Delicious December 2010 Chat - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 770 Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Finally have to admit that I need to slow down and not plan as much with a newborn and allergies.  We spent the day yesterday trying to get things done, make lots of food.  It was hard to remember the purpose of it all.

Selah appears to be sick again (third time in her 8 weeks here). On Thursday she was spitting up so much that I could have squeezed out my shirt.  Yesterday was really bad.  Homeopathy helped quite a bit, otherwise I think we would be going to the er for hydration.  She appears to be better today.  DS1 has had significant diahrea for about 8 days.  So there is something going on in this house.

Today we are staying in our PJs and just putting dinner in the over - no complicated foods.  Lots of Legos.  It has been peaceful and fun.

MERRY CHRISTMAS allergy family.

Sorry it has been so tough for you Shannon.  It is so hard to cope when emotions and behavioral stuff is added.

I've been taking an iron pill every other day for about 5 days. . . and I haven't pooped in 3 days.  ugh.  lots more mag citrate today.  Maybe I should be giving DS1 some iron pills. 

Sorry sick CS

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#602 of 770 Old 12-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Thanks to stockings and Santa, we slept til 9. Just about to get dressed and out the door again, this time to see SIL and her LOs.

Merry Christmas.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#603 of 770 Old 12-25-2010, 12:38 PM

I just came home from spending 5hrs at the ER. I have a kidney stone. :(

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#604 of 770 Old 12-25-2010, 12:55 PM

omg... so sick today. fever.gif I was sneezing all day yesterday, thought it was just allergies, and then just out of the blue started coughing last night. Was up all night coughing... my lungs are really starting to hurt today. greensad.gif Tried to drink a big pot of garlic/lemon/honey tea last night, but it immediately gave me heartburn and I was afraid I was going to puke it all up... arg. Any other ideas to get me through this holiday weekend?

eta: Hugs for everyone else sick and feeling crappy.

And MERRY CHRISTMAS!! Love you guys. love.gif

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#605 of 770 Old 12-25-2010, 01:32 PM

Ugh, everyone is sick!

I still have my minor illness, with runny nose.  The kid seems to have it now, so I guess it IS contagious, and not an allergy.  Yet I still don't feel actually sick, and it hasn't changed over a few days time.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#606 of 770 Old 12-25-2010, 05:25 PM

What is it with all of us being sick?? it's cyber contagious or something?

I really like Tynenol #3, I have my pain under control with them. I really hope that it doesn''t get worse as I may have to get a stent put in to help relieve the pain until I give birth. Then they may do a laxer operation to get the stone out. :( I feel like thsi pgcy is totally against me this time. I have been sick on and off since July and now this. Really tired of this all. All I want is to be healthy and be able to care for my girls.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#607 of 770 Old 12-25-2010, 05:51 PM

Ginger tea, Jessica? Thyme tea for a suppressant (night time, for resting), marjoram for an expectorant. Ginger will help somewhat if it's becoming an infection, but also has expectorant properties, I believe.

Sandrine... All I can say is OUCH and I hope that you're feeling better soon.

Everyone else who's not well, I wish you well soon.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#608 of 770 Old 12-25-2010, 06:48 PM

hmmm... I don't have any fresh ginger in the house; I do have candied ginger though. orngbiggrin.gif Up to now it's been a dry, hacking cough, but this afternoon it's starting to get a tiny bit productive every so often, so an expectorant would probably be good.

This sucks. I've done so much better with this pregnancy than the last, and now all of a sudden I can't seem to stay healthy. blah.

How was everyone's xmas celebration (if you have one)? We didn't do much... we did wrap a few things for DD last night and put them under our tree this morning, so she was pretty excited. smile.gif Since then, we've been watching a Dirty Jobs marathon on Netflix. Love that show. Just got online to get some work time in, but I can't stare at this screen anymore... Back to Dirty Jobs. orngbiggrin.gif

#609 of 770 Old 12-25-2010, 07:31 PM

Christmas turned out great over here, amazingly (after yesterday), one of the lowest stress ones ever. Gifts were great, hanging out with family was great, having kids to run around was fun. Then dd crashed HARD after dinner (at a friends house with lots of strangers). My milk's totally busted, my pee's way acidic, and ds woke up crying inconsolably at dinner. So now we're home, both kids are asleep, and I get to scramble to put together a birthday party for tomorrow as soon as I can get them both in bed and detached. Yie yie yie.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#610 of 770 Old 12-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Sick, sick, sick today. Luckily just sinuses so far, but dh and dd are still coughing from their bout earlier in the week so I am looking forward to post-nasal drip irritating my throat. Honey has been helping dd's cough which has been a mix of dry and productive. I gave her some Herba-Tussin tea but it made her act funny so I didn't give her anymore. I think just about everyone I know is sick right now.

