Delicious December 2010 Chat - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post

Wow TS, so sorry to hear about that.  It sounds stressful.

And CS, we're in the midst of that crap too.  We have mouse & shrew crap all over our basement.  Totally gross.

Okay, that makes me really curious. How can you tell mouse poo from shrew poo? I don't think I've ever seen shrew poo. Mabe I've never even seen a shrew, since I'm picturing a mole. Though Madagascar comes to mind with all these posts, "If you have any poo, fling it now"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfairy View Post

Again, thanks so much for the words of support. They mean the world. I was in such a better place last night after being able to hash this out here and with a couple of IRL friends who understand. Of course I was still up all night going over the whole scene in my head. I'm upset with myself because I should have taken charge of finding out the menu and helping MIL make it gluten-free. I could have easily brought a bottle of gf soy sauce for her. But I left it up to DH who didn't bother to do anything. Instead, he told me on the way over (on the way to dinner!) that I might have to fix something else for the kids and me. SERIOUSLY DH?  When the SHTF I did overreact, I can definitely see that. But it's difficult to be blindsided like that and stay calm, especially when the one person who should support me (DH) is refusing to do so. 

Oh dear I wrote a book! If you've made it this far, once again thanks everyone for letting me vent. :)

Yeah, I'd have issues with being blindsided. But I always talk to the person beforehand about exactly what's on the menu or bring my own food. I don't want my kids going hungry. I can do just fine. But not them. So I always have something for them at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss_understood View Post

GAH.

Trying to get the floors washed.... AHAHAHAHA. I have  a 3 year old and 18 month old so that's a real fun task.

I may lose my mind. It hasn't been washed in 3 weeks (usually done every week) and it is SO GROSS. Where's the pulling my hair out smiley? This one will have to do: banghead.gif

Oh yes, also... This may come as no big surprise to anyone, but apparently the soft, chewy cat treats have gluten (no surprise there) and CHEESE. Really?! Cheese? Wth?!

Give them some raw meat if you need to give them a treat. Once we went raw, it was so much easier (on the dog and the kids) though DS won't feed the dog because he won't touch the chicken (it's one of his intolerances). But if I'm giving her a different kind of meat, I make him do it so it all evens out. There are oats in almost every kind of wheat-free dog food out there. Plus a lot of other stuff once you start looking.

Quote:

I love having a tree up. I'm such a scrooge about it until it's up and then I don't want to take it down. We got a real tree this year for the first time. DH has objected in the past because of possible allergies but he seems ok so far. Keeping my fingers crossed that we don't have to swap out for our artificial tree before Christmas.

DH was allergic to real trees. And when he finally confessed to the rashes and asthma flare ups, we got a fake tree about 9 years ago. I can't believe he endured it for the first 10 years of our marriage without saying a thing. It may also depend on the kind of pine (though it didn't for us).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post

(((HUGS)))) CS and Theloose.

I have to find a way to get my b/p up. It's crazy low and for other ppl, they would be comatose if they had my reading. Is there anything else than caffeine and salt that will raise a b/p???

How low? Mine is really low. But I alwys thought it was good to have low.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#122 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Yeah- the only things I'm finding that I would order is packaged stuff for Johnny. But most of that I can get way cheaper through Azure (although I guess with a 50% discount it would end up being cheaper... hmmm.)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#123 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So, not sure what's up with me, I was just exhausted today.  Slept 9 hours last night, and still by 10am I was exhausted, and the kids are old enough that I can tell them I need to lie down, so I dozed on the couch for 2 hours this morning.  bigeyes.gif  So I feel like I'm just now starting the day (though the first start wasn't bad, it just didn't last).  

eta: Oh yeah, so I was thinking, wow, I'm glad it's December.  No co-op, no travel this year, and it feels somewhat holiday-ish, but life feels slow.  I need slow (obviously).  And I'm even glad that winter is mild this year--I think we turned on our A/C once in December--if we didn't, I was wishing we could but it just feels so darned wrong.  I haven't turned on our heat yet--I may need to do it soon, it's cold (for us), but not actual winter cold, so that means it's not a huge, massive, ugly shock when we go outside.  Just a solid freeze or two and all the mosquitoes will finally die off and we'll be golden. 

re: low BP, it's most likely adrenal related.  In the short term, more salt, possibly bizarre-ly high amounts--it starts tasting saltier (in a too much way) to me when I've had enough.  Do you feel dizzy and weak and sleepy?  I did when mine got to about 80/50-something or below (my machine apparently doesn't measure lower than that), but that was only a couple days.  I can stay at 90/60 and feel okay, but some people feel bad at the number--so I think everyone has their own number, on the low side, at which they start having symptoms.  Longer-term, doing the things you need to heal so that your adrenals get some rest will help, but that takes longer. 

