Delicious December 2010 Chat - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

But Chlobo's DH has celiac, doesn't he?  I assumed SIL was DH's sister... our language is not that precise with family relationships, not sure if I could be wrong.  If it is someone related by blood to DH, then I'd say cut gluten, get a few good supps going and then see how she's doing in a bit--some things should resolve.  Well, in normal people.  :hug

DH hasn't been officially diagnosed because he went off gluten before getting tested.  However, he does have 2 celiac genes so we're guessing based on symptoms.  His sister has one celiac gene & one gluten sensitivity.

However, her test results sort of sound thyroidish to me.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#182 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post

Quote:

But Chlobo's DH has celiac, doesn't he?  I assumed SIL was DH's sister... our language is not that precise with family relationships, not sure if I could be wrong.  If it is someone related by blood to DH, then I'd say cut gluten, get a few good supps going and then see how she's doing in a bit--some things should resolve.  Well, in normal people.  :hug

DH hasn't been officially diagnosed because he went off gluten before getting tested.  However, he does have 2 celiac genes so we're guessing based on symptoms.  His sister has one celiac gene & one gluten sensitivity.

Um.
 Test results?

You know that Hashi's is one of the other autoimmune diseases which you have a higher chance of getting if anyone in your family has CD? Has she had her thyroid antibodies tested?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#183 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 06:24 PM

Hello all,

I know I keep disappearing and coming back to the chat thread, but I am back again!  We've just had a crazy busy year.  We've been plugging along, still doing SCD, and things are much better.  I am still uncovering things though, and there is definitely more work to be done.  Just so many things to figure out.  I feel like we kind of just have been at a plateau for a long time.

cs, what is the 23andMe kit you did?

#184 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 PM

momofmine- www.23andme.com

And speaking of.... arg. The post office hasn't updated the tracking number since the day after I mailed it (a week ago), and the 23andMe website still says "sample not received yet". greensad.gif It better not be lost in the mail, with all the work it took to collect that spit!! orngtongue.gif

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#185 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss_understood View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Um.
 Test results?

You know that Hashi's is one of the other autoimmune diseases which you have a higher chance of getting if anyone in your family has CD? Has she had her thyroid antibodies tested?

Oh sorry, I misspoke.  I meant to say her symptoms sound thyroidish to me.  Especially the hair loss.

These are the first tests (other than the celiac gene test) that she's had done.  So no full thyroid and no antibody test.  Her mother is suspected of having rheumatoid arthritis, although I just learned that technically she was not "diagnosed" with it b/c she didn't test positive for it.  I assume whatever they test for with rheumatoid arthritis it was not positive when they tested.  However, all her symptoms point to rheumatoid arthritis.  So clearly there is an "autoimmune bent" in the family.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#186 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

grouphug.gif JR

Chlobo, I meant that celiac can cause/exacerbate the nutrient deficiencies involved in poor thyroid function.  So I'd fix that part first and the see if the thyroid symptoms are still strong--honestly, the two seem to go together so much that I'd think both and it's just a matter of how bad the thyroid issue is as to whether it can be managed w/o thyroid supps (Rx ones, I mean). 

Momofmine--there's only one choice at 23andme.com now, and you'll get gene info and ancestry stuff--I'm sort of looking forward to that, I don't know how much of the word of mouth stuff that's been passed down is accurate, and DH has stories of non-Spanish, non-Native American people in his lineage, be interesting to see if any of that shows up. 

I had my first visit with our DO, I guess my body's not falling apart as badly as I'd feared, at least it seems so far.  But interesting factoid--my BP was 120/80 (temp 97.7), I think it's stress due to the fairly high dose of ALA.  I haven't seen BP that high since I was pregnant with DS, and I've never had white coat hypertension, and definitely not with her.  I'm relieved my body _can_ make my BP go that high. 

CS--sometimes it seems like tracking packages is really, really slow, I should check on ours, but with the holidays, I'm betting packages are actually moving but the software (which always seems iffy to me) is just, well, not performing.  :fingersx that it's just that.  I haven't tried again with DS, I should but the histamine thing that Shannon mentioned sorta makes sense--kid's getting a ton and a half of methyl donors, his methylation's chugging along faster than ever before.  If I'm not exhausted tomorrow, I'll try, see if he still can't make hardly a bit of spit. 

