tired too but not as much as usual. Although, I'm wondering if that's a good thing, since I've been eating CRAP. <insert bag smilie here>

Old 12-20-2010, 07:12 PM

I am slowly reading thru the Adrenal Fatigue thread. It's the first one and super long. *yawn* so tired and trying to absorb all the info in it.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 12-20-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post

I am slowly reading thru the Adrenal Fatigue thread. It's the first one and super long. *yawn* so tired and trying to absorb all the info in it.

That's the worst part of this!  lol.gif  Between that and the thyroid thread--lots to absorb, and fatigued people trying to get through their lives.  Geesh. 

DH doesn't feel good, DD wasn't feeling good most of the day but I think I know why and today's eating should help that.  DS has been happy, and he used the word carnage correctly today--still love the change in supps over the summer and especially the myelinating supps Deb recommended.  It's not even 9pm and I'm about to feed the dogs and then clean up the last few things and go lie down in bed--very early night around here. 

I think (fingers crossed here) that my arms/back should feel okay tomorrow.  You know how when something hurts, and you start compensating and moving in weird ways to avoid the part that hurts, then other stuff starts to ache?  That was my day, but gotta say, a lot better than Saturday (or Sunday).  Gonna start the pills tomorrow, all three of us _should_ be at 100%. 

Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I _think_ I've had that feeling from some hard candies, it feels like tiny cuts, but I haven't had it for ages, I have no idea what causes it. 

Glad you're feeling better, even though it's not all the way.

Get a copy of your bloodwork.  What type of thyroid med are you on?  T4 meds have pretty long half-lives, that's why the re-check after a med change is 4 or 6 weeks, so, if you were an average patient, taking a pill every other day would be fine because a lot of what's circulating in your bloodstream is the amount you took a week or two or four ago.  People who hang around here seem a lot more sensitive, though, and may have issues with that.  But really, share a copy of your bloodwork before you fiddle around (unless you feel like it's more prudent to reduce first)?  Fatigue can be adrenal, or more likely, depending on what they checked, you just may not be converting T4 well, it'll look high, your TSH will look low, but your cells are still crying out for more thyroid chemicals.  Got any selenium (or brazil nuts)?  (hate to ask after you just went to the HFS)  Worked for my dog.  hide.gif  Just saying.' 

Quote:

It doesn't sound normal to me.  DS is 4 and occasionally has accidents like you describe--very occasionally, like once every 2 months? -- and DD just turned 7 and may have had something like that twice the entire time she was 6.  I think some kids, at DS's age, don't have this at all, I know DS can get very into whatever he's doing--he has pee accidents much more often, and he has some focus/attention issues (sometimes gets deeply into what he's playing, if I don't keep up with his DMG he doesn't listen well to my requests).  I'd wonder if the rash around the lips, maybe he's licking _because_ of the rash, at least it sounds like DS's food reaction mouth rash.  The dark circles, my understanding is nutrient deficiencies that can be induced by food allergies.  Iron is also a possibility, just being low or low because of problematic foods, but I think it can be any nutrient, and sometimes the fix is just finding the food then the nutrients correct themselves.  For that matter, DD's dark circles mostly correlate to her digestion being off, but while I can certainly imagine that's causing nutrient issues, I don't know which one(s). 

Oh, and about our party yesterday?  How's this?  The dad, he's a PA and his second job is DAN! related, and he's working with someone who does a lot with mito issues.  I think if I ever need to understand more, I'd chat him up a bit.  I'm finding it's a bit tricky, though, IRL, because people have strong feelings about things, and while I'm really a lot more comfortable with oral chelation, I think they're more IV leaning, and I'm not going to second-guess them, but I wouldn't want to feel like I had to defend myself, or I wouldn't want them to think I was judging.  So it seems to get tricky really fast--but they still seem like very nice folks, I think this is going to work out quite well. 

