Mothering Forum banner

Delicious December 2010 Chat

20K views 769 replies 22 participants last post by  WuWei 
#1 ·
If I start the new Chat thread, that means I don't have to catch up on all the stuff I missed in November, right? Cause I am really behind and the rest of the week is looking similar.

Come one, come all, to chat fun! And make sure to bring your questions over if you didn't get November answers (tsfairy, I know that's you cause I saw one directed at me but I'm throwing in the towel on that thread and this week is crazy busy).

Um... am I supposed to do more to start the new thread? I can't remember, today was long--not bad, most of it was actually very nice, but when I don't get home with the kids til almost 8pm, it's a long day.

This is the last page of November's thread, for all of you who have missed questions that need some input. Just remember, everybody else's brains are fried with the holidays just like yours, and ask and ask til someone gets the
hammer.gif

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1276089/nimbly-gnoshing-our-way-through-november-chat/880

See less See more
#627 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post

Re baking soda for alkalinizing, I thought taking baking soda was a hangable offense in terms of having healthy stomach acid levels.
That's probably why Dr. Rapp said it wasn't for all the time, just for emergencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

On a different, sorta gross note... my younger dog's digestive tract is not terribly happy. His weird anal gland issue seems to be flaring again and a) I don't have any kimchee made (not sure it would help but it seems like a better balance of bacteria in his gut wouldn't hurt), and b) I don't have any kali mur cell salt which is what I think he needs. I'm ordering tonight, that and other stuff from that site, but it's just frustrating to be problem-solving someone else.

Though I think we may be at a stable, happy place with the kids--DD's stomach and head are mostly ok when I feed her right, DS is only a little extra-energetic when we're chelating and extra time at the park would help quite a bit with that, and I am just over a month from done with the heavy pills for me. And I think each round with the kids is making a good chunk of progress--I'm not seeing changes each time, but the overall trend for them has been good since the summer and I know I've had a lot of rounds where I could only see I was making progress because of my vitC need--I felt fine on-round, it's just that steady, ongoing progress.
Is your dog on a raw diet or regular dog food? Have you been to www.dogtorj.com. Really interesting reading. But it's quite possible that your dog has food intolerances too. I thought it was kind of funny that my dog had them too. It's great that you're seeing progress with the chelation and that the end is in sight. I'm waiting until after my next surgery then I'm going to start. All my stuff is just sitting in the linen closet with all the rest of our meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Also, caution with dosing baking soda as it is quite powerful and our blood ph needs to be in a very narrow range for health. I do think alkalizing the body has benefits for allergies and food intolerances, though. Eating more fruits and veggies is the natural way to do that.

However, for food intolerances, taking baking soda just after eating a culprit food could impair digestion (due to the antacid effect), which I can't see how that would help ongoing.

Pat
I still haven't figured out why it would work. I just remembered reading it. Never tried it though. But it would be nice to have something in the arsenal when someone was reacting and you needed it over quickly.

I made sorghum onion rolls from the Book of Yum blog last night, and they were excellent. We ate a bunch of them last night, and this morning I fried them (cut in half) with palm shortening, and they were good that way too. I only used half the amount of yeast called for because I ran out, and they still rose well and had lots of nooks and crannies like REAL bread. And no egg. So we could all eat them. And they didn't take that long either. I feel like baking again today (blizzards do that to me) but might make soup from Julia Child's book instead. Or maybe both. Who knows.

DS got the lip rash again on the 24th. His last one was November 19 that we couldn't find a cause for. The osteo said to mark it and see if there was a consistent pattern to it, and if it was, it's lyme die-off. So I'm marking them in my calendar. Interesting if it is, since that's also a food intolerance symptom for him. So maybe it is all tied together.

#628 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

Quote:

On a different, sorta gross note... my younger dog's digestive tract is not terribly happy. His weird anal gland issue seems to be flaring again and a) I don't have any kimchee made (not sure it would help but it seems like a better balance of bacteria in his gut wouldn't hurt), and b) I don't have any kali mur cell salt which is what I think he needs. I'm ordering tonight, that and other stuff from that site, but it's just frustrating to be problem-solving someone else.

