Forum Jump: 

#241 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

No time, please forgive me.

You would not believe what it going on.  Suffice it to say that literally STBX has pretty much broken every agreement we've ever made.

Hugs, hugs, hugs.  Sounds truly awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

too lazy to quote, and still haven't figured out where to find smileys.

So hugs to Jane and JR. And anyone else who needs them (and Carren, how long are you on jury duty for?)

Yikes on the doctor thing. Blech. Double blech.

I'm feeling better mentally (chocolate) and physically today which means I'm probably going to do too much and regret it tomorrow. So far I visited my father in the ht ospital and got my dd1 a phone (since apparently she's the last person in the entire middle school to not have one) for Christmas - actually it's because my father forgot to pick her up on Monday from swim team and she had no way to call anyone and a mother of another swimmer offered her a ride and she took it even though she didn't even know the kid. So for my sanity, I want her to have a way to reach me, and any number of alternate rides. At least that's my justification for giving her one in middle school even though I was going to wait for high school. So now I need to go back up to the hospital and see what else they've found out about my father. I figure if they're treating a blood infection and they're still doing MRIs and CT scans,

then they are still looking for something... right?

Hope they figure out what's going on with your father.  My mother went through that 10+ years ago, but the cause, unfortunately was known (ignored her ever worsening diabetes and had gangrene toes - TMI and doesn't sound applicable in your case).

About kids and cell phones:  I always said that we'd wait until DD was around 12 before we considered it for her, but we ended up getting her one this past spring (she turned 10) when we joined the Y down the street from her school.  Now she walks there with schoolmates after school and is supposed to call us when she gets there and have it on and answer it when I go to pick her up (not that these things happen as often as they should....).  It's been great - she gets to hang out with friends/schoolmates and I get to let DS finish his nap before we pick her up!

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#242 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 PM

grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif More hugs for everyone. grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif

Finally kicked my funk. Only took two or three days of remembering to take my Mag morning & night. Yay. Now if only I could convince Aev to sleep past 6... 

(Oh, hey, did you know you can copy & paste smilies?) 

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#243 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

Kathy, I hope you get quick, good answers for you dad.  There's got to be a cause for the septicemia, right?  I hope they're looking for that.

I know what you mean, JR, about pay phones--but I really looked recently, several places--and they're all but gone, I guess they're not profitable anymore (vs the maintenance/vandalism repair)?  I'd hope that someone would loan kids phones to make calls, but I've wondered the same thing--when the kids are old enough to go places without us (I mean, if they went to school, beyond the bus-school-bus-home routine which is pretty fixed when you're a little kid), it seems like then giving them a phone to get in touch with us may be reasonable.  DD is only 7 so I don't have to think about it yet... I don't know when she'll be able to take classes without me fairly immediately around--she's taken 1-hour classes at the museum and I walk around, but they don't release the kids from class til the parent shows up, but say a 1/2 day thing, a drop-off thing...  Seems like you're at a reasonable point, Kathy.

grouphug.gif  JR... wish I had some ideas, I've never dealt with this.  And not to sound too woo, but the current mercury retrograde probably won't make it easier to resolve. 

That's actually exactly what I mean, Tanya. They're all but non-existent now. Seems ridiculous to me (that there really aren't any options to cell phones any more), but that's only my opinion. It was by no means meant as a comment against parents getting their kids cell phones in the present day, just a comment on the modern life.

Oh dear heavens. It's retrograde in CAPRICORN. I am so screwed. That is the house ruling social status (for everyone), and my personal Capricorn is in the 4th house, which impacts home and family. Ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post

grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif More hugs for everyone. grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif

Finally kicked my funk. Only took two or three days of remembering to take my Mag morning & night. Yay. Now if only I could convince Aev to sleep past 6... 

(Oh, hey, did you know you can copy & paste smilies?) 

Glad you're feeling better! And awesome about smilies!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#244 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 02:13 PM

So many hugs Jane - what a terrible drain of your energy that you could be using for something else.
When you have a chance, let us know how your new house is.

I'm looking for marinade and BBQ sauce ideas.
We can't have soy sauce or tomatoes so I'm feeling a little stuck. I know there are ideas out there. I want to make more chicken legs because they are cheap but I don't like them plain.

Baby girl is sick again. Another terrible fluish sickness is going through the house. I'm handling it well with homeopathy.

Moved down to only needing 6. 5-htps rather than around 15 my pendulum recommended. I think all the Mo I'm taking is helping.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#245 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss_understood View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

too lazy to quote, and still haven't figured out where to find smileys.

So hugs to Jane and JR. And anyone else who needs them (and Carren, how long are you on jury duty for?)