Old 12-20-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:

bummer. We've been thinking about taking him to the doc because of the dark circles under his eyes. And now this. Do you think it will be enough for her to refer us to an allergist? Did they give your ds an allergy test, based on that?

He's already told me that he wants to be tested instead of do ED's- even though I told him the allergy tests kinda hurt. lol

eta- huh? I just edited this to respond to tanyalynn, and it didn't show up. It's giving me trouble. Gaah, anyway...suffice it to say, I think you may be right about the lip thing. As I think more about it, I don't think the rash is caused by the licking. He was licking all the way around his lips, but that made it look chapped, and was fixed by vaseline. This is definitely a rash, and vaseline doesn't fix it. The accidents are happening more than I'd think would be "normal" for a kid, even one who was caught up in playing.

So, yeah. Our doc is going to think we're nuts. lol

etaa- oh my! Apparently some parents punish for this!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 12-20-2010, 11:33 PM

Becky, yeah, doesn't sound normal to me. Dd just turned 4 and pee or poop accidents are really rare. If she has one, it's cause she's sick or reacting. I don't know how it factors in, but we did ec with her. For the lip rash, I'd also be wondering why he's licking them so often?

You know you've been at this too long when...
Dd ate a blue raspberry flavor neon blue watermelon-shaped lollipop today. You can tell it had all sorts of goodness in it, yeah? She was starving, it was a late lunch, she had been in a good mood, but was at her limit. Then she ate the lollipop, then was miss crankypants. Insisted on things her way, started throwing fits though was clearly trying to control herself. Got home (after eating a taco) and was a little grump. Refused to eat dinner, preferred to whine and yell and insist that we come play computer games with her instead. Her cheeks were a bit pink. Finally ate a bite or two of dinner, which generally snaps her out of it, and was still grumpy. Decided the 3 drops of orange juice on her meant she *needed* a bath. Dh added epsom salts. Near instant happy kid with normal cheeks who scarfed a bag of sweet potato chips after the bath. And you know you've been at this too long when it makes you banana.gif to see such a clear and obvious reaction AND know the right stuff to stop it. orngbiggrin.gif I'm super excited to see this behavior again and see if Its just artificial colors, or sals, too. Seriously, I'm giddy and cant wait to see a reaction like that again. nut.gif

I need sleep.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 AM

Anyone else catching the eclipse? Lots of cloud cover here but wind is keeping the clouds on the move just enough to see the moon peeking through.

I've been in pain all day. My chest has been really tight and wanting to pop, and actually popping when I make the effort. I think I may have gotten some gluten in my shake from Jack in the Box yesterday. Yes I know, bad idea. But it was yummy... <bag over head smilie> I'm lucky so far it's just the mild pain, versus the hit-by-a-truck+extreme depression that usually hits me. Maybe this means I'm beginning to heal?

I've been totally blown away the past few days because my boys are actually playing together for the first time ever. DS1 usually just doesn't play. He sorts, organizes, moves toys from box to bin to bag and back, collects, lines up and takes inventory of his toys, but he doesn't play with them... or at least he didn't until the past week or so. DS2 plays elaborate imaginative games and it seems he's inspired DS1 to join him.  As a result, DS1 has been much easier to deal with since he's keeping himself busy for a fairly significant portion of the day. 

The poop definitely doesn't sound normal. DS1 has had maybe 2 poop accidents since he was about 2, both times he was half asleep and I think he thought he was sitting on the pot lol. DS2 still has the occasional potty miss but I can almost always trace it back to something he's eaten or drank (Ie too much apple juice nearly always causes pee accidents.)

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:19 AM

DS1 got some test results back.  Ferritin is a little low - will start cell salts, vit D is low normal - will increase vit D.

B12 is extremely high.  Doc wants me to stop all B12.  I am wondering if he is having a hard time converting B12 to other things.  What do you need to do that?  I'm not convinced that he is getting too much.  I just think he doesn't know what to do with it.   Upper normal limit is 840. He was at 4000.