Though I think we may be at a stable, happy place with the kids--DD's stomach and head are mostly ok when I feed her right, DS is only a little extra-energetic when we're chelating and extra time at the park would help quite a bit with that, and I am just over a month from done with the heavy pills for me. And I think each round with the kids is making a good chunk of progress--I'm not seeing changes each time, but the overall trend for them has been good since the summer and I know I've had a lot of rounds where I could only see I was making progress because of my vitC need--I felt fine on-round, it's just that steady, ongoing progress.
Is your dog on a raw diet or regular dog food? Have you been to www.dogtorj.com. Really interesting reading. But it's quite possible that your dog has food intolerances too. I thought it was kind of funny that my dog had them too. It's great that you're seeing progress with the chelation and that the end is in sight. I'm waiting until after my next surgery then I'm going to start. All my stuff is just sitting in the linen closet with all the rest of our meds.

DS got the lip rash again on the 24th. His last one was November 19 that we couldn't find a cause for. The osteo said to mark it and see if there was a consistent pattern to it, and if it was, it's lyme die-off. So I'm marking them in my calendar. Interesting if it is, since that's also a food intolerance symptom for him. So maybe it is all tied together.
Wish I could break that into 2 separate quotes. Oh, I should've copied/pasted then cut out different stuff, now I remember.

I switched the dogs to a raw diet maybe 6 months ago? Well before this started, so I don't think that is the cause, and both dogs had some minor skin stuff clear up so I don't think the kibble was great for them. I haven't completely decided how I feel on the vitamin D issue--are they like sheep, with vitamin D in the oils of their fur, and they lick to get it? Read that as a hypothesis but it wasn't cited as solid. The dogs do seem to want to go outside more often than they used to, so I'm letting them, but mostly because they're old and it makes them happy.

Either way--the first treatment was a round of antibiotics which helped some, except it left the dog with really stinky gas and the swelling never went completely away, it just fluctuates. He needs kimchee--not authentic, no, but if he were eating rotted meat, there'd be bacteria, and in his delicate state of lazy domestication, I'm not going to start leaving meat out to rot to get him more authentic bacteria.

Be interesting to see if the lip rash continues--you said other, typical food reaction stuff wasn't happening at the same time, right? Weird that we all live in a world where this can be seen as progress. Do you have some vit/min supps for yourself--good B complex, a multi-mineral, some B12? IMO you should have that before you start chelating. It's interesting--lately I can see that I've allowed myself to get a bit marginal and some of the rounds lately are drawing me down and causing problems that I think are really just nutritional. But you seem in sort of a fragile state with all the worry and the surgery and the meds and all, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to rest and recover. And then talk to us about how you're going to chelate before jumping in with that product you got from the otherwise wonderful osteo (no bias there, right?
winky.gif
).

#630 ·
Quote:

A week of craziness? I am hoping for a quiet week, DH on vacation, a DO visit for me, another for the kids, but nothing else scheduled except a mom's night out/registration night for our co-op (get our money and rosters for the activities we're leading). And once it was hilarious--we sounded just like those weird homeschoolers who keep their kids away from society's influence, except instead of worrying about the stereotypical stuff like drugs or evolution content in schools (which our group is split on), it was avoiding the vaccination and antibiotics discussion in the local health museum. I was dying trying not to fall off my chair laughing at us.