Yikes on the doctor thing. Blech. Double blech.

I'm feeling better mentally (chocolate) and physically today which means I'm probably going to do too much and regret it tomorrow. So far I visited my father in the hospital and got my dd1 a phone (since apparently she's the last person in the entire middle school to not have one) for Christmas - actually it's because my father forgot to pick her up on Monday from swim team and she had no way to call anyone and a mother of another swimmer offered her a ride and she took it even though she didn't even know the kid. So for my sanity, I want her to have a way to reach me, and any number of alternate rides. At least that's my justification for giving her one in middle school even though I was going to wait for high school. So now I need to go back up to the hospital and see what else they've found out about my father. I figure if they're treating a blood infection and they're still doing MRIs and CT scans, then they are still looking for something... right?

I'm glad you're feeling better, even if only temporarily. I will point out that a study (which I think I posted here) I recently read said that mental pain/concern can cause a lowered tolerance to physical pain. Which is part of the reason I feel so guilty for posting our crap. :( And this is not intended as offense to you or a challenge of you getting your DD1 a cell phone but... Really, whatever happened to pay phones?! orngtongue.gifshy.gif

Further hug2.gifs to anyone else who needs them. I'm incredibly distracted right now, so I apologize for not responding to everyone.

DD1 is 13yo, and I swear everyone I know her age does have one. There's a phone in the office at the middle school, which she's used before. But at the high school, where they go for swim team, they're only in the "field house" which is the gym/lockers/pool, and there's no pay phone there. But if I was a coach, I wouldn't just assume that everyone had a phone and I would make sure that everyone had a parent there, or offer a phone to call someone and not leave a child (not sure if the coach was there or not; I forgot to ask that). There might have been another practice after that which the coach also does so she might not have noticed, but still. And it was nice of the lady, whoever she was, to offer DD1 a ride, but it's that whole I-have-no-idea-who-she-is thing.

Yeah bladder to blood infection sounded a little odd to me (considering how many bladder infections I've had and how long I've sometimes let them go trying to heal them myself, and mine have gone to the kidneys, but I've never had septicemia) so I'm glad they're still running tests. And apparently (TMI warning) he missed the first 3 times trying to pee into the bedpan and they had to change the sheets three times so now he's got a condom catheter. It was totally one of those mortality moments. I mean, he's only 72, but he smoked for 40 years, he's got COPD, has a hearing aid (but didn't bring it with him to the hospital so it was "what?" every other sentence, an absolutely horrid diet, no exercise, etc. and he was getting helped to the bathroom with his wrinkly butt hanging out and I suddenly thought "he's getting old". He's also been getting puffy lately (like I think his ring is going to have to be surgically removed at some point) and I'm just hoping they're looking at everything.

I'm making pizzas and I think we're going to have family movie night when everybody gets home (DH has to pick up DD1 from swim team). Got the fires going. And trying to keep my positive vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post

Hugs going out to those who needs them - Kathy, I hope your father gets well.  JR - I hope they wise up to the bullying soon.  Jane - I hope someone kicks your STBX in the balls.

So now both kids are sick.  DS has a horrible cough.  DD had a fever last night.  I ended up driving her a half hour to a daisy event, then I had to drive her home and then go back to the daisy event and pick up the other girls I had driven there.  Ugh.  And back to jury duty today.  Looks like we'll get the case for deliberation on Monday.  Then its up to us.

Bummer. Will the kids being sick get you out of jury duty?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#246 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWithin View Post

So many hugs Jane - what a terrible drain of your energy that you could be using for something else.

We can't have soy sauce or tomatoes so I'm feeling a little stuck. I know there are ideas out there. I want to make more chicken legs because they are cheap but I don't like them plain.

Baby girl is sick again. Another terrible fluish sickness is going through the house. I'm handling it well with homeopathy.

Moved down to only needing 6. 5-htps rather than around 15 my pendulum recommended. I think all the Mo I'm taking is helping.

We use Coconut Aminos for soy sauce - tastes just like it to make teriyaki sauce (olive oil, garlic, molasses... something else I can't remember), or for fried rice, and sushi, so I'm assuming it would work in other applications. If you can have coconut. And I love the Cornell chicken barbecue marinade. I've been using them on chicken thighs (because they're the same price as the legs but I think they're tastier). It's oil, vinegar, and egg. And when I'm making roasted chicken, I just slather on olive oil, and oregano, salt & pepper. What about a rub? You could probably find recipes for rubs that are just a combo of spices that could make them taste different. My grandmother used to boil the thighs and legs to death, then put them on a platter surrounded by half pieces of doughy white bread (as in, Wonder Bread) and slather it all with gravy. Yum.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#247 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 04:23 PM

DS1had a good day!!!! joy.gif This smiley does not jump high enough to express how happy I am!!

menomena likes this.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#248 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss_understood View Post

DS1had a good day!!!! joy.gif This smiley does not jump high enough to express how happy I am!!