"His Vitamin B12 is EXTREMELY HIGH!  It's greater than 4,000 (the normal upper limit of normal is around 850).  Interestingly, vitamin B12 toxicity is capable of causing some similar problems as deficiency sometimes causes (parasthesias, peripheral neuropathy, etc), though not the anemia the b12 deficiency causes.  I wonder if some of his issues are either being causes or aggrivated by this somewhat toxic level.  Are you giving him supplementation?  How much exactly?  Please stop all B12 supplements.  There's nothing serious that can happen from this ,so please don't be worried. "

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 AM

Just curious, what were his #s?  Were the results based on conventional ranges?

And really curious how much b12 you are supplementing.  And it wouldn't surprise me if he isn't utilizing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWithin View Post

DS1 got some test results back.  Ferritin is a little low - will start cell salts, vit D is low normal - will increase vit D.

B12 is extremely high.  Doc wants me to stop all B12.  I am wondering if he is having a hard time converting B12 to other things.  What do you need to do that?  I'm not convinced that he is getting too much.  I just think he doesn't know what to do with it.   Upper normal limit is 840. He was at 4000.

"His Vitamin B12 is EXTREMELY HIGH!  It's greater than 4,000 (the normal upper limit of normal is around 850).  Interestingly, vitamin B12 toxicity is capable of causing some similar problems as deficiency sometimes causes (parasthesias, peripheral neuropathy, etc), though not the anemia the b12 deficiency causes.  I wonder if some of his issues are either being causes or aggrivated by this somewhat toxic level.  Are you giving him supplementation?  How much exactly?  Please stop all B12 supplements.  There's nothing serious that can happen from this ,so please don't be worried. "

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Allergies or intolerances. I don't think either of my older kids ever had poop accidents. Pee accidents at 6yo yes, a couple. But the lip rash sounds a lot like my DS's intolerances, and random rashes are a sign of something.

Quote:

I _think_ I've had that feeling from some hard candies, it feels like tiny cuts, but I haven't had it for ages, I have no idea what causes it. 

Glad you're feeling better, even though it's not all the way.

Get a copy of your bloodwork.  What type of thyroid med are you on?  T4 meds have pretty long half-lives, that's why the re-check after a med change is 4 or 6 weeks, so, if you were an average patient, taking a pill every other day would be fine because a lot of what's circulating in your bloodstream is the amount you took a week or two or four ago.  People who hang around here seem a lot more sensitive, though, and may have issues with that.  But really, share a copy of your bloodwork before you fiddle around (unless you feel like it's more prudent to reduce first)?  Fatigue can be adrenal, or more likely, depending on what they checked, you just may not be converting T4 well, it'll look high, your TSH will look low, but your cells are still crying out for more thyroid chemicals.  Got any selenium (or brazil nuts)?  (hate to ask after you just went to the HFS)  Worked for my dog.  hide.gif  Just saying.'  

I'm on compounded thyroid that's an Armour equivalent (so I think it's a combo one). My doctor checks every 2 months. He said borderline hyperthyroid. They didn't give me numbers. They usually mail them to me a few days later, so I'll let you know when I get them. No I don't have any selenium. And yesterday I felt good, so probably did too much. And couldn't sleep last night. Finally fell asleep around midnight. DH came home from work at 4am, then I got up at 6:15 to get the kids ready for school. I was going to take a nap after my SIL and half-brother left (4-day visit, tiring, though they helped out with things) but now I'm not sleepy. I'm adrenal fatigued - at least I was a couple years ago and nothing much has changed except more stress, so I'm assuming I haven't gotten much better. I just didn't know if the every other day thing made sense or if I should try opening a capsule and taking half at a time.

Quote:

Quote:

bummer. We've been thinking about taking him to the doc because of the dark circles under his eyes. And now this. Do you think it will be enough for her to refer us to an allergist? Did they give your ds an allergy test, based on that?