#187 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 07:44 PM

grouphug.gif all around. Sorry everything is falling apart for everyone. Boo. :( 

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#188 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theloose View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWithin View Post

Baby girl is getting cradle cap on her forehead.  The vain part of me is bummed and the mama who has worked hard is bummed.  That said, I know what I need to do to fix it.  Biotin for a quick fix, but clearly her gut needs more appropriate bugs.  I'm working harder on getting the infant probiotics that Jane recs into her.  And then good stuff into me.

Stupid second quote hiding... 

I saw those early days of discovering all ds's reactions and symptoms and whatnot as sort of a treasure hunt to show me the weak spots.  I figure there was no way I'd be able to figure it all out in advance, but it was so much easier to figure out with him than with dd, for so many reasons.  I turned it into more of a game and got excited each time I found a piece to click and make things better.  He got cradle cap all over his eyes/forehead too, and the vain part of me was very bummed as well.  Now he still has residual baby acne at 8mo.  I feel total responsibility and that it reflects me and my health, but the rest of the world just sees it as part of him and not my fault at all.  I can't wrap my head around that.

So does cradle cap = needs biotin?  My younger DS has this in a major way.  I know we still have gut issues too.  He also has a peanut allergy and tended to get rashes when he got a virus when he was a toddler.  I have taken this to mean that maybe his system is sort of over-reactive.  He also right now has the chicken skin bumps on his arms AND legs.  What does that mean?

How much biotin should one start with?  He's about 45 pounds.

#189 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 08:35 PM

Wow, you guys have been hard at work, as usual!  That wiki page is amazing!!  So, are the 23andme and the Yasko tests similar?  I guess I am asking, does doing both help to tell you more of the picture, or are they testing all the same things?  Is one better than the other?

#190 of 770 Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 PM

I'm jumping for joy here - I got some mag into DS! It seems ridiculous, but he's been so resistant to taking anything that I'm just so happy to get something into him. Of course it was at midnight because he was up instead of sleeping, but hey I'll take my small victories. ;)

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#191 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

And to further the family along in the health dept, DH has a cyst in his testicle (he said I couldn't write about it on FB, he didn't say not on MDC - hee hee). I told him I didn't care how much it hurt, I still trumped him with a hole in my boob. So he's supposed to be on ibuprofin and ice and go back in two weeks.

OK. THAT - the bolded part - made me laugh out loud. thank you. And you need to cut your DH down to half an advil a day, because you don't want him addicted to pain killers. Give him a bit of rope to bite on. I say that sort of in jest.

Quote:

The hole is like the size of a pea. It's not like a gaping humongous wound. Okay 2 peas next to each other.

Much better than the quarter-sized hole I had been imagining.

I can't figure out how to break up a quote like you used to be able to do, without embedding, since then you can't reallly quote it... his ibuprofin is to decrease inflammation. He's using the bag of frozen peas for ice. And he's not getting any sympathy from me at the moment. Any other time, he probably would have. But at this juncture, not an ounce. If I had a quarter size hole then at least my scar would have a nipple look... though not really in the right place. What if I call one Frank and the other Boob and I can have Frankenboob. To give you a visual, each scar goes straight across 4" on each boob and the scar is about 1/4" wide. But you can see bump outs at the corners of all the expanders and you can see a bump at the top where the port type thing is, so I'm just a mass of lines, bumps, lumps, and holes. Okay, you probably didn't want that visual. At least my pathology report was clear, though I still need to call the doctor to get a copy of it for my file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post

LOL Susan!  I totally agree about Kathy's DH.

A few years ago, we went to my parents' summer house, and our cat was very interested in the barbecue grill.  We opened it and there was a nest full of baby squirrels.  The mother relocated them over the course of the next 2 hours.  

I'm not afraid of mice.  Or snakes.  The only thing that really gets me is roaches.