If only I could find the smileys, I'd make one to cheer alongside of yours. That's great. Maybe it was that show of support this morning at the bus stop, so he knew he had people backing him up. That's awesome!!

#249 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Wonderful news JR!

Kathy 1/2 of us can't have eggs and 3/4 can't have coconut. That one marinade sounds interesting.

#250 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 05:36 PM

Yeah JR!!!!!!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#251 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Yay JR!!

Re phones - yeah no pay phones here either. My mom has gotten into the habit of getting all her grandkids a pre-paid phone when they turn 10. (4 kids down, 15 to go lol.) One of her customers yesterday was asking how in the world our parents survived back before all the kids had cell phones. It was very different even just a few years ago. Crazy.

Kathy I'm thinking of your father and hoping they figure out what's up.

Kids have been nuts tonight. DH was home sick with them all day while I helped my mom and I guess they're stir-crazy. I happened to catch a bit of SuperNanny and seeing the kid's behavior (oppositional, won't eat, tired, etc.) my first thought was food allergies. I might have to watch it later on abc.com and see how he responds to her lovely ideas.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#252 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well (totally new topic), I think this is going to be a pivotal year in my relationship with my inlaws.  DH isn't thrilled with me, though really it's a matter of miscommunication that we sorted out fairly quickly, but I think both of us see this as a beginning of stress.  My inlaws are much more into electronic games and toys than I.  I'm not anti, and we watch more TV than I'd like, but the electronic stuff usage in his family is more than I want for us.  A lot more, a lot earlier.  I don't think DH relishes being in the middle, and maybe we can finesse this somehow in the years to come, but I can see birthdays and holidays becoming stressful.  I think my newly 7yo shouldn't have a Nintendo DS, and I may be the only adult in the whole situation who feels that way--and I don't know how it's going to go if I still feel this way in, say, 3 years (long past when the other 10 yo's in the family had them).  Sigh.  Distance is a beautiful thing, right?  740 miles of it. (Colorado Springs is 643 and  I'm ok with that too).  And at least I'm getting a heads-up that this may come up at future holidays (it's been averted for this year)?  Yeah, that's the optimistic way to look at it. 

I've been married to DH for almost a dozen years--it'll be 12 yrs in January--and this time period is the first that I've had stress and unhappiness due to inlaws.  Guess I should put that in the plus column too. 

#253 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 PM

((((hugs)))) to those that needs it.

Yay for a great day!!!

Regarding cell phone. I agree with you all. I did see one today but it's not a place where teens hangs out, so it's not like a teen that is left alone will be able to get in and use it.

As for the Nintendo DS, I don't agree that a child, under 10yrs min, should have one. My oldest dd(8yrs old) just asked one this yr, which she won't get. She will probably have to save her money and buy one herself. We do have a Wii but the one that uses it the most is dh. We let the girls use it maybe once a mth or so. We just don't have the time. Plus, they are super good at playing with their toys or pretend and/or coloring.

My mom wasn't happy with my supper idea. lol I let the girls eat gf and reg waffles for supper. We did use different toping than maple syrup like bp and jam. The girls were in heaven. :)

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#254 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 PM

DD already knows how to use our Wii. bag.gif But she mostly just likes to watch me do the Wii Fit games- especially the obstacle course. "The owie one, the owie one!" lol.gif (Is that really how you spell owie? Looks really weird. Guess I've never actually written it before.)

On a completely unrelated note... I was looking at my pregnancy journal from last time, and at this point I already had a lot of heartburn and was feeling a lot of hiccups from DD. Heartburn is rare so far this time (only if I eat a bunch of sweets), and NO hiccups yet. I'm taking this as a really good sign. fingersx.gif

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#255 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 07:13 PM

DS1 knows how to use a few websites (lego.com, starfall, pbskids) and we've been tossing around the idea of refurbishing an old laptop for him... but I'm really not keen on his having so much control and the ability to get online anytime he wants. So it just keeps getting put off. I don't have a huge issue with computer use in general, even at his age (5), but I'm feeling really uncomfortable with the amount of screen time he already gets and I would like to limit it.

New glasses arrived today. Huge prescription change and they feel really weird. I think the frame is pretty cute though, especially considering I picked them out online without trying them on.

Darn, tonight's Supernanny isn't online yet.

