Momma has food allergies, will Babe inherit them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-19-2010, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am allergic to gluten, dairy and eggs.  After 3 years of abstaining from gluten/diary/eggs I have been able to start eating gluten and dairy in moderation but eggs continue to give me issues.  I just had my first DC 5 weeks ago and am worried about her developing allergies too.  I realize she won't be eating solids for sometime, but most all vaccines contain eggs.  I haven't decided about the whole vaccine issue yet, but what is the likely hood that she would react to the eggs in the vaccines because she is genetically predispositioned to an egg allergy?? I am really over thinking this and worrying about nothing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 11:51 AM

From what I understand (which isn't a lot, admittedly) kids inherit the potential to have allergies in general, and not the specific allergies. So you being allergic to egg means an increased risk that your dd will have allergies, but they could be to any food. It doesn't mean she's more likely to be allergic to egg.

Do you know if you have actual allergies, rather than intolerances? Sometimes it's hard to tell from symptoms alone (depending on the symptoms).

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 12-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That's what our allergist said as well, and the GI doctor. It is a tendency toward allergies/intolerances that is inherited, not specific ones. And that includes seasonal allergies, food allergies, and food intolerances. So if you have food allergies/intolerances and your DH has seasonal allergies for instance, it's even more likely (this is my family).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM

Both of our girls got my dairy intolerance and DD1 picked up my intolerance to gluten as well, only she has very different symptoms.   With DD2 as soon as I figured out what was causing her colic I removed ALL dairy from my diet for 1 year while EBF and while she still has minor issues keeping her off it for a full year did wonders.

I didn't even realize I was intolerant to dairy AND gluten until this last February. Having removed both from my diet has changed my life, I never dreamed I could feel so good after suffering from chronich illnesses and autoimmune diseases for 33 of my 34 years.  Sinsi

My goal in keeping the triggers out of our kids diets is to prevent all the health problems I suffered from for so many years.

Kudo's to you for being aware and trying to keep your LO healthy.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:10 PM

I'd think she was more likely to develop food issues/allergies since you have them. My husband had many many food allergies + enviromental as a child and still does, although not as severe. 2/3 of our children inherited the allergies.

Tags
Food Items , Feeding Your Allergic Child Happy Food For Healthy Kids
User Tag List