I've never seen a roach. I'm not fond of snakes, unless they're behind glass at the zoo. Nah, even then I don't really like them. I like Snow White's animals - rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, bluebirds.

Quote:

I hate drama yet it always seems to find me.*sigh*

I swear you just always draw the bad luck card. Your situation totally reminds me of my brother growing up. The entire football team ended up targetting our house every mischief night with eggs. And when confronted, the parents would always say either "they're just kids" or "my son was at church" (outright lie). It was so aggravating.

Quote:

Quote:

I still think it could be both, and since being off gluten can help thyroid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfairy View Post

I'm jumping for joy here - I got some mag into DS! It seems ridiculous, but he's been so resistant to taking anything that I'm just so happy to get something into him. Of course it was at midnight because he was up instead of sleeping, but hey I'll take my small victories. ;)

Woo hoo!!

Okay, so MIL has said so far for Christmas she's making ham and scalloped potatoes. I'm bringing baked butternut squash and steamed broccoli to share. I have a safe ham in the freezer that I can make for DD2, DS, and me. What else can I make (either to share with the whole family (about 20 people I think)? On holidays I ease up on the rotation so that DS can have two of them on the same day, so I could do something with apples (maybe apple crisp for dessert)? or something different with rice? What's funny is DH and DD1 can't stand scalloped potatoes so they want  me to make something that THEY like for a change. Hah!! DH is making his family's traditional apricot coffeecake and bringing it. I tried to make an allergy-free version a couple years ago and it didn't work and I don't feel like it again. But I want something special. And I want my plate to be just as full as everyone else's. Is that too much to ask?

Also, I'm thinking of trying DD2 on gluten or soy - which should I do? soy isn't that great for you anyway but it would make life easier on the whole with ingredient lists. But gluten takes longer to get out of your system. DH says it should be a blind test so she doesn't know she's getting anything different. I say just in case she reacts, it should be something really good so that she gets a treat. On her ALCAT test (2.5 years ago) she tested mild for gluten and wheat and barley (which she'd been eating up to that point) and mild for soy (she hadn't had that for 2 years previous to testing). I'm taking a vote.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#192 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 06:19 AM

I'm not sure that biotin would explain our cradle cap issue.  It strikes DS exactly once every summer.  It comes all at once.  If I scrape it all off, that is the end of it for another year.  This year I decided to leave it (since his hair is now thick enough to hide it) and see what happened.  Over time, as his skin layers shed, it disappeared.  

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#193 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post

Wow, you guys have been hard at work, as usual!  That wiki page is amazing!!  So, are the 23andme and the Yasko tests similar?  I guess I am asking, does doing both help to tell you more of the picture, or are they testing all the same things?  Is one better than the other?

I'm doing the 23andme because it's a lot cheaper and it'll tell most of the Yasko stuff, should be enough for me, plus other stuff that someday, somehow may be interesting/useful.  There's a big price difference right now with the sale at 23andme.

Quote:

Yay!

Do they not like the drinks/whatever you've come up with, or are they resistant to the idea of pills/supplements altogether?  Cause seriously, buying tiny pills and teaching them to swallow them (Deb's idea of covering them with maple syrup to get them to go down) will really make your life easier.  Dang, I forgot to order the pill encapsulator thing, must do it today!

Quote:

Okay, so MIL has said so far for Christmas she's making ham and scalloped potatoes. I'm bringing baked butternut squash and steamed broccoli to share. I have a safe ham in the freezer that I can make for DD2, DS, and me. What else can I make (either to share with the whole family (about 20 people I think)? On holidays I ease up on the rotation so that DS can have two of them on the same day, so I could do something with apples (maybe apple crisp for dessert)? or something different with rice? What's funny is DH and DD1 can't stand scalloped potatoes so they want  me to make something that THEY like for a change. Hah!! DH is making his family's traditional apricot coffeecake and bringing it. I tried to make an allergy-free version a couple years ago and it didn't work and I don't feel like it again. But I want something special. And I want my plate to be just as full as everyone else's. Is that too much to ask?