Christmas morn was fine, my blender batter pancakes with buckwheat were runny so I threw in some almond flour and they stayed together even w/o eggs. Had fillet mignon from our quarter cow for dinner, yummy enough that I could taste it through my stuffiness. Lots of caramelized onions and mushrooms. No sweets, though since I am not ready to face the coconut issue. Dh got me an MP3 player, which I have asking for for a while.

Merry Christmas, mamas, wellness with you.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#611 of 770 Old 12-25-2010, 08:42 PM

I just went to the Meridian Valley Labs website, because I'm thinking about doing another IgG test since my eczema won't go away... and I saw that they have a home test kit now too- and it's only $174 for 95 foods! Just wanted to let you guys know. smile.gif

eta: I'm suspecting eggs for me now. greensad.gif I was hoping I could keep them in... but the gluten/dairy/soy/corn-free isn't completely working. greensad.gif

#612 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 12:27 AM

Ahhhh so glad Christmas is over. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but the stress... I'm just so glad it's over.  

This afternoon at my mom's was just a gluten-fest. My dad was cooking waffles from scratch, and spraying the waffle iron with Pam for baking - which contains flour. Yay. Even DH complained after we left that he didn't feel right from all the flour in the air. I really love getting together with them though, they're just so laid back about almost everything.  Ya kinda have to be when you're dealing with um... 17 kids and 10 adults at every family function (that's just my sibs and our kids!) Yes, it's crazy there. lol  Oh and my sister - bless her heart! She made treat baskets for each family, and put cookies and bread into everyone else's, and FRUIT in ours! I LOVED it. It was so thoughtful and just perfect.

Dinner with the IL's was really pleasant, but the kids were so tired and I had such a headache we were glad to be done when it was time to go home. Too bad DS2 fell asleep on the way home and has been wide awake since midnight. It's after 2am now and he shows no signs of getting sleepy. 

I've been feeling nauseated for a few days. Since I've had a headache today I've been chalking it up to that, but when I mentioned that I ate mashed potatoes, zucchini and bacon for breakfast this morning, my sisters asked me if I'm pregnant. Um, nope I don't think so and I sure hope not!  Actually something prompted DH to ask me the same thing the other night too. Maybe I should get a test...

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#613 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sandrine, ugh, so not fun.  I hope it stabilizes and stays that way, extra stressful to deal with stuff while pregnant.

Hugs to everyone sick--seriously, makes me wonder if we _are_ cyber-contagious.  This is too many people sick on Christmas.  Yikes. 

We ended up having a very nice day.  Had Chinese for dinner, I made a stir-fry, a recipe of my dad's.  Everybody was happy, especially me since I got comfort food.

Ooh, neat cheap present, these kid-safe knives...

http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-Fresh-Cut-Salad-Knife/dp/B002PNACZS/ref=pd_sbs_k_3

Figured I'd share it here (unless I did already and forgot, that happens eyesroll.gif ... a lot), since everyone here is pretty food-focused.  The kids cut all the bell peppers (with some prep from me) for dinner, and I was surprised they did such a good job.  DH supervised while I chopped other stuff, they had fun, started to learn some knife skills.  This could be really good--I mean for family together-time, them feeling good learning skills, and them doing actual, helpful work.  I have slacked too much on the last. 

Kids got Leapsters, more similar to Nintendo DS's than I realized but I can live with it.  Though they really look like little gateway toys before you actually get a DS--at least I have postponed any discussion for a year, maybe several. 

CS -- I hope it's not eggs... though if it means you figure it out and stop reacting, then that's good, but why can't it be something like artichokes?  Wouldn't that be nice instead?  But of course, you're not eating them (I assume) enough to cause a lot of problems.  But egg, bummer. 

DH is home for an entire week.  We haven't had a whole week at home for a long time.  I want today to be lazy and relaxed, but I'm thinking both DH and I will be getting antsy to start working on stuff around the house after this.  And I think he's excited about the idea of another baby.  Doesn't quite get the timeline and the things I want to accomplish before then, but it's a different attitude than, say, a year ago when both of us would've just felt overwhelmed and not very enthused.  I'm hoping that maybe starting tomorrow I can get back onto the low carb bandwagon for him, plus hopefully get some extra food cooked and frozen for busy days or feeling-icky days or whatever.  My arm injury was a good reminder that I need a fallback position for when I can't cook. 

#614 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 06:45 AM

:eyes

#615 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 07:28 AM

grouphug.gif

Time for crazy day number next. And lots and lots and lots of broth all around. Then will tomorrow be calm? CalmER but I don't have my hopes up. Too much happening in this next week. Dh is home, but stressed out. Gotta focus on him. Does that (the fact that I'm focusing on someone other than myself:o) mean I'm feeling a bit better at least? I hope so. I want my milk to be good again. Dd is so miserable at night (I'm limiting her milk to just before bed) that if things stay bad, she's going to wean. She's NOT ready, and that would just be the suckiest weaning ever. Broth, broth, broth!