Okay, I am going to grab one of my new books and sit in bed and read. And eat (boxed) cake. DH followed my suggestions (I gave him a list) and so I have a huge pile of books to read, I am thrilled.
Yeah, week of craziness. With my sister in town, there's way too much we want to do, and then we invited my Aunt to visit for a couple days, since we're her only family other than my quickly aging grandma and they're all the way in Houston. Dh is off, which is awesome, but the extended family isn't in kid mode, as much as they try to be. And dh doesn't quite get how important it is to really stick with dd's cues when we're trying to do so much. So we're jam packed until the new year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Re baking soda for alkalinizing, I thought taking baking soda was a hangable offense in terms of having healthy stomach acid levels.
I think the difference is with meals vs away from meals.
Yeah that! The catch is taking it at least a couple hours before and after meals is tricky with kids and 'grazing'. Taking it at bedtime, unless you ate within a few hours, would probably be easiest for the alkalizing benefits.

But, I wouldn't take it for "allergies" on an ongoing basis. I found the suggestion about reversing acute food allergy issues with baking soda fascinating though. Seems it must keep the food from being fully digested, perhaps? I had not read/heard of that intervention before. Or perhaps, there is some inflammatory suppressive effect of the altered ph?

Also, caution with dosing baking soda as it is quite powerful and our blood ph needs to be in a very narrow range for health. I do think alkalizing the body has benefits for allergies and food intolerances, though. Eating more fruits and veggies is the natural way to do that.

However, for food intolerances, taking baking soda just after eating a culprit food could impair digestion (due to the antacid effect), which I can't see how that would help ongoing.

Pat
Here's what I'm experiencing... Starting after Thanksgiving (with a soy exposure, and also vit A supplementing), I've been reacting to *something* and it's been steadily getting worse. I'm worried about identifying new triggers, or trace exposure or who knows what. PB suggested measuring pH during a reaction (to cell salts), thinking my body was just overcompensating and swinging all over the place. Anyway, I finally found my pH paper and tested, and my pH is way off. And baking soda/lemon juice totally improved my mood. I wasn't expecting it to do that at all. In that same timespan, I stopped taking my (low dose) cell salts, and my milk/letdown went all wonky, just like before when I *started* at a normal dose. And now I'm back on the salts and off of vit A (and upped my glutathione) and mood and letdown and milk quality seem to be better, finally. pH hasn't changed much, but it was off the charts, so maybe it's just sneaking back? There are a few other things going on that I can't explain (ds spitting up) but cell salts, pH and vitamin A appear to be doing some sort of dance in my body.

What I'm wondering is if pH going off is part of the *mechanism* of a reaction. As in, whatever trigger causes pH to go acidic, and then that acidity is what causes other symptoms. For me right now, I'm guessing it's cell salts and vitamin A affecting my mineral balance (blood/bones as opposed to cal/mag, etc) which is affecting my pH, which is making me *feel* like I'm wildly reacting. Trust me, I'll be watching everything I can for the next few days to try and get a clearer picture! But it's also more (and clearer) evidence for me that the cell salts are really doing something.

#631 ·
Quote:

I switched the dogs to a raw diet maybe 6 months ago? Well before this started, so I don't think that is the cause, and both dogs had some minor skin stuff clear up so I don't think the kibble was great for them. I haven't completely decided how I feel on the vitamin D issue--are they like sheep, with vitamin D in the oils of their fur, and they lick to get it? Read that as a hypothesis but it wasn't cited as solid. The dogs do seem to want to go outside more often than they used to, so I'm letting them, but mostly because they're old and it makes them happy.

Either way--the first treatment was a round of antibiotics which helped some, except it left the dog with really stinky gas and the swelling never went completely away, it just fluctuates. He needs kimchee--not authentic, no, but if he were eating rotted meat, there'd be bacteria, and in his delicate state of lazy domestication, I'm not going to start leaving meat out to rot to get him more authentic bacteria.

Be interesting to see if the lip rash continues--you said other, typical food reaction stuff wasn't happening at the same time, right? Weird that we all live in a world where this can be seen as progress. Do you have some vit/min supps for yourself--good B complex, a multi-mineral, some B12? IMO you should have that before you start chelating. It's interesting--lately I can see that I've allowed myself to get a bit marginal and some of the rounds lately are drawing me down and causing problems that I think are really just nutritional. But you seem in sort of a fragile state with all the worry and the surgery and the meds and all, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to rest and recover. And then talk to us about how you're going to chelate before jumping in with that product you got from the otherwise wonderful osteo (no bias there, right?
winky.gif
).
I hadn't heard anything about Vitamin D and dogs. Since mine doesn't have fur, I'm assuming she gets Vitamin D the same way we do, through the sun (she tans). That's interesting about leaving the food out to get bacteria on it... hadn't heard that theory before...