Also, I'm thinking of trying DD2 on gluten or soy - which should I do? soy isn't that great for you anyway but it would make life easier on the whole with ingredient lists. But gluten takes longer to get out of your system. DH says it should be a blind test so she doesn't know she's getting anything different. I say just in case she reacts, it should be something really good so that she gets a treat. On her ALCAT test (2.5 years ago) she tested mild for gluten and wheat and barley (which she'd been eating up to that point) and mild for soy (she hadn't had that for 2 years previous to testing). I'm taking a vote.

Soy.  Honestly, I'd be worried that even if gluten _seemed_ to pass, it would cause low-level, increasing damage in a way other food allergens don't.  At the moment, I'm doubtful we'll ever get gluten back.  Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm just too pessimistic, but right now, gluten is the devil.  Albeit a yummy, yummy devil.

Well, one last day of tiredness for me (I hope).  I am incredibly relieved that the kids both seem fine with 5 days in a row of ALA.  I wasn't sure that would work, but the shorter, more frequent rounds weren't working so well, so I figured longer rounds with longer breaks.  DD is putting her fingers in her mouth for a couple days now but I think it'll stop in a few more days.  I think this could be sustainable (which has been the trickiest thing for us, getting into a routine we can keep going w/o digestive issues or something else getting in the way).

#194 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 07:59 AM

:eyes

#195 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

Soy.  Honestly, I'd be worried that even if gluten _seemed_ to pass, it would cause low-level, increasing damage in a way other food allergens don't.  At the moment, I'm doubtful we'll ever get gluten back.  Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm just too pessimistic, but right now, gluten is the devil.  Albeit a yummy, yummy devil. 

I still haven't done my metals chelating. I have all the bottles sitting in my linen closet with the sheet on how to do it. Maybe in the spring. Ugh.

Soy seems to me evil in so many ways too. It would make my life easier to (a) get DS okay with chicken or DD2 okay with beef or (b) one of the top 4 back for each of us, and of course, it would be nice if it was the same one for all of us (and I know that corn is the most likely for DS to get back and the least likely for DD2 to get back, so what are the odds of that happening?).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#196 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 AM

Soy. It's easier to get out of the system if there IS a reaction. And it's hidden in freakin' everything (not that you do a lot/any processed foods).

Second on the apple crisp to share. It's super-easy to make, and to make allergy-free. Also doubles as breakfast if there are leftovers.

Tell DH that fish oil works just as well as an anti-inflammatory. He's allow the frozen peas, though.

Agreed that ROACHES are the things I cannot handle. DH had them in a basement apartment in DC. Ugh!! And I had them in a 3rd floor apt outside Sydney, Australia. (took several months for them to eventually reach the 3rd floor. My friends on lower floors got them first.) And, don't get me started on my SIL in Atlanta and the roaches. You just can't avoid them in the south, I think, unless you do extermination. I mean, they eat PAPER BAGS and other non-food-to-humans.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#197 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:

I can't figure out how to break up a quote like you used to be able to do, without embedding, since then you can't reallly quote it... his ibuprofin is to decrease inflammation. He's using the bag of frozen peas for ice. And he's not getting any sympathy from me at the moment. Any other time, he probably would have. But at this juncture, not an ounce. If I had a quarter size hole then at least my scar would have a nipple look... though not really in the right place. What if I call one Frank and the other Boob and I can have Frankenboob. To give you a visual, each scar goes straight across 4" on each boob and the scar is about 1/4" wide. But you can see bump outs at the corners of all the expanders and you can see a bump at the top where the port type thing is, so I'm just a mass of lines, bumps, lumps, and holes. Okay, you probably didn't want that visual. At least my pathology report was clear, though I still need to call the doctor to get a copy of it for my file.

I've never seen a roach. I'm not fond of snakes, unless they're behind glass at the zoo. Nah, even then I don't really like them. I like Snow White's animals - rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, bluebirds.

Quote:

I hate drama yet it always seems to find me.*sigh*

I swear you just always draw the bad luck card. Your situation totally reminds me of my brother growing up. The entire football team ended up targetting our house every mischief night with eggs. And when confronted, the parents would always say either "they're just kids" or "my son was at church" (outright lie). It was so aggravating.

