Delicious December 2010 Chat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 770 Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If I start the new Chat thread, that means I don't have to catch up on all the stuff I missed in November, right?  Cause I am really behind and the rest of the week is looking similar.

Come one, come all, to chat fun!  And make sure to bring your questions over if you didn't get November answers (tsfairy, I know that's you cause I saw one directed at me but I'm throwing in the towel on that thread and this week is crazy busy). 

Um... am I supposed to do more to start the new thread?  I can't remember, today was long--not bad, most of it was actually very nice, but when I don't get home with the kids til almost 8pm, it's a long day.

This is the last page of November's thread, for all of you who have missed questions that need some input.  Just remember, everybody else's brains are fried with the holidays just like yours, and ask and ask til someone gets the hammer.gif

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1276089/nimbly-gnoshing-our-way-through-november-chat/880

#2 of 770 Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Huh. Just found another annoying thing about the new forum. You can't quote from another thread.

I wanted to get the 23andMe kit off as soon as possible, before it got buried under all the stuff on my desk. orngtongue.gif DD was pretty cooperative with it (for about 1/2 an hour), but she just kept spitting out loads of bubbles and not much liquid. So it took a while..... But it's done, I mailed it today. So now I will try to wait patiently. orngbiggrin.gif

I ate sushi today. With soy sauce. bag.gif I went to the hfs to look for the coconut aminos, but then got distracted when DD kept grabbing all the bags of ginger off the shelf... oh well. It was delicious.

So... I thought of something yesterday. DD's sucrase was on the low edge, which made total sense to me since she can't digest any grains or fruits. And then I realized that she eats that candied ginger ALL.THE.TIME. which has cane sugar in it! So now I'm not sure that the low sucrase is a problem. blah.

She still seems to be "off" and more sensitive since the stupid scopes. greensad.gif I'm losing patience with her, because she's just been off the wall hyper, and agressive, and crazy. And she CAN.NOT. keep her hands, or anything else, out of her mouth. It almost seems like an uncontrollable tic at this point- it's like multiple times a minute. greensad.gif Thoughts? Her zinc was in the low end of the normal range, and I've given her a little zinc over the last week with no noticeable difference. Not sure what else to look at there.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 770 Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

How much extra zinc have you given?  Let's see... when the kids were sick last fall, I had to give extra zinc for a few weeks to see a difference.  At times, for DS it's taken longer, but it's hard to figure out how similar our kids would be. 

Bummer that it won't carry the quotes over.  And I realized, the way it closes the smiley box after you choose 1 smiley means we won't see lines of dancing veggies or other fun stuff anymore (unless they can change that).  This new platform better be way the heck better for the admins because so far, I'm not seeing great improvements for us users.

Shannon, I keep forgetting to go over to the wiki page to continue the discussion that you probably responded to me in, and then I dropped off the face of the planet.  But I have 2 busy days in a row and I should be in bed, so it's not tonight.  I just want some downtime.  3 days in a row busy is bad-bad for me.  Argh (but fun stuff, not icky stuff). 

#4 of 770 Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 PM

no ideas but :hug cs

ds3 doesn't let ,e type while nursing- slaps my hands haha

fw (aka m2s), I just got them a mini muffin tin, a mini springform pan, mini rolling pin, kid's oven mitt, mini prep ("mixing") bowl, mini whisk, mini bread pan, small spatula, small wooden spoon, and (toaster oven) baking sheet. All of that was just over $25 ($34 with shipping) from a site called "Country Kitchen SweetArt". Shipping may be less for you since I think they're in NYS.

I spent about $50 on costume stuff at GrimReapers, plus another $10-15 at Amazon, but it's mostly hats and accessories (plastic stuff :bag). I spent another $50 there for stocking stuffers too (also plastic, but metal harmonicas!). I need to look for some inexpensive jackets etc to round it (the dress up trunk) out, but figure this is a great start.

And speaking of the dress up trunk and cooking stuff! We went by the 2nd hand store this evening and found a trunk for $19.99 plus a small pot (cookable) and small frying pan (TFal :gross) for $3 each. Bought them plus some game system DH wanted.. and it all rang up to under $20! Apparently everything we bought was 1/2 off! :joy

Now I'm going to have to figure out baggies of mix for the baking! I'll try Googling it first though... "gluten free easy bake recipes" maybe?

eta: ITA about the changes, tanya!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 770 Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 PM

Not a whole lot of zinc... I just have tablets, and I wasn't sure if she would be ok with all the fillers in them.

Oh- there's discussion on the wiki? Can you subscribe to that like a thread? Can you link me so that I can find it again??