I know I know, you didn't like his chelating protocol. I have DS on B vitamins again and I've been doing it off and on. But I feel like I should do something about it, I just don't feel like I can do it right now with all the rest going on. Besides, I have metal in my body right now in the expanders, and I don't know what kind it is (probably should have asked) so I wouldn't want to chelate while those are there. But I figure I'll wait until after the 2nd surgery, and recover a little, then start chelating, maybe over the summer. I switched back to the herbal formula instead of abx for the lyme when I was having trouble swallowing pills, and it's supposed to be gentler, and effective, so at least I'm doing something about the lyme too. It's hard having so many friggin' health problems at the same time!! Can't the fates be gentler on me?

I talked to one of my high school classmates who does web design. She's going to look at my blog and quote me on fixing it, or if it's unfixable, making me a new one. DH told me to look into it because it was doing people some good, and I enjoy it. So that was nice. We'll see how much it costs though before commiting to anything.

It finally stopped snowing. We probably have less than a foot, but it's still blowing and drifting like crazy. The kids are outside playing again. When they come in, I have to make 3 different hot cocoas (Swiss Miss for DD1, organic fair trade cocoa mix with almond milk for DD2, and rice milk with hot fudge sweetened with fruit juice for DS). I should make a batch of marshmallows just for cocoa!!

#632 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theloose View Post

What I'm wondering is if pH going off is part of the *mechanism* of a reaction. As in, whatever trigger causes pH to go acidic, and then that acidity is what causes other symptoms. For me right now, I'm guessing it's cell salts and vitamin A affecting my mineral balance (blood/bones as opposed to cal/mag, etc) which is affecting my pH, which is making me *feel* like I'm wildly reacting. Trust me, I'll be watching everything I can for the next few days to try and get a clearer picture! But it's also more (and clearer) evidence for me that the cell salts are really doing something.
I've seen food reactions deplete mag in DS, for me these days the food reactions are a much slower build-up usually--though I got my carpal tunnel symptoms after a time period when I was abusing my body in several ways--sneaking gluten and dairy, drinking soda, not enough sleep. And while I fixed the carpal tunnel-like pains with cell salts, I later realized that I think it was mag deficiency. I don't know that I've ever seen acute calcium deficiency, but somehow I absorb enough mag from my cal/mag/other stuff supp that I rarely have to supp stand-alone mag for me. I give it to the kids because it seems to work but I don't often need it.

So it sounds at least similar to what you're experiencing, and it seems like lots of vit A could affect those minerals in similar ways. I avoid taking A when I know I'm going to be in a tenuous position re: minerals.

#634 ·
Update: :(

I now have two in my left kidney. They are big! 9-10mm and they won't pass by themselves so, as of right now, we hope that they stay still and after birth, i will probably need surgery to get rid of them. I'm hoping that with pain management we can wait until birth. I'm not sure what they will do if the stones creates an infection or kidney failure. I really don't want it to get to that point.All my paperwork from the past 2 days at the Er are being send to an urologist and hopefully they will call me asap and tell me what could be our game plan .

#635 ·
Quote:

Quote:

I've seen food reactions deplete mag in DS, for me these days the food reactions are a much slower build-up usually--though I got my carpal tunnel symptoms after a time period when I was abusing my body in several ways--sneaking gluten and dairy, drinking soda, not enough sleep. And while I fixed the carpal tunnel-like pains with cell salts, I later realized that I think it was mag deficiency. I don't know that I've ever seen acute calcium deficiency, but somehow I absorb enough mag from my cal/mag/other stuff supp that I rarely have to supp stand-alone mag for me. I give it to the kids because it seems to work but I don't often need it.