Everyone in the house is asleep and I'm kind of having a panic attack because I can't locate a bucketload of digital photos. I'm so bad about printing them and I only have a few printed or online from DS2's early months, and I can't find any of the old files. I'm hoping they're on CD's that DH can get to, and I'm really hoping they're NOT in the file he accidentally deleted one disastrous late night when he was trying to clear some space on his mac. :( This all started because last night when DS2 was wide awake at 2am, he asked me, "Where are all the pictures of me when I was a baby?"  :cry

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#256 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 PM

JR, glad your DS had a good day.

My DD's cell phone was a free one, and she doesn't have a data plan; it's just for her to use in predetermined situations.

Ahem.... On the topic of game systems (as well as other home technology), I must confess that we have 2 Xbox 360's and a Wii.  We also have WAAAYYY too many TV's (and other electronics) in this house to confess to owning!  But it's not surprising that we have a lot of techy things, as DH works for a large software company whose headquarters are located in the NW wink1.gif (although we get to live in Phoenix - YAY!), and has always taken a shine to any and all techy gadgets!

As far as the kids exposure to all of it, we've had to severely limit my DD to watching TV/playing games because if she does/did either for too long, she would get rather uncontrollable (major behavior issues).  Next, we work on her youtube watching (mostly about cats) ! bag.gif She (usually) is better now that she was when she was younger; I'm not sure if it's just maturation, or a result of the restricted diet. shrug.gif  My son is not at all that way, thank goodness.  You can turn off the TV mid show or DVD, and he is A OK.   His issue lately is that he resists naps, and doesn't want to fall asleep at night (but is fine once he gets to sleep).  He's not unhappy; he just plays, talks and sings to himself.  And today, he completely emptied his book shelf and dresser drawers while he was supposed to be napping (while *I* was napping).  *SIGH*  At least I had a nice nap, and he helped me pick up the mess!

menomena likes this.

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#257 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

DD already knows how to use our Wii. bag.gif But she mostly just likes to watch me do the Wii Fit games- especially the obstacle course. "The owie one, the owie one!" lol.gif (Is that really how you spell owie? Looks really weird. Guess I've never actually written it before.)

That's the thing--DH has all sorts of game systems and he plays stuff with the kids and they're learning to play--I'm not anti technology / anti-game.  But do they need access to a PS3 and a Wii and the other one (I forgot the name of that game system, but I think there's a third) plus their own personal DS's?  Or rather (no need to actually answer)--am I a bad guy if I don't think this is necessary for them?  This is what we're going to be, um, compromising on for years to come.

#258 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 PM

Nope- I agree, totally unnecessary.

#259 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:

ASo many hugs Jane - what a terrible drain of your energy that you could be using for something else.

So glad to hear you're doing better, but man, sick again!?

For marinades, I like various combos of EVOO, garlic, lemon juice, honey, mustard. Dh's favorite lately has been sweet chili sauce - its vinegar, garlic, sugar, red peppers and we buy it at the Asian market. The one thats clear with stuff floating in it.
Quote:

Well (totally new topic), I think this is going to be a pivotal year in my relationship with my inlaws.  DH isn't thrilled with me, though really it's a matter of miscommunication that we sorted out fairly quickly, but I think both of us see this as a beginning of stress.  My inlaws are much more into electronic games and toys than I.  I'm not anti, and we watch more TV than I'd like, but the electronic stuff usage in his family is more than I want for us.  A lot more, a lot earlier.  I don't think DH relishes being in the middle, and maybe we can finesse this somehow in the years to come, but I can see birthdays and holidays becoming stressful.  I think my newly 7yo shouldn't have a Nintendo DS, and I may be the only adult in the whole situation who feels that way--and I don't know how it's going to go if I still feel this way in, say, 3 years (long past when the other 10 yo's in the family had them).  Sigh.  Distance is a beautiful thing, right?  740 miles of it. (Colorado Springs is 643 and  I'm ok with that too).  And at least I'm getting a heads-up that this may come up at future holidays (it's been averted for this year)?  Yeah, that's the optimistic way to look at it. 

I've been married to DH for almost a dozen years--it'll be 12 yrs in January--and this time period is the first that I've had stress and unhappiness due to inlaws.  Guess I should put that in the plus column too. 

I bet I could hook you up with a house in the Springs smile.gif. My aunt and uncle are feeling like their house will be sold in the near future.

I don't like the hand held games cause they're so anti-social. I'm learning to appreciate the other ones, though. Dd now totally knows her way around way too much technology and has amazing mouse skills for her age. The ILs wanted to get all the grandkids that new xbox thing, kinect? But dh talked them into a wii for us instead. Dd took one look at it and went back to her (free) iPad games instead, lol. Can you go the route of introducing so many fun other things (games or not) that the ds is boring?