#616 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss_understood View Post

BIL just tasted my cornbread and declared it "unlike any cornbread I've ever eaten" and said "it's missing that cornmeal flavour".

Awesome. gloomy.gif

I guess he wasn't raised in our house: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" (that's one of my mother's do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do things). Sorry Jacq!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theloose View Post

I'll add to the everything going wrong list. The birthday pinata is falling apart, the texture on the cake is all wrong, I haven't made any Christmas food for tomorrow, the waffle iron my mom got me so we could do waffles for Christmas breakfast hasn't come it, dinner's going to be super late, I've broken two needles on my new serger trying to make dd's Xmas pajamas, we dont have other presents for her or ds, the gift for my sister hasn't come in, I'm reacting to god know what and operating on nowhere enough sleep, and I don't want to eat anything for fear that I react to it and make everything worse. And all this (coming from me) is stressing dh out to the point that he's shutting down too and all I can do is get more frustrated and stressed out by him.
BAH HUMBUG. This sucks.

Sorry!! I hope things get better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

I think I figured out part of my dissatisfaction.  DH is really good about helping me out--amuse the kids for a while, do errands or shopping, not stressing when I'm tired and can't cook and we have either a convenient dinner (boring, not very nutritious) or he picks something up.  But (and really, this is pathetic to complain about, I think it says more about my mental state than his behavior), I could use more stuff that's for _me_, like making the cake.  I'm going to do it, it'll be tasty, just be nice if it felt like someone was pampering me.  Guess I want my mom to visit. 

I have the same issue. It's hard sometimes, as a mom, to get some time just for you. I think that's why I put up with my mom for so long when she was here, even though she's got a lot of negativity that she brings with her. It just felt like someone was taking care of me. And sometimes you just need a little of that. Sometimes it doesn't take much, just a little time for yourself without everyone else demanding your attention.

Quote:

What's the fastest way to alkalize your body?  I know I'm reacting.  Tested pee and it's off the chart acidic.  Beats being pg and not being able to excrete acid.  What can I do before going over to my mom's as soon as ds wakes up from his nap?  Anyone around?

Nightgown finished.  Nobody look at the seams/thread, I'm blaming it all on the serger.  Dd gets a singing bear, and a nightgown for christmas.  Ds gets... nothing from us.  But he's only 9mo, so it doesn't matter, right?

9 month old will like wrapping paper and boxes. I don't think they care at that point, and certainly won't remember.

Some of the top alkalizers I was doing are San Pellegrino water (that's one of the best surprisingly), lemon water.

Doris Rapp's book has baking soda to stop reactions... let me look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

hug2.gif everyone. I worked all morning, and then spent all afternoon in the kitchen. I'm wiped. I made gfdf bread, creamy spinach soup, sweet potato fritters, and lollipops. (We ended up just pouring them out onto a cookie sheet, which worked way better than I was anticipating.) I used beet juice which made it a lovely dark pink... and then right before I got to temperature, a little burned on the bottom of the pan. Arg. So now they're a nice brown color. lol.gif But DD sure loves them! So I guess by tomorrow, I should know if cane sugar is on our bad list... (I'm currently suspecting the candied ginger as our current reaction issue. So either ginger or cane sugar.)

I took one sip of DP's beer last night (new flavor), and my eczema is completely bubbly and red today. Since I finally stopped the gluten & dairy earlier this week, the eczema was almost gone. greensad.gif DAMN YOU GLUTEN!!

The candy sounds fun and great that your DD liked it!! When I said the red velvet cake looked really good, MIL said "why don't you just have a little piece?" and I backed away like it was poison. I finally got over my nausea in the past week and started feeling normal. That is so scary a thought!! Maybe I'm just a wimp but I'm terrified of reactions. It's why I don't try to add foods more often to the kids' diets. It's easier to avoid ginger than cane sugar, so I'm hoping for ginger for her...

Quote:

Sorry for everyone getting sick, except Aris, sorry he's not getting sick greensad.gifhug.gif

I mixed lemon juice with baking soda and drank it, per some random site online, and I swear it picked up my mood almost immediately. I'm terrified of it making my milk worse, though. I can't handle another cranky kid day, and I want dd to be able to enjoy Christmas! I chased the drink with some clay water, maybe that will help. And as I type this, I'm realizing... If it's an acid/alkaline thing that's responsible for my miserable reaction moods, and something like baking soda and lemon juice can stop that reaction... That's seriously powerful information. Anyone else feel like playing with ph testing during reactions?