So it sounds at least similar to what you're experiencing, and it seems like lots of vit A could affect those minerals in similar ways. I avoid taking A when I know I'm going to be in a tenuous position re: minerals.
I realized after I posted that it's probably too simplistic. But if pH being off is just another way that reactions can happen (cause we all have various symptoms to various triggers, no?), and being able to identify what our own symptoms of pH being off feels like, it sounds like a great way to kill a reaction. Baking soda baths (or ingested) is supposed to kill a sals reaction, too. So some things throw off pH, some deplete mag, some... mess with glutamates/calcium channels? Some are actual immune responses. I bet there's really only a handful of these mechanisms but when you combine them in various ways and put them in different bodies, you get a huge broad spectrum of symptoms. Wouldn't that be nice?

#636 ·
Arg. Getting really frustrated. My eczema is flaring like mad, and I have NO CLUE what it's from. Maybe eggs.. but I haven't increased or decreased my egg consumption over the last 2 weeks, and the eczema almost went away completely and now is back in full force. wth?!

I'm sitting here going through our mortgage refinance paperwork, trying to figure out if we're getting screwed. This stuff is way too complicated.

Million things to do today, but I'm still super sick. Stupid cyber-sickness!! Sorry it's caught you too tsfairy.
greensad.gif

#637 ·
Quote:

I realized after I posted that it's probably too simplistic. But if pH being off is just another way that reactions can happen (cause we all have various symptoms to various triggers, no?), and being able to identify what our own symptoms of pH being off feels like, it sounds like a great way to kill a reaction. Baking soda baths (or ingested) is supposed to kill a sals reaction, too. So some things throw off pH, some deplete mag, some... mess with glutamates/calcium channels? Some are actual immune responses. I bet there's really only a handful of these mechanisms but when you combine them in various ways and put them in different bodies, you get a huge broad spectrum of symptoms. Wouldn't that be nice?
What I was trying to say, and I'm not sure if I was clear, is that minerals being depleted is one result of a food reaction for us (me and the kids), and supplementing minerals affects my pH, so it seems like just different aspects of the same phenomenon (not that all food reactions are this one, but this seems like the three men describing the elephant--one is blind, one is deaf, I forgot what the other one was). So we've got a few different ways to dampen our reactions, just depending on what we have on-hand and what we've seen work for each of us, individually, in the past. I think I have an intolerance for something in soda--I don't think it's just the strict amount of sugar, it's more than that--but I can dampen the effect by taking bioplasma and probably nat phos would help if I remembered it. Doesn't make it good for me--the more I pay attention, the more it feels weird the same way chocolate does (but other sweet things don't necessarily do the same thing in what seems like comparable levels of sugar/sweetness)--but I can plan to indulge and lessen the impact.

#639 ·
Not sure. I've never had any winter-type eczema before though.

GAH. I had a waffle sitting on the counter since yesterday (to dry for bread crumbs)... and DD just got on the counter and ate the whole thing while I was working. Her cheeks are flaming red, and she's already gassy. Should be a fun day.
greensad.gif
I really thought it would be safe, because she had a bite of my waffle not too long ago and ended up feeling horrible, so we had a talk about it and decided that she shouldn't eat waffles anymore (her words) and I had already told her this was a "yucky" waffle that was not for eating. I don't even know how to block off my kitchen because of the weird layout. rawr.

eta: AND- I'm getting the distinct feeling that we ARE getting screwed, because the mortgage people are not answering my questions about what the fees are for that we still owe them. What a day. Now I have to go figure out how to install a kitchen faucet, because DP never got around to doing it on his 3-day weekend. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR.