#6 of 770 Old 12-01-2010, 11:50 PM

(Third time is a charm right??? I wrote this and then cleared it. Why is there a clear button. I pressed it by accident. And then what I wrote was there but the site told me i didn't write anything and then it was gone. UGH)

Happy December everyone!!!!!

DD1's b-day is tody. She is 8yrs old.

DD3 is feeling better. She is getting deaf though aka her ears are plugged but that just means i have to flush them out again. I'm doing so so. I'm still coughing alot. :(

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#7 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 AM

wiki:

http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/genetics-and-detoxification
discussion:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1281909/page-organization

don't worry, tanya, im busy too.

jr, that's such a great idea!  I think it might be time for me to figure out my own flour mix, and dd loves following instructions/recipes.  Maybe I'll do a little picture cookbook for her, in pictures.  I think I'd do recipes for pancakes, muffins, cookies, cakes.  And maybe fruit salad, salmon salad, peanut butter crackers, ants on a log, etc.  And do it in something like a binder with page protectors   Last night's 'recipe' for pancakes included a cup of water, half a satsuma, a cup and a half of sugar, and the egg straight from the hen house at the farm we visited yesterday.  Poor, poor egg :bawl

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#8 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 08:31 AM

subbing.  Not much to say.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#9 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theloose View Post

wiki:

discussion:

jr, that's such a great idea!  I think it might be time for me to figure out my own flour mix, and dd loves following instructions/recipes.  Maybe I'll do a little picture cookbook for her, in pictures.  I think I'd do recipes for pancakes, muffins, cookies, cakes.  And maybe fruit salad, salmon salad, peanut butter crackers, ants on a log, etc.  And do it in something like a binder with page protectors   Last night's 'recipe' for pancakes included a cup of water, half a satsuma, a cup and a half of sugar, and the egg straight from the hen house at the farm we visited yesterday.  Poor, poor egg :bawl

Thanks, but it wasn't mine! :D Amy gets the credit for it. And you always just gotta take it a step beyond awesome, don't you? :love

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#10 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 10:00 AM

I love the idea of a picture cookbook. DS is so good at following the directions on his Lego sets which are numbered and pictorial, with no text. Ooh brainstorming all the fun recipes I can give him.

Quote:

wiki:

discussion:

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#11 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 10:10 AM

You do what you can.  We don't have a toaster oven, nor a place to put one.  And mixes aren't likely to happen here.

My brain is fried.  I'm totally reacting to something.  Probably the in n out fries that dd insisted on that I knew i shouldn't eat.  I'm so sick of this, when will I just get my act together and stop eating unsafe food!?

#12 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 AM

privateeyes.gif

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#13 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss_understood View Post

Quote:

wiki:

discussion:

Thanks, but it wasn't mine! :D Amy gets the credit for it. And you always just gotta take it a step beyond awesome, don't you? :love

lol - I agree she does.  I love the idea of a little cookbook.  My oldest has a store bought one, but at least 3/4 he can't eat. It would be awesome to have one that everything was accessible.

oooooh - anyone want to share ideas/recipes as they create them???

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#14 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 AM

Tanya, thanks for the new thread! My q was about the symptoms of vit D overload and associated deficiencies, especially related to thyroid function.

DS and I are still coughing and nowhere near 100% but feeling much better. Amazing how DS2 got sick but kicked it in a matter of hours, and DH barely got sick at all. 

Happy Birthday Sandrine's DD!

Theloose (I can't remember your name sorry!) I hope you're feeling better soon! 

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#15 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 AM

Moving is oh so fun!

It's not bad.  But I was leisurely moving stuff over for last couple weeks, then go sidelined by last minute work... now the crunch is on!

Will not have internet from Sat-Wed.  I may go over to the library (can walk there, yay!!)  to check in.

CS,

my DS was low in zinc but I notice the finger chewing with a food reaction

FireWithin,

I think the regular capsules (Blue Ice might be processed differently) are not recommended because the high heat required for pressing the outer coating makes the oil rancid=free radicals.  WAPF wrote about it.

#16 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

FireWithin,

I think the regular capsules (Blue Ice might be processed differently) are not recommended because the high heat required for pressing the outer coating makes the oil rancid=free radicals.  WAPF wrote about it.

I was worried about that Jane.  Maybe I will get the Blue Ice, and return the Carlson's to whole foods

Baby girl is getting cradle cap on her forehead.  The vain part of me is bummed and the mama who has worked hard is bummed.  That said, I know what I need to do to fix it.  Biotin for a quick fix, but clearly her gut needs more appropriate bugs.  I'm working harder on getting the infant probiotics that Jane recs into her.  And then good stuff into me.