#124 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

It was 88/58 this morning. I've seen it at more like 90/60. Both are low compared to what it used to be in my other pgcies which were about 110/70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

re: low BP, it's most likely adrenal related.  In the short term, more salt, possibly bizarre-ly high amounts--it starts tasting saltier (in a too much way) to me when I've had enough.  Do you feel dizzy and weak and sleepy?  I did when mine got to about 80/50-something or below (my machine apparently doesn't measure lower than that), but that was only a couple days.  I can stay at 90/60 and feel okay, but some people feel bad at the number--so I think everyone has their own number, on the low side, at which they start having symptoms.  Longer-term, doing the things you need to heal so that your adrenals get some rest will help, but that takes longer. 

That's what I'm starting to link it too. I'm tired and sleepy and have no energy at all. Having a hard time doing my normal stuff at home and doing my daycare. :(

I'm going to go try and read that big adrenal thread on here.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#125 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

It was 88/58 this morning. I've seen it at more like 90/60. Both are low compared to what it used to be in my other pgcies which were about 110/70.

Mine is like 90/60 but mine did go up each time I was pregnant into the range you're talking about, so yeah, I guess that is low. I love salt. And have no qualms using lots of it. What's funny is, DH says I don't put enough salt on things...

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#126 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 12:36 PM

Yeah, that occurred to me as well, CS. (50% discount) I was looking for some specific things that I've been wanting to try too though

baby no type is here

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#127 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

My friend's baby is here!  You don't know her (well, you do tsfairy), I just wanted to share my happiness.  I haven't heard the details yet, she has very fast labors so I'll be interested to hear if the midwife made it in time (did with #1, didn't with #2, but 2 different cities for the older kids).  But yay! 

tsfairy likes this.
#128 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 01:40 PM

privateeyes.gif

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#129 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Congrats to your friend, Tanya!!!

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#130 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 01:46 PM

Kathy,

Since you asked, prepare to be disgusted.  Shrews poop in the same spot all the time.  So the mouse poop was in a long line of "jimmies" as he called them.  All over the sills and stuff.  While the shrew poop was in "mounds" in certain places.  And those were only the places we could see.  I'm sure when they take down the insulation it will be quite disgusting.  But boy, was that estimate totally sobering.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#131 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Considering Kathy's posts today elsewhere, I think the shrew poop description is mild. mischievous.gif

I'm considering doing Christmas baking this year. I'm pondering making a huge batch of flax goop (the one which uses whole flax seeds but then discards the seeds, rather than ground flax) for those things in which I don't want the flax to be apparent (thinking white cakes or something?).

Really want to get a good sugar cookie recipe.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#132 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Considering Kathy's posts today elsewhere, I think the shrew poop description is mild. mischievous.gif

biglaugh.gif No kidding. orngtongue.gif

Um.... did Leigh change her name, or do we have someone new in chat? wink1.gif

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#133 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Definitely not Leigh, unless she also changed her irl name to Jessica. loveeyes.gif

Which reminds me (thank you).

Welcome.gif

and now to actually be productive (I hope).

#134 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWithin View Posttested myself on Mo and 5-htp to see how much I need in one day - pendulum said:  Mo 12 and 5-htp 15 yikes2.gif

Looks like I'm a little worn out nutrient wise.  Don't worry I won't be taking that much 5-htp, doesn't seem safe, and I will be taking 1/2 of the Mo.

Well, girl I hope it helps. I have only ever taken 100 mg/day but I have read a few books recommending much, much more. LIke 200-300mg, 3 x day.

Quote:

I'm considering doing Christmas baking this year. I'm pondering making a huge batch of flax goop (the one which uses whole flax seeds but then discards the seeds, rather than ground flax) for those things in which I don't want the flax to be apparent (thinking white cakes or something?).

Did you see my post about chia seeds? I got white chia seeds from Azure specifically for blending in purposes and I used it in my pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, worked very well, nice and smooth. I grind in my blender and they get much finer than flax.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#135 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post

Did you see my post about chia seeds? I got white chia seeds from Azure specifically for blending in purposes and I used it in my pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, worked very well, nice and smooth. I grind in my blender and they get much finer than flax.

nooo, I missed it! going to look now!

#136 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 03:46 PM

The eyes are contagious!

privateeyes.gif

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#137 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Oh I have one, but it uses eggs, so hopefully the flax seed works.  If you don't see it pop up within the next two days - remind me.