Here's Doris Rapp's thing... "A nonprescription item that can prevent and relieve allergic reactions is baking soda. In the 1940s Dr. Randolph wrote than an alkali preparation of two parts baking soa and one part potassium bicarbonate helped to relieve allergic reactions. It can be taken orally, and in my experience it appears to relieve about 60% of children's food-allergy-related symptoms within 5-15 minutes." She says Alka-Aid (health food stores) is the best one because it has both things in it, but plain baking soda and water  works in an emergency. And it should not be used on a regular basis only for emergencies. There's also something called Intal (cromolyn sodium). It's supposed to prevent reactions. Not sure if it works the same way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsfairy View Post

I'm just barely out of nearly 3 days of mood hell. I'm not sure I can handle these mood swings... I don't know if it was residual from the gluten (and I'm 99.9% sure it was gluten because my DH rash flared up the other day) or something else, but it was not pretty. The kids haven't been sleeping well which means neither have I and that's not helping either. The other night DS2 woke up for the day at 2:45 am! DH took over for me around 6 and I got a few hours of broken sleep. I'm one of those people who needs like 9hrs a night to function well, so lack of sleep really does a number on me.

Today was a much better day, though I was pretty tired and took 2 naps. I managed to get the kids out of the house for a few hours (we spent it at my mom's) so DH could assemble their new swing set, and we even made it to the grocery store before they closed for the evening. I didn't get any baking done, except for one batch of fudge that was yum but it sure isn't enough for all the gifts I was going to give. So I'll bring it over as a treat for my mom in the morning anyway. I feel badly that I'll essentially be empty-handed when we come over, but I was doing really well just to get stuff for my kids (who are probably getting too much but they sure will be happy.) 

On Christmas day we always go to my parents' house and have brunch, which includes waffles with lots of healthy stuff like strawberries in heavy syrup, cool whip and other yummies (lol.) I'm bringing some gf van's and the leftover gf chocolate chocolate chip pancakes we had for dinner tonight, so I think we'll be good. My mom's been great about asking what we can eat and she's making sure to have bacon instead of sausage for us. :) Weird for me, I seem to have completely lost my taste for grains. The pancakes DH made tonight were delicious, but I could barely choke down one tiny one. The texture was just really unpleasant. I hoovered some bacon though, and ate way too many chocolate chips. I'm also slightly addicted to mashed potatoes. I can seriously eat them for almost every meal and I'm thinking about taking some for brunch. o_o

MIL has been really trying to accommodate our food needs too. She and BIL have called several times this week to ask about specific ingredients. Today BIL called to ask if we could have chocolate. DH told him yes, which confused BIL because it has soy in it, and we can't have soy sauce. lol They're really trying. And miracle of miracles, I got an email (sent to DH who had me read it) from FIL actually apologizing and welcoming me into their home. I think (hope) it's legit, but at any rate I conceded to DH that we can visit for Christmas dinner.

BIG HUGS to everyone who needs them, and have a very Merry Christmas/Yule/Happy Day. :)

Sounds like you're doing pretty well!! It's so nice when family tries to accommodate your needs. It means a lot more than a lot of gifts, in my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post

I just came home from spending 5hrs at the ER. I have a kidney stone. :(

Ouch. Bummer. My father has had a bunch. And now my brother has had a couple of them. Mighty painful. My father had to have his last one lasered.

Quote:

omg... so sick today. fever.gif I was sneezing all day yesterday, thought it was just allergies, and then just out of the blue started coughing last night. Was up all night coughing... my lungs are really starting to hurt today. greensad.gif Tried to drink a big pot of garlic/lemon/honey tea last night, but it immediately gave me heartburn and I was afraid I was going to puke it all up... arg. Any other ideas to get me through this holiday weekend?

eta: Hugs for everyone else sick and feeling crappy.

And MERRY CHRISTMAS!! Love you guys. love.gif

Bone broth. Have any in your freezer? It's my go-to remedy for colds.

Quote:

We're not sick (none of us as a matter of fact). Though DS got the lip rash back on Christmas Eve, and hadn't had anything weird. I let DD2 and DS have the Sierra Mist Natural with me on Christmas Eve for a treat. DS had already started the rash 3 hours before (which was probably bad because it muddied the water) but there was no reaction as far as I could tell for either of them. They slept fine, no stomach aches, no behavior issues, etc. So on Monday I'm going to call the company and ask what their citric acid source is. If it's corn like everyone else, maybe I can add things back in with citric acid. That would add a lot back for us. And I could have canned artichoke hearts again. Yum. I've missed artichoke dip, and I think I could figure out a way to make it if I could just have the artichoke hearts (and no, I've never cooked a real one, though I ate one once and I didn't see the point -- hee hee). I got Julia Child's volume 2 for christmas plus a DVD of 6 hours of her cooking. I'm all excited because almost all the cream soups look pretty easy and have really a minor amount of milk/cream in them - like 1/4-1/2 c. It's mostly just pureed veggies in stock, with herbs and stuff. So I'm thinking I can do it with just almond or rice milk. Some of them she thickens with rice while cooking (before pureeing) and some of them she thickens with egg yolk... so I'm thinking of trying some different soups this winter. Something I've missed, when only having broth based soups.