Quote:

ADD already knows how to use our Wii. bag.gif But she mostly just likes to watch me do the Wii Fit games- especially the obstacle course. "The owie one, the owie one!" lol.gif (Is that really how you spell owie? Looks really weird. Guess I've never actually written it before.)

On a completely unrelated note... I was looking at my pregnancy journal from last time, and at this point I already had a lot of heartburn and was feeling a lot of hiccups from DD. Heartburn is rare so far this time (only if I eat a bunch of sweets), and NO hiccups yet. I'm taking this as a really good sign. fingersx.gif

Ive been meaning to ask, any game req's?

Yay for less heartburn and fewer hiccups! Same thing happened here and ds seems so much more normal than dd. Can't get a useful read on reactiveness, though, seeing as we're all a swirling mess all the time anyway. Sigh.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#260 of 770 Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post

My mom wasn't happy with my supper idea. lol I let the girls eat gf and reg waffles for supper. We did use different toping than maple syrup like bp and jam. The girls were in heaven. :)

DS has been asking for waffles a lot lately, every time we go past a frozen case (no, I don't make waffles... ).  Sounds like a fun dinner to me! 

Quote:

Yippee!  (I need to give up chocolate--it's reliably giving me heartburn these days... just.need.to.do.it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfairy View Post

Everyone in the house is asleep and I'm kind of having a panic attack because I can't locate a bucketload of digital photos. I'm so bad about printing them and I only have a few printed or online from DS2's early months, and I can't find any of the old files. I'm hoping they're on CD's that DH can get to, and I'm really hoping they're NOT in the file he accidentally deleted one disastrous late night when he was trying to clear some space on his mac. :( This all started because last night when DS2 was wide awake at 2am, he asked me, "Where are all the pictures of me when I was a baby?"  :cry

goodvibes.giffor slightly misplaced, but easily found, computer files.  We have tons of pics on the new camera... and I still owe my mom about 3 years' worth of pictures, in frames.  Maybe this weekend?  I've been saying that for, oh, 3 Christmases now.  This year will be different though. 

Quote:

Nope- I agree, totally unnecessary.

love.gif  Love the support around here.  DH will support me, since I really do feel strongly on this, but I think he thinks I'm going overboard on this.  The Nintendo DS has been delayed for this year, but I'd bet it'll come up at the next birthday (thankfully not til November for DD, at least they seemed to realize 4yo DS may be too young).  The space is feeling good right about now. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theloose View Post

So glad to hear you're doing better, but man, sick again!?For marinades, I like various combos of EVOO, garlic, lemon juice, honey, mustard. Dh's favorite lately has been sweet chili sauce - its vinegar, garlic, sugar, red peppers and we buy it at the Asian market. The one thats clear with stuff floating in it.

I meant to mention (did I quote FireWithin?)-- with all that 5-htp you're taking, that fits into methylation doesn't it?  I haven't actually used it, I just remember it eventually becoming melatonin and our methylation-melatonin link... but the biggest impact on us getting sick was throwing methyl groups at DS.  So I hope that impacts the getting-sick part of things for you guys too. 

I bet I could hook you up with a house in the Springs smile.gif. My aunt and uncle are feeling like their house will be sold in the near future.I don't like the hand held games cause they're so anti-social. I'm learning to appreciate the other ones, though. Dd now totally knows her way around way too much technology and has amazing mouse skills for her age. The ILs wanted to get all the grandkids that new xbox thing, kinect? But dh talked them into a wii for us instead. Dd took one look at it and went back to her (free) iPad games instead, lol. Can you go the route of introducing so many fun other things (games or not) that the ds is boring?

But can you hook us up with a mechanical engineering job?  winky.gif  Yeah, it's the anti-social part of the hand-held stuff that I'm not comfortable with too--same thing for personal music players, but DD has a radio/CD player, the kind that sits on a shelf.  By MDC standards we're all mainstream-USA (and not in a good way) on electronics usage, but I think by the way he thinks, I'm reactionary and, well, hippie-weird.  ... I've delayed the DS for now, but DH has a Nintendo DS and the cousins do (dang, I'm not going to be nice-mom when the day comes that currently 3yo nephew gets a DS before my kids who are currently 7 and 4.5), so there's already exposure and the coolness factor.  It builds character to have the sorta weird mom who says stuff like, "If so-and-so jumped off a cliff, would you?" 

Thanks, everyone, for letting me vent a bit.  It'll work out, I'm sure.  And I get to sleep in tomorrow, that'll be nice.  And catch up on dishes--less than nice (seriously, my energy's been so low this week, it looks like a bomb went off in the house--I think I'm bouncing back though). 

#261 of 770 Old 12-11-2010, 06:54 AM

RE: video games... 