Quote:

I still think it could be both, and since being off gluten can help thyroid....

Quote:

Woo hoo!!

I hate huge quotes so please excuse my snipping earlier quotes out.

You honestly have the best sense of humour however, I think you should go with something a little more positive than Frankenboob. What we name things does effect how we think of them. Words have power, often more power than we give them credit. I've seen the pictures the professional photographer took of breast cancer survivors, I can't remember the name of the project right now (The SCAR Project)... But I think I have some idea of what your scars look like although I'm not sure I have a full idea of what it looks this early in the game.

She came to the bus stop this morning and DS1 came home. She was apparently cussing at the other kids about my son being a liar.

It could definitely be both gluten and thyroid. It could also be gluten-related thyroid problems.

I vote soy for the same reasons as tanya

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#198 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

First roach I ever saw was a tree roach.  They're about as long as your finger (middle or index, not bitty pinky fingers) and they fly.  sick.gif  (I've never used that smiley before, I sorta like it, and I know a lot of people are not thrilled with the throwing up smiley).

Yeah, I was not impressed, and it was late at night, my first semester at college, only one desk lamp was on... I just heard the sound first, this fluttering, flying thing bouncing around in the dark. 

Kathy--I agree soy is evil, but I guess I'm more concerned about consuming large amounts of it.  If you don't eat a lot of processed foods, and you don't intentionally consume stuff like soy milk and tofu, then I think, for most people, the incidental soy in the infrequent convenience foods won't matter.  But the convenience--ah, that's lovely.  And honestly, once you start really making progress on the kids' lyme, I'd expect you to start getting stuff back nicely.  What type of timeline, and maybe changes in supps? have you talked about with your HCP for the kids?  (And I totally agree you shouldn't think about metals til you feel totally, completely healed and bounced backed from your surgery and all the drug reactions and stuff you've suffered through).

#199 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:

I hate huge quotes so please excuse my snipping earlier quotes out.

You honestly have the best sense of humour however, I think you should go with something a little more positive than Frankenboob. What we name things does effect how we think of them. Words have power, often more power than we give them credit. I've seen the pictures the professional photographer took of breast cancer survivors, I can't remember the name of the project right now (The SCAR Project)... But I think I have some idea of what your scars look like although I'm not sure I have a full idea of what it looks this early in the game.

She came to the bus stop this morning and DS1 came home. She was apparently cussing at the other kids about my son being a liar.

It could definitely be both gluten and thyroid. It could also be gluten-related thyroid problems.

I vote soy for the same reasons as tanya

I was calling them Fred and George because of my brother's cadaver jokes, but I don't think they should have manly names... I'm taking suggestions. They look pretty scary right now. I have access to a photo discussion blog that's all mastectomies/reconstruction at every stage so at least I was prepared, and I know it gets better, but still.

Well, at least we know this kid comes by his bullying genetically (or is that one environmental?). Maybe a little bit of both in that case. I wish you could get your drivers license. Bullying is the reason that my mother drove us to school for my entire high school career. No that it should be happening at all, but it definitely shouldn't be happening that young. Do your buses have cameras on them? Our district does. And they can review them whenever there is a complaint (though I don't know if the kid actually behaves himself on the bus). But if it continues on the bus and there's a camera, then there's some proof at least. That came up last year with one of my friends IRL. Or can you request a bus monitor? Some districts do that as well. Can you talk to his teacher? Or the principal?

#200 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:

First roach I ever saw was a tree roach.  They're about as long as your finger (middle or index, not bitty pinky fingers) and they fly.  sick.gif  (I've never used that smiley before, I sorta like it, and I know a lot of people are not thrilled with the throwing up smiley).

Yeah, I was not impressed, and it was late at night, my first semester at college, only one desk lamp was on... I just heard the sound first, this fluttering, flying thing bouncing around in the dark. 