Quote:

I just went to the Meridian Valley Labs website, because I'm thinking about doing another IgG test since my eczema won't go away... and I saw that they have a home test kit now too- and it's only $174 for 95 foods! Just wanted to let you guys know. smile.gif

eta: I'm suspecting eggs for me now. greensad.gif I was hoping I could keep them in... but the gluten/dairy/soy/corn-free isn't completely working. greensad.gif

I hope it's something else too. Though if you could figure it out, that would be nice!!

We're supposed to be starting a blizzard. A couple of feet and 50mph winds expected. My little hairless dog is NOT going to like it. The kids just brought double the amount of wood as usual into the garage to get us through. And I made banana muffins, bread crumbs out of the rest of my bread (had egg in it) and some croutons out of DS's bread (he loves them with just a little olive oil and garlic powder on them). I've got lots of leftover ham so I think I'm going to make scalloped potatoes and ham for me (DS can't have it, nobody else likes it) for dinner. The rest of them can eat leftovers. We've got acorn squash and cauliflower cooked leftover. And I still have some coffeecake (really good). My SIL (like Jacq's BIL) said "that coffeecake doesn't look like MY coffeecake" and I said DH "made a normal one for everyone else; this is the one for" DS, DD2, and me. She was like, "ooooh" like I was a weirdo. She's the one that always makes lasagna and cheese on the salads, and everything else when we come over. Doesn't even try to make one thing we can have. Whatever. Let it go. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#617 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 10:09 AM

Like many others, I'm not feeling well.

Thanks for the kind words to counter BILs.

People can just be so clueless.

Hoping for something easier than eggs, CS.

Hoping everyone who sick or reacting recovers quickly.

#618 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 10:13 AM

Arg. I traded the ability to type smilies with the ability to quote properly... it's getting annoying. Maybe I'll switch back.

tsfairy- that is really cool and thoughtful about the fruit basket. It's so nice when people make an effort like that.

lol Tanya- I wish it were something like artichokes too!! But I'm guessing since eggs were + on my last IgG, and I seem to be reacting to all my other positives all of a sudden... greensad.gif But if it's eggs, I'm not paying for NAET anymore, because I'm supposed to be cleared of eggs. (So is DD... but I figured she has more components to clear than I do.)
Quote:
Here's Doris Rapp's thing... "A nonprescription item that can prevent and relieve allergic reactions is baking soda. In the 1940s Dr. Randolph wrote than an alkali preparation of two parts baking soa and one part potassium bicarbonate helped to relieve allergic reactions. It can be taken orally, and in my experience it appears to relieve about 60% of children's food-allergy-related symptoms within 5-15 minutes." She says Alka-Aid (health food stores) is the best one because it has both things in it, but plain baking soda and water works in an emergency. And it should not be used on a regular basis only for emergencies. There's also something called Intal (cromolyn sodium). It's supposed to prevent reactions. Not sure if it works the same way.

Huh. Cromolyn sodium is the prescription (Gastrocrom) that our allergist suggested a while back. He said it's pretty old school- nobody uses it anymore, partially because it's not that effective. Interesting.

Ugh. I was up all night coughing again. And way worse than the night before.. I got up to pee and set off a huge coughing fit- had to lay there breathing really fast and shallow for about 20 minutes to get things calmed down. yuck.

#619 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 01:23 PM

Here are some natural alternatives to address and prevent kidney stones: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/search/node/kidney%20stone

Also, Tylenol impairs glutathione which is the master detoxifier of the liver, use Tylenol with caution.

Homeopathy can help with kidney stones, as can acupuncture.

http://www.urologychannel.com/kidneystones/homeopathy.shtml

http://www.indianetzone.com/24/homeopathy_kidney_stone.htm

http://www.suite101.com/content/homeopathy-for-kidney-stones-a239826

http://www.drhomeo.com/kidney-stones/kidney-stones-and-homeopathy/

Pat

Quote:

I really like Tynenol #3, I have my pain under control with them. I really hope that it doesn''t get worse as I may have to get a stent put in to help relieve the pain until I give birth. Then they may do a laxer operation to get the stone out. :( I feel like thsi pgcy is totally against me this time. I have been sick on and off since July and now this. Really tired of this all. All I want is to be healthy and be able to care for my girls.

I have a blog.
#620 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 01:34 PM

Thanks Pat! I will read those links really carefully. I also have to be careful with what I use as i'm 30wks pg. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Here are some natural alternatives to address and prevent kidney stones: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/search/node/kidney%20stone

Also, Tylenol impairs glutathione which is the master detoxifier of the liver, use Tylenol with caution.