I'm divided. I agree that a younger child should not have unlimited access to video games, handheld or otherwise, or computers or TV. However. We let DD1 (who is only 5.5) put a DSi on her Christmas list. She probably won't get it, but there ya go. It would stay up in her closet and she'd still have to ask to use it like she does ours now. shy.gif We already have an xbox 360, a Wii and our own DS. DH has a "work" laptop, I have my laptop, and he's been slowly stripping down the old laptop for the kids. shy.gif DH is really into technology & video games. He's actually always wanted to be a video game programmer (currently does other computer programming) and has actually interned on a big game (that unfortunately was never released, but he had A LOT of fun working on it). DH's brother also works for a large computer company based in the NW ;) so we get stuff from him a lot. Lily has a few games of her own for the DS, but it's reserved for things like, long car rides, or if she asks, we'll set aside 30-45min and then be done. Just like we do with TV/movies. She's also a whiz on the computer, but that goes with the territory around here. Again, DH is on the computer, professionally, constantly. I do volunteering for two non-profits (I'm a leader with our local LLL chapter, and I'm secretary/member coordinator for Friends of Michigan Midwives) that puts me on the computer intermittently through out the day. Plus all the random "hey, let's look up xyz piece of info" that we do. Lily actually has suggested we "google" something we didn't know about before. We did and it spurred a great hour of discussion. I definitely think the internet is a very useful homeschooling tool! :D Starfall.com is one of our favorite sites for a kid who wants to play on the computer for a bit. 

But, I totally agree that a child doesn't NEED electronics, just because everyone else has one, or just because they are a certain age. Our kids are into them, because we are. But we model appropriate/responsible usage, too. So that works for our family. :) 

And WOOO HOOO JR!! Yay for Aris. Good days are indeed good. :) 

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#262 of 770 Old 12-11-2010, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post

RE: video games... 

I'm divided. I agree that a younger child should not have unlimited access to video games, handheld or otherwise, or computers or TV. However. We let DD1 (who is only 5.5) put a DSi on her Christmas list. She probably won't get it, but there ya go. It would stay up in her closet and she'd still have to ask to use it like she does ours now. shy.gif 

DH suggested this setup, and I'm not inherently opposed, except that it makes more stuff for me to do--and I already feel like I make a lot of rules and limit other things (various loud toys that drive me bonkers, other stuff I'm sure, plus during the "school year" I start to feel like with our relatively simple food limitations, I still feel like I'm ending up the bad guy by spring), so I go back to feeling like a meanie.  I totally think it could be done well--but I'm not sure I'm the parent, where I am/where we are, to make that happen, yk? 

I do keep thinking about something along those lines for long car trips--we do those regularly, and they're exceedingly long. 

Our kids are into them, because we are. But we model appropriate/responsible usage, too. So that works for our family. :) 

The model my kids see of how the handheld games are used (the inlaws)... not the appropriate/responsible model I want for us.  And it's reassuring to hear that some families really do know how to use them well-- my only real experience of seeing kids/families use them hasn't been heartwarming, but even I know that that's skewed.  The other stuff--computer, Netflix, DH's game systems... good enough, we could do better, but good enough. 

#263 of 770 Old 12-11-2010, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and what I meant to say--Jessica, I got emails today that our samples were received in the mail.  I think DH dropped them in a mailbox last Saturday, not sure if it was before or after the pick-up time.  Oh, and I guess I forgot where they were shipping, but TX to wherever seems to be a week.  Now that my brain's not toast, I need to try again with DS, or just call and order the darn swab for him. 

#264 of 770 Old 12-11-2010, 08:26 AM

stuck in the teenager phase of rebellion and doesn't want to grow up.

Quote:

Quote:

Need to ask a quick question.  This seems like the only B12 product w/o additives (sals) but it has the bad folic acid.  Does that block folate?  Do you just give more folate?

https://www.emersonecologics.com/Products/EmersonMain/PID-B12MC.aspx

Thanks.  Need lots of hugs.

I hope Deb or Shannon answer your question.  Do you know which combo of mthfr genes you've got (or DS has, whichever of you this is for)?  Shannon explained how folinic was different than 5-mth folate and I don't remember.  bag.gif  (really annoying to deal with smileys now, but sometimes they're just so darned appropriate)  So it may be more 5-mth folate only?  Like I said, I really hope Deb and/or Shannon come back because there's at least a 50% chance I'm wrong on that. 

No idea.  STBX won't ok gene testing.  But he is okaying trying B12 and folate first.  I have a mutation but not the "really bad one".