#17 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWithin View Post

Quote:

Quote:

wiki:

discussion:

lol - I agree she does.  I love the idea of a little cookbook.  My oldest has a store bought one, but at least 3/4 he can't eat. It would be awesome to have one that everything was accessible.

YES YES YES  got sidelined by eating breakfast, but how awesome if we got together and pooled our kid-friendly recipes, then someone did some illustrations (I'm thinking clip art style, with a generic picture of each ingredient/instruction to get repeated throughout the whole thing) then someone could put the pages together, then as the pages are done we can put them in one spot, then everyone can just print off the pages they want.  We could get really fancy and design a cover to share too!

#18 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Baby girl is getting cradle cap on her forehead.  The vain part of me is bummed and the mama who has worked hard is bummed.  That said, I know what I need to do to fix it.  Biotin for a quick fix, but clearly her gut needs more appropriate bugs.  I'm working harder on getting the infant probiotics that Jane recs into her.  And then good stuff into me.

Stupid second quote hiding... 

I saw those early days of discovering all ds's reactions and symptoms and whatnot as sort of a treasure hunt to show me the weak spots.  I figure there was no way I'd be able to figure it all out in advance, but it was so much easier to figure out with him than with dd, for so many reasons.  I turned it into more of a game and got excited each time I found a piece to click and make things better.  He got cradle cap all over his eyes/forehead too, and the vain part of me was very bummed as well.  Now he still has residual baby acne at 8mo.  I feel total responsibility and that it reflects me and my health, but the rest of the world just sees it as part of him and not my fault at all.  I can't wrap my head around that.

#19 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

wiki:

discussion:

YES YES YES  got sidelined by eating breakfast, but how awesome if we got together and pooled our kid-friendly recipes, then someone did some illustrations (I'm thinking clip art style, with a generic picture of each ingredient/instruction to get repeated throughout the whole thing) then someone could put the pages together, then as the pages are done we can put them in one spot, then everyone can just print off the pages they want.  We could get really fancy and design a cover to share too!

i know this might be an issue for some, but i would love pictures of all of the kids eating so that we can point out that these kids also have allergies.  understand if no one else wants to though.

#20 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

Moving is oh so fun!

It's not bad.  But I was leisurely moving stuff over for last couple weeks, then go sidelined by last minute work... now the crunch is on!

Will not have internet from Sat-Wed.  I may go over to the library (can walk there, yay!!)  to check in.

CS,

my DS was low in zinc but I notice the finger chewing with a food reaction

Yeah, that's probably all it is. She certainly seems to be reacting to EVERYTHING since the procedure- even lamb and carrots are suspects now. sigh.

Yay for moving! It's such a pain, but that will be SOOOO nice when you're done!!

#21 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:

i know this might be an issue for some, but i would love pictures of all of the kids eating so that we can point out that these kids also have allergies.  understand if no one else wants to though.

Maybe we could post some pics on fb, and then we can stick them in on our own?

#22 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Lil Cookbook idea: Are we going to go with what works for us or try to make it friendly for a certain set? Top 8 free? What? :innocent

#23 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 01:59 PM

You know me, I just started a thread. orngbiggrin.gif
http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1283135/allergy-kids-cookbook#post_16088371

#24 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 03:17 PM

Just posted on FB, but I'll post here too. I just got the labs back from the hospital, and there was eosinophilic inflammation in her eophagus, colon, AND stomach... so we're actually looking at EE, EC, and EG now. sigh. No numbers though on the labs, which I was expecting. Only that the eosophagus was >50, indicating "severe" eosinophilic inflammation.

#25 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 03:26 PM

eos esophagitis, eos gastritis and eos colonitis? So eos entiritis would be the dx, I believe. :\ Crap.

Did K say that the results were admissable? Has she suggested a particular doctor for treatment?

Ai yai yai. GAH.

#26 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 03:31 PM

EGID is the main umbrella term I think- eosinophilic gastrointestinal disorders- but yeah, eosinophilic esophagitis, colitis, and gastritis.

Oh yeah- and the enzyme results say, "Results should be interpreted with caution, as <0.3g protein were recovered from the submitted specimen." (the results show an amount of each enzyme per gram of protein.) So I guess this means they didn't have enough to get a true result? GAH.