Homeopathy can help with kidney stones, as can acupuncture.

http://www.urologychannel.com/kidneystones/homeopathy.shtml

http://www.indianetzone.com/24/homeopathy_kidney_stone.htm

http://www.suite101.com/content/homeopathy-for-kidney-stones-a239826

http://www.drhomeo.com/kidney-stones/kidney-stones-and-homeopathy/

Pat

Quote:

#621 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 06:16 PM

Re baking soda for alkalinizing, I thought taking baking soda was a hangable offense in terms of having healthy stomach acid levels.

#622 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post

Re baking soda for alkalinizing, I thought taking baking soda was a hangable offense in terms of having healthy stomach acid levels.

I think the difference is with meals vs away from meals. 

On a different, sorta gross note... my younger dog's digestive tract is not terribly happy.  His weird anal gland issue seems to be flaring again and a) I don't have any kimchee made (not sure it would help but it seems like a better balance of bacteria in his gut wouldn't hurt), and b) I don't have any kali mur cell salt which is what I think he needs.  I'm ordering tonight, that and other stuff from that site, but it's just frustrating to be problem-solving someone else. 

Though I think we may be at a stable, happy place with the kids--DD's stomach and head are mostly ok when I feed her right, DS is only a little extra-energetic when we're chelating and extra time at the park would help quite a bit with that, and I am just over a month from done with the heavy pills for me.  And I think each round with the kids is making a good chunk of progress--I'm not seeing changes each time, but the overall trend for them has been good since the summer and I know I've had a lot of rounds where I could only see I was making progress because of my vitC need--I felt fine on-round, it's just that steady, ongoing progress. 

#623 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Arg. I traded the ability to type smilies with the ability to quote properly... it's getting annoying. Maybe I'll switch back.

tsfairy- that is really cool and thoughtful about the fruit basket. It's so nice when people make an effort like that.

lol Tanya- I wish it were something like artichokes too!! But I'm guessing since eggs were + on my last IgG, and I seem to be reacting to all my other positives all of a sudden... greensad.gif But if it's eggs, I'm not paying for NAET anymore, because I'm supposed to be cleared of eggs. (So is DD... but I figured she has more components to clear than I do.)

Quote:
Here's Doris Rapp's thing... "A nonprescription item that can prevent and relieve allergic reactions is baking soda. In the 1940s Dr. Randolph wrote than an alkali preparation of two parts baking soa and one part potassium bicarbonate helped to relieve allergic reactions. It can be taken orally, and in my experience it appears to relieve about 60% of children's food-allergy-related symptoms within 5-15 minutes." She says Alka-Aid (health food stores) is the best one because it has both things in it, but plain baking soda and water works in an emergency. And it should not be used on a regular basis only for emergencies. There's also something called Intal (cromolyn sodium). It's supposed to prevent reactions. Not sure if it works the same way.

Huh. Cromolyn sodium is the prescription (Gastrocrom) that our allergist suggested a while back. He said it's pretty old school- nobody uses it anymore, partially because it's not that effective. Interesting.

When I was in 5th grade, we (mom, sis, me) had IgG allergies tested and came back with a bunch.  The allergist gave us Nalcrom (sodium cromoglycate) to take before eating not-safe food.  I didn't believe in the allergies then, (though my mom said avoiding the positives improved my mood and my sister and I got along better.  I really should listen to my mom more.) and so can't say if it worked or not.  We were supposed to dissolve a capsule in hot water 30min before unsafe foods.  Interesting that it's related to pH balance!

Quote:

Quote:

I think the difference is with meals vs away from meals. 

On a different, sorta gross note... my younger dog's digestive tract is not terribly happy.  His weird anal gland issue seems to be flaring again and a) I don't have any kimchee made (not sure it would help but it seems like a better balance of bacteria in his gut wouldn't hurt), and b) I don't have any kali mur cell salt which is what I think he needs.  I'm ordering tonight, that and other stuff from that site, but it's just frustrating to be problem-solving someone else. 

Though I think we may be at a stable, happy place with the kids--DD's stomach and head are mostly ok when I feed her right, DS is only a little extra-energetic when we're chelating and extra time at the park would help quite a bit with that, and I am just over a month from done with the heavy pills for me.  And I think each round with the kids is making a good chunk of progress--I'm not seeing changes each time, but the overall trend for them has been good since the summer and I know I've had a lot of rounds where I could only see I was making progress because of my vitC need--I felt fine on-round, it's just that steady, ongoing progress. 

Yeah, with meals vs not.

And yay for progress!!

Birthday party was a success.  Dd and her friends had a blast, and the cake came out great.  And now we can cross it off the list and move on with the week of craziness.  Yay!