Quote:

Have you trialed the yasko drops with rosemary?  Is he that super duper sensitive to sals?  Can you mega load him up on epsom salts like you did for yourself?  Do you have him on Mo?  What happens with the folic acid is that it needs to get converted to folate, and there's a limit to that conversion (adult population average, it slows down after 260ish mcg, and stops after 400mcg) and then anything extra beyond that floats around unusable and blocks real folate from doing it's job.  If it's a smaller dose, probably not a HUGE problem, but if you're trying to blast tons of folic acid to get around that conversion issue, then you just create more problems.

Is it the lemon flavor that's an issue with this one, or the other stuff too? http://www.jarrow.com/product.php?prodid=58

and big, big hugs.  Yeah, document the agreement breaking and use it against him!

oh and yeah he's reacted to lemon and citric acid before.

Quote:

:) thanks, that's exactly right, ugh.

I love my new place!!!  It has everything I wanted: first floor, yard, right in town center, two family, nice owners and owner occupied, big kitchen w/ skylight, dining room, laundry.  The only problem has been off gassing from new carpeting in bedrooms but got really great not too expensive air purifiers that totally is taking care of it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RUS05E?ie=UTF8&tag=ggbc-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001RUS05E

I think I will steam clean them too with super hot water.  When I get a free minute,  there's so many boxes left to unpack. It's less of a disaster area now but I'm exhausted.  Lots more to do.  I'm going to host Xmas so I've gotta get on the stick and decorate too. 

#265 of 770 Old 12-11-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:

I got some VERY interesting insights from my father.  Now my dad is a mix of "grew up in the 50's - conservative Catholic, dyed in wool Democrat/Union man - extremely intelligent - Irish temper and Lace Curtain Irish manners".   We were talking (rare, usually I talk to my mom) about how I felt being a member of our family and how I never intended divorce in a zillion years ...  and he gave me lots of insight re: how STBX was raised and the hurts he felt and how that effects him as a man and as a parent.  My therapist said that too, STBX is stuck in the teenager phase of rebellion and doesn't want to grow up.

If only the world were a perfect place...  I'm so thankful that dh is putting up with *me* these days, cause I feel like I'm stuck as a little kid but finally getting a chance to grow up.  I just wasn't there before.  I totally believe it about your dh, and that it's probably something that's biochemical for him, too.  No doubt some of the same genetics that are showing up in your ds grouphug.gif
Quote:

Have you trialed the yasko drops with rosemary?  Is he that super duper sensitive to sals?  Can you mega load him up on epsom salts like you did for yourself?  Do you have him on Mo?  What happens with the folic acid is that it needs to get converted to folate, and there's a limit to that conversion (adult population average, it slows down after 260ish mcg, and stops after 400mcg) and then anything extra beyond that floats around unusable and blocks real folate from doing it's job.  If it's a smaller dose, probably not a HUGE problem, but if you're trying to blast tons of folic acid to get around that conversion issue, then you just create more problems.

Is it the lemon flavor that's an issue with this one, or the other stuff too? http://www.jarrow.com/product.php?prodid=58

and big, big hugs.  Yeah, document the agreement breaking and use it against him!

No.  He is super duper sensitive.  He has been taking epsom salts baths and also mag baths for months now.  Yes on BodyBio Mo but maybe not enough just one drop per day.   So 100mcg folic acid might be small enough that free floating will not occur? but he is a child, just under 60lbs.  The P5P we've  never tried before.

thanks for holding my hand throught this!

oh and yeah he's reacted to lemon and citric acid before.

If you can, I'd absolutely play with increasing his Mo.  It's hard to OD on (cells just stop accepting it and it gets peed out) and at least for me, I tend to need way more than the suggested dosage.  Who knows if it's malabsorption or inefficient usage or my genetics or fixing a deficiency or what, but whatever it is, I see RDAs as ballpark guidelines for a starting minimum.

Just 100mcg folic acid, I wouldn't stress over too much.  How much b12 goes along with that, though?  If that's your only option for the b12, I'd guess it's worth at least a trial, to see if it's going to be helpful.

I love the copy/paste smily thing.  And hey!  If we can do that, does that mean we can just create a doc with all the smilies and use that instead of the new smiley menu?  Either a wiki so everyone can share or just do it on our own computers?

eta:  And the reason I came to post... Kathy, someone on another list just mentioned 'allergic' reactions to abx potentially being die off instead.  With the lyme, wouldn't that make a lot of sense in your case?

#266 of 770 Old 12-11-2010, 09:08 AM

I agree (was it Sandrine?) that methylation is an issue for us.  I know TheLoose mentioned it in my thread.  I am slowly upping our B12, but don't want to do it too fast. 

Sals are kicking my butt.  We can't seem to absorb enough mag.  I am thinking it might be the carpet my mom brought with her when she moved in.  The timing seems to be right.  Maybe some P5P would help. 