K said that they were supposed to rule out GERD before diagnosing EE, and I see where they say that in the paper you sent.. but I also have another article saying that anything >24 eos per field is most likely EE rather than GERD, which is the same reason they gave me. They said we could do a pH probe for GERD, but since her eos were >50 in her esophagus that it was REALLY unlikely to be something else. She got a name for me, and it's the guy we're already seeing. orngtongue.gif But she wasn't too impressed with the info that he's given me so far, so she found me another guy. He's through Children's though... and I hate them... so I'm just keeping that name in the back of my mind in case we need it. But the guy we're seeing now seems open to discussion, rather than just pushing meds, so I think we'll do ok with him for now.

#27 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 03:56 PM

From APFED:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Eosinophilic Enteritis (EE) A disease involving patchy infiltration of one or more layers of the esophagus, stomach, small intestine and/or large intestine with eosinophils.

Basically, it covers a diagnosis where the majority of the GI tract is involved.

*nodnod* K's information (and probably the info in the article I sent as well) is from one of the most recent conferences on EGIDs so I tend to give it fairly high credibility.

:hug

eta: I'm a spaz. Accidentally clicked the spoiler thingie instead of the quotes. :eyesroll

#28 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 03:59 PM

I would love an allergy cookbook - I will have to check out the thread.

So I made dd coco yoyo and put in some Peter Gillham cal/mag and she seems to be tolerating it well. Yay - I rather worry about calcium sometimes. BUT we went to the dentist yesterday and he said her teeth were great (she had several spots of decay from enamel defects from the malabsorption, some were filled and some we watched and they remineralized)! So I feel good about that.

Does anyone do dairy in their house with a sensitive lo? Last time we tried dairy in January or February, (unfermented goat milk) dd reacted about 36 hours later with a rash, the previous time was Purity Farms ghee last December and that was a build-up reaction over a few days, same thing, rash. Dh and I are feeling the need, mainly for calcium, and we are kind of sick of supps. Kind of sick of infusions with the cold crummy weather. Any tips on the best way to do it? I was thinking cheese would be a pretty easy bet for dh, he can just cut a chunk  off to put in his lunch. Or commercial yogurt, we have some decent grassfed selections here. I just want something fairly disposable to minimize possible reactions.

Oh CS, hugs. I hope for a miracle for your dd. Not in a god like way since I don't believe, but you know my sentiment. When I was searching EnzymesandAutism for you for enzyme info, there was one woman who said enzymes helped her EGID son a lot.

Tanya, I thought of you when I saw this book posted on Crafty Crow this morning:

Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#29 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:

From APFED:

Eosinophilic Enteritis (EE) A disease involving patchy infiltration of one or more layers of the esophagus, stomach, small intestine and/or large intestine with eosinophils.

Basically, it covers a diagnosis where the majority of the GI tract is involved.

*nodnod* K's information (and probably the info in the article I sent as well) is from one of the most recent conferences on EGIDs so I tend to give it fairly high credibility.

eta: I'm a spaz. Accidentally clicked the spoiler thingie instead of the quotes. :eyesroll

lol- I thought maybe you were just trying to make it more exciting. I have no idea where you're seeing that on their page. headscratch.gif Their EE page defines EE as "Eosinophilic esophagitis" and EGID as including: EE, EG, EGE, and EC.

Also from APFED, in regard to diagnosing EE rather than GERD: "The exact number that can be used to identify EE is not universally accepted, but most laboratories use at least 15 eosinophils in a high power field, and many require 20-25 eosinophils in a high power field to identify EE."

#30 of 770 Old 12-02-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Quote:

From APFED:

lol- I thought maybe you were just trying to make it more exciting. I have no idea where you're seeing that on their page. headscratch.gif Their EE page defines EE as "Eosinophilic esophagitis" and EGID as including: EE, EG, EGE, and EC.

Also from APFED, in regard to diagnosing EE rather than GERD: "The exact number that can be used to identify EE is not universally accepted, but most laboratories use at least 15 eosinophils in a high power field, and many require 20-25 eosinophils in a high power field to identify EE."

It's in their glossary.

Been busy. Set up a play kitchen area, which destroyed my (unused) laundry folding area so that got moved to the (presently -eta: I guess I should say PREVIOUSLY- empty) corner room, moved the bassinet and cradle into the corner room as well as the rocking chair (NO it is NOT a nursery. Don't even go there. :p), as well as DH's (unused) guitar and the pack 'n' play. Moved DH's dresser so I could move the bed over about 3 inches so we can open the closet door properly. Went through (eta: some of) DS1's Legos, dividing them into colours. Rearranged the living room furniture so we have a TV viewing area and a quiet (haha) area for talking and/or reading. This also got the couch out of the dining room area (FINALLY), so now I can set the table up properly. Swept. Put laundry away. Um. I think that's it? Well, I looked for some organizing stuff on Amazon and made a wish list but that doesn't count, right? :o

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page