He's already told me that he wants to be tested instead of do ED's- even though I told him the allergy tests kinda hurt. lol

eta- huh? I just edited this to respond to tanyalynn, and it didn't show up. It's giving me trouble. Gaah, anyway...suffice it to say, I think you may be right about the lip thing. As I think more about it, I don't think the rash is caused by the licking. He was licking all the way around his lips, but that made it look chapped, and was fixed by vaseline. This is definitely a rash, and vaseline doesn't fix it. The accidents are happening more than I'd think would be "normal" for a kid, even one who was caught up in playing.

So, yeah. Our doc is going to think we're nuts. lol

etaa- oh my! Apparently some parents punish for this!

I think I mentioned it above, but if nothing shows up at an allergist, it doesn't mean it's necessarily not food, so he may end up with an elimination diet anyway. Or at least a food journal if things come and go. You might just want to tell him that going into it, that it might not give him all the answers, so that he's not disappointed if you end up pulling a food, or having an aha moment when food journaling or something.

Quote:

Becky, yeah, doesn't sound normal to me. Dd just turned 4 and pee or poop accidents are really rare. If she has one, it's cause she's sick or reacting. I don't know how it factors in, but we did ec with her. For the lip rash, I'd also be wondering why he's licking them so often?

Dd ate a blue raspberry flavor neon blue watermelon-shaped lollipop today. You can tell it had all sorts of goodness in it, yeah? She was starving, it was a late lunch, she had been in a good mood, but was at her limit. Then she ate the lollipop, then was miss crankypants. Insisted on things her way, started throwing fits though was clearly trying to control herself. Got home (after eating a taco) and was a little grump. Refused to eat dinner, preferred to whine and yell and insist that we come play computer games with her instead. Her cheeks were a bit pink. Finally ate a bite or two of dinner, which generally snaps her out of it, and was still grumpy. Decided the 3 drops of orange juice on her meant she *needed* a bath. Dh added epsom salts. Near instant happy kid with normal cheeks who scarfed a bag of sweet potato chips after the bath. And you know you've been at this too long when it makes you banana.gif to see such a clear and obvious reaction AND know the right stuff to stop it. orngbiggrin.gif I'm super excited to see this behavior again and see if Its just artificial colors, or sals, too. Seriously, I'm giddy and cant wait to see a reaction like that again. nut.gif

I need sleep.

It's great that you saw it, and fixed it!! I wish my kids were that fixable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfairy View Post

Anyone else catching the eclipse? Lots of cloud cover here but wind is keeping the clouds on the move just enough to see the moon peeking through.

I've been in pain all day. My chest has been really tight and wanting to pop, and actually popping when I make the effort. I think I may have gotten some gluten in my shake from Jack in the Box yesterday. Yes I know, bad idea. But it was yummy... <bag over head smilie> I'm lucky so far it's just the mild pain, versus the hit-by-a-truck+extreme depression that usually hits me. Maybe this means I'm beginning to heal? 

When DH came home at 4am from work I asked if he saw the eclipse and he said it was too cloudy so I'm glad I didn't get up for it, even though I wasn't really asleep anyway. Apparently some parts of the country saw it better than others. I don't even want to know the ingredients of a Jack in the Box shake, though I used to love McD's strawberry milkshakes, even though they tasted chemically. That was back in the days when I didn't know/care what was in my food. But it seems like a good sign that your symptoms aren't as bad as they used to be. Hopefully it passes quickly for you.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM

I got up for the eclipse... didn't see it. greensad.gif

I need some meal ideas (you don't have to post recipes- just some things that you like to cook that are gluten/dairy/soy/corn-free.) I'm working like mad these days, and have no time or energy to think about cooking or shopping, so we've been defaulting to pizza a lot. bag.gif My body is not liking it, and I need to stop. So I need to have some things on hand (snacks/freezer meals/casseroles that will last a few days?) to shove in my mouth when I'm starving and exhausted.