The cookies cut out really nicely and taste normal

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#138 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Quote:

LOL about JR's comment and CS's

#139 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWithin View Posttested myself on Mo and 5-htp to see how much I need in one day - pendulum said:  Mo 12 and 5-htp 15 yikes2.gif

Looks like I'm a little worn out nutrient wise.  Don't worry I won't be taking that much 5-htp, doesn't seem safe, and I will be taking 1/2 of the Mo.

Well, girl I hope it helps. I have only ever taken 100 mg/day but I have read a few books recommending much, much more. LIke 200-300mg, 3 x day.

Quote:

I think I took 6 today and I am smiling.  I even laughed with the boys.  I noticed an up and down feeling though, so I need to spread them out more than I did today.

#140 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWithin View Post

I think I took 6 today and I am smiling.  I even laughed with the boys.  I noticed an up and down feeling though, so I need to spread them out more than I did today.

joy.gif

is it the Mo or the 5htp?

welcome, Mimi :)

I'm attempting a loaf of bread.  fingersx.gif And ignoring the evidence pointing towards a potato reaction.  Stupid reactions.  This is a bad idea, isn't it?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#141 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

My friend's baby is here!  You don't know her (well, you do tsfairy), I just wanted to share my happiness.  I haven't heard the details yet, she has very fast labors so I'll be interested to hear if the midwife made it in time (did with #1, didn't with #2, but 2 different cities for the older kids).  But yay! 

What's with the precipitous labors around here lately? She's the 3rd local mama I know that's had a really fast labor in the past month. All three planned HB, both of the first 2 wound up UC. Crazy!  I'm so happy for her though! I told DS and he was excited to hear that his friends have a new baby sister. :)

I mustered up the energy to take the kids to the mall today to blow off some steam. I was exhausted by the end. Something tells me I'm not getting enough sleep, and I know I'm totally slacking on nutritional support. 

I'm intrigued by the chia seeds. Was your post in this thread or elsewhere? 

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#142 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

At least she knew that was likely the way it'd go, her previous two were the same.  But I didn't realize there was a local rash of them.  I wonder what causes it? 

#143 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:

If it wasn't clear, I was referring to 5-htp.

Quote:

I'm intrigued by the chia seeds. Was your post in this thread or elsewhere? 

Thanksgiving thread. You can use chia seeds as an egg replacer like flax goop but you have to use like half as much chia as flax. I haven't used it for doughy type things, but it sure works well for fillings & pudding type of stuff.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#144 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theloose View Post

Quote:

joy.gif

is it the Mo or the 5htp?

welcome, Mimi :)

I'm attempting a loaf of bread.  fingersx.gif And ignoring the evidence pointing towards a potato reaction.  Stupid reactions.  This is a bad idea, isn't it?

fingersx.gif for the bread

I was craving sweets, so I ate a granola bar and some (commercial) vanilla yogourt.. and found them to be too sweet. Then I went and chowed down on leftover acorn squash from last night. Ah. Just right.

All I did today was sort the laundry (and of course deal with the LOs).

#145 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 PM

There have been some fast labors around here, too. Not me eyesroll.gif My midwife was saying how the difference in length and painfulness of labors before and after the dot com bubble burst (remember I'm in Silicon Valley) was striking. She credited the difference in stress levels.

Bread turned out pretty good. I want to see what it does when it cools, and I wish I had a smaller loaf pan to bake it in so it can rise a bit more. I tried some even though I'm pretty sure that was a bad idea. redface.gif I did remember to do some clay at the same time, though. I'm sick of reactions, is all I can say. But I'm sick of them to the point of not caring.

Since getting the tummy bug before thanksgiving, I've been blasting myself with vit A. The carlsons capsules from fish oil. There are a thousand other relevant variables too, but I swear my face is looking a bit different (less thyroid puffiness), and dd's ankles aren't turning in so much! Also, I'm getting GI reactions mostly now and I haven't been eating quite so much. I feel like the eating part is out of laziness and not wanting to prepare the food, but I bet there's a bit more to it than that. I wonder if it's the A, the gut reset, the b12, the glutathione, the drainage remedy, my imagination, or what. It *feels* like progress, even if it doesn't quite look it.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#146 of 770 Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 PM

Speaking of bread...

DS2's baking stuff came today. His mini loaf pan is TINY, about half what I expected it to be (incredibly cute) and the bowl is a little tiny prep bowl, which somewhat annoys me but you can't win them all right?

Going to bed.

#147 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post

Kathy,

Since you asked, prepare to be disgusted.  Shrews poop in the same spot all the time.  So the mouse poop was in a long line of "jimmies" as he called them.  All over the sills and stuff.  While the shrew poop was in "mounds" in certain places.  And those were only the places we could see.  I'm sure when they take down the insulation it will be quite disgusting.  But boy, was that estimate totally sobering.