#640 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post

I now have two in my left kidney. They are big! 9-10mm and they won't pass by themselves so, as of right now, we hope that they stay still and after birth, i will probably need surgery to get rid of them. I'm hoping that with pain management we can wait until birth. I'm not sure what they will do if the stones creates an infection or kidney failure. I really don't want it to get to that point.All my paperwork from the past 2 days at the Er are being send to an urologist and hopefully they will call me asap and tell me what could be our game plan .
Yikes!! I hope you can figure it out. I don't know what's big and small in relation to kidney stones. How far do you have left to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Not sure. I've never had any winter-type eczema before though.

GAH. I had a waffle sitting on the counter since yesterday (to dry for bread crumbs)... and DD just got on the counter and ate the whole thing while I was working. Her cheeks are flaming red, and she's already gassy. Should be a fun day.
greensad.gif
I really thought it would be safe, because she had a bite of my waffle not too long ago and ended up feeling horrible, so we had a talk about it and decided that she shouldn't eat waffles anymore (her words) and I had already told her this was a "yucky" waffle that was not for eating. I don't even know how to block off my kitchen because of the weird layout. rawr.

eta: AND- I'm getting the distinct feeling that we ARE getting screwed, because the mortgage people are not answering my questions about what the fees are for that we still owe them. What a day. Now I have to go figure out how to install a kitchen faucet, because DP never got around to doing it on his 3-day weekend. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR.
Bummer Jess. For a while when DD2 was little, only safe foods for her were in the cupboards or on the counter. All the food that she couldn't have were in the locked pantry or on the highest shelf of the fridge/freezer. I tried a fridge lock but she figured that out in 10 minutes. That's the only advice I have. When we refinanced it was pretty easy.

#641 ·
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post

Yikes!! I hope you can figure it out. I don't know what's big and small in relation to kidney stones. How far do you have left to go?
A kidney stone under 5mm has a good chance of passing thru. It may hurt badly but they pass, Any stone that is 5mm to 8mm there is only a slight chance of them passing and it hurts lots. They may need do to a procedure. Now anything from 9mm and over needs surgery of some kind. Mine are 9-10mm so I will need surgery at some point. If they don't move until after birth, then I can get them remove without worrying too much about my baby and the effects of surgery. I will even be able to nurse before and right after surgery.

Here's a link that expalin it better than me. :)

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/455830-overview

I'm 30wks pg, so 10wks give or take a few wks.

#642 ·
Hello Ladies! We had a nice, quiet and relaxing holiday over here, so much so that I never got out of my pajamas, and we ate leftovers for dinner! Kids were happy with their "big" presents - DD got a bow with arrows and a target to shoot at, and DS got a sand and water table. Both woke up at 5 am, but as their stockings were in their rooms, they got up and opened the presents in their stockings together, played with the stuff they got, and didn't get us out of bed until 7 am, yay! But needless to day, DS went down for a nap around 11 and didn't get up until about 3! And given DS went down for a nap, and as the weather was gorgeous on Christmas, we spent a few hours outside in the backyard (yes, I went outside in my pj's!) and enjoyed the weather while my DD (and *ahem* DH) shot off arrows. Great day all around, I must say. And finally tonight, we ate our Christmas dinner - and I made a pretty good dish of GF/DF scalloped potatoes (of course I'm the only one who really liked it - my DH said they were "okay", my DD didn't like them, and DS said they were yummy but them promptly smooshed them in his hands instead of eating them).

Add us to the list of cyber sick, although pretty mild - DS and I have a mild cold, but have been using cell salts pretty successfully to help the process along.

And what present did I get that was my "favorite"? That would be have 2+ days of (mostly) an even keeled, happy go lucky DD - she has been a lot of fun to be around and do stuff with! And that hasn't happened since, well...not really ever. The changes we have made diet and supps wise really feel like they have been worth it, if these results continue!

Sandrine, I'm so sorry that you having to deal with painful kidney stones. My BIL just went through that, and after both laser treatment and surgery, he is feeling better. I hope you are able to manage to hold any procedure off until after you give birth, while being able to manage the pain sufficiently.