We have gotten sick sooooo much recently.  It is not normal.

Jane the house sounds lovely.  I have almost always lived in a 2 family house.  I like it. 

We decided not to get a handheld for the boys.  They already have a leapster but it doesn't hold the same thrall has a nintendo DS.   They get a lot of computer time during the day, everyday. 

Off to buy our Christmas tree!

#267 of 770 Old 12-11-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:

I agree (was it Sandrine?) that methylation is an issue for us.  I know TheLoose mentioned it in my thread.  I am slowly upping our B12, but don't want to do it too fast. 

Sals are kicking my butt.  We can't seem to absorb enough mag.  I am thinking it might be the carpet my mom brought with her when she moved in.  The timing seems to be right.  Maybe some P5P would help. 

We have gotten sick sooooo much recently.  It is not normal.

Jane the house sounds lovely.  I have almost always lived in a 2 family house.  I like it. 

We decided not to get a handheld for the boys.  They already have a leapster but it doesn't hold the same thrall has a nintendo DS.   They get a lot of computer time during the day, everyday. 

Off to buy our Christmas tree!

For me, folate is a bigger deal for mood stuff than b12 is, and it ties into methylation as well.  Would you feel comfortable upping it faster than the b12?  And since you've been sick so much, that's probably depleting other stuff as well, making you more likely to get sick again.  Are you up on zinc and A and probiotics too?  How about mag oil for some extra mag?  Can you move the carpet temporarily to see if it makes you feel better?

#268 of 770 Old 12-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Zinc is low

good questions.  not sure about the carpet.  How long will it take to see a difference?  It is 4 years old.  Does that make a difference? 

I am very depleted in A.  My lips are dry and cracked.  There is only so much clo I can take, but will try harder.We do have extra folate, can add more.  

We have high quality probiotics that I am trying to remember for myself and baby.  The probiotics makes Max crazy, which means they are good for him, but just can't handle it well.

Zinc is low also.  I can see white spots on my nails.

Thanks for the ideas.  When I have a chance, I'm going to move this to my thread.  Basic stuff that I sometimes forget about.

#269 of 770 Old 12-11-2010, 09:46 AM

&%^#%$&$*%  lost my message

This the the B12 amount Shannon:

Quote:
 B-12 MC Spray 1 fl oz (B12MC)
Manufacturer: Davinci Labs
Retail Price: $29.60
Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Spray (0.2 ml)
Servings per Container: 150

Amount per Serving
Folic Acid 100 mcg
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate) 2 mg
Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin & Hydroxocobalamin) 1,000 mcg

Other Ingredients: glycerin, water.

Not a therapeutic dose of P5P?

What was the issue with different forms of folate supps for different genetics that Tanya mentioned?  I have Solgar folate, it made me feel weird. 

Totally re: your comment about STBX and his genetics.  And thyroid issues clearly.

Speaking of thyroid we (school nurse, ped) think DS's reactions at recess might be to cold air.  It's happened twice.  I posted about his mystery reaction before but it just happened again last week and this time he went to the nurse and I went right in.  No rash or hives, just itchy all over.  Apparently this is well known to nurse and ped. If this is not body temp/thyroid related I'll eat my Starr book.

#270 of 770 Old 12-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Jane- the house sounds great. smile.gif There are certain plants that you can buy too that will filter those specific off-gassing chemicals like formaldehyde and stuff. I can try and find the list if you want.
Quote:

>
Ive been meaning to ask, any game req's?Yay for less heartburn and fewer hiccups! Same thing happened here and ds seems so much more normal than dd. Can't get a useful read on reactiveness, though, seeing as we're all a swirling mess all the time anyway. Sigh.

That's encouraging. I can only hope that this babe will be less reaction than DD. I'm not sure I can handle 2 kids with only a handful of foods each.

We really only do the Wii Fit stuff. We thought we'd be playing all sorts of games, and then realized how frickin expensive the games are after we bought it.. oops. But the Wii Fit package has some fun games that are somewhat physical too (some more than others), so I like that. At least we're not just sitting on the couch playing games. Makes me feel a little more productive. orngtongue.gif
Quote:

Oh, and what I meant to say--Jessica, I got emails today that our samples were received in the mail.  I think DH dropped them in a mailbox last Saturday, not sure if it was before or after the pick-up time.  Oh, and I guess I forgot where they were shipping, but TX to wherever seems to be a week.  Now that my brain's not toast, I need to try again with DS, or just call and order the darn swab for him. 

I just got an email today! I called the post office on Thursday, and she was supposed to call the PO in LA and find out if they knew where is was. Suddenly, the next day, it got delivered. So obviously it was sitting there for a while... it should have been there a week ago!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page