I know the difference in mouse and chipmunk poop by size, up at the cottage, when cleaning the kitchen each spring. But I guess I've never encountered shrews.

Quote:

We had good sugar cookies the other day. I just did balls. Didn't experiment with rolling out. They probably would have needed more moisture for that. No flax, and no eggs in it. It was a recipe I got off here, probably in the recipe thread (which was may more convenient as its own link, rather than buried in resources). Jacqueline - you thought my cadaver skin comments were grosser than shrew poop? Really? Last night DH was like "oh, it looks much better. You can barely see the other stuff now". Yeah. It's a big hole. And my dad's girlfriend (yes, the one who buys my kids corn-filled bath soap and other inappropriate stuff, and who used to be a nurse but always seems clueless about medical stuff) said, oh that can't be cadaver skin. It's just your fatty tissue. Everyone has it. So then I had to explain to her that the point of a mastectomy is to take out all the tissue -- all the way up to the collarbone, and all the way down the ribcage, scraped all out. Everything they can find. What was left was my pectoral muscle which they cover up with the Alloderm (sanitized cadaver skin, in case anyone missed the FB discussion yesterday) to help hold the expander in place and then my skin on top of it. So he said that the Alloderm should hold, and so far it has, but I can still see it. And I am thinking of naming it. We keep referring them to the boobs formerly known as Prince, but then I'd have to think up some symbol to be what they are now, and that's too difficult. And to further the family along in the health dept, DH has a cyst in his testicle (he said I couldn't write about it on FB, he didn't say not on MDC - hee hee). I told him I didn't care how much it hurt, I still trumped him with a hole in my boob. So he's supposed to be on ibuprofin and ice and go back in two weeks. DS pulled some muscle in his leg (but the doctor is a flake, and I think it sounds more like shin splints), and DD1 got a new bracket on her braces so she wants soft foods for the next few days. DD2 is the only one doing really well (nothing broken, no food reactions, no lyme die-off). Knock on wood.

Quote:

Speaking of bread...

DS2's baking stuff came today. His mini loaf pan is TINY, about half what I expected it to be (incredibly cute) and the bowl is a little tiny prep bowl, which somewhat annoys me but you can't win them all right?

Going to bed.

Tupperware used to make a really cute baking set (I actually use the little one cup measure because it's the miniature of my batter bowl that I like of theirs) but it's probably the bad kind of plastic isn't it? Besides, after you see if they like them, then you can get bigger sizes if you need to.

#148 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 AM

Well, that settles it.  The poop that kept appearing in my car was mouse poop.  That was my original guess.

It all happened when DS fell asleep in the car.  I unbuckled him, left the door open, and went in the house.  A while later he woke up and came in the house.  I went out and closed the door.  I must have trapped a mouse inside.  For the next few days, I kept finding mouse poop on the floor, seats, even dashboard.  I vacuumed again and again.  I knew he couldn't live long in there without water in the summer heat.  So there is probably a raisin-like mouse corpses somewhere under the floor of the car.  

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#149 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post

Well, that settles it.  The poop that kept appearing in my car was mouse poop.  That was my original guess.

It all happened when DS fell asleep in the car.  I unbuckled him, left the door open, and went in the house.  A while later he woke up and came in the house.  I went out and closed the door.  I must have trapped a mouse inside.  For the next few days, I kept finding mouse poop on the floor, seats, even dashboard.  I vacuumed again and again.  I knew he couldn't live long in there without water in the summer heat.  So there is probably a raisin-like mouse corpses somewhere under the floor of the car.  

ewwwww. there's probably a way out. DH always finds a mousenest in the engine compartment of his truck in the spring because he doesn't use it much in the winter. Sometimes I've opened up the grill in the spring to find a mousenest inside. And last summer, I opened one of DD1's clothes drawers at the lake, and there was a mama mouse and  3 babies in there (and a lot of chewed up clothes).

#150 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 AM

we had a mouse probl in one of the houses that my parents and I lived in. Eeek it lived in the tile ceilings and would run across the ceiling at night and wake me up. My bedroom was downstairs. We used mouse trap for them. How I do not miss them at all. lol

If you had adrenal fatigue(which is what i am thinking is hitting me fast), would you still be working? Or just stay home and care for the kids and house(which is work too but different then getting paid)? I'm 27ish wks pg, have 3 dds and need to care for the house too. Plus my daycare kids.   I'm in a dilenma of what to do with my daycare. I am so tired and have no energy to give the best service to my daycare families but at the same time, I would miss them. You get rather attatch to the kids when they are here for a while. :( The after school kids aren't too bad as they aren't here for long. Give them a snack and time to play and they are fine. Having a f/t kid, you need to keep them busy with activities at least most of the morning and let them still have some free play.

TIA

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page