CS, I had what I thought was ezcema, but my ND said it look like psorasis, on my elbows for about 2+ months. Not sure what I did to have it go away, but I don't have it any more. I did up my zinc and selenium, and was already taking EFAs, but don't know that any of those are the reason that it went away. But the healing could be related to me starting Wobenzym (I know, enzymes, so not your thing!
hide.gif
). Not that any of this rambling helps you in the least. But I did want you to know that I know that it sucks bigtime! I used to get it in the wintertime a lot when I was in my teens living in upstate NY, but hadn't really had it since, until this fall. I DO have this small patch of dry skin on my back, right below my bra line. REEEAAALLLLLYYYY annoying, as I can't really scratch it well myself!!!!!

#643 ·
Becky, you sound like you had a pretty good holiday! I stayed in my pjs for 2 days with the blizzard here. Out of curiosity, where in upstate NY did you grow up?

If anyone is wondering about Sierra Mist Natural, it's cane sugar (not beet) and the citric acid is corn derived, which I figured. Now since DS, DD2 and I have all been fine with it, do I just stick with citric acid for a while, or do I move to something else like dextrose, maltodextrin, or corn tortillas or tortilla chips (which I really miss)?

DD2 burned her hand on the woodstove yesterday dressing for outdoor play (didn't tell me until she came in, and immediately put cold water on it then ice. Ended up giving her Motrin so she'd sleep because she said it hurt so much. Put on aloe before bed, and let her keep her hand on the ice pack until she fell asleep. She came into bed with me around 2am, and she asked for a newer ice pack, so it must have really been bothering her. It started blistering right before bed (after a few hours), and I put more aloe on it this morning. Then she tried to open the rice container (not Tupperware but some kind of plastic) with her mouth (don't ask why, she's 5) and got her lip caught in it. So she came to me crying with the container stuck to her lip. Poor kid. They're back out in the snow. It's supposed to rain on new year's so it'll be gone soon. Still windy and about 25F so I'm not going out there except with the dog. I want to bake today but I'm out of yeast... maybe chocolate chip cookies?

#645 ·
Quote:

Sandrine, can't they shatter them into smaller pieces using sound waves?
They could if I wasn't pregnant. :( That's the biggest hurdle. They can't do much until after the baby is born. Hopefully the pain meds works and it helps until I give birth. Then they could do that or go and retrieve them. That's a simple surgery and I can still nurse before and after. Also hopefully the stones don't move and cause damage.

i'm still waiting to hear from the urologist.

#646 ·
Quote:

Becky, you sound like you had a pretty good holiday! I stayed in my pjs for 2 days with the blizzard here. Out of curiosity, where in upstate NY did you grow up?
Well, the area I grew up may not be what some consider to be the "official" upstate (some consider the more northeastern part of NY to be that?), I lived closer to western NY, between Rochester and Syracuse (about 35-45 minutes from either city), near Lake Ontario, for the first 18 years of my life. And man, the snow that the East Coast/New York/New England area has received recently - I DON'T MISS IT AT ALL!!!!!
duck.gif
Although our warm, really nice weather is ending today - we are going to get a bunch of wind/rain/even a little flake or two, followed by cold weather, with maybe hard freezes a couple of nights *cold, shivering smiley*

#647 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaksie68 View Post

Well, the area I grew up may not be what some consider to be the "official" upstate (some consider the more northeastern part of NY to be that?), I lived closer to western NY, between Rochester and Syracuse (about 35-45 minutes from either city), near Lake Ontario, for the first 18 years of my life. And man, the snow that the East Coast/New York/New England area has received recently - I DON'T MISS IT AT ALL!!!!!
duck.gif
Although our warm, really nice weather is ending today - we are going to get a bunch of wind/rain/even a little flake or two, followed by cold weather, with maybe hard freezes a couple of nights *cold, shivering smiley*
Technically anything north of NYC is considered upstate, which I don't really think is right. I mean Brewster, Poughkeepsie, any of those suburbs of the city, are still downstate to me. Rochester and Syracuse usually get a LOT of snow (my mother and step-sister both went there for college) and I had friends in Rochester for a while. I have one brother who moved to CA and one to FL, so you can see how much my family liked the New England weather.