Sorry I'm not responding to anyone... trying to skim through threads really quick before I go back to work.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:17 AM

wrapped gifts til 1ish

ds3 woke up for the day at 4

faint.gif

Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 AM

DD2 is doing really well overall.  I've decided wheat does affect her attitude, so I've pulled it again.  Her poops are fantastic, even without supplementing Mag!!!!  I never thought I'd see the day she pooped even once per day, let alone sometimes more than once.  I got liquid MO for her, that stuff is great, she takes it right from the dropper.  What else are the biggies she needs for sals?  I do epsom salt baths a few nights per week for her.  Are those the two biggies for her then?  She gets mB12 some days.  Just trying to stay on top of things.  We've had so many changes that all of the info I have gets mushed together in my head lol!  I was so hopeful no sals, etc would make her magically sleep through the night like it does for so many others, but nope.  It's time to get her nightweaned, which I hate doing, but we both need more sleep.  Plus she's almost 3...so I'd like her to cut back in general, even though it kinda makes me sad too. :(  The othher night I splurged on pizza with DD1 when she had a rough day, and just chowed.  I did however take an enzyme pill beforehand to see how that helped...and I didn't really notice a reaction in DD2. I need to experiment more but I think these will be great.  I sprinkled them on her watermelon yesterday, and she may have still been a little crabby after but she didn't totally flip out, so they may really be doing something.

DS1 is doing well too, his eczema is totally traceable to the sals. More experimenting with enzymes needed still.  I need to feed him something I know will break him out and see what happens.  He has caroling with cub scouts tonight so that might be a good test.  And all the goodies from friends this week, lol.  I'd like to give him the pills and let him have fun and hopefully it will keep him from being itchy!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 12-21-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:

When DH came home at 4am from work I asked if he saw the eclipse and he said it was too cloudy so I'm glad I didn't get up for it, even though I wasn't really asleep anyway. Apparently some parts of the country saw it better than others. I don't even want to know the ingredients of a Jack in the Box shake, though I used to love McD's strawberry milkshakes, even though they tasted chemically. That was back in the days when I didn't know/care what was in my food. But it seems like a good sign that your symptoms aren't as bad as they used to be. Hopefully it passes quickly for you.

Mmm I craved the McD's strawberry shakes when I was pregnant with DS1. And french fries. I didn't give in too often, thankfully. Sunday's shake was strawberry too. I'm skeered to look up the ingredients, but I'm 99% sure they use the little mixer wand and share it with the Oreo shakes. :/  The pain seems much better today. Actually it seemed to get a bit better after I spent an hour moving boxes back and forth in my storage unit yesterday looking for our Christmas decorations (which I found - yay! minus one stocking - boo.) Maybe increasing my metabolism helped? Or maybe I just popped something just right.

DS2 passed out early last night and to nobody's surprise woke up at 2:30. I think he finally went back to sleep about 5. Thank goodness DH got up with the kids at 7:30!

Did someone say WF has chemical-free candy canes? I picked up some "natural flavored" canes at WM, but would love to find some without the dye. Thinking of making the trek into town today.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWithin View Post

Are you still seeing methylation symptoms?  What are other cofactors for methylation?  folate, b6, mag, b2, what else? 

Quote:

Quote:

I need sleep.

It's great that you saw it, and fixed it!! I wish my kids were that fixable.

I think this was one of the clearest reactions out of her I've *ever* seen.  And the very first time I've seen an epsom salt bath actually do anything at all.  Awesome :)

CS, inspiring allergy menu thread?

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1213325/inspiring-allergy-friendly-menus

hugs, JR

True Blue, B6 for sals, too, and that one goes through milk.

And yeah, our WF has candy canes dyed with beet juice.

eta:  Tanya, I haven't forgotten about the cysteine/zinc/glutathione thing, I just haven't had a chance to look at it yet.  I want to!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Chocolate chip bacon cookies

I have a GF choc chip cookie mix in my pantry and I'm debating whether these sound delicious or not so much. Santa needs cookies...

User Tag List