Kathy--I agree soy is evil, but I guess I'm more concerned about consuming large amounts of it.  If you don't eat a lot of processed foods, and you don't intentionally consume stuff like soy milk and tofu, then I think, for most people, the incidental soy in the infrequent convenience foods won't matter.  But the convenience--ah, that's lovely.  And honestly, once you start really making progress on the kids' lyme, I'd expect you to start getting stuff back nicely.  What type of timeline, and maybe changes in supps? have you talked about with your HCP for the kids?  (And I totally agree you shouldn't think about metals til you feel totally, completely healed and bounced backed from your surgery and all the drug reactions and stuff you've suffered through).

blech. roaches fly?

convenience is what I'm thinking, and soy sauce on fried rice would be nice, though the coconut aminos is working. And soy gave me IBS symptoms so it's not like I'd be going back to it. I'm hoping for corn back one of these days. I just want chips and salsa! And corn would be nice because of the xanthan gum used everywhere.

DD2 seems to be coming along well with the lyme. She really is down to less than 10 foods that she's avoiding I think (dairy, soy, corn,  gluten, beef, quinoa). And I have the quinoa just haven't made anything with it yet. Though actually I could just let her have a bite of my quinoa salad tonight and see what happens. It's the stuff they sell at Whole Foods - went in for shortening last night because I was out but I was starving so I got the quinoa salad too. And sourdough wondering if I should try her on it (DD1 has already eaten almost the whole loaf, so it'll be moot by the time I decide). So 6 foods - that's not that bad. She's doing an herbal remedy for her lyme.

DS is having more die-off reactions so I'm having a harder time getting foods back for him. Though just getting turkey back for him seemed huge to me. In the last year he's gotten back turkey, apple, green beans, carrots, rice, lemon. Seems like a lot to me (though probably not to a lot of people). Add to that he's a picky 10yo though and it's still a pain in the butt.

I'm just achey and so unmotivated today. And I'm aggravated at Jacq's neighbor.

#201 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 AM

No need to break quotes up now, cause we can reply in-quote and it's still quotable. Just a lot of deleting of old stuff. Quoting on iPhone/ipad is a pain though.

I'd trial trace soy and consider it a different food from big soy. Kind of like trace corn is different from big corn. I think gluten and soy are going to be the last things for me to trial. My body does NOT like soy! Definitely getting dairy and corn back first.

Before I forget, anyone else like the idea of turning the supps thread into a nicely organized wiki? With a table or something and an entry for each vitamin, the preferred form(s) (and why), ballpark dosage, if it goes through milk, interactions with other nutrients, favorite brands, basic function, etc. I wonder if deficiency/toxicity symptoms would be useful there, or if that would make it way too huge and overwhelming and eventually filling in pages for each individual nutrient would be better? This would be like the cliffs notes version?
menomena likes this.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#202 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theloose View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWithin View Post

Baby girl is getting cradle cap on her forehead.  The vain part of me is bummed and the mama who has worked hard is bummed.  That said, I know what I need to do to fix it.  Biotin for a quick fix, but clearly her gut needs more appropriate bugs.  I'm working harder on getting the infant probiotics that Jane recs into her.  And then good stuff into me.

Stupid second quote hiding... 

I saw those early days of discovering all ds's reactions and symptoms and whatnot as sort of a treasure hunt to show me the weak spots.  I figure there was no way I'd be able to figure it all out in advance, but it was so much easier to figure out with him than with dd, for so many reasons.  I turned it into more of a game and got excited each time I found a piece to click and make things better.  He got cradle cap all over his eyes/forehead too, and the vain part of me was very bummed as well.  Now he still has residual baby acne at 8mo.  I feel total responsibility and that it reflects me and my health, but the rest of the world just sees it as part of him and not my fault at all.  I can't wrap my head around that.

So does cradle cap = needs biotin?  My younger DS has this in a major way.  I know we still have gut issues too.  He also has a peanut allergy and tended to get rashes when he got a virus when he was a toddler.  I have taken this to mean that maybe his system is sort of over-reactive.  He also right now has the chicken skin bumps on his arms AND legs.  What does that mean?

How much biotin should one start with?  He's about 45 pounds.