I'm making chocolate chip cookies. I didn't write any baking powder in the recipe, which seems strange, so I added some. I wish I could check my blog and see what it was when I put it up there. I'm still getting a quote on someone in the business fixing mine.

I have chicken breasts and no idea what to make for dinner... any ideas? I'm mirabella-ed and marsala-ed out.

#648 ·
View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaksie68 View Post

duck.gif
Technically anything north of NYC is considered upstate, which I don't really think is right. I mean Brewster, Poughkeepsie, any of those suburbs of the city, are still downstate to me. Rochester and Syracuse usually get a LOT of snow (my mother and step-sister both went there for college) and I had friends in Rochester for a while. I have one brother who moved to CA and one to FL, so you can see how much my family liked the New England weather.

I'm making chocolate chip cookies. I didn't write any baking powder in the recipe, which seems strange, so I added some. I wish I could check my blog and see what it was when I put it up there. I'm still getting a quote on someone in the business fixing mine.

I have chicken breasts and no idea what to make for dinner... any ideas? I'm mirabella-ed and marsala-ed out.
I know that whenever I said I was from upstate,and then telling them where more specifically I was from, I sometimes got a funny look like I didn't know where upstate really WAS! I remember getting lots of snow when I was growing up. Then I moved away to MD for college (away from lots of snow), then to WA (even farther away from lots of snow, but lots of RAIN), then on to AZ (where there is virtually no snow, and the rain is infrequent, but often comes down like cats and dogs). We went back to NY/MD for Christmas a couple of years ago, and it snowed a lot when we were in NY - my DD was in heaven, and was out playing in it as often as she could get away with.

As far as ideas for dinner with chicken - how 'bout nuggets? The chicken nuggets recipe you posted here a while ago has become a big favorite in my house!
yummy.gif

#649 ·
I was thinking about doing the nuggets again, but I just did them last week. Either way, I have to make something different for DS, unless I decide to test him on chicken... nah. I guess he'll get leftover cassoulet. I'm running low on veggies so I can't do a stirfry. And yesterday was rice day anyway. I really want pasta, but again, rice day was yesterday, and DS isn't a big fan of us having lots of rice when he can't have it.

#650 ·
Quote:

I was thinking about doing the nuggets again, but I just did them last week. Either way, I have to make something different for DS, unless I decide to test him on chicken... nah. I guess he'll get leftover cassoulet. I'm running low on veggies so I can't do a stirfry. And yesterday was rice day anyway. I really want pasta, but again, rice day was yesterday, and DS isn't a big fan of us having lots of rice when he can't have it.
Geez, I really don't envy you, but I know whatever you do, it'll be yummy! GL! Don't know what we are having for dinner tonight either, but you have to decide sooner.

#651 ·
A friend of mine locally is having a tough time since her third child's birth a few weeks ago--the one I mentioned with very, very fast labors. She's sick again, recovering slowly, and since she lives 40 minutes away, I can't just pop over quickly, though we've been over a couple times for longer visits. She asked me for supplement recs, she's feeling nutritionally drained, and I feel surprisingly helpless. I know things that are likely good for her, but will they stop her cycle of getting sick? I don't know. She has health stuff like mine and not a huge budget to work with. Zinc, D, maybe B12? And at least a basic multi. Thoughts? She has bioplasma and tonic E.

And DS is seeming a bit loud and sometimes angry--is it a 4-year old thing, a restless/not enough running around outside 4-year old thing, or something else? I really don't know--our rhythm is weird in December in general and I've had times when my energy's been really low (though my body temp today is 98.2 so that's not too shabby), so, well, we'll just plod on through the winter. And we've had a lot of sugar lately, which could play in in a few ways.

About half the books I put on my list (the one I gave to DH that included URLs and prices) were about meditation and intentional living and parenting... not exactly easy reading, but I think I'm at a good point for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.