#624 of 770 Old 12-26-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

A week of craziness?  I am hoping for a quiet week, DH on vacation, a DO visit for me, another for the kids, but nothing else scheduled except a mom's night out/registration night for our co-op (get our money and rosters for the activities we're leading).  And once it was hilarious--we sounded just like those weird homeschoolers who keep their kids away from society's influence, except instead of worrying about the stereotypical stuff like drugs or evolution content in schools (which our group is split on), it was avoiding the vaccination and antibiotics discussion in the local health museum.  I was dying trying not to fall off my chair laughing at us. 

Okay, I am going to grab one of my new books and sit in bed and read.  And eat (boxed) cake.  DH followed my suggestions (I gave him a list) and so I have a huge pile of books to read, I am thrilled. 

#625 of 770 Old 12-27-2010, 07:36 AM

So i've been researching a bit and looked at oxalate diet and the things that I do eat that are high are carrots, celeri, wheat and that's pretty much it. I don't eat lots of the very high ones. I'm a fussy/picky eater/ :shy:

I am pretty sure i know how I caused my kidney stone and I'm sad that it happen but can't change it. I'm drinking as much as I can, hoping that I can pass it myself but being realistic too as it's a pretty big one.(7-8mm)

I'm going back in about 30min for another u/s and see what's going on with it today since sat.

#626 of 770 Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think the difference is with meals vs away from meals

Yeah that!  The catch is taking it at least a couple hours before and after meals is tricky with kids and 'grazing'. Taking it at bedtime, unless you ate within a few hours, would probably be easiest for the alkalizing benefits.

But, I wouldn't take it for "allergies" on an ongoing basis. I found the suggestion about reversing acute food allergy issues with baking soda fascinating though. Seems it must keep the food from being fully digested, perhaps? I had not read/heard of that intervention before. Or perhaps, there is some inflammatory suppressive effect of the altered ph?

Also, caution with dosing baking soda as it is quite powerful and our blood ph needs to be in a very narrow range for health. I do think alkalizing the body has benefits for allergies and food intolerances, though. Eating more fruits and veggies is the natural way to do that.

However, for food intolerances, taking baking soda just after eating a culprit food could impair digestion (due to the antacid effect), which I can't see how that would help ongoing.

Pat

I have a blog.
#627 of 770 Old 12-27-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:

That's probably why Dr. Rapp said it wasn't for all the time, just for emergencies.

Quote:

Is your dog on a raw diet or regular dog food? Have you been to www.dogtorj.com. Really interesting reading. But it's quite possible that your dog has food intolerances too. I thought it was kind of funny that my dog had them too. It's great that you're seeing progress with the chelation and that the end is in sight. I'm waiting until after my next surgery then I'm going to start. All my stuff is just sitting in the linen closet with all the rest of our meds.

Quote:

Also, caution with dosing baking soda as it is quite powerful and our blood ph needs to be in a very narrow range for health. I do think alkalizing the body has benefits for allergies and food intolerances, though. Eating more fruits and veggies is the natural way to do that.

However, for food intolerances, taking baking soda just after eating a culprit food could impair digestion (due to the antacid effect), which I can't see how that would help ongoing.

Pat

I still haven't figured out why it would work. I just remembered reading it. Never tried it though. But it would be nice to have something in the arsenal when someone was reacting and you needed it over quickly.

I made sorghum onion rolls from the Book of Yum blog last night, and they were excellent. We ate a bunch of them last night, and this morning I fried them (cut in half) with palm shortening, and they were good that way too. I only used half the amount of yeast called for because I ran out, and they still rose well and had lots of nooks and crannies like REAL bread. And no egg. So we could all eat them. And they didn't take that long either. I feel like baking again today (blizzards do that to me) but might make soup from Julia Child's book instead. Or maybe both. Who knows.

DS got the lip rash again on the 24th. His last one was November 19 that we couldn't find a cause for. The osteo said to mark it and see if there was a consistent pattern to it, and if it was, it's lyme die-off. So I'm marking them in my calendar. Interesting if it is, since that's also a food intolerance symptom for him. So maybe it is all tied together.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#628 of 770 Old 12-27-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

Quote:

Is your dog on a raw diet or regular dog food? Have you been to www.dogtorj.com. Really interesting reading. But it's quite possible that your dog has food intolerances too. I thought it was kind of funny that my dog had them too. It's great that you're seeing progress with the chelation and that the end is in sight. I'm waiting until after my next surgery then I'm going to start. All my stuff is just sitting in the linen closet with all the rest of our meds.

DS got the lip rash again on the 24th. His last one was November 19 that we couldn't find a cause for. The osteo said to mark it and see if there was a consistent pattern to it, and if it was, it's lyme die-off. So I'm marking them in my calendar. Interesting if it is, since that's also a food intolerance symptom for him. So maybe it is all tied together.

Wish I could break that into 2 separate quotes.  Oh, I should've copied/pasted then cut out different stuff, now I remember.