For ds, cradle cap seems to mean corn, and maybe soy.  For dd, it's near-constant, even with me on high biotin.  The only time it went away was when milk came back with ds, so she was getting nutrients again, and before she started eating corn all the time.  It seemed to come back with the corn.  Actually what's interesting right now is that her ear crusties are just about the best they've ever been (like post-milk, pre-corn) and the difference right now is high dose vit A (me) and a total gut reset (complete with mood improvement) after the stomach flu (both of us).  She's still nursing.  So I'm seeing dysbiosis causing increased need for biotin, and biotin is more of a band aid.

Quote:

Check the end of the guess your genetics thread for a comparison I posted.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#203 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 AM

:eyes

#204 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 10:30 AM

Gluten would make life easier all around, IMO....even if she tested it and passed in such a way that you only let her have it sometimes...like going out to eat, at friends' houses, etc.

Soy....I'd be happy just to have trace soy tolerance, even is soy sauce itself was out.  Having soy mostly makes food away from home easier, but having gluten makes both easier...IMHO. 

Obviously I've been giving DD2 gluten again vs soy....lol.  I havne't noticed anything different with her having some wheat.  If anything, it seems to be making her bm's even better than removing sals did.  I'm still making gf food, but I'm not fretting about some yummy crusty bread or her eating some of DS's crackers.  I wanted some chocolate other than Enjoy Life though, so I made some cookies with ghiradelli chips...and I think it's passing fine.  It's only soy lecithin, which I realize is fine for most people but I was scared to try even that given her reaction to straight soy (crazy anger).  I'm happy with trace soy being ok, we don't really eat it anyway.  Need to try both kids on soy sauce though, or at least DS, bc he wants sushi again!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#205 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yay!

Do they not like the drinks/whatever you've come up with, or are they resistant to the idea of pills/supplements altogether?  Cause seriously, buying tiny pills and teaching them to swallow them (Deb's idea of covering them with maple syrup to get them to go down) will really make your life easier.  Dang, I forgot to order the pill encapsulator thing, must do it today!

DS2 won't take anything. He hates the taste of the mag no matter what I put it in, and he can't/won't swallow pills. I do get some melatnonin into his drink most evenings because he really fights sleep lately. This was DS1, and he was doing ok with me adding stuff to his drinks for a while, but then decided he just hated it all. I even had him swallowing up to a half pill of melatonin on his own (so .5mg) so I got excited and bought some teensy 400iu vit D gelcaps, which he refused to even try to swallow. I really need to get some high dose D drops.

Oh I take it back, they'll both happily take cell salts. :)

Ooh maple syrup might work! Never thought of that. That will be quite a treat for them too. 

#206 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 AM

I don't know if this is an allergy thing, per se, but it may be nutritional/supplemental.

DS was in a whiny phase for the past week or 2, and had meltdowns whenever he was told "no." (no matter how nicely it was put, or how re-directing we attempted to be)  I thought maybe it was because we were coming off a week of family visiting, where we had less of a schedule, and he had lots of 1-on-1 with my sister (who is FABULOUS with him - she mainly works with children with autism, so "managing" DS was a  breeze for her). I thought maybe his increased emotional fragility was related to her leaving, but it went on all week.

The weekend was particularly tough, although he had one-on-one almost all weekend, with either myself, DH, or both of us. He had tons of fun at an indoor playground. But, man, I was glad to get him back to daycare Monday morning.

Monday I also started him on Focus Factor for Kids, and making sure he had his Nordic Natural's DHA CLO daily. My decision to start him on a vitamin stemmed from the fact that he stopped nursing last week (yes, in the middle of the whiny week). My decision to use Focus Factor was based on the fact that it was the ONLY one available locally that didn't have any artificial flavor or color or any of his allergens. Here is a link to the ingredients - http://www.factornutrition.com/index.php/product-family/focusfactor-for-kids#

A link to the Nordic Natural's he's been taking - http://www.vitasprings.com/children-s-dha-liquid-8-oz-nordic-naturals.html

Prior to this, he was probably getting 1/2 tsp CLO 3-4 times a week.

