Wondering abt. DS's Cough... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 12-28-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son often has a dry, hacking cough that doesn't break up, even when I try things I wouldn't normally (like Tussin, etc...).  He had a very light cold a month ago and he still gets the dry cough, esp. late in the day.  We do have a woodstove and a dusty old house and I've wondered if he is having some sort of asthma reaction bc I've heard that sometimes it can just show up as a cough.  He made funny coughing noises even as a baby and his cry often sounded funny and people would think he was sick even when he was fine.  He was exposed to some mold in our house when he was just a few weeks old and we had to replace all our floors.  Also, he has celiac disease but not sure if that is related.  He can have dairy, now, without obvious problems except that he can't drink milk or have ice cream without having sleep difficulties.  I wonder if the cheese could be causing extra mucous that bothers him.  Anyone have any experience with this type of chronic cough?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 PM

My 3yo has this too. We're pretty sure he has asthma. My DD has it and shes allergic to dust mites.

#3 of 4 Old 12-30-2010, 08:09 PM

My son had a dry hacking cough from about 8mos old, it was terrible at night and would wake him a few times a night.  Our family dr was not concerned so we went to a naturopath.  After doing sensitivity testing we took him off wheat and dairy and his cough was cleared up in a wk.  When we aren't great about his diet like just recently with the holidays his cough will come back.

#4 of 4 Old 03-26-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well - taking out dairy did the trick, almost immediately.  I don't want to have to keep him off of it bc it is bad enough that he can never have gluten again, but WOW.  Cough was gone after about 2 days off of all dairy.  Could be coincidence, but behaviors were better too...  Thanks, Mamas!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page