I switched the dogs to a raw diet maybe 6 months ago?  Well before this started, so I don't think that is the cause, and both dogs had some minor skin stuff clear up so I don't think the kibble was great for them.  I haven't completely decided how I feel on the vitamin D issue--are they like sheep, with vitamin D in the oils of their fur, and they lick to get it?  Read that as a hypothesis but it wasn't cited as solid.  The dogs do seem to want to go outside more often than they used to, so I'm letting them, but mostly because they're old and it makes them happy. 

Either way--the first treatment was a round of antibiotics which helped some, except it left the dog with really stinky gas and the swelling never went completely away, it just fluctuates.  He needs kimchee--not authentic, no, but if he were eating rotted meat, there'd be bacteria, and in his delicate state of lazy domestication, I'm not going to start leaving meat out to rot to get him more authentic bacteria. 

Be interesting to see if the lip rash continues--you said other, typical food reaction stuff wasn't happening at the same time, right?  Weird that we all live in a world where this can be seen as progress.  Do you have some vit/min supps for yourself--good B complex, a multi-mineral, some B12?  IMO you should have that before you start chelating.  It's interesting--lately I can see that I've allowed myself to get a bit marginal and some of the rounds lately are drawing me down and causing problems that I think are really just nutritional.  But you seem in sort of a fragile state with all the worry and the surgery and the meds and all, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to rest and recover.  And then talk to us about how you're going to chelate before jumping in with that product you got from the otherwise wonderful osteo (no bias there, right?  winky.gif). 

#629 of 770 Old 12-27-2010, 10:00 AM

I've caught the cyber-sick. Ugh... I feel awful, congested, headachey, so tired.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#630 of 770 Old 12-27-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:

A week of craziness?  I am hoping for a quiet week, DH on vacation, a DO visit for me, another for the kids, but nothing else scheduled except a mom's night out/registration night for our co-op (get our money and rosters for the activities we're leading).  And once it was hilarious--we sounded just like those weird homeschoolers who keep their kids away from society's influence, except instead of worrying about the stereotypical stuff like drugs or evolution content in schools (which our group is split on), it was avoiding the vaccination and antibiotics discussion in the local health museum.  I was dying trying not to fall off my chair laughing at us. 

Okay, I am going to grab one of my new books and sit in bed and read.  And eat (boxed) cake.  DH followed my suggestions (I gave him a list) and so I have a huge pile of books to read, I am thrilled. 

Yeah, week of craziness.  With my sister in town, there's way too much we want to do, and then we invited my Aunt to visit for a couple days, since we're her only family other than my quickly aging grandma and they're all the way in Houston.  Dh is off, which is awesome, but the extended family isn't in kid mode, as much as they try to be.  And dh doesn't quite get how important it is to really stick with dd's cues when we're trying to do so much.  So we're jam packed until the new year...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think the difference is with meals vs away from meals

Yeah that!  The catch is taking it at least a couple hours before and after meals is tricky with kids and 'grazing'. Taking it at bedtime, unless you ate within a few hours, would probably be easiest for the alkalizing benefits.

But, I wouldn't take it for "allergies" on an ongoing basis. I found the suggestion about reversing acute food allergy issues with baking soda fascinating though. Seems it must keep the food from being fully digested, perhaps? I had not read/heard of that intervention before. Or perhaps, there is some inflammatory suppressive effect of the altered ph?

Pat

Here's what I'm experiencing...  Starting after Thanksgiving (with a soy exposure, and also vit A supplementing), I've been reacting to *something* and it's been steadily getting worse.  I'm worried about identifying new triggers, or trace exposure or who knows what.  PB suggested measuring pH during a reaction (to cell salts), thinking my body was just overcompensating and swinging all over the place.  Anyway, I finally found my pH paper and tested, and my pH is way off.  And baking soda/lemon juice totally improved my mood.  I wasn't expecting it to do that at all.  In that same timespan, I stopped taking my (low dose) cell salts, and my milk/letdown went all wonky, just like before when I *started* at a normal dose.  And now I'm back on the salts and off of vit A (and upped my glutathione) and mood and letdown and milk quality seem to be better, finally.  pH hasn't changed much, but it was off the charts, so maybe it's just sneaking back?  There are a few other things going on that I can't explain (ds spitting up) but cell salts, pH and vitamin A appear to be doing some sort of dance in my body.

What I'm wondering is if pH going off is part of the *mechanism* of a reaction.  As in, whatever trigger causes pH to go acidic, and then that acidity is what causes other symptoms.  For me right now, I'm guessing it's cell salts and vitamin A affecting my mineral balance (blood/bones as opposed to cal/mag, etc) which is affecting my pH, which is making me *feel* like I'm wildly reacting.  Trust me, I'll be watching everything I can for the next few days to try and get a clearer picture!  But it's also more (and clearer) evidence for me that the cell salts are really doing something.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page