He's been a breeze all week. No melt downs, no whining. When he is told no or is disappointed ("We're going home for dinner. We're not going to the gym today."), he frowns and sometimes makes a whimpering puppy sound. That lasts less than 10 seconds, usually less than 5.

I have NO idea if it is a coincidence. I wouldn't say that he has more focus, but man, he is back to his happy self, and *I* am happy about it.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#207 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 AM

I can NOT do roaches or mice. We found mouse droppings in our closets (filled with 10 years worth of papers and junk!) when we moved and I was just paralyzed with ICK. Here in the south the roaches are indeed unavoidable. The big tree roaches roam the neighborhoods but I've never had them in my house thankfully! When I was in high school my parents rented a house briefly that was infested with the smaller roaches (German? the little slimmer brown ones. gag.) They tried everything to get rid of those things, and nothing worked. We lived there for only a few months, which was much too long for my liking!  We never had a problem before or since but I still have nightmares about that house.

Oh and they eat the glue in cardboard boxes, and drywall, and wood, and each others' droppings and ew ew ew! 

Quote:

Soy. It's easier to get out of the system if there IS a reaction. And it's hidden in freakin' everything (not that you do a lot/any processed foods).

Second on the apple crisp to share. It's super-easy to make, and to make allergy-free. Also doubles as breakfast if there are leftovers.

Tell DH that fish oil works just as well as an anti-inflammatory. He's allow the frozen peas, though.

Agreed that ROACHES are the things I cannot handle. DH had them in a basement apartment in DC. Ugh!! And I had them in a 3rd floor apt outside Sydney, Australia. (took several months for them to eventually reach the 3rd floor. My friends on lower floors got them first.) And, don't get me started on my SIL in Atlanta and the roaches. You just can't avoid them in the south, I think, unless you do extermination. I mean, they eat PAPER BAGS and other non-food-to-humans.

#208 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 11:18 AM

Did I mention I got picked for a jury.  Not feeling the love here.  And now I can't keep up either.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#209 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Did I mention I got picked for a jury.  Not feeling the love here.  And now I can't keep up either.

Yuck! Not fun at all.

#210 of 770 Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post

Gluten would make life easier all around, IMO....even if she tested it and passed in such a way that you only let her have it sometimes...like going out to eat, at friends' houses, etc.

Soy....I'd be happy just to have trace soy tolerance, even is soy sauce itself was out.  Having soy mostly makes food away from home easier, but having gluten makes both easier...IMHO. 

Obviously I've been giving DD2 gluten again vs soy....lol.  I havne't noticed anything different with her having some wheat.  If anything, it seems to be making her bm's even better than removing sals did.  I'm still making gf food, but I'm not fretting about some yummy crusty bread or her eating some of DS's crackers.  I wanted some chocolate other than Enjoy Life though, so I made some cookies with ghiradelli chips...and I think it's passing fine.  It's only soy lecithin, which I realize is fine for most people but I was scared to try even that given her reaction to straight soy (crazy anger).  I'm happy with trace soy being ok, we don't really eat it anyway.  Need to try both kids on soy sauce though, or at least DS, bc he wants sushi again!

I use the Coconut Aminos for sushi and it tastes the same to me. Maybe I'll try her on trace soy. That's a good idea. Like a soy lecithin or a soybean oil and see how she reacts. Then she wouldn't know she was having it so it would be a blind test. I just have to find something that has it, but doesn't have the other stuff in it!

Quote:

He's been a breeze all week. No melt downs, no whining. When he is told no or is disappointed ("We're going home for dinner. We're not going to the gym today."), he frowns and sometimes makes a whimpering puppy sound. That lasts less than 10 seconds, usually less than 5.

I have NO idea if it is a coincidence. I wouldn't say that he has more focus, but man, he is back to his happy self, and *I* am happy about it.

I don't know which it is either, but it sounds like it's great!! That sounds like a pretty drastic change to be coincidence though.

Quote:

My half-brother loved being on jury duty. I have no idea who would feed my kids if I were picked though. But crossing my fingers, I have never been picked for jury duty (DH either). Feel the love. Feel the love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page